Thai Wife Flying To Uk

Some advise please.

The GF at the time came to the UK for a visit earlier this year. We flew together so I filled her arrival / departure landing card for her. She will now fly over on her own with her settlement visa within her passport. Does she need to fill one of these out as she will be here 27 months and hopefully for longer.

My questions are

Does she fill one in.

If so what would the return date be.

I'm leaning on your experiences. Thanks

All non British, EU, EEA or Swiss passport holders have to fill in a landing card when entering the UK.

The landing card doesn't ask for a date of leaving, it asks for the length of stay. I would put "indefinitely" or "coming to live" or similar. The immigration officer will see that she has a settlement visa and so wont be expecting her to have an exact date for when, or even if, she next travels out of the UK.

landing_card.jpg

Be sure to explain to ur Mrs to fill in the landing card as best as she can, anything missing could cause delay, me and the wife arrived back from Thailand a few weeks ago and in manchester my Mrs didnt put down her occupation in UK, This caused delay and had to fill in properly and had to go to the back again.

The women was so ignorent, what the <deleted> has that got to do with her, my Mrs has ILR for <deleted> sake.

Tossers at manchester imigration, never a problem a heathrow.

Lee

He didn't say his Mrs was thick. Why do people assume a Thai coming to the UK is thick? Of course she can fill out a form!!!! He asked a question and he got the answer, don't assume his Mrs can do what any 11 year old could do.

Thats why forums piss me right off and I rarely write on them.

No, but as he filled it in for her when she visited indicates that she may not be able to read and write English very well. In which case giving her an example to copy would be a great help, would it not?

When you travel to Thailand do you complete the Thai equivalent in Thai or English?

• Like 1

No, but as he filled it in for her when she visited indicates that she may not be able to read and write English very well. In which case giving her an example to copy would be a great help, would it not?

When you travel to Thailand do you complete the Thai equivalent in Thai or English?

Yeh, that's a fair assumption I guess. But she must have enough English to fill a form in unless she didnt go to school a P3 kid would manage that.

I complete the Thai landing card in Thai but I lived and worked in Thailand.

I'm glad that you can read and write Thai, and envious.

I don't, however, have your confidence in the ability of the average Thai to fill in a form in English.

My wife and step-daughter couldn't when they first came to live in the UK. I did it for them.

My sister-in-law couldn't when she came to visit, she asked the person sat next to her.

My step-son could when he came to visit; but he went to university.

Incidentally, when entering Thailand my step-daughter used to get her mother to fill in the form (what is it called?). Then one trip when she was about 16 she decided to do it herself; but she did it in English. The immigration officer made her fill in another one, saying "If you're Thai, complete this in Thai!"

I'm glad that you can read and write Thai, and envious.

I don't, however, have your confidence in the ability of the average Thai to fill in a form in English.

My wife and step-daughter couldn't when they first came to live in the UK. I did it for them.

My sister-in-law couldn't when she came to visit, she asked the person sat next to her.

My step-son could when he came to visit; but he went to university.

Incidentally, when entering Thailand my step-daughter used to get her mother to fill in the form (what is it called?). Then one trip when she was about 16 she decided to do it herself; but she did it in English. The immigration officer made her fill in another one, saying "If you're Thai, complete this in Thai!"

I wouldn't be too envious, my Thai is <deleted> but I can read and write basics as any Thai child with a P3 education could....

The questionaire asks very simplistic questions that your 'average Thai' would be able to answer, I find it hard to believe that a Thai kid aged 16 wouldn't be able to fill it in correctly assuming they have got past P3, certainly no need for a university education!!!!!! OK, I undertstand that your sister in law perhaps couldn't but surely your wife could unless of course that she cannot read?

1. Family name

2. First name

3. Sex (2 examples male / female)

4. Town and country of birth

5. Nationality

6. Contract addess in UK...

flight number

etc etc etc

All of these words are ones Thai kids would have been learning at school from a very early age. words like Family, name, male, female, town in UK, address, nationality, birth. basic quesiton forms etc etc etc.

I can only assume that your wife was able to communuicate verbally with you at that time and perhaos she had a low level of educatuion, along with the Thai daughter (in law). I do appreciate that some Thais in poor areas of Isaan do not have access to education but really mate, my 9 year old nephews would have those words in the english language mind bank!!!

He didn't say his Mrs was thick. Why do people assume a Thai coming to the UK is thick? Of course she can fill out a form!!!! He asked a question and he got the answer, don't assume his Mrs can do what any 11 year old could do.

quote also from alanrobson

"PS I am not an educated chap and I can't get my head around this and past the introductory links like the one above."

You are, in one thread, asking for detailed advice; and in this thread criticising constructive comments made by "people obviously much more educated than yourself". Be careful...7by7 and Visa Express are very well respected members of this forum. The forum that "pisses you off"

For your information:-

I live in Chiang Mai with my Thai wife who is in her 50's. She was brought up in San Sai just north of the city. She went to school there where she learned to read and write Thai, she is very intelligent. She feels very fortunate since she has a sister a couple of years older who cannot read or write Thai. In those days, they did not teach English, so she would be in the same situation as the OP.

I'm sure there are many Thai wife's of the same age who are in the same situation.

Be sure to explain to ur Mrs to fill in the landing card as best as she can, anything missing could cause delay, me and the wife arrived back from Thailand a few weeks ago and in manchester my Mrs didnt put down her occupation in UK, This caused delay and had to fill in properly and had to go to the back again.

The women was so ignorent, what the <deleted> has that got to do with her, my Mrs has ILR for <deleted> sake.

Lee

Immigration are like referees - they are always right. You seem to be like Joey Barton and could be looking at a 12 visit ban if you're not carefulbiggrin.png .

I came thru Manc a month ago with Thai family. They were sweet to us but some Chinese family were being given the third degree and waterboarding treatment at the desk - unnecessarily viscious in my view, although the applicant clearly had big issues. As we arrived at the desk one immi guy said to the other. Keep those guys over their to sweat it out - the son is a f***ing Pain in the @rse. Completely out of order they should let us hear that in my view.

I know a lot of current and former Immigration Officers and I have to say that the vast majority are decent people earning a living and doing a thankless task to the best of their ability.

There are of course the few described in previous posts that beggar belief and have no place the the UKBA.

Unfortunately it's idiots like these, and I have come across very few on a personal or professional basis, but come across them I have, that stick in the mind of the hapless passenger, sorry I mean customer, not the vast majority that are doing a good job.

Sorry if I've wondered off topic 7by7, but I think it needs to be said.

Lee

So thieir in the wrong because you did not fill in the document right., What has it got to do with them is they are the UK Border Agency and decide and are responsible for immigration. There is quite alot of time on the flight to check and re-check, and getting it wrong does cause delays to people behind in the line. They have been in bother for not proccesing fast enough, so what else can they do? Does say Occupation/Proffesion. Maybe at heathrow you managed to fill in the card right.

As you are probably aware most of the British population do not think the UKBA are strict enough.

quote also from alanrobson

"PS I am not an educated chap and I can't get my head around this and past the introductory links like the one above."

You are, in one thread, asking for detailed advice; and in this thread criticising constructive comments made by "people obviously much more educated than yourself". Be careful...7by7 and Visa Express are very well respected members of this forum. The forum that "pisses you off"

Dont really get the point you are trying to make....Im not educated, I didn't go to uni, I left schoool at 14. I can still fill out a form this small, its the settlement visa I had issues with,

And yes, it does piss me off when people assume all Thais are dense and cant manage what a 11 year old can,

For your information:-

I live in Chiang Mai with my Thai wife who is in her 50's. She was brought up in San Sai just north of the city. She went to school there where she learned to read and write Thai, she is very intelligent. She feels very fortunate since she has a sister a couple of years older who cannot read or write Thai. In those days, they did not teach English, so she would be in the same situation as the OP.

I'm sure there are many Thai wife's of the same age who are in the same situation.

Thanks for sharing. But we are talking about Thai kids and also those kids in Uni. And I did say I could understand if his sister in law couldnt read it and I did also say that alot of poor Thais cant access education.

And yes, a lot of Thais in their 50 from poor households can't read though most can read Thai! So your wife's sister is certainly in a very small minority despite her age.

I did for my MIL and my wife, although my wife can speak English well enough to pass any test. Just easier for me to do, not about their abilities.

Well said. Even though I can write Thai, Her in doors always writes all our correspondence.

I know a lot of current and former Immigration Officers and I have to say that the vast majority are decent people earning a living and doing a thankless task to the best of their ability.

There are of course the few described in previous posts that beggar belief and have no place the the UKBA.

Unfortunately it's idiots like these, and I have come across very few on a personal or professional basis, but come across them I have, that stick in the mind of the hapless passenger, sorry I mean customer, not the vast majority that are doing a good job.

Sorry if I've wondered off topic 7by7, but I think it needs to be said.

So how come you know lots of immigration officers? Its unusual unless you were one.

Any Thai or any foreigner for that matter, living in the UK that cant fill out that form needs to be deported. And before alll the Thai apologists start my opinion won't change.

It pisses me right off with all the immigrants in the UK who have been here years and can't even speak English. I have an indian mate.....born in the UK and he has to take days off to take his aged parents to the Docs....neither speak any more than basic English!!! Really basic!!!!

Terrible really and a dam_n good job they brought in that life in UK test.

So how come you know lots of immigration officers? Its unusual unless you were one.

It's not really relevant why I know so many current and former Immigration Officers, the fact is I do.

No I wasn't an Immigration Officer, but is that relevant?

It's not really relevant why I know so many current and former Immigration Officers, the fact is I do.

All this talk of relevance, why did you think it relevant to include it then above? Was it relevant then but is not relevant when asked why you had some many immigration contacts?

No I wasn't an Immigration Officer, but is that relevant?

I guess that depends on the revelance of the initial statement? It is relevant if you are offering an opinion based on the relavence to your plethora of immigration contacts. Its not relevant if your initial statement had no relevance at all to the discussion.

What do you think OldGit? Is any of it actually relevant?

Of course it's relevant to say that there is no place in the UKBA for Immigration Officers who treat passengers with discourtesy or rudeness.

It's also relevant for me to say that in my dealings with IO's on a personal and professional basis and I found that most of them carried out their duties to a very high standard.

What isn't relevant is whether I was an IO myself, there are many grades within the UKBA not all are IO's, there also many people who come into contact with IO's in the course of their work, or personal dealings.

Yeh, that's a fair assumption I guess. But she must have enough English to fill a form in unless she didnt go to school a P3 kid would manage that.

I complete the Thai landing card in Thai but I lived and worked in Thailand.

I would fill in one for her to copy. Travelling is stressful, especially if it is the first time she has flown on her own. It is more a case of confidence than ability and is one less thing for your wife to worry about! These things used to fluster my wife who speaks and writes pretty good English.

And what makes you think that his wife lacks confidence so much that this would be outstrip her ability? And she'd get flustered at the thought of answering some VERY basic questions on a form when she has the skillls to answer them....

You boys have some really <deleted> up ideas with regards Thai women .

And what makes you think that his wife lacks confidence so much that this would be outstrip her ability? And she'd get flustered at the thought of answering some VERY basic questions on a form when she has the skillls to answer them....

At the risk of 'feeding the troll', what harm can it possibly do to provide a template for someone to fill in a form in a language not their own? I have made enough mistakes filling in the Thai version of the form over the years despite having a university degree! My wife became a bit of a 'frequent flyer' so very quickly these things became second nature to fill in.

His wife can chose to use it if she wishes, ignore it if she wants to.

Of course it's relevant to say that there is no place in the UKBA for Immigration Officers who treat passengers with discourtesy or rudeness.

It's also relevant for me to say that in my dealings with IO's on a personal and professional basis and I found that most of them carried out their duties to a very high standard.

What isn't relevant is whether I was an IO myself, there are many grades within the UKBA not all are IO's, there also many people who come into contact with IO's in the course of their work, or personal dealings.

Relevance is only relative to opinion then, no? I wonder if it is relevant to include your relative statement regards rudeness. What does it have to do with filling out a form, is there any releveance to the wider readership rather than just it being relevant to you?

As you say, it is relevant, to you, to tell us about your personal and professional dealing with immigration officers, it could be argued, relatively, that is irrelevant to the discssion.

Your personal assumption on the realtive way in which IO are professional is irrelevant to the discussion but is relevant to you. So, the readers must approach it as such as disregard its relevance to the discussion. All expereienced are relative.

So, logically, then despite being irrelevant to you, the question regards your connection to the IO's is relevant to me, as a poster, as much as your opinion on the relative skills of an IO is relevant to you.

Agreed?