Which Place In Thailand Holds The Best Memories For You?

smokie36

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Koh Samed the first week in Thailand,

Diving outside Koh Larn the first week in Thailand.

The first month with my first non-prostitute gf.

And a bunch of years in gogo bar's drunk beyond oblivion.

• Like 2

AoNang - Krabi 23 years ago. Magic !!!!

3 hotels - few other tourists - only one restaurant not attached to one of the hotels.

Intimate, very private whistling.gif beaches for us alone on the small islands, in the evening campfires on the beach with the locals (fresh seafood).

If it wasn't for the fact that I've had a vasectomy long ago I would have made my wife pregnant under the stars.

Have been going minimum 1 time a year for the following 15 years but it's spoiled now. Too bad.

Fantastic memories abound.

Yermaneewai.gif

• Like 2

Phuket about four and a half years ago, with my GF (now wife) pre-honeymoon trip, stayed at the Old Phuket in the Jacuzzi Small Chalet rooms, has now expanded and not been for a while. Had a great time, best laugh was that I buried my feet in sand and did not think about the heat, next day big blisters all over my feet, red raw my GF laughed all the way back home to Bangkok.

• Like 1

Phuket about four and a half years ago, with my GF (now wife) pre-honeymoon trip, stayed at the Old Phuket in the Jacuzzi Small Chalet rooms, has now expanded and not been for a while. Had a great time, best laugh was that I buried my feet in sand and did not think about the heat, next day big blisters all over my feet, red raw my GF laughed all the way back home to Bangkok.

I had the same happen at Margate many years ago when my then GF's 4 year old did the same thing. Had to take a week off work. Not the happiest memory! biggrin.png

Although not an exact location I would like to add this as well.

I was lucky enough to find myself on a yacht somewhere off Phi Phi on a clear night. The stars that night were simply spectacular....a real treat for anyone.

If you ever have the chance then you should experience this....a wonderful memory. wub.png

Amnat Charoen Town Hall (where I married my wife)

Bangkok Christian Hospital (where I saw my kids for the first time, via ultrasound)

McDonalds at Robinsons, Asoke (where I discovered the Double Big Mac)

• Like 2

Amnat Charoen Town Hall (where I married my wife)

Bangkok Christian Hospital (where I saw my kids for the first time, via ultrasound)

McDonalds at Robinsons, Asoke (where I discovered the Double Big Mac)

Visit Amsterdam brit....I will introduce you to a far better bit of meat. thumbsup.gif

Edited by smokie36

Watching the sun rise and sun set on Long Beach, Krabi when I was alone. I think I found true inner peace at that moment. wai.gif

Please post pics

At that particular time, I didn't take pics. I just sat there in awe with my mouth open. It was breath taking. Also I don't think pictures will do it justice. It was more of an emotional thing for me as well as the beauty of what I was seeing. I just remember walking back to my bungalow with the biggest smile on my face and feeling so happy. </soppy>

• Like 1

Watching the sun rise and sun set on Long Beach, Krabi when I was alone. I think I found true inner peace at that moment. wai.gif

Please post pics

At that particular time, I didn't take pics. I just sat there in awe with my mouth open. It was breath taking. Also I don't think pictures will do it justice. It was more of an emotional thing for me as well as the beauty of what I was seeing. I just remember walking back to my bungalow with the biggest smile on my face and feeling so happy. </soppy>

And there I was thinking you were a hard Mancunian! biggrin.png

Its great that we all have such moments....more please! thumbsup.gif

With the GF on the back and tanking along an (up to now) perfect road in rural Surin, suddenly patches of cut branches started to appear, each one marking where a steaming pile of fresh tarmac had been laid to fill the potholes. After a couple of kilometres or so it was like traversing a slalom course and then...up ahead...

...The black gang, working with hot tar in blazing sunshine, downing tools as they saw us approach, beaming and shouting "Hello Farang!" and waving their hats in the air as we weaved between them.

Daft buggers!laugh.png Had to stop at the next village to recover from laughing at the pure friendliness those chaps showed. Wouldn't get that sort of response in any 'normal' country. Must be why Thailand appeals so much.

Oh no......an impossible task......my best memory of Thailand.......can we make it my best 100 memories of Thailand??? Even that would be a struggle. The country is outstanding. wub.png

Some of you will have seen this before, I've had to edit this story to fit this topic..........the background is that I didn't want to come to Thailand because of all the bad press......this encounter on my first day was a blessing, so it was the beginning of my love affair with Thailand........here goes.................

....................................................................................................................

My first trip to Thailand was Feb 2008, I had done a business deal and I was taken on holiday to Pattaya as a bonus. I was reluctant to go as I had heard all the usual nonsense about Thailand, but being Scottish I couldn't see the holiday go to waste.

I duly turned up at the hotel opposite Wonderful Bar 2 and you can imagine I was blown away with my first sight of Pattaya. The first afternoon there was live entertainment in the bar, so I wandered across and sat down on one of the stools. There was an older English guy doing his turn, and he had a good voice.

Once he finished he came to over my way and mentioned I had blagged his seat, I skipped up one and he sat with me. He asked me if it was my first time in Thailand, he must have smelled the newness off me. I said it was and to cut a long story short he launched into this story. If he is reading this, I hope he knows the impression he made on me.

" I was 59 and living in London when I lost my wife, I couldn't handle it, I loved that woman so much. For 18 months I was like a zombie, going to work, coming home, drinking by myself every night and just wanting it all to end, I was so miserable. My daughter kept pleading with me to get on with my life, but my life died with my wife. One day my daughter came into the house with my best friend, they had bought me a holiday to Thailand to try and get me out of my shell. I refused to go, no way I could contemplate going on holiday, it would be a betrayal of the memory of my wife, how could I enjoy myself?

My daughter burst into tears, and I relented, I was a miserable sod but now I was hurting my kids too. The day came for me to fly to Thailand and never was there a more reluctant tourist than me, all the way over I didn't want to be going on holiday, I was betraying my wife. I got to Pattaya and I was miserable, angry with myself for agreeing to come and the first day I was a nightmare, by day two I was starting to relax a little bit, and by day three I was starting to enjoy myself.

By the time the two weeks were over I went home and my daughter was ecstatic, she could see happiness in me, as she had already lost her Mum, and she felt she lost her Dad that day too. It was all I could do but get to work, save up and get back out again.

He went on to say.............The first girlfriend you get in Thailand is always the hardest to get rid of, you end up entrapped and unsure and that was a nightmare for me. Eventually it all ended, and I took up with another lady that didn't work out either, and it went on until I met my lady here.

I retired from my job, moved over here and got married, my best pal did the same thing and two other friends have moved here too. We all stay in the same villa, we get up at about 10.00am and go for a swim, the wives make brunch, we sit and eat together, and we all take off in different directions for the afternoon. Today I'm here because I love a sing song, my wife here is a sweetheart ( I would say she was about 54, and the gent I was talking to would be about 67 at the time ), and she looks after me so well.

He went on to say..........

" I would give all this up right now for my wife, I loved that woman so much, I would give up everything to be with her again........I thought my life was over when my wife died, but Thailand has given me a second chance at life............"

I hope that gentleman is still going strong and still loving life in Pattaya, and I bet you there are many men reading this and recognizing a bit of themselves in it........I think that was one of the best phrases I have ever heard in my life.

" Thailand has given me a second chance at life "

seriously, was a larger croc o' &lt;deleted&gt; ever wrote?

i remember the first time you shared it, and suspect i had the same reaction.

i remember the southern family who became my family.

18 years later their daughters tend mine.

18 years later i cant actually spend money in their restaurant.

18 years later they meet me at the pier

18 years later they drop me off when i leave.

when my parents died, they would not accept money when i left after 3 months

they gave me a jeep because i helped their daughters with school

they deflected the police that time i was wrong.

they called me when they were ill, but did not believe the doctor.

they actually preserved that toe in plastic, even though i was joking.

they visit with a whole barracuda as a gift.

they will never understand that i owe them more than they could ever owe me

by the way, i still have the toe as a keychain, and they demand to see it every time i see them