Which Place In Thailand Holds The Best Memories For You?

smokie36

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picking our way through the small islands south of Phuket on our 65' ketch just as the sun was coming up, at the tail end of a trip from Singapore. Crystal clear water, dolphins playing at the bow. It was a Saturday, and on board we had power tools, TV's, stereos, a couple of motor bikes and other bits and pieces. We actually pulled in to Phuket just after mid-day, to find that customs and immigration at the port closed up at mid-day Saturday, giving us 36 hours to dispose of our cargo. We ran the zodiac back and forth and accepted the assistance of the off-duty customs and immigration guys in this exercise, in exchange for a couple of TV's and a stereo or three.

The cargo was duly disposed of and customs and immigration solemnly stepped aboard on the Monday morning in their crisp, clean uniforms and with totally straight faces processed us into the country. That Monday morning was my introduction to Phuket and I remember thinking "yeah - I think I'm going to like this place".

With the boat safe, we went to Patong Beach, where there was no mains electricity and Nipa huts offered accomodation on the beach side of the road for about 25-30 baht a night. Two cars could barely pass on that road. Coconut plantations grew right up to the road, there was one guesthouse that had a second story. Patong had one cop who knocked off at 6.00pm, then went and opened his beer bar shack where he also supplied marijuana to the handful of guests. It was so un-touristy you could stand on that great crescent of beach and maybe not see a soul. It was wonderful. It was in the 1970's.

Last time I was there would be 1995 and Patong had become a city. Don't want to go there ever again - we had the best when it was the best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have two places so there will be two entries ... will just have a get a nice photo of the other ...

For me, Thailand is about it's people and not so much about the place.

Want to know more about

Fish Farms or a simple Australian Visa Application ?

Finally I got a photo of the other place that means a lot to me.

This is the sitting gazebo (for want of a better descriptor) on the Pond's edge where I have sat for many an hour with the Farm Family while they are rabbiting on in Thai as they occasionally glance my way to see if I have nodded off.

It's also the place to find a cool sleeping place on a Hot Thai Summer day ... always a breeze.

post-104736-0-42431400-1339074845_thumb.

Doesn't look much without being populated with the Family ... but it's been a source of constant joy and contentment in Thailand.

post-104736-0-18233300-1339074962_thumb. post-104736-0-31059900-1339075131_thumb.

Sunsets looking back across the Fish Pond.
Edited by David48
  • Like 1