US Embassy Bangkok Complained Over Lady Gaga's Fake Rolex Tweet

webfact

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are these officials really alive ???? saying it will hurt Thailands image.... It is them that is harming Thailands image by talking Shizen, and or not stopping the sales of millions of them. I do admit you have to search hard to find a sellercheesy.gif . All this adverse publicity is in favour of ugly Gaga, and mega company Rolex. Scams and the Bib + corrupt officials are hurting Thailands image----really we can't call them officials, as most of them are there to line their own pockets, not for giving Thailand a fresh transparent start.

Some of you may remember awhile back when the then chief of police said on TV that some police officers were corrupt but, that he could understand it as the salaries were very low!!

In other words he didn't give a toss, he has no intention of changing anything, he's made his bit-and while in his job no doubt he will be adding to that. salaries low, what a lame dog sick pig excuse. He should be shown the door for that comment. Keep it in the family--(Family Fortunes)

It's a dam_n good thing she didn't say she wanted to buy some fake Ray Bans. Could have caused an outright ban on all U.S. visitors and expulsion of U.S. citizens already here. Music Queen vs. Thai government Drama Queens.

Que rico! Only Thailand would escalate a truthful, offhand comment about fake watches into a diplomatic crisis. These people obviously have no idea of Thailand's image on the world stage. If they did, the loss of face might actually trigger them into action to clean up their act.

• Like 1

We are told that Thais don't like to lose face. It's obviously "fake". Thais work hard to be ridiculous in the face of the world.

They just have to shut their mouth and they'll win over the Nobel Prize, Lady Gaga.

This article has to be a joke...

Everyone already knows that Thailand is the place to go for pirated goods.

When I was shopping for a new laptop even the bigger chain stores offered me a "free" install of Windows 7 and "anything else that you want - just write down a list." I can't even dream of this happening back home.

How can they even argue this when the rolexes and masses of other pirated goods are right out there in the open on the street...

What can cause a bad image more than the current government.. Get a life and sort your own backyard out first.. corrupt government and ploice,, maybe the u.s Embassy should complain about this too

Despite the wording of the headline, did the US Embassy complain about anything?

More of the same. Further evidence that the Kingdom's government and people have completely checked out of reality.

Because an individual made a comment that he probably felt obliged to make (as politicians and government employess in any country might do), that means the entire government and all the citizens of Thailand have "checked out of reality??"

Have you ever listened to the laughable bilge pumped out by European, American or Australian officials on a daily basis? No one takes it seriously. It's what politicians do. Listen to Cameron explain his distance from all the Murdoch-exposed corruption in his government or the British police deal with all the corruption they're charged with. No one even assumes they're saying anything remotely connected to reality.

Edited by Suradit69

The irony is: Rolex is not even Americans.

The complaint is about Lady Gaga being American and bringing some disrespect to Thailand, not the country of watch origin. wink.png

May I complain at the Austrian embassy for Lady Gaga being American and not Austrian?

If I understand it right the American embassy has no power to close Lady Gagas mouth.....

This article really cracked me up.

This past weekend, I was shopping at Central Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai. I was looking for a Mophie Juice Pack Plus battery case for my iPhone. The store I went to had them hanging on the rack with the other cases. The price was about 990 baht. Since the information on the box was in Thai, I asked the clerk how long the warranty was. He said 2 months. I joked with I'm and said, "2 months? Jing, jing?" He said yes, since it was the fake version is only had a two month warranty. He then showed me the real item which has a 1 year warranty. The price was also over 3000 baht. I must say that I was impressed with his honesty though I can only assume that he wasn't worried about telling me it was a fake since any enforcement for selling counterfits was unlikely.

Of course, I wasn't looking for a Rolex. laugh.png

David

Pantip Plaza Chiang Mai - for the very best in fake computers and parts and programmes also, the cheapest DVD's in town - buy 10 get two free!

Actually better known for bootlegs than actual fakes.

The PC makers at Pantip can build some serious Over-Clocked iron for gamers, right up there with major western cities, but it's the bootleg software that always gets the raids.

It's copies of originals, with registration and password cracks added,

not software pretending to be real. It's real just not licensed.

The Rolexes are nothing but look alike knock offs.

So, what does that have to do with the price of eggs in China?

Although you and some others have criticized the comment, it was relevant. The US would have no legal interest in responding to an allegation of trademark/trade dress on a rolex. Therefore, it would not even have registered at the US trade desk. Hence, the US would not have even been involved, nor cared. In any case, the US wasn't involved and this is all the newspaper's creation.

Carry on.

• Like 1

i only have 2 questions and would love to know the answer

Why did they complain and what outcome do they want/expect?

You seriously don't understand why they complained?

And you really have no clue what they would like to see be the outcome of all this?

How long have you been here?

They complained because in their eyes she made Thailand look bad. It's been said multiple times in hundreds of posts on this subject.

What would they like to see as an outcome... probably something that makes them save face.. an apology or something like that. Of course what they want and what will happen are completely different.

• Like 1

Although you and some others have criticized the comment, it was relevant. The US would have no legal interest in responding to an allegation of trademark/trade dress on a rolex. Therefore, it would not even have registered at the US trade desk. Hence, the US would not have even been involved, nor cared. In any case, the US wasn't involved and this is all the newspaper's creation.

Carry on.

In the eyes of the US she has broken no laws by her tweet. Regardless of what country rolex was registered in the US cannot discipline her for her actions. On the other hand this is Thailand and if the Thai gov wants to blacklist her then they have the right to do so for whatever reason they want. Once again, this has nothing to do with the embassy nor America.

i only have 2 questions and would love to know the answer

Why did they complain and what outcome do they want/expect?

You seriously don't understand why they complained?

And you really have no clue what they would like to see be the outcome of all this?

How long have you been here?

They complained because in their eyes she made Thailand look bad. It's been said multiple times in hundreds of posts on this subject.

What would they like to see as an outcome... probably something that makes them save face.. an apology or something like that. Of course what they want and what will happen are completely different.

Thank you for your explanation, you should consider applying for a PR role in that department, as you seem to know all there is to know about Thailand and its culture, after all with all your YEARS of experience, there is not much leftthumbsup.gif

As to your question how long i been here, well only 11 years, clearly not nearly as long as you, so i still have a long way to go and do hope you can educate me in future threads.wai.gifpost-4641-1156694083.gif

• Like 1

Obviously things are going very well in Thailand if this is what is on people's minds. Not like millions of folks don't head to NY City (Gaga's home town) every year to buy cheap crack and heroin.

The complaint is about Lady Gaga being American and bringing some disrespect to Thailand, not the country of watch origin. wink.png

May I complain at the Austrian embassy for Lady Gaga being American and not Austrian?

If I understand it right the American embassy has no power to close Lady Gagas mouth.....

Of course they don't.

Carry on.

In the eyes of the US she has broken no laws by her tweet. Regardless of what country rolex was registered in the US cannot discipline her for her actions. On the other hand this is Thailand and if the Thai gov wants to blacklist her then they have the right to do so for whatever reason they want. Once again, this has nothing to do with the embassy nor America.

Yet another case of Thai authorities not thinking through the situation and what their reaction should be. But no, the knee-jerk reaction is to lay blame at the feet of those who spoke the truth, instead of examining the validity of the statement and the reasons it was made in the first place. Much like a 3 year old that threw their toys from the pram.

Oh my, are you for real. Some Thais are borderline onbcessive retards if they have to go to the YS embassy over this one. Let see, go after fake Rolex market if don't like image this creates, but upset because someone comments on is just plain. . . . I cannot even find the words for it especially when your country is known for brothels, pedophiles, lady boys and drunken free for alls.

Thais are also too near sighted to realize Lady Gaga perhaps loves this attention. The type of people inclined to buy her records will just be more interested in her now. Great publicity for her. Free publicity is the best kind.

Thailand has demonstrated serious attempts to suppress IPR violations for a long time.

Seriously? Serious attempts? Try harder, if you seriously want people not to equate Thailand with fake stuff.