Have The Long Neck Women Gone Back To Burma?

jackr

I heard recently that the long necks have been shipped back to Burma, but maybe some had been left in Mae Hong Son. Can anyone confirm this and if they have any info that they will likely be moved. I have some friends coming to Chiang Mai in a few weeks and they only fancy going on to Mae Hong Son if the long necks are there.

cheers

I heard recently that the long necks have been shipped back to Burma, but maybe some had been left in Mae Hong Son. Can anyone confirm this and if they have any info that they will likely be moved. I have some friends coming to Chiang Mai in a few weeks and they only fancy going on to Mae Hong Son if the long necks are there.

cheers

As near as I can tell there are no long neck women left who do it out of a sense of culture. These days they do it because someone pays them to do it. They are like carnival freaks. In exchange for monthly pay these women deform their bodies and in effect cripple themselves. Anyone who goes to see them and spends any money at their village or pays a tour operator to take them or even buys a postcard with their picture on it is supporting this self mutilation. Actually in many/most cases it is not even self mutilation...parents do this to their daughters to support the family. Its really just another form of exploiting children/women. I won't go to a village that has long neck women since I don't want to support or look at this mutilation....maybe your friends are different.

cheers

From what i've heard (& seen) the long necks (padaung) can be seen in Mae Hong Sorn right next to the border in what appeared to be a refugee camp. It's a tourist trap and a bit embarrasing when you go in though.

Sav

cheers

As near as I can tell there are no long neck women left who do it out of a sense of culture. These days they do it because someone pays them to do it. They are like carnival freaks. In exchange for monthly pay these women deform their bodies and in effect cripple themselves. Anyone who goes to see them and spends any money at their village or pays a tour operator to take them or even buys a postcard with their picture on it is supporting this self mutilation. Actually in many/most cases it is not even self mutilation...parents do this to their daughters to support the family. Its really just another form of exploiting children/women. I won't go to a village that has long neck women since I don't want to support or look at this mutilation....maybe your friends are different.

Thanks for that but I didn't ask for your views on the matter. I doubt they did it for tourism orginally; more like the males made their women that way so their buddy or someone from another tribe wouldn't want to be seen trying to steal his bird. Makes more sense than the tiger carrying them away by the neck story.

This is the best forum in Internet land for gleaning information on Muang Thai, but it really does get my back up when righteous so and so's try to impress their values instead of giving out some useful information.

cheers

From what i've heard (& seen) the long necks (padaung) can be seen in Mae Hong Sorn right next to the border in what appeared to be a refugee camp. It's a tourist trap and a bit embarrasing when you go in though.

Sav

Yeah, I went there a while back but heard they may have been moved out. Just wanted some confirmation. Cheers