Google & Wal Mart To Debut New Computer

Boon Mee

I have the feeling that anyone who buys such a machine will very soon be regreting it.

Unless they are limited to wp, email and the net?

Then again that might be the whole idea.

A computer loss leader................... :o

Hmm...I don't know... :o

These 'Google' guys are not fools and it's just a matter of time that someone launches a 'cheap' and simple version of the PC (portable or not). Like they are doing now for the poor with a mobile/cellphone as well.

In 90% of the cases people just use their PC for what?....email+internet I would think.

So, why not create a simple version?

LaoPo

It would be great for internet cafes here, where they only need it for an internet connection and without all the bells and whistles.

I agree SBK, but not just for the internet-cafes. Also for the poor(er) to be in touch with their loved ones abroad.

I feel that, IF the Google-story is true, it's a VERY BIG niche market, since the big PC-producers AND Microsoft are still selling their products way too expensive.

Someone had to come up with the idea....wish it was me :o

LaoPo

Google and Wal-Mart expected to debut Google Cube, a no-frills computer. Super Google Brothers expected to be a smash.

It's called an abacus, complete with an HCI (human computer interface) consisting of coloured beads on rust-proof stands of wire, sandwiched between a pair of virus-resistant strips of wood. A bargain if you ask me. :o

this was a rumor started by bloggers with not much else to write about over the christmas new year period

Google has spoken, and the rumors were merely that. According to a Google spokesman, the company won't be releasing a PC, Internet appliance, or web-enabled toaster anytime soon:

"We have many PC partners who serve their markets exceedingly well and we see no need to enter that market," a Google spokesman told Times Online. "We would rather partner with great companies."

That should be the definitive word on the topic, at least until the next set of rumors comes along.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060104-5882.html

Think about it though, why would Google want to enter a high volume low profit industry competing against HP, Dell, Lenovo etc. They have there cash cow advertising and search engine business

Even wallmart has come out to say there is no truth in this story, which was originally published by the WSJ

see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/04/google_denies_pc/ for more info

:o

Edited by moonoi

I agree SBK, but not just for the internet-cafes.

Also for the poor(er) to be in touch with their loved ones abroad.

Then they need:

1. A phone line

2. Free/cheap dial up or broadband

All these equate to monthly expenses...........

What will they give up to pay the bill? The cigarettes, a bottle of booze?? Nah.

Soon it will be just another box down the pawn shop.