Red Licence Plate

Had a good search for this but alas couldn't find but do remember seeing it somewhere

What is significance of a all red bike plate.

I thought these were trade plates that you get when you uy a new bike and waiting for the final black and white to arrive.

Reason I ask is that i saw a Gixxer for sale its a 2007 model and in the photos its got red plates.. rental bike ??

Rgds

Had a good search for this but alas couldn't find but do remember seeing it somewhere

I thought these were trade plates that you get when you uy a new bike and waiting for the final black and white to arrive.

Reason I ask is that i saw a Gixxer for sale its a 2007 model and in the photos its got red plates.. rental bike ??

Rgds

No just a bike with no plate. So they have paid a dealer for the use of a red plate. Dodgy as hell.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Rgds

No just a bike with no plate. So they have paid a dealer for the use of a red plate. Dodgy as hell.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Thanks Thaicbr.. I suspected all was not kosher with it. Cheers.

Im seeing a rash of 600 cc bikes on market and allot are ex rentals.. looked at one yesterday.. repsol fairings all looked nicein pictures but it was an absolute trainwreck...

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that red plate are vehicles waiting to be registered by the dealer, but you are allowed to utilize the bike until the proper white plate is out. How long it takes really depends on the dealers regielstering your bike.

If rental, its usually just a stop gap measure to get the law enforcements off the dealers back. Best to have your own insurance intact if you wish to rent from them! :)

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Apparently some provinces do the red plates (or what we called "temporary tags back in the States) for new motorbikes awaiting final registration and green book, while some do not. Here in Khon Kaen, new bikes are free to be ridden with no plates while awaiting registration. I didn't even know they did red plates for motorbikes until I saw one here (apparently from another province,) as it really stuck out. Of course, they do use red plates for cars and pickups here.

Apparently some provinces do the red plates (or what we called "temporary tags back in the States) for new motorbikes awaiting final registration and green book, while some do not. Here in Khon Kaen, new bikes are free to be ridden with no plates while awaiting registration. I didn't even know they did red plates for motorbikes until I saw one here (apparently from another province,) as it really stuck out. Of course, they do use red plates for cars and pickups here.

this is the same in sakon nahkon, new bikes run with no plate until black and white plate/green book arrives but you do get a document from the dealer to show police if stopped, at least i did with my wee KSR and have seen many other bikes that look new with no plates and I assume it will be the same with my next bigger purchase..

new cars etc red plate as is same everywhere else..

Edited by Rudeboy