Bkk Hospitals For Treatment Of Sciatica

smo

I’m coming to BKK next month to get treatment for my sciatica (pinched-nerve related leg pain). I’ ve seen recommendations on this (or other) forum for Bumrungrad and Bangkok General hospitals, not for sciatica specifically but for general practice. Besides the price difference (the former seems more pricey than the latter), can anyone tell me if there are other relevant differences in regards to the quality of their care/facilities or the qualifications of their staff?

Also is it worth to carry with me any medical insurance from the US? I don’t have any coverage right now but just thought that it’s maybe worth getting one that will also pay for treatment in Thailand. Then which one, anyone knows? Or should I get medical insurance once I get to BKK? If that is recommended, then again, which one?

Thanks in advance for your very helpful advice.

smo

Many health insurance companies from Holland are sending their patients,who are on a waiting list,to u.o. Thailand. Costs fully paid included sometimes accompaning partner. However,this is only valid for patients who are insured with them for a reasonable time.

What I read is, that you like to take an insurance at the border and than go visit the hospital next day??

I doubt if there is any place on earth where it will work that way.

Sorry!

Many health insurance companies from Holland are sending their patients,who are on a waiting list,to u.o. Thailand. Costs fully paid included sometimes accompaning partner. However,this is only valid for patients who are insured with them for a reasonable time.

What I read is, that you like to take an insurance at the border and than go visit the hospital next day??

I doubt if there is any place on earth where it will work that way.

Sorry!

Dutch has to be absolutely correct. There's a waiting period for eligibility and pre- existing conditions will be a problem too.

I don't know your exact situation, but I can probably guess some things.

You have a diagnosis from a US doctor, so you have a record of this condition.

So, you most likely can't purchase a private policy in the US that will cover this condition. If it is not critical, you could try to find employment in the US that has group coverage, and then of course you could have this taken care of in the US. But if you haven't done this, you probably have reasons to seek care out of the US.

I agree that you will not find insurance that will instantly cover your existing condition in Thailand.

However, I think it is fair to say you can get good quality treatment at the better hospitals in Thailand, and the retail price will be significantly less than the same treatment in the US (without insurance).

Good luck from the "richest country in the world" "best medical care in the world", and of 50 million people without health insurance coverage.

my treatment for sciatica was a surgeons knife and due to lack of options at the time was probably best in hindsight.

If you are coming here anyway, try the Chiropractor/MD mentioned in the Chiropractor thread in this section, he may give you another option.

Good luck from the "richest country in the world" "best medical care in the world", and of 50 million people without health insurance coverage.

From the "richest country in the world" "best medical care in the world", but for whom? Definitely not for the 50 million people without health insurance coverage. Such as myself. No greater irony!

Thanks for the elaboration regarding getting health coverage at this point, whether from the US or "at the border." The point is moot because even if I can get it, it is going to be a) expensive and :o full of restrictions and conditions. I have savings put aside for rainy days like this, so I am prepared.

For the past 3 months I also have chiropractic treatment. The pain has abated somewhat. My problem involves both back pains and my leg not getting enough blood supply to function. I will avoid the knife at all cost, but it seems a long-term physical therapy treatment will make a difference. I hope that will be the diagnosis I get from the BKK doctor and I'm prepared to spend a few months in Thailand for the treatment.

Thanks again for all your very helpful and practical advice.

smo

Get a Non-Immigrant O visa before you leave home. That'll enable a 90 day stay in Thailand for medical treatment

What are the requirements to get this kind of visa you know? Will the consulate ask for bank statements or letter from the hospital, etc.?

smo

You will have the very best of treatment in Bumrungrad Hospital...equal to anywhere. My sister in law is an intensive care nurse and I have visited the hospital often, it's like a 5 star hotel and the medical team is trained either here in Oz, UK or US.

You will have the very best of treatment in Bumrungrad Hospital...equal to anywhere. My sister in law is an intensive care nurse and I have visited the hospital often, it's like a 5 star hotel and the medical team is trained either here in Oz, UK or US.

Funny enough I have never come across a doctor at Bumrungrad who is trained in another country. Have a look at their website and search by doctor. Most went to medical school at Chula or another Thai uni. Some have foreign acceditation buts its not exactly the same as going to med school in US, Europe, Australia etc and I suspect that in many cases, they would not be able to practice medicine in those countries. Just look at Toxins degree from Texas and hear him speak English......

Having said that all the doctors I have found at Bumrungrad have been excellent, just dont expect them to be able to talk about restaurants in your home town if thats where they got accredited... Might be no more than a correspondance course studied from Thailand.

You will have the very best of treatment in Bumrungrad Hospital...equal to anywhere.  My sister in law is an intensive care nurse and I have visited the hospital often, it's like a 5 star hotel and the medical team is trained either here in Oz, UK or US.

Funny enough I have never come across a doctor at Bumrungrad who is trained in another country. Have a look at their website and search by doctor. Most went to medical school at Chula or another Thai uni. Some have foreign acceditation buts its not exactly the same as going to med school in US, Europe, Australia etc and I suspect that in many cases, they would not be able to practice medicine in those countries. Just look at Toxins degree from Texas and hear him speak English......

Having said that all the doctors I have found at Bumrungrad have been excellent, just dont expect them to be able to talk about restaurants in your home town if thats where they got accredited... Might be no more than a correspondance course studied from Thailand.

Wanna buy a chip for the other shoulder Digger ? It'll balance you up.

You will have the very best of treatment in Bumrungrad Hospital...equal to anywhere.  My sister in law is an intensive care nurse and I have visited the hospital often, it's like a 5 star hotel and the medical team is trained either here in Oz, UK or US.

Wanna buy a chip for the other shoulder Digger ? It'll balance you up.

haha - only if it comes with a free degree from a US medical school.... :o

Apply at any Thai Consulate in Texas. Put purpose of visit MEDICAL TREATMENT on the application form,with a stay of 90 days. They usually don't ask for much in the way of documentation. Laid back like Dubya Bush.

Dear Dr. Patpong,

I have just received a double-entry tourist visa from the Thai consulate in LA. I applied for this before I got your advice regarding applying for a non-imm type O instead :o

Now can I apply for the type O to the Thai consulate in Texas, in addition to the tourist visa that I have gotten? Or should I go back to the LA consulate and explain to them that a type O would be more convenient for my situation, and please can they change it for me?

My apprehension is that LA being more stringent will ask for more paperwork/document while TX will say why I am applying to them instead of LA.

Any suggestion as how to handle this situation with subtlety that will work?

Thanks,

smo

Her is some advice about LBP (lower back pain) and sciatica down a leg.

I have suffered from this on and off for four years, I am now trouble free.

1. There are no miracle cures, in the old days removal of a disc was the idea, however in the old days bed rest was recommended, this is all wrong now.

2. Cope with the pain and discomfort with painkillers and NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). Don't worry, even if you have to take painkillers for 6-12 months.

3. Get a hard bed, not ridiculously hard but very firm.

4. Do exercises, to strenghthen lower back muscles (any psyotherapist can advise).

5. Drink lots and lots of water, dehydration is a leading cause of lower back pain.

6. Don't waste money on chiropracters/osteopaths and acupuncture and aromatherapy. They appear to work at first, then you WILL relapse.

7. Watch your posture; sit upright. Lie down to watch T.V. don't slouch. Be aware of your posture at all times. Keep the back straight. Lie down whenever you can.

8. Don't worry, 99% of bad backs and sciatica right themselves within 6-12 months.

Believe me I've been there. Stay cool, read above advise again.

Good luck.

S.B.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Syd, for your advice and concern. However, my leg pain has transformed to leg weakness/numbness, which means something is happening to the nerves. So it's not sciatica anymore, it's something else more threatening. I have an appointment with a spine doctor at Bumrungrad a week from today. Will leave for Bkk in two days.

Wish me luck.

smo :o

Thanks, Syd, for your advice and concern. However, my leg pain has transformed to leg weakness/numbness, which means something is happening to the nerves. So it's not sciatica anymore, it's something else more threatening. I have an appointment with a spine doctor at Bumrungrad a week from today. Will leave for Bkk in two days.

Wish me luck.

smo :o

Good luck smo...hope all goes well for you. :D

Your problem seems to be like wife who has calcium buildups in lower lumbar vertebra which rub against nerve and have to be removed by surgery. They will probably want to do an MRI if this is suspected (probably after an x-ray) and work from that. The MRI will cost a bit but will greatly help pinpoint problems and aid in any surgery plans so is worth the money.

From recent (less than good) experience at this hospital advise you pay in cash as they now use Bangkok Bank billing in USD rather than Baht, at a very poor exchange rate, if you use a US credit card.