Fresh Graduate Salary Expectations

I'm going to keep this short and simple. I'm an international student who will be graduating from a university here and am currently interviewing with a private thai company who wish to employ me.

They have notified that they will obtain a work permit for me, and will be expecting a response on my salary requirements. Now, I did some research and from my knowledge, there are minimum salary requirements for obtaining a work permit for a foreigner depending on what country they are from. I fall in the 35,000 category, does this mean that my minimum expectations should be at least 35,000 per month, even though I am believed that it is quite a high sum for local fresh graduates?

I know for a fact that they have employed 2 students in the past year directly from a university here, and they are foreigners. I am guessing that they are at least payed 35,000 a month since I had a chat with them and none of them had left the country to do a visa run. I am aware that a work permit is obtainable even if you are payed below the limit, but one year B visa will not be granted, so one has to rely on visa runs every 3 months.

So, my main question is the expected salary requirements. Any advice would be well appreciated.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are minimum salary requirements for obtaining a work permit
I am aware that a work permit is obtainable even if you are payed below the limit

Labor may have there own requirement for issue of a work permit but it is not a public set amount as Immigration provides for one year extensions of stay, which is 35k for

3. Asian countries (except Japan, South Korea,

Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Cambodia,

Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam),South America

continent, Countries in Eastern Europe, Countries in

Central America, Mexico, Turkey, Russia and South

Africa

But there is no requirement that a person be able to extend and many will be making 90 day visa or border runs during the first year or two of employment (any new company would not be able to provide paperwork for extensions for example).

As to what you should be paid suspect nationality/job position would be critical to know but perhaps your knowledge of others working there that you mention not making border crossings is a good indication 35k would be reasonable; and perhaps this is not really a visa question?

There is no minimum salary requirements for a WP in Thailand, the number you talk about is to be granted extension of stay, ie not visa running every 90 days. Further the company could put you on the books for 35k, get your extension of stay, but this doesnt mean they have to pay you 35k month....There are not minimum salary's specifed for Farangs, I guess the THB 300/day minimum wage would apply though

I would guess that it also depends on the job inquestion. Some jobs are beter paid than other jobs.

Since this is not visa related, I will move your question to the business section.

Sorry about that, thanks for moving it.

There is no minimum salary requirements for a WP in Thailand, the number you talk about is to be granted extension of stay, ie not visa running every 90 days. Further the company could put you on the books for 35k, get your extension of stay, but this doesnt mean they have to pay you 35k month....There are not minimum salary's specifed for Farangs, I guess the THB 300/day minimum wage would apply though

If they put me on the books for 35k, and say they only pay me 25k, isn't that illegal? I mean if they do get audited and are caught with this, will I be in trouble? Is it normal for companies to do this?

I would guess that it also depends on the job inquestion. Some jobs are beter paid than other jobs.

Since this is not visa related, I will move your question to the business section.

If they put me on the books for 35k, and say they only pay me 25k, isn't that illegal? I mean if they do get audited and are caught with this, will I be in trouble? Is it normal for companies to do this?

No why would it be illegal if they were paying the tax on 35k ?..this doesnt mean they have to pay you 35k

No why would it be illegal if they were paying the tax on 35k ?..this doesnt mean they have to pay you 35k

So they could just simply post my income as say 50k, and pay me 20k, and this would be easily enough to obtain a one year extension of stay? I mean don't they have to provide some proof other than their books, like a salary slip or something of that sort?

Given your excellent English skills I would hope that you could anticipate 35k per month, so long as required by the nature of your employment. I guess you already know that many Thai's graduating from Uni have poor English capability

Given your excellent English skills I would hope that you could anticipate 35k per month, so long as required by the nature of your employment. I guess you already know that many Thai's graduating from Uni have poor English capability

If the OP is Thai, why does he need a WP for Thailand then ?...blink.png ...<deleted> are you taking about

Yes, no, and maybe.... At very least, a couple years later if things go bad between you and the company you can goto the labor board and tell them the company shorted you 30K a month for years.

So they could just simply post my income as say 50k, and pay me 20k, and this would be easily enough to obtain a one year extension of stay? I mean don't they have to provide some proof other than their books, like a salary slip or something of that sort?

The issue is I have no work experience whatsoever, and I don't want to expect too much to have them not negotiate at all, but I have talked to a few friends and they suggested to ask for 45k negotiable.

Yes, no, and maybe.... At very least, a couple years later if things go bad between you and the company you can goto the labor board and tell them the company shorted you 30K a month for years.

Thanks. The general impression I got from them is that they are not wanting to cut corners regards to legality of employing a foreign worker, so I can assume they might be generous with the salary.

you can earn 50k ( baht ) working in a UK McDonalds without any English skills, many do.

Edited by highchol

If the OP is Thai, why does he need a WP for Thailand then ?...blink.png ...<deleted> are you taking about

Read the original post, the OP is an international student studying in Thailand.

like a salary slip or something of that sort?

You are getting yourself very confused over things...the extension of stay thing is to do with immigration, I guess you are talking about the tax dept...the 2 never talk to each other different departments

Read the original post, the OP is an international student studying in Thailand.

correct he is not Thai...so why are you going on about his excellent english skills and Thai's having poor english skills then...I still dont know what your point is ?

The issue is I have no work experience whatsoever, and I don't want to expect too much to have them not negotiate at all, but I have talked to a few friends and they suggested to ask for 45k negotiable.

why 45k...go the whole hog and ask for 50

Seriously...with no work experience and a degree in engineering? I'm quite interested in the position but don't want to put them off from hiring me.

Salary expectation is of course dependent on the industry you are aiming to work within. There must be a website in Thailand that talks to graduate salary according to industry or indeed make an appointment with the likes of IBM/Accenture and see that they have to say. Best of luck with your negotiations

correct he is not Thai...so why are you going on about his excellent english skills and Thai's having poor english skills then...I still dont know what your point is ?

Marketability

Marketability

In what way...the companies in Thailand have hassles with work permits when employing farangs so in some respects a farang is less marketable, unless a company really wants them and is prepared to pay the cost

Seriously...with no work experience and a degree in engineering? I'm quite interested in the position but don't want to put them off from hiring me.

Well we employ graduates with engineering degree and no work experience from Thai universities and there base salary is less than 45k the first year without the complications of a WP...so why even 45k ?....if your going to ask 45, why not go 50...its only $160 odd a month difference....

Had a hotel managers job, stated salary for visa was 50,000 Bhat, actual salary was 25,000. Had Work Permit also. When I went for my first extension the first thing Korat Immigration asked for was the tax receipts from the company showing that they had paid taxes on my income. They had not. No receipts, no extension. But I was able to change the visa to retirement, without leaving the country, with the proper documents. So no receipts no extension. The owner told me "I think that you are going to have a problem" and I did.

Salary expectation is of course dependent on the industry you are aiming to work within. There must be a website in Thailand that talks to graduate salary according to industry or indeed make an appointment with the likes of IBM/Accenture and see that they have to say. Best of luck with your negotiations

Graduate salaries in Thailand can be anything from 15k/m to 60-70k/m

Well we employ graduates with engineering degree and no work experience from Thai universities and there base salary is less than 45k the first year without the complications of a WP...so why even 45k ?....if your going to ask 45, why not go 50...its only $160 odd a month difference....

What would you say is the average salary for Thai graduates with no experience? I do see your point. Some of my friends actually told me to ask them what is their offer first.

Had a hotel managers job, stated salary for visa was 50,000 Bhat, actual salary was 25,000. Had Work Permit also. When I went for my first extension the first thing Korat Immigration asked for was the tax receipts from the company showing that they had paid taxes on my income. They had not. No receipts, no extension. But I was able to change the visa to retirement, without leaving the country, with the proper documents. So no receipts no extension. The owner told me "I think that you are going to have a problem" and I did.

So, looks like it can be a problem if they report differences, will keep that in mind. Thanks.

What would you say is the average salary for Thai graduates with no experience? I do see your point. Some of my friends actually told me to ask them what is their offer first.

What industry is it ?....this is important ?

What industry is it ?....this is important ?

It's a private company in the aircraft chartering business. I will graduate with a bachelor's in industrial engineering. The position is related to quality and safety.

Also, one more thing, what is the minimum required salary for a foreigner to be able to get a credit card?

Varies...but I have always understood it to be, depndent on the bank....50-80k/m....need your WP for so many years etc