Smokers Puff On Despite Thai Govt's Anti-Smoking Policies

webfact

HEALTH

Smokers puff on despite govt policies

THE NATION

30183213-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Most people don't think the government's anti-smoking policies can help reduce the number of smokers, a recent Bangkok Poll revealed.

About 74 per cent of the 1,076 respondents said despite the government's efforts, smokers still keep smoking.

These campaigns included printing smoking-related disease pictures on cigarette packs, having celebrities communicate anti-smoking messages to the public and even increasing cigarette taxes that push up the prices,

Only 19 per cent of people said they believed the policies could help reduce number of smokers.

The respondents - from Bangkok and neighbouring provinces - included smokers and non-smokers whose family members smoked. Prof Dr Prakit Vathesatogkit, secretary-general of the Action on Smoking and Health Foundation, said the smoking rate among Thai men had dropped from 60 per cent to 45 per cent over the past 25 years. The smoking rate among women stood at 2.6 per cent.

Although 6 million Thais had given up smoking, the men's rate remained high. The number of smokers reached 13 million, resulting in 50,000 deaths each year.

Prakit said the foundation also aimed at decreasing the number of male smokers to less than 25 per cent in 10 years by laws and social measures.

Today marks No Smoking Day 2012. Bangkok Poll conducted the survey to reflect Thais' opinions about smoking and government policies that could be improved.

The survey revealed that 85 per cent of smokers thought at times about giving up their habit, and 54 per cent said they wanted to do it for themselves, while 32 per cent wanted to give up smoking for the sake of their loved ones.

However, 30.3 per cent of people who insisted on smoking said they were not determined enough to stop, and 17 per cent believed they could not stop because of stress.

Most - 85 per cent - said they cared for people surrounding them, so they tried to avoid smoking when they were in company. Only 9 per cent did not care and said if people did not like when they were smoking, they should avoid that smoking area.

The poll also questioned non-smokers. About 53 per cent said they had asked their family members who are smokers to stop smoking for the family's sake.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-05-31

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These campaigns included printing smoking-related disease pictures on cigarette packs, having celebrities communicate anti-smoking messages to the public and even increasing cigarette taxes that push up the prices,

So, they're trying all the same strategies which have failed miserably in the west...

• Like 1

"The number of smokers reached 13 million, resulting in 50,000 deaths each year."

I am sure the number 50,000 did not include victims of second hand smoke, not to mention how much it costs the health system to treat respiratory, cardiac and other ailments caused by primary and second hand smoke.

I doubt there is any strategy that would work to get people to stop smoking. Education and fear tactics don't seem to be working. I continue to see people smoking in restaurants while sitting near their young children. They are either oblivious to the fact that their smoke harms others, or just don't care. Making smoking illegal would not stop people from smoking and would create a black market, but at least it would drive smoking underground and protect non smokers from the effects of second hand smoke.

• Like 2

So, they're trying all the same strategies which have failed miserably in the west...

I think increasing taxes made many people stop smoking, or at least start borrowing more cigarettes. Anyway I believe every country needs the taxes coming from smokers and drinkers, so increasing them a lot it's probably not good for the economy.

Raising cigarette taxes savagely would work, but to the detriment of re-election chances.

If you have never seen it, I recommend the "Yes, Prime Minister' episode "The Smoke Screen" - when faced with losing the revenue from cigarette taxes which far exceeds the medical costs, Sir Humphrey comes out with "Think of it as smokers are dying for their country" or words to that effect.

Sounds poetic?

"The number of smokers reached 13 million, resulting in 50,000 deaths each year."

I am sure the number 50,000 did not include victims of second hand smoke, not to mention how much it costs the health system to treat respiratory, cardiac and other ailments caused by primary and second hand smoke.

I doubt there is any strategy that would work to get people to stop smoking. Education and fear tactics don't seem to be working. I continue to see people smoking in restaurants while sitting near their young children. They are either oblivious to the fact that their smoke harms others, or just don't care. Making smoking illegal would not stop people from smoking and would create a black market, but at least it would drive smoking underground and protect non smokers from the effects of second hand smoke.

If you are concerned about noxious, carcinogenic gasses, I suggest you stop worrying about somebody smoking at a table near you and start worrying about the pollution you are breathing in constantly in this extremely polluted country.

Bangkok is one of the worst polluted cities in the world; upcountry is worse, including Chiang Mai.

Get a grip on reality.

True, I wish they would ban internal combustion engines from Bangkok, only allow electric.

If you are concerned about noxious, carcinogenic gasses, I suggest you stop worrying about somebody smoking at a table near you and start worrying about the pollution you are breathing in constantly in this extremely polluted country.

Bangkok is one of the worst polluted cities in the world; upcountry is worse, including Chiang Mai.

Get a grip on reality.

Get a grip on reality.................alternatively, move to Samui.

I am not in any way a supporter of tobacco smoking, and I would certainly strongly discourage anyone from starting to smoke. It's a very powerful addictive habit, and the regular smoking of cigarettes reduces life-expectancy by around 12-15 years. However, I do wish the anti-smoking lobby would stop regurgitating misleading and incorrect propaganda:

• smoking does not actually kill anyone, and we all eventually die. Smoking does make it more likely that we will die of certain diseases rather than others, and it clearly results in dying sooner rather than later, but slogans like 'smoking kills xxx people every year' are simply nonsense.
  • smoking does not increase health costs. There are no health costs when you are dead. When the years of shortened life-span are taken into account, the life-time health costs of smokers are less than those of non-smokers. http://www.plosmedic...al.pmed.0050029

Anti-smoking propaganda also distracts attention away from other very serious health risks, especially the increased risks associated with traffic pollution, which is a major problem in Thai cities. The problem here is made much worse by the large number of 2-stroke motorbikes. These produce as much harmful pollution per km (some argue more) as the family car, because the engines are less efficient burners of fuel than 4-stroke engines, and they are not fitted with catalytic converters. While most smokers these days do attempt to avoid situations in which non-smokers breathe in their smoke, I wonder how many of us are willing to consider the health of pedestrians and those in houses or schools when we drive past them..

Ummm ............sale of new 2-stroke motorcycles was banned in Thailand about 10 years ago. Though there are still some on the road, the percentage declines steadily.

• Like 1

Personally i'd jail anyone caught smoking within 10m of a child.

the amount of disregard for child safety here is vulgar.

and don't lets start about 4 yr olds working!!!

VULGAR!

but same same, tiT, etc....

Human waste!

E2A - if the adults want to be as thick as fudge, let them.

i'd also happily quadruple the amount of poisons in each packet! And quadruple the price!

Edited by edgarfriendly
  • Like 1

Deliberatly breathing noxious smoke into your lungs seems to me to be a particularly stupid thing to get yourself addicted to.

And yes the second hand smoke we are all forced to breath against our wishes is a bloody pest.

Incidently I got an Email from the wife of an old mate, a previous heavy smoker, till his lungs gave out, telling me he died at 2.30 this morning after spending the last 4 years of his life teathered to an oxygen machine.

Biggest problem with smoking is that it desnt kill quick enough, 2 to 3 years would be ideal.

Edited by metisdead

Personally i'd jail anyone caught smoking within 10m of a child.

the amount of disregard for child safety here is vulgar.

and don't lets start about 4 yr olds working!!!

VULGAR!

but same same, tiT, etc....

Human waste!

cheesy.gif
  • Like 1

Get a grip on reality.

True, I wish they would ban internal combustion engines from Bangkok, only allow electric.

Perhaps they could electrify the smokers...

They should regulate and enforce against the spraying of clouds of airborne insecticide outdoors in residential areas (without posting warning signs) during busy times with people walking through the clouds of neurotoxic cancerous poison that is far more harmful than tobacco smoke. That stuff is not only lethal when inhaled it is dangerous cutaneously & to the eyes. Usually the first sign I get is the smell of strong poison & by then it is too late to avoid exposure. I could wear a mask all day long but then again so could non-smokers to avoid passive smoking & with spray you'd need an allover suit to avoid cutaneous exposure. Obviously there needs to be insect control but here it is unregulated and seems crazy when put alongside the no-smoking drive.

• Like 1

Get a grip on reality.

Perhaps they could electrify the smokers...

Wouldn't work. Too many Fi Dops.

Get a grip on reality.

It only took 10 posts for a smoker to use the "pollution" diversion card.

I wonder when the "smokers have rights" card gets played?

smokers have rights too!

• Like 1

Get a grip on reality.

It only took 10 posts for a smoker to use the "pollution" diversion card.

I wonder when the "smokers have rights" card gets played?

smokers have rights too!

Yeah, Marlboro Rights. :rolleyes:

• Like 1