Teak Wood Houses - Any Ideas ?

Rowdy100

Righto then guys - been enjoying the many useful posts on TVF for a few years and have only just got a little bit active in posting myself... So now while I'm at it... I have a question for all you learned souls out there....

Teak Wood Houses - What are your thoughts...??

I've been looking at these types of houses as a potential option for quite a while now...such as this...

http://www.thailannahome.com/prices.html

Obviously I'm aware of all the issues concerning buying land in Thailand etc - I've actually got a condo myself in Bangkok and an active company set-up and I'm happy with that - and all that's fine etc... but if I was interested in getting a house somewhere "upcountry" I figured that these might not be a bad option...? :-)

Your thoughts and/or experiences would again be appreciated...

Cheers

Rowdy

If you head into almost any rural village you'll find teak wood houses for sale, usually there's someone who's got one for sale in just about every village, trying to raise money for this that or the other. So, shop around and buy right and you can get enough wood to build yourself a nice home, at a fraction of the prices in your link, all you need is someone to transport the lumber for you, some land to build on and someone to build the place for you, unless you're a handy DIY sort that is. I think if you look closer at the houses in your link you'll find that the wood is not that great and in most cases, almost certainly not teak!

Thanks - and yep, that's correct... the houses in the link are a mix of teak and red wood.. red wood is still a high end "hard wood"... just provided link as an "example"....

I guess I'm just really curious as to what are the approximate costs of building a decent 3 BR/2BTH house... decent size...say 130 odd sq/m living area....in somewhere like Nakhon Rachisima... I know it's like asking "how long is a peice of string"... but just curious to get an idea of some ball park figures...

My brother is a builder in Aus and I've also been involved in a pretty hands-on way of building my own place in Australia and was just wondering about ppl's thoughts experiences of doing something similar in Thailand...

Many thanks for all replies.

Cheers

Rowdy

You can buy a decent sized teak house in the villages for anywhere from 200k to 500k based on size and urgency of the sale, if you do some looking you can find some that have excellent wood. The biggest problem is transporting the wood from A to B and this usually involves paying the BIB or hiring someone to transport it for you and typically this will be someone connected to the highway police or similar. I looked into teak wood houses a couple of years ago and figuered I could buy enough wood to build a decent sized three bedder if I were to buy two houses, figure about 800k just for the wood.

Is your brother going to build the house for you? If he is then he will need a work permit. Then local builders will not like an outsider coming in and may cause problems. Insurance for a wooden house is about 3 times what a conrete house is.

Well, I would say it looks nice but you can build much cheaper from concrete, and do not have to worry about fire.

Wonderful comment from a true modernist that appreciates conformity and sterility.

OK - that's a big help - about 800 k for wood is actually pretty good....

That would be for teak, typically hand sawn wide boards, but expect a fair amount of wastage also, stuff that's rotten or unseable, hence the need to buy two houses. Also, much better if a Thai does the buying for you, as a farang you can expect to get hit with some very high prices, best way to find out about what's for sale is word of mouth in any village, need to take your time in looking/buying to get the good stuff.

if you want to disassemble a wood house or three, you've just got a big pile of nice material. But to re-use the components for a different design, you really need to plan our your new layout to work with the existing lumber/timber lengths for the structure - not so much for the siding - else you'll likely end up with joists just a bit too short for the designed spans, or even too long by just a bit and you waste the material building rooms that are too small... you get the pic maybe.

So you'll need to buy the houses, then measure & document the structural bays' dimensions, then plan a new house with the lumber you'll end up with. Ask yourself honestly whether you have all these skills & free time, and what your time is worth.

You'll want to take it apart yourself with one or two guys if you dont want some Yahoo cutting it to pieces in the manner that suits him for ease/speed/thoughtlessness/or personal use... else it'll be all for naught except picture frames.

if you want to disassemble a wood house or three, you've just got a big pile of nice material. But to re-use the components for a different design, you really need to plan our your new layout to work with the existing lumber/timber lengths for the structure - not so much for the siding - else you'll likely end up with joists just a bit too short for the designed spans, or even too long by just a bit and you waste the material building rooms that are too small... you get the pic maybe.

So you'll need to buy the houses, then measure & document the structural bays' dimensions, then plan a new house with the lumber you'll end up with. Ask yourself honestly whether you have all these skills & free time, and what your time is worth.

You'll want to take it apart yourself with one or two guys if you dont want some Yahoo cutting it to pieces in the manner that suits him for ease/speed/thoughtlessness/or personal use... else it'll be all for naught except picture frames.

The OP canot take it apart himself, that's against the law since it's work that is reserved for Thai nationals.

OK - have the skills.... and understand where you all are coming from on terms of getting good wood and right sizes etc... no worries...was just curious to find out a bit of info and what people may or may not have seen around...

many thanks for all posts... much appreciated.

cheers

come to Phrae the capital of teakwood. have a plan of the house you wish. they will build the house up here as a knock down and then ship it anywere to Thailand and put it up there. for more infos ajanpeter skype

Nice pics VF, building a teak village house has an almost romantic appeal to it, I think, trouble is that nearly all of them use absetos sheets or corrugated tin sheets for the roofs, presumably that's because the uprights wont take the weight of clay tiles, plus it's far cheaper, shame though.

The OP canot take it apart himself, that's against the law since it's work that is reserved for Thai nationals.

Not that I doubt you, but please reference a Thai govt website or law for substantiation since it's such a open & shut statement of Thai Law. True as it likely is, in a rural setting, there'd be scant real impediment to an owner of a house managing a few locals or taking it apart himself in a few days.

Nice pics VF, building a teak village house has an almost romantic appeal to it, I think, trouble is that nearly all of them use absetos sheets or corrugated tin sheets for the roofs, presumably that's because the uprights wont take the weight of clay tiles, plus it's far cheaper, shame though.

as an architect & construction manager, I appreciate the simple clarity & effectiveness of tin roofs. The sound of rain on them over one's head is a love it or hate it thing, though, so it pays to know which camp one belongs in before purchase & installation! However, I have seen a tin roof product in LoS that has a radiant barrier/thin insulation adhered to the underside surface, so presumably it would dampen the sound quite a bit in addition to providing some level of thermal insulation.

Edited by bbradsby

as an architect & construction manager, I appreciate the simple clarity & effectiveness of tim roofs. The sound of rain on them over one's head is a love it or hate it thing, though, so it pays to know which camp one belongs in before purchase & installation! However, I have seen a tin roof product in LoS that has a radiant barrier/thin insulation adhered to the underside surface, so presumably it would dampen the sound quite a bit in addition to providing some level of thermal insulation.

I still have my hearing so I am in the "hate it camp" when it comes to “tim roofs”.wink.pngbiggrin.png

as an architect & construction manager, I appreciate the simple clarity & effectiveness of tim roofs. The sound of rain on them over one's head is a love it or hate it thing, though, so it pays to know which camp one belongs in before purchase & installation! However, I have seen a tin roof product in LoS that has a radiant barrier/thin insulation adhered to the underside surface, so presumably it would dampen the sound quite a bit in addition to providing some level of thermal insulation.

I still have my hearing so I am in the "hate it camp" when it comes to “tim roofs”.wink.pngbiggrin.png

I think it's a great sound - rain on tin roof - but then, as a reference point, I like the sound of a Ducati with full-race exhaust at redline in 6th gear.

Not that I doubt you, but please reference a Thai govt website or law for substantiation since it's such a open & shut statement of Thai Law. True as it likely is, in a rural setting, there'd be scant real impediment to an owner of a house managing a few locals or taking it apart himself in a few days.

Dismantling houses is work and work requires a work permit, if the OP doesn't have a work permit that's illegal. If the OP wanted to apply for a work permit to dismatle the house, well, can you imagine! No, no links provided and linkage not necessary on this one I'm afraid, if pushed I'll dig one out but not inclined to on such an abvious point.

EDIT: oh bugger it, if I don't post it now soembody'll just make a big deal out of it and I'll end up posting it later anayway. so here it is:

http://www.bdo-thaitax.com/bdo/employment-foreigners

Edited by chiang mai

Dismantling houses is work and work requires a work permit, if the OP doesn't have a work permit that's illegal. If the OP wanted to apply for a work permit to dismatle the house, well, can you imagine! No, no links provided and linkage not necessary on this one I'm afraid, if pushed I'll dig one out but not inclined to on such an abvious point.

No worries, and I don't blame you for not wanting to look it up. I, for one, don't read Thai. But this comes up so much in the Forums that I'm wondering if it's become Urban Myth that a Farang owner of a house (not property) cannot be a Do-It-Yourselfer to undertake work on his own house - not for commerce.

So it'd be useful to get an actual legal reference when blanket statements are made as to Thai Law.Also, the village neighbors are Thai countryfolk, definitely DIY types who don't get in the way of neighbors' business, so I see little risk in hiring two locals at nominal hourly cost to accomplish the heavy lifting while the owner basically is very Hands-On in the process. If in the 1:1,000,000 chance an 'authority' shows up onsite... 'hey, I'm not doing anything but watching, here are my hired Thai workers!' Anyway, I'm not advocating that anybody do anything out of their comfort zone and villagers can be hired for nominal sums.

Edited by bbradsby

Ah, there's the link, thanks! The text covers "Employment" and "Occupation." It could be easily argued that doing labor on one's own house is not covered by the terms. But, again, each to their comfort zone, and I'm not advocating that anyone break the law.

as an architect & construction manager, I appreciate the simple clarity & effectiveness of tin roofs. The sound of rain on them over one's head is a love it or hate it thing, though, so it pays to know which camp one belongs in before purchase & installation! However, I have seen a tin roof product in LoS that has a radiant barrier/thin insulation adhered to the underside surface, so presumably it would dampen the sound quite a bit in addition to providing some level of thermal insulation.

We built a tin roof in bangkok.....Ratchada area....sprayed the under surface with that insulation foam...cut down near all the noise and absolutely no heat came through.......sold it for 18 million.....so not a cheapy either.

Surely if I'm "semi-retired" and doing a bit of "renovating" with some local family members etc. here and there on "my house" and "their property" that can hardly be breaking the law ???? "J" walking is iilegal too isn't it.... Anybody ever been booked for that (?) As is..dare I say it...the oldest profession in the world... not that any of that ever goes on in LOS....of course not..

P.S

Villageferang...is that your "concrete" house you posted a picture of ?? If so...kindly pm the plans please... looks a cracker!!!.. (-:

P.S

Villageferang...is that your "concrete" house you posted a picture of ?? If so...kindly pm the plans please... looks a cracker!!!.. (-:

I think I read somewhere that a modicum of foreplay is customary before handing over the plans to ones castle keep.wink.pngbiggrin.png

Ah, there's the link, thanks! The text covers "Employment" and "Occupation." It could be easily argued that doing labor on one's own house is not covered by the terms. But, again, each to their comfort zone, and I'm not advocating that anyone break the law.

If you upset a local and they complain to Immigration then you will have no chance to argue. You will be arrested and your visa will be cancelled.