Large 20 Baht Store In Bangkok?

dotx

I've seen a few 20 baht store here and there and was wondering if there's a large, central store somewhere in Bangkok.

I'm not looking for anything in particular. Just wondering if the stores are similar to the Dollar stores in the States and curious as to what I would find in a larger one. I often buy little things for donations/presents in the smaller ones, so maybe a larger store would offer some nice surprises.

You wouldn't be flat broke by any chance, would you? You must be a school teacher. Do you also have the grubby 3000-baht polyester suit and the 200 baht white shirt from Big C that hasn't been washed in over a year?

• Like 1

You wouldn't be flat broke by any chance, would you? You must be a school teacher. Do you also have the grubby 3000-baht polyester suit and the 200 baht white shirt from Big C that hasn't been washed in over a year?

Sorry, offtopic2.gif but.......same old teacher joke.....sleepy.gif

Are not aware that some of us are actually on quite nice ex-pat packages?

I used to do some regular shopping at dollar stores back home. Great for cheap stuff that's easy to make (complex items are riskier).

Good for:

Bandanas

Towels

Cutlery

Plates/bowls

Aluminum Foil

Plastic Wrap

Tape

Bad for:

Electronics

Tools

Headphones

Food Items

So just think of simple (by principle) items and you're golden. Why would you pay more than a dollar for plates/cups, aka conveniently shaped pieces of plastic and porcelain?

Daiso is quite a good 60 baht shop, There's a fairly big store in Siam Square. Can remember the soil but from the BTS side it's a few shops in on the left. Maybe Soi 3, but not sure.

Dont bother. 20 baht stores sell mostly Chinese crap to cheap charlie Thais'.

A 2 dollar shop back home is 60 baht ! big difference. 20 baht shops sell rubbish that cost a couple of baht to make.

You must be Dutch or Scottish.We have one store in Cha-am with most rubbish.

Who let the Kids out?

The Daiso stores here (100 yen store - approx 38 baht) Do have some good buys. I picked up a couple of silicon spatulas for 100 yen each. On the weekends, the big shop at the nearest mall to me is packed with shoppers.

How the price moves from about 38 baht in Tokyo to 60 baht (about 50% higher) in Thailand is a mystery.

The Daiso stores here (100 yen store - approx 38 baht) Do have some good buys. I picked up a couple of silicon spatulas for 100 yen each. On the weekends, the big shop at the nearest mall to me is packed with shoppers.

How the price moves from about 38 baht in Tokyo to 60 baht (about 50% higher) in Thailand is a mystery.

Yeah, unbelievable...considering Tokyo is in Japan and goods must be shipped to Thailand and taxes paid to the government.

If you live in Thailand, always shop at Daiso Tokyo, you save 60 baht - Y100! Around 20 Baht!

I've never seen any large stand alone 20 baht stores here, only those who use floorspace in Big C complexes and the like.

There is a good one inside Big C Lat Phrao at the moment, and also very cheap clothes/market stalls on the basement floor. For people on the moove it is very convenient to buy cheap stuff that will be shown the bin after a few weeks/months...so not sure why all the cheap charlie cracks?

The same posters doing the criticising will often sing the loudest when they are ripped of 10 or 20baht for noodles, or get to much ice in their drink or whatever rolleyes.gif

And as for the usual cracks at teachers..I suppose the better option would be to do nothing with ones time here?...except sitting around drinking beer and chasing skirt?

If i was to stay here on a long term i would appreciate being given the opportunity to contribute in that way. Can't see what is so shamefull about it??

There is a 60 baht store in the basement of Future Park, Rangsit. Never seen a 20 baht store. I would be afraid to see what they actually carried there. There also used to be a 99 baht store in the old Merry King's out in Bang Yai.

You have to be careful shopping at these places. Some things are very good value, some things turn out to be grossly over priced. But it is fun to look around and see what they have. I go to the place at Future Park a few times a month to check out the new inventory. Most of the time I wind up leaving several hundred baht poorer. Most of their inventory comes from Japan.

But my children love the stuff I pick up there. Where else can you find a large stuffed frog magnet?

Thanks to the people who provided useful responses. I'm not a teacher and I am not a guy (so no cheap polyester suits for me). In the past, I've used the 20 baht stores to buy things like coloring books, pencils and other items like that for a very poor family I know (Burmese immigrants). I'm not sure why I should feel bad about shopping there.