Police Stopped Me Yesterday...

doppa

Learn to read Thai.

If you can't read Thai road signs, you shouldn't be driving in Thailand.

It's not however, it is a condition that you can recognise road signs. There are many signs that are only in Thai and you only have to memorise them.

Crikey mate,i am impressed that you are able to memorise Thai signs,just a shame that you are unable to memorise English as well cos your English grammar is crap, the comma should be after "not" not after "however 24.gif

Anyway, I'll get onto that one straight away, " darling where's our Thai highway code "

I don't have to memorise them, that was for your edification, as I read Thai and don't have a problem,rolleyes.gif

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Learn to read Thai.

It's not however, it is a condition that you can recognise road signs. There are many signs that are only in Thai and you only have to memorise them.

Crikey mate,i am impressed that you are able to memorise Thai signs,just a shame that you are unable to memorise English as well cos your English grammar is crap, the comma should be after "not" not after "however 24.gif

Anyway, I'll get onto that one straight away, " darling where's our Thai highway code "

I don't have to memorise them, that was for your edification, as I read Thai and don't have a problem,rolleyes.gif

In 20hrs for 15k by any chance....where did I see thatermm.gif

The above link is very good and worth reading.

However it has a lot of tripe and flamebait:

Thai people rarely have a formulated plan. It is common for any outline plan to change dynamically. This can be witnessed in driving when a manoeuver is amended part way through, e.g. although a right turn indicator is flashing, the driver decides that a left turn may be more appropriate. Planning ahead also appears to be missing from the Thai language therefore manoeuvers are likely to be undertaken at the last minute.

Little bit sad, because there is some reasonable stuff too.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This appears to be a common "wait for green b4 turning" sign around town, most are attached to a post at the stop line itself. One at Rincome intersection even has a larger A-frame version below it.

StopOnRed.JPG

This appears to be a common "wait for green b4 turning" sign around town, most are attached to a post at the stop line itself. One at Rincome intersection even has a larger A-frame version below it.

StopOnRed.JPG

There is no mention of "green" in any of these signs, simply "cars turning left wait for light signal"

They also vary in size quite a lot and are issued by various authorities, so no conformity.

Edited by Maejo Man

Bottom line.....if you can't read Thai and see a little white sign with black Thai writing under the lights......just wait until the light goes green before turning left and let the honker behind, suck lemons.

lights.gif

Source, not formal:

Great link! Very recognizable, especially those common manouvers, and a *must* read for every foreigner that wants to drive in Thailand, methinks. smile.png

Edited by Nienke

Thailand conforms to International Road Signage according to the Vienna Treaty so that non-Thai speaking persons may drive here.

There is NO requirement to speak or read Thai.

Having acquired a Thai licence I can say that there was never any clear direction given in regards to the matter raised herein by OP. I applaud the OP for raising the topic and providing insight on a topic for which many are now the wiser.

Thailand conforms to International Road Signage according to the Vienna Treaty so that non-Thai speaking persons may drive here.

Having acquired a Thai licence I can say that there was never any clear direction given in regards to the matter raised herein by OP. I applaud the OP for raising the topic and providing insight on a topic for which many are now the wiser.

The Thai stop sign in in Thai and does not conform, all the others are self explanatery. There is always one exception I suppose.

The Thai stop sign in in Thai and does not conform, all the others are self explanatery. There is always one exception I suppose.

In most non-English speaking countries they use their own language, which only makes sense I suppose. And for foreign drivers, the color and shape should not make it too difficult to figure out.

Spanish-Stop-Road-Traffic-Signs.png

Stad_Irish_stop_sign.jpg

pare.jpg

58013224.IranMar06489.jpg

Stop%20Sign%204x6%2072%20dpi.jpg

120px-STOP_sign_mongolian.svg.png

french-arret-stop-sign.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It`s a sort of cultural thing.

Usually the police and the law turns a blind eye to those turning left at a red traffic signal providing they consider the action as safe. The same applies in many American states.

But technically it is breaking the law and is up to the discretion of the police whether or not they pull someone over for it. Also if this causes an accident the vehicle that ran the red light will be brought to book for it.

So it`s a case of, some you win, some you lose and is completely up to your own judgement.

Usually the police and the law turns a blind eye to those turning left at a red traffic signal providing they consider the action as safe. The same applies in many American states.

But technically it is breaking the law and is up to the discretion of the police whether or not they pull someone over for it. Also if this causes an accident the vehicle that ran the red light will be brought to book for it.

So it`s a case of, some you win, some you lose and is completely up to your own judgement.

Didn't think you could turn left at a red light in America??

Didn't think you could turn left at a red light in America??

You havn`t lived. Those who dares, wins.

What are us un-educated people who can't read thai suppose to do ?

Learn to read Thai.

thais can read thai but a big percentage shouldnt be driving

• Like 1

A small note.

In the US, each state (50 states) has a completely different traffic law.

In California, where I am from, it is entirely legal after stopping at an intersection, to turn right on a red light (my emphasis added), unless there is a sign forbidding same. The default traffic code in CA always allows a turn on red, when safe and the road is clear.

Likewise CA permits lane splitting by motorcycles, everywhere except through an intersection. Other states will not permit same.

I noticed today the small sign in Thai, detailed above, westbound on Huay Kaew at the Nimmenhaemin intersection forbidding a turn.

I must have ignored this sign 1000 times in past years.

Good to know per the OP's post that this is illegal.

In the US, each state (50 states) has a completely different traffic law.

In California, where I am from, it is entirely legal after stopping at an intersection, to turn right on a red light (my emphasis added), unless there is a sign forbidding same. The default traffic code in CA always allows a turn on red, when safe and the road is clear.

Actually some states allow turning left (my emphasis added) at a red with the following conditions. biggrin.png

All states permit drivers to turn right on a red signal after a complete stop if the intersection is not designated otherwise by posted signs. New York City now is the only major jurisdiction that prohibits the turn. According to the Federal Highway Administration, fewer accidents occur when drivers turn right on a red light than when they turn right on a green light. The statute also saves each driver an average of 14 seconds at a turn, cuts gasoline consumption and exhaust emissions, and allows intersections to handle more traffic.

Forty-one states permit left turns on a red signal, but only after a complete stop and only from a one-way street into another one-way street. Those states that prohibit the turn are: Connecticut, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Wisconsin. The District of Columbia and New York City also prohibit the turn.

Sorry for being off topic, just an interesting tidbit.

wink.png

On topic - I first drove in Thailand in 1968-1969 but with a military truck so I could pretty much turn anyway I wanted.

laugh.png

On topic - I first drove in Thailand in 1968-1969 but with a military vehicle so I could pretty much turn anyway I wanted.

laugh.png

No songtell's back then......bet you scared the som tam out of those state of the art samlor drivers.