Trip To Sri Lanka / Visa Inquiry

Has anybody been to Sri Lanka recently?

What's the visa situation for EU passport holders?

Can I get one on arrival or do I need to take care of that before I fly?

I only want a tourist visa for a few days.

Thanks in advance!

From the information on the Sri Lankan High Commission in London site, British passport holders do need a visa.

Requirements

4 Relevant visa fees - British passport – Sterling pound 38 (Single Entry)

But it does say under General Information

A facility is provided for those who arrive without obtaining visa through ETA after 31st December 2011, to obtain an on arrival visa by paying the relevant ETA processing fee.
  • Like 1

UK, Canada, NZ or OZ don't need a visa as commomwealth citizens. Possibly Eu, Malaysia and Singapore as well.

Not correct, With affect from 1st January 2012 all Holiday travelers to Sri Lanka must have Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) - in effect a visa - for entering to Sri Lanka. Please visit www.eta.gov.lk for more information.

Thanks for the tips and info! I much apprecite it!

I ended up, for various reasons, doing a complete U turn and flew to Cambodia instead. I know the procedure here and didn't have time/couldn't afford to mess about in unfamiliar waters.

Best regards from Phnom Phen.

Will try to get to Colombo next time.

Whilst not applicable to OP any more if there is anyone else that comes across this thread looking for information, as 7by7 & Simple1 have said it is very clear on the Sri Lanka website that a visa is required however can be obtained either in advance or on arrival.

I am going Colombo with my wife (me UK passport, her Thai passport) so applied for the visa online. Payment was made via credit card (20USD each) and the visa approval email was received 10 minutes later. All from the comfort of our living room.

We haven't actually gone yet so not sure how much easier this was compared to getting the visa on arrival but it is one less thing to worry about when we get there now.

• 3 months later...

I went to Sri Lanka maybe two weeks after they started making visitors pay the online fee. When I arrived at the airport (actually not in Colombo), I noticed a lot of people hadn't paid online, and were redirected to a counter to pay and get a receipt to present to immigration. I had a very nice trip in Sri Lanka, and I hope you have some time to visit the beautiful cities in the mountains or on the Southern coast.

• Like 1