Hotel Advice

The wife and I are planning to come down to Samui second week in July . Looking for a nice hotel on the beach thats also close to some good places to eat and things to see.

Not looking for the Ritz Carlton just something nice and clean and safe ... Can someone give me some sugestions ?

If your budget is not to small you can look at the Amari Palm Reef...... good location (if you want to be near the busy tourist area, chaweng beach) nice and clean resort and a really great breakfast ...

I think the weekender (central lamai beach) has a stay 3 pay for 2 offer atm, reduced room prices also due to the front having renovation work done. Not 100% sure they are still doing it but it was 2100 per night.

You don't say what part of Samui you are looking at - huge differences in both price and what you get for it once you move out of Chaweng.

Samui Mermaid is is Bang Rak, on the beach, and has AirCon rooms for 600-700B (used to be - need to check) - prices start at 499B.

IBIS is on the edge of Bo Phut and Mae Nam, on the beach, and does specials that are not much more than 1,000B a night for TV and aircon, depending on the season. This is probably the most cost-effective out of town resort I've come across.

Mae Nam has wooden huts for 500B a night or AirCon bungalows right on the sand for 1,500B.

Tell us more about what and where . . .

R

Montien House is a nice hotel. Deluxe rooms about that price, great location.

Montien and Chaweng Garden Resort are close to each other and about the same price. ie 1200-1500 baht for a room in a block and around 2,500+ for something self-contained where you can see the sea. Unless they have both re-modernised in the last few years, the original wooden structures a few years back were small, dingy and smelly (wood gets damp and smells in the tropics) - better to get an identical (mouldy) hut in Mae Nam for less than half the price and share the cost of transport into Chaweng with neighbours on those nights out, maybe?

R

You don't say what part of Samui you are looking at - huge differences in both price and what you get for it once you move out of Chaweng.

Samui Mermaid is is Bang Rak, on the beach, and has AirCon rooms for 600-700B (used to be - need to check) - prices start at 499B.

IBIS is on the edge of Bo Phut and Mae Nam, on the beach, and does specials that are not much more than 1,000B a night for TV and aircon, depending on the season. This is probably the most cost-effective out of town resort I've come across.

Mae Nam has wooden huts for 500B a night or AirCon bungalows right on the sand for 1,500B.

R

With Samui Mermaid the cheaper rooms are on other side of the "tracks" --- road...wink.png price guess is about right, from what I remember (SM is OK I've known people who have stayed there... food good too) beach area ... but Maenam is better!

In Maenam, there are lots of places along the beach pretty decent.... and not wood huts! Starting around 800 baht a night, more or less... AC TV etc...

As Rob says tell us more of what you want!

Maenam is quieter than other places like Chawang, but that suits some people... and it's not empty, even now! All age groups too....

R

With Samui Mermaid the cheaper rooms are on other side of the "tracks" --- road...wink.png price guess is about right, from what I remember (SM is OK I've known people who have stayed there... food good too) beach area ... but Maenam is better!

In Maenam, there are lots of places along the beach pretty decent.... and not wood huts! Starting around 800 baht a night, more or less... AC TV etc...

As Rob says tell us more of what you want!

Maenam is quieter than other places like Chawang, but that suits some people... and it's not empty, even now! All age groups too....

We are wanting to stay on the beach somewhere close where we can walk to some good places to eat . I hate to be stuck somewhere and have to eat hotel food constantly . We plan to take some boat trips during the day but at night we enjoy going out for dinner and mainly eat Thai food and sea food . Dont want to spend more than 3000 baht a night if we can help it. Not drinkers so we could careless where the cloest bar is ......

On our last trip we went to River Kwai booked through Agoda what appeared to be a nice hotel on the river . Got there and it was a dive just short of being a short time hotel .. Could not get a refund so we were stuck for 4 days there . Im just trying to keep that from happening this time !!!

For boat tours and a nice quite location you should consider Bangrak Beach. As mentioned above, mermaid is great value for money, with a nice selection of restaurants along the road. Also, try P10 Samui, they just opened and offer duplex rooms with pool access for 2200 Baths with breakfast and discounts on several restaurants and boat tours.