There Can Be No Comparison: Thai Opinion

webfact

VENUS' VISION

There can be no comparison

Veena Thoopkrajae

30183334-01_big.jpg

It would not be fair to compare Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra with Myanmar's pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi.

BANGKOK: -- Watching the two women in Bangkok at the World Economic Forum was like watching two football players - one from a top English Premier League team and another from a local school team. Football is all about passion, work rate and practice to achieve excellence. The same qualities apply in politics. Both games are about winning hearts and uniting a team and fans to gain victory.

Watching Suu Kyi's overwhelming welcome in Mahachai - where thousands of migrant workers greeted her with placards reading "Free Myanmar", "When Will We Go Home?" and "Long Live Democracy in Myanmar" - was a clear sign that she means much more to the people of her country than our premier does to us.

Watching her, I recalled what I once heard from a veteran journalist in Myanmar. He'd once questioned The Lady over her marriage to a foreigner - something that her opponents try to use to her disadvantage. Then the chance came for him to interview her, and he asked her about her choice of husband. Her reply completely removed any possible doubt about her. Suu Kyi told him that she didn't have a wide choice. She grew up and spent most of her life abroad, and she didn't know any Burmese man she could fall in love with and marry. But she did have a choice when it came to her country, and she chose to be a politician because of her love for her country.

Her explanation of why she became a politician has been amplified over the years, and has been vindicated by her actions and commitment rather than the false promises we often hear from others during election campaigns. As powerless as she was during years of house arrest, Aung San Suu Kyi has emerged as a powerful woman in her own right. The thousands of migrant workers from Myanmar in Thailand can testify to that, as their euphoria in Mahachai so amply demonstrated. She is able to light up hope for her people even outside her homeland, and even without an election victory.

"I'll try to develop our country so that you can go back home and apply your skills and knowledge and make our nation prosper," she told the migrant workers who flocked to hear her speech in Mahachai. They know that she may not be able to solve all problems that they endure in Thailand, but they believe she will do her best.

Aung San Suu Kyi has chosen her path in politics and has a strong determination to put Myanmar on the democratic map of the world. She has never given up the pursuit of her goal, and is determined to see democracy and human rights flourish in her country. And that is the hope she gives to her people.

Obviously, she is in a different league compared to Thailand's first female premier. After all, Yingluck Shinawatra didn't have a choice when she was chosen as a candidate for the top post. She is not passionate about politics and has little experience in politics. It is more likely that if we put Thaksin, the premier's brother, on the same pitch as Suu Kyi, he would continue to try to draw a comparison between himself and the pro-democracy icon. Despite being a fugitive, he insists that his political plight is not that different from that of Suu Kyi. Besides, he claims that he has made sacrifices for true democracy as well.

Yet these claims cannot stand up to scrutiny, especially after the scenes we saw during Suu Ky's historic visit. The social media have singled out the one most obvious difference between Thaksin and Suu Kyi: "One man is asking the people to fight for him so he can return home, while another woman is vowing to fight so her people can return home."

Suu Kyi's first foreign trip to Bangkok has unquestionably sparked new hope for Burmese people in Thailand as well as in Myanmar, while the public in Thailand look at their homeland, with chaos in Parliament and in politics, and feel depressed and shattered. With its genuine democracy leader, Myanmar will be a land of hope while Thailand has got to live with what it lacks.

It's a gloomy political outlook for Thailand. Nevertheless, if one tries to look on the bright side, Thailand still has strength in democracy and the rule of law. Our strong democracy has made it possible for the sister of a fugitive to become prime minister. And because of our secure rule of law, the premiere's brother cannot return to his homeland.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-02

• Like 1

Suu Kyi is prepared to put her country first even if that means the loss of her life, Yingluck isn't even prepared to get her Burberry boots wet-- it is like trying to compare an ant and an elephant.

• Like 2

This comparison is preposterous. You could compare any of Thailand's past "leaders" to Aung San Suu Kyi and they would come up short. It would be like comparing Nelson Mandela to any other African leader. Thailand has always lacked a purposeful, passionate, inspirational leader that its people could admire and aspire to be. Ironically, Thaksin is about the closest that one could find to standing in the definition and shoes of a leader.

You can't think of one other man in Thailand that is more inspirational as a leader? Take off your red glasses and look a little higher.

Absolutely right. And remember IV and V too. Totally exceptional.

Edited by dru2
  • Like 2

Thailand does lack inspirational leaders and it has lacked them for some time now. There were those who made efforts in the past, but they ALL have come up quite short. Your proof of their coming up short is all around us here in Thailand. Generally speaking, these past leaders have one thing in common: they all amassed GREAT wealth while 'leading' Thailand and while the overwhelming majority of the country has gotten not significantly richer than they were 100 years ago. Curious, isn't it?

Edited by xthAi76s

This comparison is preposterous. You could compare any of Thailand's past "leaders" to Aung San Suu Kyi and they would come up short. It would be like comparing Nelson Mandela to any other African leader. Thailand has always lacked a purposeful, passionate, inspirational leader that its people could admire and aspire to be. Ironically, Thaksin is about the closest that one could find to standing in the definition and shoes of a leader.

You can't think of one other man in Thailand that is more inspirational as a leader? Take off your red glasses and look a little higher.

Absolutely right. And remember IV and V too. Totally exceptional.

Elected officials in government!!

Absolutely right. And remember IV and V too. Totally exceptional. .

Quick, shift the goalposts! All I can say that is that if many Thais aspire to be like Thaksin, then this country is in for a lot of trouble. The saving grace is that IMHO most people cannot achieve the mindset of a sociopath despite their venal aspirations.

I can't help feeling after todays media reports that Aung San Suu Kyi will probably not get an invite back here for a while, and certainly not during the rest of the tenure of the current PM. So so sweet, I bet Yingluck was throwing her teddies out the cot last night.

After all, Yingluck Shinawatra didn't have a choice when she was chosen as a candidate for the top post.

<deleted> ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

After the governing People's Power party was dissolved and its executive board was banned from political activity by the Constitutional Court on 2 December 2008, former People's Power Party MPs formed the Pheu Thai Party.

Yingluck was asked to become the leader of the party but she declined, stating that she did not want to be Prime Minister and wanted to focus on business.

http://en.wikipedia....luck_Shinawatra

She had said no on several additional occasions. It was only after a mass family get-together in Dubai in the face of the distressing thought of having run Thaksin's incompetent brother, Payup, as the Pheu Thai PM... that she finally relented and reluctantly accepted the role of....

On 16 May 2011, the Pheu Thai party voted to name Yingluck as the party's top candidate under the party-list system (and presumably be the party's nominee for Prime Minister) for parliamentary election scheduled for 3 July. However, she was not made party leader and she did not join the executive board of the party.

The ultimate decision was made by Thaksin. "Some said she is my nominee. That's not true. But it can be said that Yingluck is my clone... Another important thing is that Ms Yingluck is my sister and she can make decisions for me. She can say 'yes' or 'no' on my behalf," Thaksin noted in an interview.

http://en.wikipedia....luck_Shinawatra

Edited by Buchholz

Was Aung San Suu Kyi sending any message, subtle or otherwise, by meeting with Abhisit before Yingluck

Link to Photo:

http://newshopper.su...oto_2237102.htm

Myanmar's opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, left, shakes hands with Thai opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva during their meeting in Bangkok, Thailand Wednesday, May 30, 2012. Suu Kyi, on her first foreign trip in nearly a quarter-century, offered encouragement Wednesday to impoverished migrants whose flight from their homeland is emblematic of the devastation wrought there by decades of misrule.

Associated Press Photo

Quick, shift the goalposts!

Come on Mick. It was quite clear he was talking about elected officials as you no doubt were well aware.

]BANGKOK: -- Watching the two women in Bangkok at the World Economic Forum was like watching two football players - one from a top English Premier League team and another from a local school team. Football is all about passion, work rate and practice to achieve excellence.[/b]

Quite possibly the worst comparison they could possibly come up with when you consider a number of Premier League Players set a good example appearing on the front pages of the tabloids for gang rape and assault whilst a lad of about 10 whose dream is to be a top flight player most probably encompasses the attributes of passion, work rate and excellence to a T.

The one might wonder, who dares to compare people like these? Wonder, why the columnist get the feeling to write something like this.

We can't compare "The Lady" to any other politicians in the modern world, it would be a sheer folly. She is definitely in another league.

Come on Mick. It was quite clear he was talking about elected officials as you no doubt were well aware.

I try not to make assumptions about what other posters think, preferring to read critically what they have written. Please give me the same courtesy.

I try not to make assumptions about what other posters think, preferring to read critically what they have written. Please give me the same courtesy.

I'll stand by what I posted. His use of leaders as "leaders" would have give anybody but the stupidest person his meaning and reading your posts you're far from stupid. Please don't go down the road of so many on here where, if I posted, " I drive a Ford Fiesta ", would twist and turn the blatantly obvious into " I eat virgins and snort coke" smile.png

Edited by mca

I'll stand by what I posted. His use of leaders as "leaders" would have give anybody but the stupidest person his meaning and reading your posts you're far from stupid. Please don't go down the road of so many on here where, if I posted, " I drive a Ford Fiesta ", would twist and turn the blatantly obvious into " I eat virgins and snort coke" smile.png

Did somebody say virgins? LOL

The use of quote marks only indicates to me that he considers then not worthy of the title, reinforced by "Thailand has always lacked a purposeful, passionate, inspirational leader that its people could admire and aspire to be."

Nowhere is there anything that would lead to consideration that he has restricted this comment to "elected officials". There is nothing obvious to me that this should NOT include royalty or military officers who have been known to be great leaders.

If you post "I drive a Ford Fiesta " the only conclusions I will draw is that you drive a Ford Fiesta, along with a strong possibility that you have very little taste in motor vehicles.