Bkk-Phuket By Bus

PCA

Good morning,

I intend to go to Phuket by bus this evening (first time). So far I checked on google departures are from Southern Bus Terminal in Bang Ramat. My question is whether it requires a ticket reservation or is it sufficient to just go there 1 hour or so ahead of scheduled departure?

Furtheron how is the trip organized, are there any stops or is there any meal and drinks provided if not?

PS: I know it's not an exciting topic but hey, I called 3 different tour operators and they were just so impolite and rude while insisting to take care of everything without answering my question.

Thanks in advance.

I have never done it but being a Saturday, I would assume it will be a full bus as it probably usually is anyway. I would actually get over there now and buy the ticket and at least you can know now if you are going or not.

I have never done it but being a Saturday, I would assume it will be a full bus as it probably usually is anyway. I would actually get over there now and buy the ticket and at least you can know now if you are going or not.

Hello Nisa,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I cannot go early but if there is no other choice I will probably have to get back to deal with a tour operator.

BRs

Hi, I have never done a trip to Phuket by bus (and I never will). Thai busses scare me. (Reading the number of crash stories in the news forum does that to you.) If it were me, I would fly. It's not too expensive, and you get there in an hour and a half. Bus will be a full day, if not more. If you don't want to shell out for a plane, my second suggestion would be to take the train. I have done that trip before. There's different classes you can take. You can just get a seat or have a car with a convertible bed, so you can sleep. It's is more money and takes about the same amount of time...but I think it is much more comfortable.

Hi, I have never done a trip to Phuket by bus (and I never will). Thai busses scare me. (Reading the number of crash stories in the news forum does that to you.) If it were me, I would fly. It's not too expensive, and you get there in an hour and a half. Bus will be a full day, if not more. If you don't want to shell out for a plane, my second suggestion would be to take the train. I have done that trip before. There's different classes you can take. You can just get a seat or have a car with a convertible bed, so you can sleep. It's is more money and takes about the same amount of time...but I think it is much more comfortable.

Thanks for your input. I did fly BKK-HKT 100s of times as my main base is Phuket since many years. I ask that information purely because I want to go by bus. I am also aware of the train-bus route via Surat Thani but as stated I am keen to make this trip as described.

BRs

I used to do this trip 2 times a month. I always use the 24 seater VIP 999 bus which is operated by the Transport Co.(government operated) and have never experienced any problems.

I my experience it's best to buy or reserve a tickets a couple days before. Do not buy from a travel agency, I made the mistake once and will never do it again. Thai Ticketmaster used to sell tickets as well but not sure if they still do.

They have three or four departures in the evening and arrive in Phuket in the morning. They do make one stop 3 hrs after leaving Bangkok for a quick meal and bathroom break, as well as second stop in Chumpon to change driver. Also has an onboard bathroom.

Edited by arkom

Hi PCA~ my wife tells me a quick call to 1113 (she claims they have some English speaking operators) will get your questions answered. For what it's worth, that's one nice/new bus terminal. Purchase tickets on the second level.

Bon voyage!

I've done the trip multiple times and have never purchased a ticket in advance. Just showed up at the station and bought one. Most Thais just do that too so you should be fine.

Yes the bus does make a stop in the middle of the night, you'll stop at a rest stop with a restaurant you can either go eat or just stay on the bus. They give you a bottle of water and maybe some kind of donut or roll on the bus itself.

Also the bus stops in Phuket Town, so once there you will have to get your own transportation if you are heading to one of the beaches. You can either get a tuk tuk for a few hundred baht, or go in a songtheow for about 20 baht. You can get a motorbike from the bus station to where the songtheows are for maybe 20 baht, then you just get on the bus headed to whatever beach you want and wait until it has enough people and the driver will depart.

Edited by DP25

BY the way, if you need to get to Southern Bus Terminal from town, bus 149 (8 baht) goes right past the Australian embassy (South Sothoen Rd) and gets to SaiThaiMai about one hour later. Plenty of buses to Phuket, but this is a holiday weekend! AA