European Championships

bangkokrick

What a yawn of a match. Spain are becoming a parody of themselves. Passing for passings sake - no flair.

i find it bizarre that people can think this. they're winning matches comfortably by not letting opponents have possession, space or time. it's brilliant. how is watching xavi, alonso and iniesta boring?

Glad you find something of interest in it Stevie. Its not for me but football is all a matter of opinion. I don't find possession play that interesting when its linked with the kind of caution that takes the ball accross the park several times and then back to the goalkeeper again.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronaldo hoping to be the hero and ended up not getting a kick. Div head, your best penalty takers should always go early.

Nani made a right tit of himself...the lad was ready to hit one before....and spot on with Ronaldo...rather than looking for glory he should have stepped in no4 after what happened.

Mystfying. It was always a possibility that one of the teams would not get to a 5th kick. Issue decided by millimetres. Alves hit the junction and Fabregas in off the post.

Spain are badly lacking a cutting edge. If the Germans come through I would fancy them to win it.

His decision not to take the first penalty will be a permanent stain on his career. Why didn't the coach insist he took it?

mad really. research has shown that the most important penalties in a shootout are 1 and 4, with 5 often not needed at all. i don't like coaches forcing players to do anything in shootouts but if it turns out that ronaldo insisted he only took the fifth then he wants a shoeing.

His decision not to take the first penalty will be a permanent stain on his career. Why didn't the coach insist he took it?

mad really. research has shown that the most important penalties in a shootout are 1 and 4, with 5 often not needed at all. i don't like coaches forcing players to do anything in shootouts but if it turns out that ronaldo insisted he only took the fifth then he wants a shoeing.

Agree with that about the coach but think in his capacity as one of the top five players in the world it really was down to him to grow some balls and take the responsibility.

I've always felt that a major reason why Messi is such a better player than Ronaldo is that he's a genuine team player where Ronaldo plays for his own glory......... doesn't that just make a perfect fit with Mourinho at Real Madrid.

Even though I agree Ronaldo should have took an early penalty ( especially with Portugal kicking first) his record aint that good in penalty shoot outs!! He missed in the CL final for Utd V Chelsea, and he missed in the CL semi final V Bayern Munich.

Maybe he didnt have the bottle!!

He has actually missed 3 out of his last 4 penalties!!

Edited by JacknDanny

I've always felt that a major reason why Messi is such a better player than Ronaldo is that he's a genuine team player where Ronaldo plays for his own glory......... doesn't that just make a perfect fit with Mourinho at Real Madrid.

i think that's absolutely the case. messi plays for the team and looks like he's having fun. ronaldo plays purely for himself and doesn't even look like he's enjoying it despite having the best job in the world.

You can be a fantastic player but a useless penalty taker, we all must agree it is a lottery and there must be a better way to decide a match than this.

His name was on the list to take one so he has not bottled it, just ones before him missed, as j & d mentioned he has missed for United before, but also he scored the winner v England which was the decisive kick, also Drogba did for Chelsea v Bayern no one calling him a bottler.

Ronaldo has a history of missing when taking early penalty's so why not having him further down the list?

Just another excuse to have a pop at Ronaldo.

I still think he is utter c**t but a fantastic player and talent, up until 2008 he was very likable then his ego took over, but would have him back at United any day, then he would be our c**t again.

he's a fantastic player, incredibly effective.

he is also a total self-adoring shithouse who plays for himself and not the team while preening and gurning towards the tv cameras.

these are both self-evident, not 'excuses to have a pop' at him.

he's a fantastic player, incredibly effective.

he is also a total self-adoring shithouse who plays for himself and not the team while preening and gurning towards the tv cameras.

these are both self-evident, not 'excuses to have a pop' at him.

Yes but all the discussion is about him, a game happened which i did not watch so i come on here to read about the game and peoples opinions, but it is all about one player who did not take a penalty, i agree he is a self adoring prick though.

a game happened which i did not watch so i come on here to read about the game and peoples opinions, .

In that case. Overall Spain played better and deserved the win.

Thanks i have only seen highlights on ESPN news.

My feeling watching the quarter finals and last night's semi final has been one of total contempt for the stupid Southern European acting class everyone seems to have taken, which is to look like you've been shot when someone comes close to you or makes contact.

Last night was hilarious with small fouls resulting in high dramatics, then the fouler going down on top of the fouled, also clutching something painful as well.

Utterly pathetic and I hope the Germans can stay upright long enough to show the Italians and then the Spaniards how to do it without the need for histrionics.

I'm used to seeing Suarez doing it every week for Liverpool, and before him, Ronado was a master - even last night he was going down like a ton of bricks while managing to look imploringly at the ref, but it's disgraceful and a few red cards for diving might wake people up a bit.

bloody hell its 7.15 in los and not one comment on italy vs germany aint there any iti's living here,there's gonner be a lot of german beer left in the ukrain did you see their faces after the second goal was scored.two good goals but dont he have a chip on his shoulder havnt seen a lot of him[balotelli] only what i have read,i thought that when they played france his team mates seemed to shun him,reminds me of big duncan ferguson hard as nails with attitude.

My feeling watching the quarter finals and last night's semi final has been one of total contempt for the stupid Southern European acting class everyone seems to have taken, which is to look like you've been shot when someone comes close to you or makes contact.

Last night was hilarious with small fouls resulting in high dramatics, then the fouler going down on top of the fouled, also clutching something painful as well.

Utterly pathetic and I hope the Germans can stay upright long enough to show the Italians and then the Spaniards how to do it without the need for histrionics.

I'm used to seeing Suarez doing it every week for Liverpool, and before him, Ronado was a master - even last night he was going down like a ton of bricks while managing to look imploringly at the ref, but it's disgraceful and a few red cards for diving might wake people up a bit.

Sorry if Italy, a 'stupid Southern Europe' team, has disappointed you with all that theater acting yesterday night... post-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694083.gif

guitar.gif 5555555555555555555555555555

• Like 1

Sorry if Italy, a 'stupid Southern Europe' team, has disappointed you with all that theater acting yesterday night... post-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694083.gif

Forza ITALIA !

guitar.gif o sole mio......

Sorry if Italy,a 'stupid Southern Europe' team, has disappointed you with all that theater acting yesterday night... post-4641-1156694572.gifpost-4641-1156694083.gif

Yeah - see what they can do when they stay on their feet and don't try to cheat the ref all the time?

Didn't disappoint me at all - this is how football should be played, and the Germans were rubbish. Even England would have stood a chance against that side I reckon.

Edited by sharecropper

You can be a fantastic player but a useless penalty taker, we all must agree it is a lottery and there must be a better way to decide a match than this.

His name was on the list to take one so he has not bottled it, just ones before him missed, as j & d mentioned he has missed for United before, but also he scored the winner v England which was the decisive kick, also Drogba did for Chelsea v Bayern no one calling him a bottler.

Ronaldo has a history of missing when taking early penalty's so why not having him further down the list?

I still think he is utter c**t but a fantastic player and talent, up until 2008 he was very likable then his ego took over, but would have him back at United any day, then he would be our c**t again.

Indeed Nev there must be a better way. I don't regard it as football and often can't be bothered to watch them. I would like to see drawn games settled on the basis of the number of corners won. You wouldnt get tame limps towards the inevitable draw that way.

• Like 1

Indeed Nev there must be a better way. I don't regard it as football and often can't be bothered to watch them. I would like to see drawn games settled on the basis of the number of corners won. You wouldnt get tame limps towards the inevitable draw that way.

I knew the sour grapes would be flowing....don't think you can hide out here Santi old son! clap2.gif

penalty shoot outs whoever thought this is the way to settle drawn games,what happened to the good old fashion replays or is television running the game.

My solution, after 90 mins, each team has to withdraw 2 players every 10 mins until a goal is scored ! would be exciting as well, could be like rugby 7s 1.gif

Edited by alfieconn

penalty shoot outs whoever thought this is the way to settle drawn games,what happened to the good old fashion replays or is television running the game.

My solution, after 90 mins, each team has to withdraw 2 players every 10 mins until a goal is scored ! would be exciting as well, could be like rugby 7s 1.gif

I like the sound of that. Unfortunately, too radical for Blatter. They don't like change.

That's a great idea, which would lead to some high drama! Imagine just the goalie and the number 9 of each team left on the pitch.....

That's a great idea, which would lead to some high drama! Imagine just the goalie and the number 9 of each team left on the pitch.....

Could be quite funny if one of them no 9s happens to be Mr Carroll 4.gif

Edited by alfieconn

Always thought the gradual withdrawal of players is a far better idea than a shoot out. Wouldn't you think that clown Blatter and his minions might have thought of that before now.

The latest "brainwave" by Platini is to stage Euro 2020 in 12/13 cities in several countries. It will be kicked around for 5/6 months before making a decision in December/January.

encourages injuries apparently. so never going to fly.