PM Yingluck Urges All Parties To Create Better Atmosphere To End Conflict

webfact

PM urges all parties to create better atmosphere to end conflict

BANGKOK, June 2 - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday urged all parties to use the parliamentary process for national reconciliation and consider the content of the proposed reconciliation bill before dismissing it.

The premier made these remarks in her weekly televised address following the chaos and disruption at the Thai parliament after a majority of MPs voted to move the national reconciliation bills to the top of the agenda.

Opposition Democrat party MPs opposed the bills, which they said would benefit fugitive ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra among others and help bring him home after several years of self-exile without serving his jail term.

Ms Yingluck said the proposal of the reconciliation bill was part of the government's policy to promote reconciliation and the government believes it is appropriate to push ahead any move which can help the country move forward.

There have been many recommendations for reconciliation, and the country will have no way out of its problems if the government does nothing, said the premier.

Ms Yingluck noted the content of the bills should first be considered, as the ongoing reconciliation process is just beginning with dialogue.

The prime minister however said she has not yet seen all the details of the four proposed reconciliation bills but said she believes that all the bills share the same aim to end conflicts and move forward.

Following concerns that the bills will benefit her brother, ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, Ms Yingluck said it was too soon to talk about the result as the process has just begun and the bills' contents still need to be discussed and adjusted through deliberation in parliament.

"I understand that it is difficult to ask everybody to forget the past but I am asking everyone to offer forgiveness in order to reduce conflict. If we do not begin with forgiveness, how can we move forward? The reconciliation process is not instantaneous; similar to the process of amending the constitution, it will take several months of deliberation in the parliament," said the premier.

Ms Yingluck also urged lawmakers to respect the parliamentary process and asked for cooperation from all parties to go through the parliamentary mechanism, where both MPs and senators serve as representatives of Thais throughout the country. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-02

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ms Yingluck said the proposal of the reconciliation bill was part of the government's policy to promote reconciliation and the government believes it is appropriate to push ahead any move which can help the country move forward.
blink.png
Ms Yingluck noted the content of the bills should first be considered, as the ongoing reconciliation process is just beginning with dialogue.
blink.png

I must be stupid, I don´t get it.sad.png

Edited by Skywalker69
  • Like 2

George Orwell wrote about total control, by big brother. The PT have gone one further big brothet talks, we do. If you you do not do what big brother tells you to do you will be moved to an inactive position. You will be replaced with a water mellon.

• Like 1

I bet she can tell you all the Burberry products and their prices.

I bet she don't know the prices of these cheapo things. I think in the 10-100.000 Baht range everything is just small amounts....

But I bet she can see what an original handbag is and what not.

Or the difference between a 1000 Baht manicure and a 10.000 Baht one.

Or the difference if Bangkok is getting flooded or not. She needs to check her feed only, if her adviser put Burberry boots on it than BKK is getting flooded.

Stupid woman doesn't realise that her family is the problem.

She shouldn't be anywhere near legislation affecting so many of her family including herself.

Rotten to the core

Sent from my dog.

• Like 1

Stupid woman doesn't realise that her family is the problem.

She shouldn't be anywhere near legislation affecting so many of her family including herself.

Rotten to the core

Sent from my dog.

I am sure she realizes it

She just doesn't seem to care what bad or good she is doing

She has one singular goal as PM

All the rest is seemingly irrelevant

• Like 2

grey-cosj-detail.jpg

The last attempt at a reconciliation was a bit drastic and has a bit of a ongoing failure over the centuries and indeed the fallout has been far from peaceful. Perhaps Thaksin could try this road, perhaps in his mind he would succeed where the first candidate failed .

• Like 2

Reconcile or face 'cycle of violence': Thai PM

BANGKOK, June 2, 2012 (AFP) - Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday warned the deeply divided kingdom faces a "cycle of violence" unless steps are taken towards reconciliation after years of civil unrest.

Proposals aimed at healing rifts that have seen Thailand rocked by bloody unrest since a 2006 coup have sparked fury among opposition MPs who fear they will open the door for Yingluck's brother -- ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra -- to return.

Protesters from the nation's "Yellow Shirt" faction blocked lawmakers from entering parliament Friday to debate a disputed reconciliation bill, as barely-concealed political tensions resurface in Thailand.

A rescheduled debate starting on Wednesday has also been "postponed indefinitely", Udondej Rattanasatien, of the ruling Puea Thai Party, told AFP Saturday.

Speaking on a weekly Thai television programme, Yingluck said a "reconciliation process" is the only the way out of years of sporadic unrest which has roughly cleaved the kingdom into "Yellow Shirt" and "Red Shirt" factions.

"The country has suffered a lot. If reconciliation can move the country forward, it is suitable," she said.

"If we don't start (a process), the country will be in a cycle of violence. The country will have no way out."

Yellow Shirt protesters camped out for three days outside parliament to prevent a debate on the reconciliation bill, and had warned they would try to enter the building if lawmakers opened discussions.

Protest organisers, the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the Yellow Shirts' official name, who are powerful players in Thailand's colour-coded politics, sent supporters home late Friday after three days of rallying.

Backed by the Bangkok-based elite, the PAD are arch-rivals of Thaksin's "Red Shirts", whose massive rallies against a previous government in 2010 ended in a bloody crackdown.

A PAD statement Saturday said there would be no protests next week, but urged supporters "to be on alert to rally."

Four reconciliation proposals are up for debate, threatening to further polarise politics in the country that has become increasingly divided in the years since Thaksin was toppled by royalist generals.

Three of the potential bills include amnesties that some fear could be used by the government to usher back the divisive former premier, who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption and terrorism charges relating to violence in 2010.

Activity on the streets has been mirrored within parliament in recent days, with police stepping in to protect the house speaker on Thursday from bundles on paper thrown by opposition Democrat MPs angry at his attempt to schedule the debate for Friday.

The Democrats have been close to the Yellows in the past and came to power after 2008 rallies by the movement that culminated with the seizure of two Bangkok airports, stranding more than 300,000 travellers and causing crippling economic damage.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-06-02

I bet she can tell you all the Burberry products and their prices.

Yes she knows the price of everything but the value of nothing...

Oscar Wilde's definition of a cynic. I think she has a bigger problem with hubris than cynicism, it's possibly genetic.

Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday warned the deeply divided kingdom faces a "cycle of violence" unless steps are taken towards reconciliation after years of civil unrest.

Strange, that wasn't apparent last week. Is that a threat?

The prime minister however said she has not yet seen all the details of the four proposed reconciliation bills but said she believes that all the bills share the same aim to end conflicts and move forward.

She hasn't even been told yet that one of the bills she doesn't know anything about, gives her 900 million baht.

But its the surprise gifts that always bring the greatest joy!

rolleyes.gif

I'm sure the 900million will pale into insignificance against her cut from the 46 billion that's the real target.

Poor KY. Going back to work in the family business is going to seem such a bore after this.

Edited by bigbamboo

blink.png
blink.png

I must be stupid, I don´t get it.sad.png

You clearly didn't get a degree in Applied Bullshit then.smile.png