Humidity, Fungus And Cameras – Problems & Solutions

Why High Humidity is bad for your equipment

Fungus grows in between lens elements and under the lens coatings. Once it gets started, it is a pain to get rid of, and causes soft spots in your photographs, being the equivalent of having a fingerprint on your lens. This is one case in which the ‘prevention’ keeps the lens doctors away.

Fungus or Mould thrive in dark, humid places where there is little, or no movement of air (sound familiar? look at where you store your camera equipment). Very often camera equipment ends up in drawers, cupboards, or basements; all of which are dubious places to store them. Remember that keeping your camera in storage for too long is also a recipe for fungal (and mechanical) disaster. Lenses and cameras need to be kept in use and exposed to light and fresh air from time to time. A camera or lens that is used well, and stored correctly is most likely to see many years of successful picture-taking.

Full article: http://www.beyondphototips.com/2008/10/19/humidity-fungus-and-cameras-problems-solutions/

Too much exposure to heat, in the car for example,

can also lead to disaster,as I discovered a few years back.

All the rubber seals round the shutter melted and disintegrated

on my old canon film camera. A rebuild was quite expensive,

but not as bad as forking out for a new camera.

• 2 weeks later...

Weather Or Not: Protect Your Camera From The Elements

Written by: allychevalier • Edited by: Rhonda Callow

Updated Dec 21, 2010

Water, Water, Everywhere!

Water is one of the worst enemies of the camera, capable of everything from frying out the circuits to depositing difficult-to-remove scum on the optics to destroying the LCD screen. It doesn't matter whether you're on the beach or in the rain, it's a dangerous environment for your camera.

The best thing you can do for your camera? Don't take it to the places where water's a real risk factor. If it's pouring outside and you're going to be out in the rain all day, it's really probably not the best idea to bring it with, even if you have all the rain gear in the world. Salt water in particular can cause corrosion, which is difficult to deal with.

That being said, a lot of times you just really need that camera around for those once-in-a-lifetime shots. There's a lot you can do to prevent water damage.

Consider purchasing a waterproof or water resistant camera case, one that is rugged enough to stand up to both natural and human elements, for between shots. Failing that, even just covering your bags in plastic wrapping will save it a lot of moisture damage.

Other accessories can also help keep your camera safe. Rain hoods are helpful if you absolutely have to get that shot in the pouring rain, though even with the most careful handling a few drops will always get in.

Dry your hands before handling the camera, even so much as taking it out of the case. Also, make sure that for those small droplets that you have some soft, dry lens cloths around to wipe it off.

Full article: http://www.brighthub.com/electronics/cameras-camcorders/articles/47810.aspx

• 1 month later...

If you have invested in cameras and lenses and live in Thailand; then you need to do something to protect them from the humidity. You can mess around with silica gel and teabags etc; but a few thousand baht buys you a proper humidity control cabinet in which you can store all your gear. Plug it in and no more worries.

I use zip lock bags when I store my lenses. I drop a bag of silica gel in there as well, push out as much air, suck out the air even. I figure, less air in bag - less moisture there as well. I just with I could find silica gel that changes color when it gets saturated. Can't tell whether the gel bags you can buy at Big Camera are not good anymore. Can anyone tell me how to determine whether gel bags need to be replaced?

I on the other hand invest in expensive gear so I don't have to worry about humidity and other elements of nature. May sound a bit odd or contradictory at first, but I feel that humidity should be the least of my worries and therefore it is.

Doesn't matter how much it costs, it can still be subject to fungus if not stored properly. Even a weather-sealed lens is not completely airtight and can grow fungus; plenty of experiences of that from high-end lens owners.

My most expensive lens is a Canon 300mm F2.8. It cost me $5,000 and as far as I am concerned I want to do everything possible to protect my investment, and storing it in a relatively cheap humidity controlled cabinet along with my other gear makes sense to me.

I've personally invested as well as been lucky enough to have others invest for me (hehe) plenty of expensive gear (if you want to play numbers we can pitch 30k+) that I've brought to hell and back, thankfully unharmed (relatively - some people would say I'm a monster). As long as my attitude stays that way, so does my gear. Fearing about the elements only costs me photo ops.

No science to back this statement up, but wouldn't it be safer just keeping it wet instead of constantly switching between dry box and humid conditions while shooting? I always figured its the changes that do the damage.

I've personally invested as well as been lucky enough to have others invest for me (hehe) plenty of expensive gear (if you want to play numbers we can pitch 30k+) that I've brought to hell and back, thankfully unharmed (relatively - some people would say I'm a monster). As long as my attitude stays that way, so does my gear. Fearing about the elements only costs me photo ops.

No science to back this statement up, but wouldn't it be safer just keeping it wet instead of constantly switching between dry box and humid conditions while shooting? I always figured its the changes that do the damage.

I was responding to your assertion that, if you spend enough money, you don't need to worry about humidity; which general experience would indicate not to be true. Five minutes on Google will throw up mould issues with Leica and professional grade Nikon and Canon lenses. For me, if I have saved up my money to buy a great lens, I am going to do everything I can to protect it. I can't afford to replace it.

No suggestion that proper storage should be part of, or interrupt the shooting schedule, that is plainly ridiculous. But when you take all your gear home and have finished shooting for the day; then it is prudent to store your equipment in an environment that controls the humidity. If you feel that investing in expensive gear nullifies that need, then that's a solution that works for you. But for the rest of us, the body of opinion seems to be that proper storage is a wise precaution.

One of the best things you can do for your camera in the tropics is put it in a zip lock bag when taking it from airconditioned areas to outside humid areas. Including cars. Leave it for 10 minutes or so to adjust to the temp. difference and no condensation will form on it.

One of the best things you can do for your camera in the tropics is put it in a zip lock bag when taking it from airconditioned areas to outside humid areas. Including cars. Leave it for 10 minutes or so to adjust to the temp. difference and no condensation will form on it.

That is a good one.

I have walked outside to grab a shot and the lens fogs up.

Back to fungus.

A dry cabinet is good for the resale value of your lenses.

You can assure the buyer the gear was kept in optimal conditions.

The cabinet will pay for itself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some great advice here! thumbsup.gif .... I have never seen or thought about these boxes.... going to take a look for one!

As for the silica gel, many "pill" bottles (Vitamins etc) have a bag inside them.... I always keep them for the camera bag... would never have thought of Tea bags! ..... actually many small electrical things you buy have these silica bags inside the box... (larger sacks) which would be better...

As for the silica gel, I am guessing sitting them in the sun for a short will would dry them out.... (?)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The humidity in Thailand is very high risk for fungus development and it can start growing without a few weeks and spread to other lenses, if they are kept together. I bought a Korean made GoodGood dry cabinet from AV Camera in Bangkok and it seems pretty good. Probably the Chinese made ones like Ailite are also OK but I was told the Korean ones are more reliable and quieter. There are many shapes and sizes available. There are also dry boxes for about Bt 2,000 which have a pump to manually create a vacuum. I have one I bought before my collection outgrew it and I think these work OK too.

I have one vintage Canon FD lens I bought on Ebay which turned out to have fungus in it. Since I had had it sent to an address in the UK and went to pick it up a couple of months later, it was too late to return it to the dishonest seller for a refund. I had it cleaned in Bkk but later noticed the fungus had either returned or not been fully removed. I have segregated the lens from the others by putting it by itself in a dry box. I have bought quite a few lenses and cameras on Ebay and all sellers have been scrupulously honest in describing the gear, except this one dirtbag.

Remember to keep your cameras and separate viewfinders dry too as fungus can develop in their optics. Also remove any leather cases before storing your gear, since the proteins in leather are a paradise for fungus.

Edited by Arkady

I believe a gentle warm in the oven will dry them

Yep, coffee1.gif that is very correct if you have an oven. Me, no have one, hence never had that problem in all the years in Thailand, but I have my car so that takes care of the problem, somewhat hot went I am driving.

Always take your camera out of your car and into your place where your are staying. Air-Con room is good.

As for long term storage, sorry can not help. I carry my gear with me all the time.

Win thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this, and knowing I would not be going to Suratthanii or BKK in a while....

I decided to try make my own de-humidity box... I had an electric box kicking around, so placed a light bulb socket through on of the punch out holes...added some gel bags etc.

At first i could not find a 5 watt bulb, & used a 40 watt bulb which heated things up a little too much! w00t.gif

These images were taken today, the wettest day in a while... In the box it's reading 55% humidity, lowest this week was 51%..... I am wondering what would be ideal ?? ....

Perhaps add another bulb socket and bulb.... ?

Any thoughts appreciated .....wink.png

post-85461-0-59611200-1353069736_thumb.j

post-85461-0-20393800-1353069747_thumb.j

post-85461-0-04548900-1353069754_thumb.j

• 8 months later...