Thailand News

Yep, this is getting loads of airtime in the UK. 5 News has just gone through a list of all the other Brit victims raped/murdered in Thailand (no matter how much worse stuff has gone on in the UK in the last 24 hours). Not only was she white, attractive and middle-class, but she was on a dream holiday, seems like anyone who visits Thailand is.

Lets hope Bangkok sends some police down to sort it out, the local cops are amongst, if not the most, useless in the whole of Thailand.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is Thailand safe?

Reports of the murder of a 21-year-old British student in Thailand at New Year's Eve have raised concerns over the safety of the holiday destination. News editor Ginny McGrath answers your questions

Has the Foreign and Commonwealth Office changed its advice?

No. The Foreign Office advises against all but essential travel to southern provinces parts of Thailand, but these are a long way from the country's popular holiday resorts including Phuket, Krabi and Koh Samui.

Is Thailand safe for western visitors?

Around 360,000 Britons visit Thailand every year, with the majority of trips trouble free. However, the Foreign Office warns visitors to be wary of taking drinks from strangers due to a number of incidents of drinks being drugged, and warns of a number of cases of sexual assault on foreign men and women.

Less serious crime includes overcharging for journeys by unlicensed taxis, which have black and white licence plates (licensed taxis have yellow and black licence plates).

In its guide to Thailand, Lonely Planet also warns of the dangers of leaving valuables in a hotel safe, with a number of incidents of theft reported in Chiang Mai guesthouses, and says several backpackers have recounted stories of theft on bus journeys between Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

What about Koh Samui?

The Times correspondent Andrew Drummond filed this report from Lamai Beach in Koh Samui on January 3: "Koh Samui is packed out. It's New Year, the hotels are full and flights on to the island are very difficult to get on to. The popularity of the island has increased because it was not hit by tsunami last year. A lot of British holidaymakers are believed to have switched their holidays from Phuket to Koh Samui and so the authorities are very keen not to damage the island's reputation as an idyll.

"In fact, there is little known about Koh Samui. It's very popular with backpackers and tourists but a lot of mainland Thais regard it as a rather dangerous place and are reluctant to come on holiday here."

In a warning to visitors, the Koh Samui Tourism Association states: "Though exceptionally safe by world standards, like any tourist area Samui has its petty criminals. These individuals are most often present late at night, especially in some of the entertainment areas."

Have any other Britons been murdered in Thailand in recent years?

Six British nationals have been murdered in Thailand since August 2004. In a well-reported case in August 2000, 23-year-old graduate Kirsty Jones was sexually assaulted and murdered in Chiang Mai.

Is Thailand more dangerous for women?

Both the Foreign Office and Lonely Planet warn women to be vigilant when travelling alone in Thailand following incidents of drinks spiking, sexual assault and pick pocketing.

The Koh Samui Tourism Association is more specific in its advice for female visitors: "Women especially should not accept an invitation from a stranger to walk on the beach at night, no matter how attractive he or she may be."

timesonline.com

Just was on BBC World news.

It's on the headlines in the UK, Sky News, BBC, ITN.

Apparently the Mum heard the attack in progress over the phone.

are you sure about that, this was in the paper

"While they were out there they met up with other friends, and it was one of them who actually phoned to break the news today. The girl she went out there with is inconsolable and couldn't speak."

It seems the fact her mother heard her scream is coming through in more of the press in the UK - this was on AOL news just now

"Mother Heard Murdered Briton's Scream

Found dead: Student Katherine Horton was holidaying in Thailand with a friend

A student found dead on a Thai island with head injuries was heard screaming by her mother during a telephone call before she disappeared, it has emerged.

It is understood 21-year-old Katherine Horton's mother, Elizabeth, heard her scream during a phone conversation before the line went dead on the evening of New Year's Day.

Katherine was found dead with head injuries in the sea by a jet skier on Monday morning.

A murder inquiry was then launched on the island of Koh Samui after a post-mortem examination showed she had been hit with a blunt object and dragged before being thrown in the water."

news link

How horrbile for her family - I assume they did not realise what was happening until they received the call the next day. They must feel so helpless being so far away from the investigation etc!

It really does make you realise how aware you have to be at all times - I shudder to think at the amount of times I have sat on beaches on Samui and Samet after sen set myself, without a thought!

''I have traveled and lived in some of the most troubled places in the world and have NEVER felt as threatened as I did on Koh Samui.''

Please, gimme a break...post again listing 'the most troubled places in the world'' and lets compare them to Samui, shall we? Honestly mate, if you felt threatened in Samui, then i have three words for you; Big. Girls. Blouse.

This is just what Thailand needs. Phuket suffers the tragady 26/12/2004 and the consequnces of negative press for months after... At least Samui gets a lucky break with an influx of tourists. This is just what the islands needs... people anouncing to the world how unsafe Samui is. Please, get some perspective here.

Well this is just silly... Actually it is so silly I had to join this forum... Jazz-man, where on this tormented planet did you live if you found samui intimidating? First of all, let me just say that I have no other reasons for writing this but pure love for this island. I am not hotel/restaurant owner/employee who is scared of losing potential visitors beacuse of this, or anything similar. I live in a country which was torn by civil war and dictatorship, where the crime rates are very high. Having said this, I have to say that compared to some of my previous travelling experiences, samui was a picnic! I recently returned from samui without a single thing gone wrong during my whole stay. Before i even got there i did a lot of research on this forum and others as well and I was pretty scared of the taxi mafia for example. Well guess what? I used taxi several times every day and everything was just fine. I've stayed at choeng mon, but have been in chaweng, bagrak and bophut several times. Again, everything was just great, never felt safer on a holiday. Ever been to Egypt? Now that place is scary, people looking at you ALL the time, nobody ever smiles. In my opinion, Samui is totally opposite to that. I do feel sorry about this girl, but I also think that all of us should wait for a little more facts before making any conclusions. For example, how do you know that she was killed by a thai? It is still possible that a farang killed her. And even if a thai did kill her, what gives you the right to speculate on the killer's motifs?

Well this is just silly... Actually it is so silly I had to join this forum... Jazz-man, where on this tormented planet did you live if you found samui intimidating? First of all, let me just say that I have no other reasons for writing this but pure love for this island. I am not hotel/restaurant owner/employee who is scared of losing potential visitors beacuse of this, or anything similar. I live in a country which was torn by civil war and dictatorship, where the crime rates are very high. Having said this, I have to say that compared to some of my previous travelling experiences, samui was a picnic! I recently returned from samui without a single thing gone wrong during my whole stay. Before i even got there i did a lot of research on this forum and others as well and I was pretty scared of the taxi mafia for example. Well guess what? I used taxi several times every day and everything was just fine. I've stayed at choeng mon, but have been in chaweng, bagrak and bophut several times. Again, everything was just great, never felt safer on a holiday. Ever been to Egypt? Now that place is scary, people looking at you ALL the time, nobody ever smiles. In my opinion, Samui is totally opposite to that. I do feel sorry about this girl, but I also think that all of us should wait for a little more facts before making any conclusions. For example, how do you know that she was killed by a thai? It is still possible that a farang killed her. And even if a thai did kill her, what gives you the right to speculate on the killer's motifs?

I have indeed been to Egypt, Syria, Iran ( during the Iran Iraq war), Gaza (although before the kidnappings began), Amritsar ( during the storming of the Golden Temple) and many more. Before this gets silly I will admit my comparison was somewhat ill thought. On such a sensitive subject it was not my intention to offend. On the subject of safety on Samui. I have no interest in promoting the image of a place that I feel is out of control. I also have no interest in Samui bashing. I have spent several years on the island and find it now intolerable. I have witnessed violence perpetrated by farang and Thai that was unprovoked brutal and shocking. The problem with speeding and dangerous driving and the lack of any control has got to the point where by you take your life in your hands each time you venture onto the roads. I know several people who have killed and been killed on these roads. Somebody mentioned earlier that police should be brought down from Bkok as the police were on Samui were useless. In fact they are less than that. I personaly know police actively involved in crime. I like most people love Samui as a natural paradise but many many of the people on it I'm sorry to say are truely horrible.

I'm sure many people will disagree. I might add that I am speaking from my experience. The purpose of this forum I'm sure is to share ones experience. Thats all I want to do.

Thai police said Welsh student Katherine Horton was attacked with a blunt instrument and left to drown on the resort island of Koh Samui.

Her father was flying to Thailand from Wales, while her brother was travelling to the country from Australia.

Miss Horton, 21, from Cardiff, was last seen phoning her mother on 1 January.

Family loss

The family issued a statement, saying: "Katherine was much loved by all her family and friends. We will miss her warmth, her vivacity and her passion for life."

The student had arrived on the island on New Year's Eve

Her parents Elizabeth and Ian, and older brothers, Richard and Christopher added: "She brought us so much happiness and words cannot express the emptiness we feel at our loss."

Miss Horton's body was found on Monday morning in the water by a jet skier.

Major Thanongsak Aksornsom, chief investigator on Samui island, said Miss Horton had been dead "for less than 12 hours".

"It's unlikely that this case was an accident but so far we have not issued an arrest warrant and are not interrogating any suspects," he added.

Her body was being transferred to Bangkok on Tuesday.

Police support

Following a post-mortem examination, a forensic scientist said her clothing was dishevelled; she had head and other internal injuries and bruising on the arms.

A family liaison officer from South Wales Police flew out to Thailand with Ian Horton but will not be involved in the Thai investigation.

"The officer has been sent purely to act in the capacity as a family liaison officer and it is stressed that the intention is not to question or undermine in any way, the investigation already under way by Thai Police," a police spokesman said.

Miss Horton, who was due to return home next week after a couple of weeks in Thailand, was with friends on Lamai beach on the evening of 1 January.

She is reported to have wandered away from them as she spoke to her mother on her mobile phone.

It is not known what happened to her between then and the discovery of her body.

BBC news Uk

absolute lie, England banned guns long ago

BRITAIN's firearms restrictions are among the most stringent in the world yet gun crime has increased significantly since responsable gun owners were penalised in the wake of some high-profile shootings.

(not that this has anything to do with this thread)

>>>in London in the last day two guys were shot with one dieing from his wounds

Just because guns are banned, it doesn't mean they dont exist! Last week in my hometown of Toronto, 6 innocent people were shot and one killed by 17 year old gang members on one of the busiest streets, on the busiest shopping day of the year.

These incidents are all tragic, and not isolated to one place. Toronto is a safe place, and Samui is so wonderful. We all have to be careful and be aware of our surroundings at all times, but sometimes horrible people do unthinkable things.

My sincere condolences to this girls family and her friend, who is probably terrified.

Errr... guns are not banned in the UK!...where did you get that from?

The story has been blown out of all proportion, but the lesson is don't walk alone in foreign lands late at night....especially if your a pretty young girl!

Photo5323.jpg

Katherine Horton

Rest in Peace

British backpacker 'was raped'

04/01/2006

The family of a British backpacker whose body was found in Thailand have flown out to the scene of her death amid reports she was raped.

Katherine Horton's father is travelling to Thailand today from the family home in Cardiff, while her elder brother is coming from his home in Australia.

They will visit Koh Samui where the 21-year-old psychology student was last seen alive on New Year's Day before being found dead in the sea 12 hours later by a water biker.

Father Ian and brother Richard's visit comes as reports from Thailand suggest that Ms Horton was sexually assaulted before being hit on the head and dragged out to sea.

A postmortem carried out by Thai police yesterday suggested that a blunt instrument was used to kill Ms Horton, although the official cause of death remains drowning according to the British Foreign Office (FCO).

And today, a local police officer has told Reuters news agency that the investigation is now "focusing on rape".

"Preliminary autopsies by local doctors found traces of rape attempts on her body," Samui police's lieutenant colonel Thanongsak Aksornsom said.

Amid reports in the British media that Ms Horton's mother had heard her scream before the line went dead when talking to her on a mobile phone at the turn of the year, the family yesterday released a statement speaking of their loss.

"Katherine was much loved by all her family and friends. We will miss her warmth, her vivacity and her passion for life," they said.

"This holiday had meant so much to her and she was so excited about travelling to Thailand before she was due to return to Reading University to complete her psychology degree.

"She brought us so much happiness and words cannot express the emptiness we feel at our loss."

Ms Horton was in Thailand after travelling with two friends from university and was due to meet up with another friend, but was thought to have been expected home next week.

An officer from South Wales police has travelled to Thailand with Ian Horton, but will only be acting in a liaison capacity, a spokesman said.

Police find evidence leading to murderer of British tourist

BANGKOK: -- Thai police expect to arrest the murderer of a young British woman -- dressed in an evening gown -- whose body found floating in the sea Monday near the resort island of Koh Samui in Surat Thani.

Police said they expect to arrest the murderer of 21-year-old Katherine Horton, a university student on holiday from England, in the next few days, as they found evidence leading to the culprit.

Pol.Lt-Gen. Montree Chamroon, commissioner of the Central Investigation Bureau, ordered Deputy Commissioner Asawin Kwanmuang to head the investigation team to find the criminal as the killing can tarnish the country's image.

Police are now questioning a key witness whose testimony contradicts the evidence.

The victim's brother, a British police officer, travelled to Samui to assist Thai police solve the crime.

--TNA 2006-01-04

Terrible, and sad. But I think everyone here is going abit overboard, rape and murder are crimes that occur everywhere, not just Samui. A woman walking down a beach alone late at night is at risk anywhere in the world.

it also rains everywhere in the world, some places perhaps once in a few years.. other places it pisses it down every day :o

From the Australian press

Welsh woman was raped in Thailand

From correspondents in Bangkok

January 04, 2006

A 21-year-old Welsh woman found dead on the Thai resort island of Samui was raped and beaten to death before her body was dumped in the sea, police said today.

"We have not yet identified a suspect because we are still compiling evidence and speaking with witnesses. Currently both tourist police and local police are working hard on this case," Central Investigation head Major Montri Chamroon said.

He said police were still awaiting results from an autopsy on the body of Katherine Elizabeth Horton, whose corpse was found floating in Lamai bay off Samui.

An official police report said that once the suspect is identified, "the charges we will file are raping a woman who is not his legal wife and assault resulting in death of the victim".

Police suspect that someone tried to rape her, but she resisted so he beat her to death before dumping her body into the sea.

Horton, from the Welsh capital Cardiff, had gone out for dinner on New Year's Day with her travelling companion Ruth Adams, near the bungalow where they were staying on Lamai beach, police said.

She left Adams after dinner and walked alone down the beach as she spoke on her mobile phone, near the New Hut Bungalow resort, where they were staying, police added.

Her body was found floating in the sea on Monday by a man who rents jet skis to tourists.

Horton had flown to Thailand for a short break with Adams on December 27 after celebrating Christmas with her family, a family friend said.

The pair was due to fly home on January 10.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

now it seems she was gang raped by up to four locals as just reported on the birtish sky news, but the police will make an arrest very quickly, they say.

this is getting a lot of coverage and they are bringing up the past killings in thailand and asking the question is thailand safe for trvellers.

this is not going to help the tourist industry at all.

if they catch the culprits i believe they will be made an example of.

I hope they catch whoever commited this atrocity. Its sick, no matter where they came from.

I just really hope this can be sorted as quickly as possible, so that the parents and family can get the young girls body back on Welsh soil and, try to regain some dignity for her. Peace for themselves.

redrus :o

spurious arguments as they are not tourists. why do these thailand apologists keep on throwing red herrings into this case?

We are talking about crimes specifically against tourists in Thailand not comparing general crimes in local populations in any other place in the world.

Now if you say compare crimes and murders against tourists in other places in the world then thats a relevant argument.

Horton’s death has received intense media coverage internationally. Several major news agencies and websites of leading British media organisations, including The Sun, The Guardian, and The Times, ran stories on the case.

An article on www.icwales.icnetwork.co.uk said Horton was the seventh Briton to have been murdered in Thailand over the past 16 months.

I'm by no means a Thailand apologist...I recoginse its many faults....And perhaps a better analogy would have been crimes against tourists...

However, the point I was genuinely trying to make was that it's a dangerous world we live in...

:o

I'm by no means a Thailand apologist...I recoginse its many faults....And perhaps a better analogy would have been crimes against tourists...

However, the point I was genuinely trying to make was that it's a dangerous world we live in...

in the uk we used to say we're glad we live here and not in the usa, that was a short ten years ago and now look at the sh+t hole england has become,

i pray and sincerely hope thailand does not ignore the problems and addresses the situations that are occuring on a more regular basis before it becomes to late.

and a bit of advise for the government keep out the liberal lefties and do gooders

and never sign up to the soft human rights act that only serves to give help to the criminals when the victims are left to sort out the mayhem by themselves.

Horton’s death has received intense media coverage internationally. Several major news agencies and websites of leading British media organisations, including The Sun, The Guardian, and The Times, ran stories on the case.

An article on www.icwales.icnetwork.co.uk said Horton was the seventh Briton to have been murdered in Thailand over the past 16 months.

did you ever investigate the brit guy murdered in Si Racha some years back?

tied with rope under the pier ,he drowned ,then police said it was suicide !

it happened in 1998

in the uk we used to say we're glad we live here and not in the usa, that was a short ten years ago and now look at the sh+t hole england has become,

i pray and sincerely hope thailand does not ignore the problems and addresses the situations that are occuring on a more regular basis before it becomes to late.

and a bit of advise for the government keep out the liberal lefties and do gooders

and never sign up to the soft human rights act that only serves to give help to the criminals when the victims are left to sort out the mayhem by themselves.

Yeah right genius!! 2000 extra judicial killings in the highly selective and phoney war on drugs has made Thailand the crime free paradise Thaksin knew it always should be! Dont know what Amnesty international were on about complaining about Thailands human rights record!!!!!