Thailand News

Terrible, and sad. But I think everyone here is going abit overboard, rape and murder are crimes that occur everywhere, not just Samui. A woman walking down a beach alone late at night is at risk anywhere in the world.

Also, the two Swedish girls who died in Koh Phangan were swimming in the middle of the day, it had nothing to do with being attacked at all. So, I don't see any deja vu at all here.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Terrible, and sad. But I think everyone here is going abit overboard, rape and murder are crimes that occur everywhere, not just Samui. A woman walking down a beach alone late at night is at risk anywhere in the world.

yeah so its her fault is it...??? why do think people like to visit these places..??, bet she even telling her mum how beautiful the sea looked ....just imagine what it will be like in another 10 years... :o:D

yeah so its her fault is it...??? why do think people like to visit these places..??, bet she even telling her mum how beautiful the sea looked ....just imagine what it will be like in another 10 years... :o:D

Did I say it was her fault? Is it ever any woman's fault that gets raped? Ben, I am a woman so I do know what I am talking about here-- but I have seen it time and time again, women and girls behaving in risky ways, thinking that, somehow, just because they are on holiday, they are somehow safer. The unfortunate fact of being a woman is that there are predators everywhere and a woman should never let her guard down nor put herself in a risky situation.

Also, the two Swedish girls who died in Koh Phangan were swimming in the middle of the day, it had nothing to do with being attacked at all. So, I don't see any deja vu at all here.

Agreed. These dumb opinions of because a place is beautiful means its safe are complete nonsence. "I hope its not becoming another pattaya" :D all stated by people that have probably never even been there. :o

A British woman whose body was found in the sea near the Thai resort island of Koh Samui had been beaten and dragged before drowning, a forensics doctor said.

A jet skier found the body of Katharine Horton, 21, of Mayfair Drive, Thornhill, Cardiff, south Wales, still wearing an evening dress, in the sea near Lamai beach on Koh Samui, said police Major Tanongsak Aksornsom.

He said Horton's friends told police that she left on Sunday to go for a walk, but never returned to her room.

Police Lt Colonel Dr Pattana Kitkailart, who performed the post mortem on Horton's body in Bangkok, said she had been hit on the head and body and dragged before drowning.

Pattana said further lab tests were being conducted.

Her mother, Elizabeth Horton, said from her home in Cardiff: "I am obviously devastated. It is really too difficult to talk."

Police have been speaking to her travelling companion, Ruth Adams, who told them Miss Horton received a call from her relatives on her mobile phone while sitting on the beach near the New Hut Bungalow resort where they were staying.

While her friend strolled along the beach as she chatted to her family, Miss Adams returned to their bungalow and fell asleep.

When she woke up she realised Miss Horton was missing.

maybe in Johanesburgh it might but not in say Spain or the Greek islands you dont hear of these sorts of crimes in other popular resorts around the world.

The rape and murder of the Brit gal in ChiangMai has still not been resolved, another rapist/murderer still on the lose there.

Tuesday January 3, 8:39 AM

Thai police say Briton's death probably not accident

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thai police on the resort island of Samui have said the death of a British backpacker was probably not accidental, while an autopsy showed she had suffocated and appeared to have been beaten.

"It's unlikely that this case was an accident but so far we have not issued an arrest warrant and are not interrogating any suspects," Major Thanongsak Aksornsom, chief investigator on Samui island, said before the autopsy result.

The body of 21-year-old Katherine Horton of Cardiff, Wales, was found floating in Lamai bay on Monday morning by a man who rents jet skis to tourists.

An initial autopsy result conducted by the National Police Office's forensic institute in Bangkok concluded Horton died from suffocation before drowning, but further tests were needed to learn if she had been raped, police said.

"Normally it will take a month, but in high profile cases like this it may take two or three days to know whether she was raped," a police officer said.

The officer, quoting the pathologist who performed the autopsy, said the bruising around Horton's head suggested she had been beaten, while scratches on her arms and back meant her body could have been dragged.

Thanongsak said police would examine the New Hut bungalow on famed Lamai beach where Horton was last seen by a friend on Sunday night, as well as the site where her body was found.

A British embassy spokesman said police in Britain had notified Horton's family, while a consular official was dispatched to Samui early Tuesday to meet Horton's friends and assist the investigation.

British media reports said Horton was a psychology student at Reading University who was in Thailand for a two-week holiday and had called relatives in Wales on New Year's Eve to wish them a happy new year.

This is a sad story, seems she fought, too bad it cost her so dearly. I wonder what I would do if I were to walk into a rape or robery attack like this, I think if I saw one I would be hard pressed not to take an attackers life and that would cost not only myself but the attacker as well.

Would I take them out? Or could I? I know many may be thinking OH NO just call the cops and wing it out of the area, but you never know until it actually happens I hope it never does. This makes 3 or 4 vicious murders of farangs in the last 45 days? I just know when I read this kind of stuff I wonder if I am next or one of my close friends, how can a farang fight back when all the odds are against them?

:o

Food for thought: walk the middle of the road let all who wish to pass do so without so much as a whine, you will live longer. And should you get fed up and take action in the LOS you will loose for sure.

How often do you see people using a mobile phone who seem in a world of their own?

I do it myself, walking aimlessly, in circles - even indoors - not even thinking what I am doing as I concentrate on the call.

I'm sure in other circumstances she wouldn't have walked off on her own in darkness and would have considered her surroundings.

The actions of her friend seem a bit odd though? Just going back to bed, But then tiredness also makes you act in funny ways and they'd packed a fair bit of travelling into a couple of days. She will have to live with that for the rest of her life.

It seems even more a tragedy in that it was in all probability, very avoidable and that circumstances conspired against them.

How often do you see people using a mobile phone who seem in a world of their own?

I do it myself, walking aimlessly, in circles - even indoors - not even thinking what I am doing as I concentrate on the call.

I'm sure in other circumstances she wouldn't have walked off on her own in darkness and would have considered her surroundings.

The actions of her friend seem a bit odd though? Just going back to bed, But then tiredness also makes you act in funny ways and they'd packed a fair bit of travelling into a couple of days. She will have to live with that for the rest of her life.

It seems even more a tragedy in that it was in all probability, very avoidable and that circumstances conspired against them.

This sounds a bit heartless - its not meant to be.

They weren't to know that someone was out there, but in other circumstances they wouldn't have put themselves at risk from anyone who was.

Just was on BBC World news.

It's on the headlines in the UK, Sky News, BBC, ITN.

Apparently the Mum heard the attack in progress over the phone.

:o Oh My God :D I'm speechless. Poor girl, poor Mother, family and girlfriend.

LaoPo

Just was on BBC World news.

It's on the headlines in the UK, Sky News, BBC, ITN.

Apparently the Mum heard the attack in progress over the phone.

are you sure about that, this was in the paper

"While they were out there they met up with other friends, and it was one of them who actually phoned to break the news today. The girl she went out there with is inconsolable and couldn't speak."

Thai police investigate British death

KOH SAMUI: -- A murder investigation has been launched following the discovery of a British student's body in Thailand.

Psychology student Katherine Horton, 21, of Thornhill, Cardiff, South Wales, had flown to Koh Samui to see in the New Year with a friend.

She was last seen alive on New Year's Day. Her body was found by a jet-skier yesterday, still wearing an evening dress.

Police forensic scientist Dr Pattana Kitkailart, who performed a post-mortem on Miss Horton's body in the Thai capital, Bangkok, said she had been hit on the head and body and dragged before drowning.

He said further lab tests were being conducted.

Police spokesman Tanongsak Aksornsom said Miss Horton "had been dead for less than 12 hours" when her body was found.

Describing the findings of his post mortem, Dr Pattana Kitkailart said: "There were wounds on her head from being hit with a blunt object and on her body and arms there were signs that she was dragged."

He said "it was not clear" from the post mortem if Miss Horton had been raped.

Unconfirmed reorts claim Katherine was on talking to her mother on the phone at the time of the attack.

Local news footage showed the student's body on a beach wearing a dark green, single strapped dress with bruising visible on her left shoulder.

The spokesman said Miss Horton was last seen on Sunday evening by her friend Ruth Adams, with whom she had travelled to the popular holiday island.

She apparently disappeared moments after wishing her family a happy New Year by phone.

Miss Horton had flown out to Thailand for a short break with Miss Adams on December 27 after celebrating Christmas with her family. The pair were due to fly home next Tuesday.

Her mother, Elizabeth Horton, said from her home in Cardiff: "I am obviously devastated. It is really too difficult to talk."

Police have been speaking to Miss Adams who told them Miss Horton received a call from her relatives on her mobile phone while sitting on the beach near the New Hut Bungalow resort where they were staying.

While her friend strolled along the beach as she chatted to her family, Miss Adams returned to their bungalow and fell asleep. When she woke up she realised Miss Horton was missing.

Friends who quickly rallied to support the family spoke of their shock and devastation.

One family friend, who did not wish to be named, said she believed Katherine was a second year psychology student at Reading University.

She said: "It was only a short backpacking holiday with a girlfriend. They were due back on January 10. While they were out there they met up with other friends and it was one of them who actually phoned to break the news today.

"The girl she went out there with is inconsolable and couldn't speak but we have had no official information at all. Nobody has contacted Elizabeth. We simply don't know what happened.

"The family are trying to find out what exactly has happened but there is no news at the moment. Everyone is in complete shock."

She said Katherine had two older brothers.

--itn.co.uk 2006-01-03

Edited by george

sabaijai: "Source? Hopefully not our local ambulance-chasing Andrew Drummond ..."

Why the negative comment?

From this week's Pattaya Mail - a very good example of some of the very violent individuals that hang around in tourist areas. A Neanderthal.

Local ‘big shot’ is banged up for attack

n8-648.jpg

Boonlua Chatree

A Thai man who attacked a British tourist and a Thai girl and then claimed he was an important man and above the law has been incarcerated.

Rakkate Khunwattana told officers that he was a big name and had been dragged into the police station on many occasions and was afraid of no one.

Police were called out at 11 p.m. on December 20 to a food vendor’s stall at the back of Pattaya Chu department store in South Pattaya where they found a foreigner who had had a bottle smashed over his head, covering him in blood, and a Thai girl with an injury to her head and a split right eyelid.

The man was identified as 62-year-old Kenneth Gibson from the UK, and the girl as 26-year-old Miss Anchalee Srikrachang. On questioning, the officers were informed that the assailant’s name was Rakkate Khunwattana, who was still sitting coolly at the food stall. The officers arrested him and took him to Pattaya police station.

Anchalee told officers that she was sat drinking with Gibson when Khunwattana walked in, sat down and started insulting her. She argued with him and Khunwattana hit her with a bottle and then struck out at Gibson.

Khunwattana, 42, told officers that he was a big name and had been dragged into the police station on many occasions and was afraid of no one. The reason he attacked Anchalee was because she did not know who he was and had the cheek to argue with him. He refused to admit that he had attacked Gibson and didn’t have a clue how he had suffered his injuries. Police kept him locked up.

Edited by bulmercke

Never ever walk on a beach alone at night,not only in Thailand but most beaches.

Most people just don,t understand the native people are not all getting welthy out of this Tourist boom on Samui, and lots are getting very frustrated by all these farangs.

Strikingly similar to the Natalie Halloway / Aruba story

A complete different story you mean,this girl dated 3 Dutch/Aruba men and is never been found.

Never ever walk on a beach alone at night,not only in Thailand but most beaches.

Most people just don,t understand the native people are not all getting welthy out of this Tourist boom on Samui, and lots are getting  very frustrated by all these farangs.

theres a lot of petty crime on samui ,theft from bungalows is common ,while you are out partying .

locals must be pissed off with the gaping difference in wealth betwen the farangs and them.

Not so likely the local Samui-ans, they're normally pretty well off.

It's more likely the 'imported' Thai's from neighbouring cities, provinces and who knows from where else.

Edited by limbos

Phuket Gazette Update:

UK student found dead on Samui

SAMUI: -- The policeman in charge of the investigation into the death of British tourist Catherine Horton suspects foul play may be responsible, but said that a preliminary police examination of the body revealed no signs of assault or rape.

Pol Maj Thanongsak Aksornsom of the Samui District Police told the Gazette that Miss Horton ‘s body, in a black dress, was found floating in shallow water off Lamai Beach at about 10 am yesterday by a jet-ski rental operator.

The Cardiff, Wales, native, a 21-year-old student at the University of Reading, was on holiday on Samui with a friend. The pair arrived in Thailand on December 27 and reached Koh Samui on December 31, in time to celebrate New Year’s Eve there.

As her friend returned to their shared bungalow late on the evening of January 1, Miss Horton took a late-night stroll along Lamai Beach. Her body was found the next morning.

Police are questioning people in the area, but have not identified any suspects, Maj Thanongsak said.

From the shoreline location of the recovered body police assume that death was the result of an accident or an attack on the beach, he added.

Miss Horton’s body will be sent to the Royal Thai Police Office of Forensic Science in Bangkok for further examination to try and determine the exact cause of death, he said.

Maj Thanongsak declined to comment on a news report on a Thai-language TV station stating that Miss Horton had been raped and murdered.

--Phuket Gazette 2005-03-03

It's all over the news here in Reading, UK (where she was studying) - I'm finding it a bit strange how much coverage this story's getting here in the UK, this kind of thing happens quite often in Thailand, especially in the South - maybe it's the timing, being NYE etc?

It's all over the news here in Reading, UK (where she was studying)  - I'm finding it a bit strange how much coverage this story's getting here in the UK, this kind of thing happens quite often in Thailand, especially in the South - maybe it's the timing, being NYE etc?

No it does'nt happen often especially in the south, Not to farangs. :o

It's the "silly season" in the UK...

Very quiet time for the newspapers, TV etc therefore the large amount of coverage...Plus she was young, pretty, white and middle-class...not that this should matter.

Compare this death... to the few paragraphs on the guy who was murdered in Koh Chang over Christmas...

And finally, to put it into perpsective... in London in the last day two guys were shot with one dieing from his wounds... and one chap was stabbed to death in his front room by two people who broke into his house....(source MET POLICE)

What's the world coming too......

:o