Speed Limit On Hang Dong Road?

ChiangMai101

Speed limit for normal car or pick up

On highway inside Chiang Mai Municipality(Tesaban Kakhon Chiang Mai) area, driving limit 80km./hour

On hightway outside Chiang Mai Municipality 90km./hour

On superhighway 120 km./hour.

In city speed limit 40km./hour ?

Of course excessive speed is a real problem on that road and all roads of course but I like that you pointed out that people do drive a ridicuously slow speeds too!

I think that it is very dangerous and a regular occurance that drivers are driving at 20km/h in the left lane looking for a left turn or even worse trying to get across to do a u-turn.

YoungBrit

Of course excessive speed is a real problem on that road and all roads of course but I like that you pointed out that people do drive a ridicuously slow speeds too!

I think that it is very dangerous and a regular occurance that drivers are driving at 20km/h in the left lane looking for a left turn or even worse trying to get across to do a u-turn.

YoungBrit

the left lane are for slower drivers isnt it? 20km/h on the left looking for a turn seems acceptable to me

There's another recent thread on driving in Thailand that has a good graphic included which indicates, I recall, that in an "urban" area 50km is the limit, as well as showing very clearly some "rules of the road" around here which indicate caution on a crowded road. Sometimes, driving faster on a road like the Hang Dong Road is often the rule, but there is a lot of local traffic on much of that road, so cmbe's advice above to drive relative to conditions is very smart. Was he a driving instructor?

Having lived in the Mae hia Hang dong area the last 10 years I can't say I remember seeing any speed limit signs

Having said that I have never seen then inforce a speed limit in that area either. Helmets, seat belts, and current stickers yes near airport plaza but never anything or any where else.

In a car with all the traffic it is hard to go much over 60 until after makro. Still you have 4 more traffic lights between Makro and where your asking about that again would limit the speed to mard to get over 100 on a lucky day

My motorcycles are another story . . .

YoungBrit

the left lane are for slower drivers isnt it? 20km/h on the left looking for a turn seems acceptable to me

Ok, fair point. Although trying to move across lanes at a very slow speed is certainly not safe.

Here's a good site that makes a bit more clear lots of what to expect on the roads here. Near the bottom of the page you can click to go to page two, which covers road signs.

http://freebeerforyo...om/driving.html

A wonderful site! My favorite highlight: "Thai people rarely have a formulated plan. It is common for any outline plan to change dynamically. This can be witnessed in driving when a manoeuver is amended part way through, e.g. although a right turn indicator is flashing, the driver decides that a left turn may be more appropriate. Planning ahead also appears to be missing from the Thai language therefore manoeuvers are likely to be undertaken at the last minute."
  • Like 1

We moved to the area 2 months ago. I also have not seen any speed signs. Of course road conditions and other traffic must be considered when choosing your speed. On a few occasions when it has not been busy I have managed to do 80 on that road in the SUV but then I realised my white knuckled husband was not enjoying it as much as I was. Going faster than that just won't feel right. Too much swerving going on. Being high up in the SUV has its advantages in being able to see what's ahead a lot better than in a sedan. In Aus I always drove a sedan and cursed the SUVs and 4WDs because I could never see past them. So I decided that if you can't beat them, join them! I feel a lot safer here in one of those. Apologies to all the sedan drivers for blocking your view. Will try my best not to...

Thanks for the link MrBrad. Very useful.

• Like 1

Having said that I have never seen then inforce a speed limit in that area either. Helmets, seat belts, and current stickers yes near airport plaza but never anything or any where else.

Hard and too much work for a BIB on a beaten up old Honda Click to chase a BMW.

The things you mention require no transport, no hard work and no grey matter.

Speed limits is a subject I raised with the local police when I moved here. Laughter followed and I soon learned why (mentioned many times in this and other forums).

BUT... the official speed limits, I was quickly informed, are as follows:

City roads and streets: 60 kmph (unless posted otherwise - but exceptions rarely seen - I recall seeing several in the CM old city area);

Secondary and primary roads (including within City boundaries if no urban speed reduction signs are posted): 90 kmph;

Throughways (such as Highways 18, 11, 118 / Super-highways: 100 kmph if 2 lane; 110 kmph if 4 lane or more (but CAN be 120 if totally grade-separated AND posted as such).

Gospel according to the Highway Patrol......

One of the highway patrol's speed cameras is set up on the superhighway (Hwy. 11) under the Sankampang Hwy. flyover, but not all the time. If you are doing 120 kph at the time you pass Big C you will receive a letter with a photo showing the front of your car/truck and your smiling face. The cost of the photograph is 400 baht. The other speed camera I know of is also on Hwy. 11 a few kilometers south of the jungle market going into Lampang. I know about these personally.

One of the highway patrol's speed cameras is set up on the superhighway (Hwy. 11) under the Sankampang Hwy. flyover, but not all the time. If you are doing 120 kph at the time you pass Big C you will receive a letter with a photo showing the front of your car/truck and your smiling face. The cost of the photograph is 400 baht. The other speed camera I know of is also on Hwy. 11 a few kilometers south of the jungle market going into Lampang. I know about these personally.

...I think there are some located in underpasses at the ring road...if someone knows how to do it,can chart those places on the CM map ..smile.png