Motorcycle Taxis Licensed Nationwide

george

Motorcycle taxis licensed

BANGKOK: -- The Land Transport Department yesterday began registering motorcycle taxis across the nation.

The registration period will run till March 7, beyond which date unregistered taxis will face a maximum fine of Bt2,000.

In Chiang Mai, more than 40 motorcyclists registered their vehicles for taxi services. The registration costs Bt115, including an application form and a vehicle check-up.

“The official registration will get rid of mafia-style figures around Jamhorm, an official at Chiang Mai Transport Office said.

He said registered drivers of motorcycle taxis would not be allowed to rent their vehicles to anyone else. This measure aims to help secure insurance coverage in case of accidents.

In Chiang Mai, motorcycle-taxi driver Arkom Suknan was the first to register.

“I am happy,” he said. “I got the licence plate Kor Kor Khor 1. This is a good start to the new year.”

The Land Transport Department set a maximum fare of Bt25 for the first two kilometres of any trip, with a Bt5 mark-up for each additional kilometre. Fares for longer trips are subject to negotiation.

--The Nation 2006-01-06

I thought the local cops on the corner had been "licencing" these taxis for

the last couple of years?

Here in Sri Racha they certainly needed a permit to work!!

How will the cops make their quota now?