Aussie And Classic And Muscle Cars In Thailand

Pabs

A replica XY? No idea, but somewhere in the region of 1 to 2 mil would not surprise me.

On what base would you build it? Importing the required parts would be insanely expensive.

There are a few HQ Holdens here, but that would probably be the devil brand for you.

I think it qwould be a doable project. That one for 300K isn't a bad buy if the body is in good order. My dad had an XY 3.3. Would shake rattle and roll at 90 mphlaugh.png The advertised car had a 1JZ in it which is a good idea as the parts are readily available - no V8 howl though! The interior looks pretty lousy by today's standards so I'd probably gut that and change it completely - unless your a purist that is!

I have seen a few Fairlanes on the road here from around that era, ZA to ZC models but don't recall seeing a ZD. Saw them a little more often in the early to mid '90s but have not seen one in recent times.

A firend some years ago had what I think was a XF Falcon which he bought from a tent dealer very cheaply as I think they were just happy to get rid of what to them was an unusual vehicle.

American cars getting very expensive now. Usually you pay close to 300'k for a project car with blue book (Sometime cheap us cars have no book, or have to pay 10 year back taxes, this is what you don't see on the internet). It's anyway not always good, what you see on the pictures in the internet. You have to see the car for real. If you buy a "300'k project" you have to expect to spend another 300'k to make it right and put a V8 back in again. I restored american cars all my life, but specially in Thailand such cars are very expensive.

Aussie cars are quite cheaper, but most of them i seen are pretty f...ed up. Same problem to make it right you have to spend another 300'k. A UZ V8 cost about 30 to 35'k, but the installations cost another 40'k to do it right. So it's almost a 100'k engineside! So then you have to fix the rust, interior, suspensions, AC, tires, alloy wheels, nice stereo, etc, all together we talking about another 200'k at least So finally the car cost close to 600'k and if you want to sell it, noone gonna buy it.

You can really only do, if you really planning to keep it.

It cost a lot of nervs, to do restaration in Thailand. Some cheap lousy workshop will lose the parts, So the only way is to take the car a part by your self. I seen many projects in some local workshop, which never came together again, because they lost to many parts. If you really wanna do this you have to stand behind, visit the workshop everyday, control everything what they do and what they plan to do.

All together, it's not really worth it!

What are these people thinking!!!

There is a 67 Thunderbird advertised with a !UZ donk.....sacrilege!

It looks absolutely awesome. And that 1UZ is just as powerful and more fuel efficient than anything that car ever came with.

What are these people thinking!!!

There is a 67 Thunderbird advertised with a !UZ donk.....sacrilege!

It looks absolutely awesome. And that 1UZ is just as powerful and more fuel efficient than anything that car ever came with.

It's a 4 door, so not really very interesting, but it's ok for Thailand. You have to go see it for real. Mae sure it have correct blue book and all the trasnfer papers, make sure the roadtax is up to date.

BTW, UZ engines are to only one V8 you can get easly in Thailand. I had 2 Oldsmobiles and fitted in both the 1 UZ V8 (four cams, 32 valves) from Toyota Lexus. The engine has a lot of power and the fuelcomsumption was 11 liter for 100km in a 2 tonnes car, which is absolutely amazing. If you put a double exhoust system with only 2 glaspack mufflers, just before the tailpipe, it's get the typical deep "blubbering" V8 sound, exactly like a Chevy engine, but the idle speed is much smoother on the Lexus engine. Best engine for Thailand, Absolutely troublefree and powerful!

Missed out buying an Aussie Ford XY Falcon for 78000 baht a few years back and still kicking myself but there is still hope as i have still seen a Holden HQ Statesman ,Holden HQ GTS Monaro ,Ford Capri and an Ford XY Falcon wagon and a Holden HX Premier sedan lurking around the west.

I have my eye on a XY falcon 500 in the north east . The guy wants 150000 baht for it.. Really good condition. Origonal body, but has toyota diesel engine. Was looking at doing a GT replica . Was thinking of importing the parts I need from Australia . My understanding is you can import spare parts engines ect. into Thailand but not cars..

Was thinking of getting the motor and trans built in oz. Also wondering if I should use an efi 5 liter from an e seriers falcon and stroking it to a 5.6 liter. Rather than use a 351.

I wouldnt want the prject to go past 1 million baht. and will the car be worth 1 million plus once its finished?

It would be a one of a kind in Thailand

I have my eye on a XY falcon 500 in the north east . The guy wants 150000 baht for it.. Really good condition. Origonal body, but has toyota diesel engine. Was looking at doing a GT replica . Was thinking of importing the parts I need from Australia . My understanding is you can import spare parts engines ect. into Thailand but not cars..

Was thinking of getting the motor and trans built in oz. Also wondering if I should use an efi 5 liter from an e seriers falcon and stroking it to a 5.6 liter. Rather than use a 351.

I wouldnt want the prject to go past 1 million baht. and will the car be worth 1 million plus once its finished?

It will end up costing a fortune.

PS. The 351 (5.7) is a good motor to easily tune but would worry a bit if had a Holley and the heat here.

Cars like this are worthless in LOS, because peaple not really interested in it. They prefer a new Honda or Toyota instead. They don't understand, If you do it, you haveto keep it. To sad, but in LOS is no marked for classic and muscle cars.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have my eye on a XY falcon 500 in the north east . The guy wants 150000 baht for it.. Really good condition. Origonal body, but has toyota diesel engine.

Was it red with white interior and near Roi Et region ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

American cars getting very expensive now. Usually you pay close to 300'k for a project car with blue book (Sometime cheap us cars have no book, or have to pay 10 year back taxes, this is what you don't see on the internet). It's anyway not always good, what you see on the pictures in the internet. You have to see the car for real. If you buy a "300'k project" you have to expect to spend another 300'k to make it right and put a V8 back in again. I restored american cars all my life, but specially in Thailand such cars are very expensive.

Aussie cars are quite cheaper, but most of them i seen are pretty f...ed up. Same problem to make it right you have to spend another 300'k. A UZ V8 cost about 30 to 35'k, but the installations cost another 40'k to do it right. So it's almost a 100'k engineside! So then you have to fix the rust, interior, suspensions, AC, tires, alloy wheels, nice stereo, etc, all together we talking about another 200'k at least So finally the car cost close to 600'k and if you want to sell it, noone gonna buy it.

You can really only do, if you really planning to keep it.

It cost a lot of nervs, to do restaration in Thailand. Some cheap lousy workshop will lose the parts, So the only way is to take the car a part by your self. I seen many projects in some local workshop, which never came together again, because they lost to many parts. If you really wanna do this you have to stand behind, visit the workshop everyday, control everything what they do and what they plan to do.

All together, it's not really worth it!

I run carkolor in Sattahip and we succesfully restore American and Brit classics daily without losing bits

www.carkolor.com

and I know my customers think it is worth it as you say American classics are gaining value quickly here

Missed out buying an Aussie Ford XY Falcon for 78000 baht a few years back and still kicking myself but there is still hope as i have still seen a Holden HQ Statesman ,Holden HQ GTS Monaro ,Ford Capri and an Ford XY Falcon wagon and a Holden HX Premier sedan lurking around the west.

In the soi that runs behind Pata Pinklao in Bkk there is an unsigned garage that works on classic muscle cars, he has a couple of 67 mustangs on stands now.

He has a large yard behind the shop with old holdens and I think a falcon....(you can only see when he opens his gate.

US and Classics are nice (it's actually my heart), but they have no value in LOS if you ever want to sell it. I had many of them in my past, but now they getting rare. Can find only junk for high prices now, but noone buys them anyway. I use to have many nice ones, but Locals not see the different between a nice one or a junk one and they always complained about the high prices for such a old car. That's what they said. If you buy one, you are married to it.

Another thing: most of the classic cars you find here are pretty f...ked up, have a japanese diesel engine ( Nissan LD28) installed and no correct paperwork either. An american car with a 6 banger diesel engine is no fun at all.

For a project american car you will pay about 300'k (not a classic, just a 4 door car) with papers and blue book and 6 year back taxes (which you have to pay additional). For a Aussie car maybe half the price!

Ned reestore the whole car (it takes a year) for approx the same amount again, put a V8 back into it, bodywork, paint, finding parts, interior, electrical works, suspension, tires, wheels, brakes, etc. Beleve me the car will end up about 600'k to 700'k if you do it right, a lot of headache, etc.

It isn't worth it at all, when you sell it you get maybe max 200'k back. The prices they ask and the prices they can get are never the same. I see muscle cars for 1.5 to 2 mill for sale since years and noone bought them.

Then another thing, where you want to drive a nice Classic muscle car in LOS? Motorbikes will scratch it, accidents will happen, peaple sitting on your hood to take pictures, damage your paintwork, etc. I wouldn't have the nerves for that anymore.

I see a few cars around town even a Lambo Contach one day sitting at a shop, But very few overall,

I live in California and there are so many 70s cars as everyday drivers and still some 50-60s cars as drivers ,

But driving a Yank tank around BKK everyday would not be fun , just too big for the small Sois ,

Great for a weekend or special occasion :)