Argentina Passes Most Progressive Transgender Id Card Policy In The World

Congratulations to Argentina for making the world notice yet again.

First a surprising legalization of same sex marriage in macho Latin America.

Now the most ground breaking transgender ID law in world history.

A transgender person in Argentina can now get his/her ID card changed based simply on how he/she FEELS. No need for a court order or a doctor's approval.

It could almost be argued as being TOO LIBERAL, but I won't go there!

OK, maybe I will a little bit. Couldn't a person just do this as a stunt or a joke? Would people be able to change their sex on their ID card every year depending on their mood?

Even more astounding is how overwhelming the vote was in favor of this change in their Senate:

55-0

Viva Argentinapost-37101-0-30293100-1338875763_thumb.j

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina — Transsexuals lined up Monday to be the first to take advantage of Argentina’s groundbreaking gender-identity law, which enables people to change their names and sexes on official documents without first getting approval from a judge or doctor.

No other country in the world allows people to change their official identities based merely on how they feel.

http://www.washingto...F9DV_story.html

Connecting this to Thailand which I don't need to, but it's apt. With transgenders in Thailand being possibly more visible than anywhere in the world (I never noticed any in Argentina to be honest) can you imagine Thailand ever liberalizing their ID card policy to this degree? I think NEVER.

Edited by Jingthing

In some ways this could be a good thing as it gives individuals who want to change their sex legally but not yet physically the chance to do so but still not do anything "irreversible" if they change their mind (as does happen).

On the other hand some aspects are truly frightening and could lead to some real regrets, as it's not only ID cards that can be changed but full GRS on demand as a free legal right. Children under 18 will have the legal right to GRS at any age with the consent of their parents/guardians and, with a judge's consent, parents and guardians can force their child to have GRS against their will.

I also can't help wondering how long it'll be until someone sentenced to a jail term decides that he'd prefer to spend his time being the centre of attention in a women's prison rather than the centre of Bubba's attention in a male prison (and how long their stamina would last).

The options for abuse are endless.

• Like 1

I also can't help wondering how long it'll be until someone sentenced to a jail term decides that he'd prefer to spend his time being the centre of attention in a women's prison rather than the centre of Bubba's attention in a male prison (and how long their stamina would last).

The options for abuse are endless.

Good thinking. Should be some interesting stories coming from Argie-Bargie-transgendered-landia

After decades of dictatorship I can understand why Argentina is embracing these new laws, but I can't help wondering why they are all being passed unopposed (and almost undebated - the gender identity law was debated and passed in 3 hours!).

The "dignified death" law now eliminates judges and doctors from the decision making process entirely, and as long as a patient is declared terminally or incurably ill they or their next-of-kin can refuse any and all surgical procedures and medical help, absolving doctors from any responsibility. If a patient is unable to speak for themselves their next-of-kin have full authority to act on their behalf, without any judicial or medical input or advice - that, to me, opens up a considerable potential for abuse.

Maybe they'd be better off providing some care for the dying (there are only six - 6! - hospices that care for the terminally ill in the entire country of 40 million) and some professional counselling through Gender Identity Clinics for those considering GRS, instead of just legislation.

• 2 weeks later...

In some ways this could be a good thing as it gives individuals who want to change their sex legally but not yet physically the chance to do so but still not do anything "irreversible" if they change their mind (as does happen).

On the other hand some aspects are truly frightening and could lead to some real regrets, as it's not only ID cards that can be changed but full GRS on demand as a free legal right. Children under 18 will have the legal right to GRS at any age with the consent of their parents/guardians and, with a judge's consent, parents and guardians can force their child to have GRS against their will.

I see the merit of grown-ups not having to go through too many loops to change their legal gender.

I don't see how this translates into parents forcing to their children have GRS against the childrens' will.

I have to agree a 55-0 vote for something that would normally be controversial in almost all countries is downright weird. I know Cristina Kirchner is popular, but what's her secret?

Good point.

I see the merit of grown-ups not having to go through too many loops to change their legal gender.

I don't see how this translates into parents forcing to their children have GRS against the childrens' will.

My point is that under the new law in Argentina they don't have to jump through any hoops to not only change their legal gender (ID card) but also to change their physical gender (GRS) - both are "on demand" and the surgery cannot be refused or delayed. The ID card can always be changed back, but GRS is rather more difficult to reverse.

I'm not sure if you're questioning ("don't see") my reading of the new law or questioning its wisdom, but that is what part of the new law stipulates.

... and both this and the Dignified Death law were passed unopposed (but with some abstentions/absences).