Manchester United

redrus

2 minutes ago, jellydog said:

:thumbsup:

Another take on the United mess is that some of their ballyhooed players might not be quite as good as they are supposed to be.

I missed it, where was Sanchez ? Got a knock ?

And yet Sanchez was world class and a talisman for Arsenal.  

1 hour ago, StevieH said:

it's a good point jellydog makes, pogba has lots of attributes but leadership has never really struck you as one. this united side lacks leaders, whereas great united sides of the past always had three or four natural captains in their ranks. it's hard to see who the actual leader of this team is. 'cos it doesn't look like the manager does it?

Exactly this, no leaders out on the pitch, I can see why Mourinio was looking at a commanding center back.

We are Team of individuals right now and I cannot see it improving.

It's going to be a rollercoaster ride this season for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nev said:

Exactly this, no leaders out on the pitch, I can see why Mourinio was looking at a commanding center back.

We are Team of individuals right now and I cannot see it improving.

It's going to be a rollercoaster ride this season for sure.

All down to  thoroughly awful man management.  

• Like 2

I think Mourinho will struggle this season. Top 4 belongs to City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs.

They said on Sky yesterday that United's back 4 is worth 117 million pounds. Well they looked like amateurs to me.

9 hours ago, carmine said:

And yet Sanchez was world class and a talisman for Arsenal.  

Slight injury according to the clubs web site.No that his prescence would have made any difference.Good luck to Brighton after their first round performance.Totally committed,totally focussed and followed the game plan.Probaly the best squad they have ever had.

10 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Slight injury according to the clubs web site.No that his prescence would have made any difference.Good luck to Brighton after their first round performance.Totally committed,totally focussed and followed the game plan.Probaly the best squad they have ever had.

And reading today that some of their big money arrivals haven't been integrated yet.

Yh I just think if there is any sensible Utd fans here then you will be discussing appointments pronto.

The writing is on the wall and this appointment has run its course. You and Mourinho are in no man's land. Mourinho has never done a 4th season anywhere. Utd have already had 3 managers in the last 5 years and  caretakers and a poor attempt at making Giggs an assistant and look how well he has not done since.

Jose is clearly disillusioned with the summer transfer targets and he probably had himself to blame for that too. Players do not want to sign for the guy and that is the most worrying thing for me if I was a Utd fan. Based on last weekends match it looks like some of the squad do not want to play for him either. If he has lost the dressing room you are going to struggle big time. 

I think United need to end his reign and identify a replacement who could probably transform the team by simply playing the football you were known for. Would save a lot of cash too I expect.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Yh I just think if there is any sensible Utd fans here then you will be discussing appointments pronto.

The writing is on the wall and this appointment has run its course. You and Mourinho are in no man's land. Mourinho has never done a 4th season anywhere. Utd have already had 3 managers in the last 5 years and  caretakers and a poor attempt at making Giggs an assistant and look how well he has not done since.

Jose is clearly disillusioned with the summer transfer targets and he probably had himself to blame for that too. Players do not want to sign for the guy and that is the most worrying thing for me if I was a Utd fan. Based on last weekends match it looks like some of the squad do not want to play for him either. If he has lost the dressing room you are going to struggle big time. 

I think United need to end his reign and identify a replacement who could probably transform the team by simply playing the football you were known for. Would save a lot of cash too I expect.

People were calling for Fergie's head five years into the job.

And yes United were big spenders back then.

Edited by RickG16

Manchester might have been an attractive lifetime commitment to a guy from the tenements of Glasgow.

Think a man from the lovely climes of Iberia is gonna stop around into his dotage?

Not an ABU - I want to see a national institution restored to its place as an advert for British football (yes British - not a nationalist for England either!). Along with the Gunners of course

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Manchester might have been an attractive lifetime commitment to a guy from the tenements of Glasgow.

Think a man from the lovely climes of Iberia is gonna stop around into his dotage?

Not an ABU - I want to see a national institution restored to its place as an advert for British football (yes British - not a nationalist for England either!). Along with the Gunners of course

Unfortunately but virtue of any criticism you are deemed jealous and a hater!!  I wouldn't even bother if i were you.

Fact is, Mourinho doesn't do long term jobs, never has and never will.  Woodwood must also be under a bit of pressure now because he's into his third manager in five years with the latest one looking far from in the best of health, with the incumbent lowering expectations before the season has even started off the back of 450m spent and a squad that would be the envy of most managers.  He's improved none of them in the past two seasons playing mostly dull, turgid football much to the disapproval of the United traveling fans, thats the real fans!!  They are not blinkered and see it as it is.

Personally i think United missed the boat somewhat in not appointing someone like Carlo Ancelotti who would have had this group of players playing attacking fluid football, and shown a load more class and big club management skill in dealing with one of the biggest jobs in football.  

18 minutes ago, carmine said:

Unfortunately but virtue of any criticism you are deemed jealous and a hater!!  I wouldn't even bother if i were you.

Fact is, Mourinho doesn't do long term jobs, never has and never will.  Woodwood must also be under a bit of pressure now because he's into his third manager in five years with the latest one looking far from in the best of health, with the incumbent lowering expectations before the season has even started off the back of 450m spent and a squad that would be the envy of most managers.  He's improved none of them in the past two seasons playing mostly dull, turgid football much to the disapproval of the United traveling fans, thats the real fans!!  They are not blinkered and see it as it is.

Personally i think United missed the boat somewhat in not appointing someone like Carlo Ancelotti who would have had this group of players playing attacking fluid football, and shown a load more class and big club management skill in dealing with one of the biggest jobs in football.  

Or Marcelo Bielsa !!:wink:

2 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Or Marcelo Bielsa !!:wink:

Well the football would have been terrific but perhaps El Loco would have scared the hell out of the owners!  He's not really conducive to the supposed stability that was craved after Ferguson's retirement.  Moyes was just a stupid ridiculous choice from the start.  It needed a manager with big club experience that still had relative youth and they got it woefully wrong.  It would be wrong to blame Moyes as he was just hopelessly out of his depth.

6 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Utd have already had 3 managers in the last 5 years and  caretakers and a poor attempt at making Giggs an assistant and look how well he has not done since.

It's funny really. Cos all you got from United fans in here when Fergie was in charge was "stability this and stability that" and taking the pish out of clubs who changed managers regularly. We all said that once SAF left they would be in the same boat but they wouldn't believe us

4 minutes ago, carmine said:

Well the football would have been terrific but perhaps El Loco would have scared the hell out of the owners!  He's not really conducive to the supposed stability that was craved after Ferguson's retirement.  Moyes was just a stupid ridiculous choice from the start.  It needed a manager with big club experience that still had relative youth and they got it woefully wrong.  It would be wrong to blame Moyes as he was just hopelessly out of his depth.

Tongue in check a little about Bielsa. He would have played hyper-attacking football as opposed to Mourinho, but yeah, stability is not his stock in trade !

10 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

It's funny really. Cos all you got from United fans in here when Fergie was in charge was "stability this and stability that" and taking the pish out of clubs who changed managers regularly. We all said that once SAF left they would be in the same boat but they wouldn't believe us

They just bought into the idea that because they had a manager that didn't stop winning things it meant that they were different to so much as being more patient and loyal with their manager when in reality they are no different whatsoever.  Could well be on their fourth manager in five years come next month.  

The United board has given Mourinho great backing up until this last window but maybe the trust is evaporating.  Next two fixtures prior to the international break will be crucial for Mourinho, especially now as the gap in strength and ability between United and City is vast

Edited by carmine
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

But we don't have to be in the same boat. We can give Jose the time he needs. Which is what we are doing.

This is a guy who left his family in London to live in a hotel and manage this club. To me that's more indicative of someone who is dedicated to his job than any newspaper gossip which says otherwise.

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

But we don't have to be in the same boat. We can give Jose the time he needs. Which is what we are doing.

This is a guy who left his family in London to live in a hotel and manage this club. To me that's more indicative of someone who is dedicated to his job than any newspaper gossip which says otherwise.

the time he needs to do what? what revolutionary actions do you see him taking?

11 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

His wife likely told him to get on to Manchester before she strangled the life out of him.:smile:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, StevieH said:

the time he needs to do what? what revolutionary actions do you see him taking?

What revolutionary actions did people see Fergie taking when Mark Robins scraped us into the semis (may have been quarters) of the FA Cup and saved his job? The guy's track record speaks for itself.

Let's get this straight, we were 2nd last year to what everyone recognises as one of the best ever Pl winners. We ain't gonna close the gap overnight.

The season is 2 games old but already sensing the cockiness from Anfield.  I'm keeping very quiet. I can hear the Benitez 'facts' speech ringing in my ears.

17 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Playing Devils advocate here,  but do you  think that the hierarchy might not view this in a good light ? and perhaps see it as indicative to someone who is not staying long term.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alfieconn said:

Playing Devils advocate here,  but do you  think that the hierarchy might not view this in a good light ? and perhaps see it as indicative to someone who is not staying long term.

Possibly.. But I'm sure they have a good understanding about it, and recognize his commitment 

6 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What revolutionary actions did people see Fergie taking when Mark Robins scraped us into the semis (may have been quarters) of the FA Cup and saved his job? The guy's track record speaks for itself.

Let's get this straight, we were 2nd last year to what everyone recognises as one of the best ever Pl winners. We ain't gonna close the gap overnight.

The season is 2 games old but already sensing the cockiness from Anfield.  I'm keeping very quiet. I can hear the Benitez 'facts' speech ringing in my ears.

it was a fair question and has nothing to do with ferguson.

mourinho's tactics are appalling, his sole way of attempting to change a game remains throwing a beanpole on up front, the players are clearly not enjoying playing for him and he doesn't look happy himself. it doesn't seem like a recipe for a long and happy marriage.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RickG16 said:

You have that the wrong way round. Are you saying that is still the case? Looks like Jose's Mrs has him sussed if he could not even get his family to move. How on earth you think that is a good sign is amazing. Could also be the reason he is also looking so glum. That would affect a lot of people.

5 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Gary Neville on the money re. Jose

https://youtu.be/LSu8Vl2JUKw

Both absolutely bang on the money, Woodward and the Glazers are our main problems not José, When we was winning trophy after trophy under the Glazers the Glazers out campaign faded and the leaches was let to happily use United at their will, The vast amounts of money taken out by them and not one cent of their money put back in is coming to roost.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Gary Neville on the money re. Jose

https://youtu.be/LSu8Vl2JUKw

All of that bang on, but you'll notice neither Carragher or Neville brought up Mourinho's habit of losing the dressing room. Probably not the time or place to do so, but if you want a no holds barred conversation about United's current troubles Mou's poor man management skills have to enter the talk eventually.

• Like 2