Manchester United

redrus

Bit of positive news amongst the gloom. Edwin Van der Sars wife is said to be improving and out of danger. While this news is very welcome it doesnt necessarily mean he will be back betwen the posts in the forseeable future as he is still nursing an injury and this culmination of events could see him hanging up his boots. United look very vunerable between the sticks with neither Tomas or Ben Foster looking like a natural replaceemnt for the big man.

There should be some form of financial restriction on how much money buyers of Premiership/English clubs are permited to borrow in order to buy them.

Unfiortunately footy clubs bought in the boom times, for astronomical sums, on the back of massive piles of debt, are now worth nothing like what they were, so offloading them at a profit is no longer a viable exit route for investors, even when they are desperate to sell.

The debt is being managed, 76 0000 people and all the spin offs at every home game is seeing to that. Looking at it from a slightly diferent angle It's Really weird that clubs seem always to suffer from re occurring problems, utd being no exception. utd traditionally seem to stutter after finding it difficult to replace goal keepers who can cope with the pressure the job entails . Looking back as far as Stepney, the next one that was oh so dificult to replace was schmical, scuze the spelling then for all his faults bartez, now it looks like van the man is going to be a hard act to follow, Stutter to follow?. Or has it already started?.

by Ole Gunner as its his old club.

Where is he now? One of my more likeable United players. Don't think i ever saw him make a foul or moan about not getting picked.

Mr Bojangles!!!! likeable???..............Ole Gunnar Solskjaer= LEGEND! :)

And as fouls go......he comitted one of the best i have ever seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBrFlDpQudY...feature=related

I'm a Man City fan Nadta. "likeable" is as big as a compliment any United player will EVER get from me :D

please exept my sincere apologises then !!

i must admit i did not take the liberty to read all the posts....there are a lot :D

Even so being a blue nose did you enjoy the links??? :)

cheers our kid!

Salford red.

You never know with SAF what is going on.

Its pretty obvious that this season we are in poor shape and not capable of an assault on all 4 trophies.

I reckon SAF was suprised to still be in the carling cup at this point, and it wouldnt suprise me if the FA cup was sacrificed to improve the chances of holding on to the league.

After all thats what counts this year.just not got it this time around.

I'm a Man City fan Nadta. "likeable" is as big as a compliment any United player will EVER get from me :D

please exept my sincere apologises then !!

i must admit i did not take the liberty to read all the posts....there are a lot :D

Even so being a blue nose did you enjoy the links??? :)

cheers our kid!

Salford red.

Don't about Mr Bo liking them as probably rubbing his nose a little :D But I for one liked your links Nad so thank you. :D

BT :D

You never know with SAF what is going on.

Its pretty obvious that this season we are in poor shape and not capable of an assault on all 4 trophies.

I reckon SAF was suprised to still be in the carling cup at this point, and it wouldnt suprise me if the FA cup was sacrificed to improve the chances of holding on to the league.

After all thats what counts this year.just not got it this time around.

Judging by the reaction of Fergie and Mike Phelan after the match and the comments of some players I doubt whether the match against Leeds was sacrificed more that Leeds took the opportunity as presented by a lethargic performance from United . If United dont get their act together ASAP they could well finish up with nothing to put in the cabinet

Where is he now? One of my more likeable United players. Don't think i ever saw him make a foul or moan about not getting picked.

That was outrageous and hilarious at the same time. No wonder they called him the Baby Faced Assassin.

That was outrageous and hilarious at the same time. No wonder they called him the Baby Faced Assassin.

Link doesnt work

The debt is being managed, 76 0000 people and all the spin offs at every home game is seeing to that. Looking at it from a slightly diferent angle It's Really weird that clubs seem always to suffer from re occurring problems, utd being no exception. utd traditionally seem to stutter after finding it difficult to replace goal keepers who can cope with the pressure the job entails . Looking back as far as Stepney, the next one that was oh so dificult to replace was schmical, scuze the spelling then for all his faults bartez, now it looks like van the man is going to be a hard act to follow, Stutter to follow?. Or has it already started?.

It might seem like a strange comparison but think of Uniteds financial situation like buying a Mc Donalds franchise .You pay a forune for one but every day the doors open and people flock in and spend money ,its called cash flow. With a guaranted 76 ,000 people attending home games and all the associated spin offs .While United can stay near the top of the heap they are probably ok . Should they waver however and not keep players coming in and start to slide they run the risk of losing that aura and income. Surely the Glaziers are are aware of this and thats why they have ,to this stage , let Gill and Ferguson have their way to a certain extent. Yes they do need a top class keeper as even if Van der Sar returns it will be for one more season only.If Ferguson doesnt recruit in the summer I think we should really be worried but knee jerk reaction in the transfer window ,and buying players like Viera, is not the solution.

The Independent newspaper U.K.

Giggs to get freedom of city

By Pat Hurst, PA

Thursday, 7 January 2010

Manchester United star Ryan Giggs will be honoured with the freedom of the city of Salford today.

The winger, who is the current PFA Player of the Year and BBC Sports Personality of the Year, will receive the honour at a ceremony in his adopted home town this afternoon.

Giggs, 36, will join an illustrious list of previous recipients, including Nelson Mandela, LS Lowry and fellow Welshman David Lloyd George.

Although born in Cardiff and starring many times for Wales, Giggs has for many years lived in the Worsley area of Salford after signing for United as a schoolboy.

Giggs switched to the club while training with Manchester City after a personal visit to his home by Sir Alex Ferguson on his 14th birthday.

He has now played more times for the club and won more honours than any other player in United's illustrious history.

He is also the only player to have scored in every Premier League season after debuting against Everton in March 1991.

A formal presentation of the award will take place as part of a civic ceremony at The Lowry arts centre on Salford Quays.

Councillor John Warmisham said it was "a privilege and a pleasure" to nominate Giggs.

"Ryan is a role model to young people and a proud ambassador of the city," Mr Warmisham said.

"He is the ideal candidate for freedom of the city.

"He does tremendous work for Unicef in relation to children and other charities and has never forgotten his Salford roots."

Mayor of Salford Councillor Roger Lightup added: "I'm delighted we are able to honour one of our residents in this way.

"The freedom of the city recognises people who have made an exceptional contribution to our community and Ryan has certainly done this over a number of years."

Citizens made freemen gain no real privileges today but they do receive a scroll to mark their status and the pride the city has in them.

The medieval term "freeman" meant someone who was not the property of a feudal lord, but enjoyed privileges such as the right to earn money and own land.

Unquote

Ref url :- http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/footbal...ty-1860629.html

I,m not sure if this has been posted somewhere else but, just in case, I think it is worthy of another post anyway.

Well done and yes he is worthy of such an honour to go with the ones he already has.

Football fans everywhere will welcome it, I feel sure.

Well true football lovers and supporters anyway.

A really nice, humble lad and so down to earth.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

just like to add a big thank you to birmingham for getting the game played,after wednesdays game called off i was dreading another.

Also good the arsenal game still on gives us two enjoyable games to view,well i hope they are enjoyable.

It was the refs fault. :)

Well they got the statutory 'Fergie Time'. :D Another 6 minutes!!!

I do not sit watching football with a stop watch, so I do not know if it is accurate or not. What I do know is that I watch a huge amount of football, and I have yet to see injury time played in excess of 5 minutes, EXCEPT where Utd are concerned. They seem to get a number of games with generous amounts of injury time given, the last 2 games as an example.

There was even a game earlier in the season where they were given another 6 minutes, which the ref decided was not enough, and so were given an extra couple of minutes to allow them to score. :D

Red Nose has a reputation of giving the refs a hard time with injury time. I think the refs are sh!t scared of him.

But I agree with a previous poster, Utd are poor this year and will probably win nowt :D

Only 1 decent defender (Evra) Never replaced Ronaldo. No support for Rooney. Too many old legs.. DOOMED!!!!

It was the refs fault. :)

Well they got the statutory 'Fergie Time'. :D Another 6 minutes!!!

I do not sit watching football with a stop watch, so I do not know if it is accurate or not. What I do know is that I watch a huge amount of football, and I have yet to see injury time played in excess of 5 minutes, EXCEPT where Utd are concerned. They seem to get a number of games with generous amounts of injury time given, the last 2 games as an example.

There was even a game earlier in the season where they were given another 6 minutes, which the ref decided was not enough, and so were given an extra couple of minutes to allow them to score. :D

Red Nose has a reputation of giving the refs a hard time with injury time. I think the refs are sh!t scared of him.

But I agree with a previous poster, Utd are poor this year and will probably win nowt :D

Only 1 decent defender (Evra) Never replaced Ronaldo. No support for Rooney. Too many old legs.. DOOMED!!!!

there was a report done on added/injury time about six months ago and it showed that when they are winning matches, united get the same amount of time added as every other club. but when they are not winning, they get far more. in short, the league is bent.

Just opened the thread and we have a obsessed city fan and a obsessed scouser bleating about the added time,what did united do with the 6 minutes,nowt! in fact they looked more like scoring than us,they should have gone for the win we was down to 10 men and we never looked like scoring.

STEVIE show us a link to the stats to back up that the league is bent please.

As for the game we was average there for the taking,and we are lacking confidence,also we should have played 2 up front rooney needs support.

All is not lost we can still turn our season around.

in short, the league is bent.

In short. Yep :)

Just opened the thread and we have a obsessed city fan and a obsessed scouser bleating about the added time,

If you consider stating facts to being "obsessed", we might as well shut the footie forum down. Come on nev, even the redist of reds have got to admit that every man and his dog is aware of the term "Fergie time" and there is usually no smoke without fire. :D

Just opened the thread and we have a obsessed city fan and a obsessed scouser bleating about the added time,

If you consider stating facts to being "obsessed", we might as well shut the footie forum down. Come on nev, even the redist of reds have got to admit that every man and his dog is aware of the term "Fergie time" and there is usually no smoke without fire. :D

Sorry absolute nonsense .You are saying that the referees ,all over the country,are cheating to aid United. Because thats what you are accusing them of. The extra time did not benefit United in fact the opposite as they were down to 10 men and hanging on. Its the tabloids and other club fans who are following like sheep on the "Fergie time" rant. It was a great game,full of hard and committed tackling ,on a dodgy pitch, and a Birmingham side hard to break down. You are not stating facts just hearsay and media hype. If you have access to hard evidence reveal it Im sure we would all be interested and so would the FA.

Sorry absolute nonsense .You are saying that the referees ,all over the country,are cheating to aid United. Because thats what you are accusing them of. The extra time did not benefit United in fact the opposite as they were down to 10 men and hanging on. Its the tabloids and other club fans who are following like sheep on the "Fergie time" rant. It was a great game,full of hard and committed tackling ,on a dodgy pitch, and a Birmingham side hard to break down. You are not stating facts just hearsay and media hype. If you have access to hard evidence reveal it Im sure we would all be interested and so would the FA.

Spot on mate!

ABU sheep at it's best.

As for the artical stevie is refering too,i think it was in the gaurdian and contradicted itself all over the artical.

It also stated united get less time added on at home than arsenal chelsea and liveropool,but they over looked that,rather to focus on united getting more time when chasing the game,yes this was true in like 13 games in front like 200sec and the 4 or 5 games behind we got like 45 seconds more,now big deal we all know team's when they are behind at united try to run the clock down,so 45 seconds more is not a big deal.

As i have stated before both teams have to play the extra minutes and birmingham was looking like the team to win in my eyes.

In short. Yep :D

Show me the fact's that the league is bent then :D

Very big statement to make seeing most of us reds see it the other way round. :)

StevieH post about the report:-

there was a report done on added/injury time about six months ago and it showed that when they are winning matches, united get the same amount of time added as every other club. but when they are not winning, they get far more. in short, the league is bent.
Very big statement to make seeing most of us reds see it the other way round. :)

I do not honestly know, how you could possibly see it the other way around. Take your Red goggles off for once will ya :D

StevieH post about the report:-

I do not honestly know, how you could possibly see it the other way around. Take your Red goggles off for once will ya :D

So about 6 months ago there was a report done and united get more so the league is bent :D

Did they do this report on every team or just united to twist the facts to prove united cheat. :D

Was this report done independant or on a liverpool fanzine site by one of there loyal norway reds. :D

You must try harder or maybe all the abu teams get together and ban united and give another team a chance of winning as we have not deserved to win one single title if you believe the scouse media :D

:)