Manchester United

redrus

Who has the highest ratio of completed passes in the premiership. Scholes.

Source?

One of the more reputable football web sites I occasionally log onto ,if I can find it will forward it to you, why do you think I am making it up? Look at Uniteds possession in most games and who sits in front of the back four spraying it around.

Yes, without numbers to back it up "I read it on a website" ranks just below "I read it in some book" and just above "My mate down the pub said..."

Source?

One of the more reputable football web sites I occasionally log onto ,if I can find it will forward it to you, why do you think I am making it up? Look at Uniteds possession in most games and who sits in front of the back four spraying it around.

Yes, without numbers to back it up "I read it on a website" ranks just below "I read it in some book" and just above "My mate down the pub said..."

Well Dave if you can remember, every single source, for every single snippet of information ,you glean over your lifetime good luck to you !

For many of us Scholes is a magnificent footballer and probably one of the best passers of a ball football has ever seen. Thats how he will be remebered when he shortly hangs up the boots.

Source?

Dave, the way it works is we make <deleted> up when we are engaged in banter with the knobs who support other clubs, we don't when we are chatting amongst fellow supporters.

If Sparky says he has read a stat somewhere, i think you should take him at his word. I do.

Come to think of it, it's a stat i vaguely recall reading somewhere too.

Great game last night, i'm glad i set the alarm for 3am and watched. If we can play like that for the rest of the season we're surely in with a good chance at the title again, and be for fighting for a treble.

Well Dave if you can remember, every single source, for every single snippet of information ,you glean over your lifetime good luck to you !

For many of us Scholes is a magnificent footballer and probably one of the best passers of a ball football has ever seen. Thats how he will be remebered when he shortly hangs up the boots.

Yes it's true that he's a great footballer, but he often plays a long crossfield pass, which is often with pinpoint accuracy, but passes like that are bound to go astray more than a short 5 yard pass.

So i would be surprised that a more conservative midfielder (who plays mostly just short passes) would not have a higher "pass completion ratio".

Or would think that a center back would have a higher ratio seeing as they are often just picking up the ball and passing it simply forward to the midfield.

I googled Scholes last night in the hour leading up to the game trying ,without luck to find the quote re his completed passes stat. Couldnt find it and have in the back of my mind it was brought up in a interview with Martin Tyler a student of the game as well as a great game caller and then reported But if you needed to see Scholes at his best look no further than last night. The ball invariably goes through him,why ? because he is acknowledged as probably the best passer of a ball in English football and last night was without doubt his best performance of the season and a goal on top. Enjoy it while we can

I googled Scholes last night in the hour leading up to the game trying ,without luck to find the quote re his completed passes stat. Couldnt find it and have in the back of my mind it was brought up in a interview with Martin Tyler a student of the game as well as a great game caller and then reported But if you needed to see Scholes at his best look no further than last night. The ball invariably goes through him,why ? because he is acknowledged as probably the best passer of a ball in English football and last night was without doubt his best performance of the season and a goal on top. Enjoy it while we can

I found this gem from the Guardian Website in May 2008..http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/may/14/premierleague3

Not sure if they have a career stat somewhere in there.

Total passes and passing accuracy

Fabregas 2318 81.06%

Clichy 1975 83.19%

Flamini 1710 86.55%

Gerrard 1652 77.66%

Butt 1630 75.03%

Scholes 1592 89.70%

Carrick 1585 83.22%

Hleb 1552 82.73%

Ferdinand 1546 84.80%

Neville 1533 72.47%

Paul Scholes last 3 seasons from the Telegraph:- http://footballstats.telegraph.co.uk/Playe...pe=career#stats

....................2009/10 2008/09 2007/08

Goals ...............1........... 2.......... 1

Saves ...............0.......... 0........... 0

Penalty saves .....0..........0........... 0

Goal assist ........2.......... 2........... 4

Clean sheet .......4.......... 5.......... 12

Red card ...........1.......... 1.......... 0

Yellow card.........6...........3...........3

Fouls Conceded..20.........27.........31

Fouls won .........12..........7..........17

Tackles lost .......7..........18..........19

Tackles won ......27.........25..........38

Shot on target....4...........8...........5

Total shot .........18..........21.........21

Appearances.......15..........21.........24

Att. created........14..........13.........32

Total Passes.......921.......1117......1592

Acc. Passes........836.......1013......1426

Minutes played...1055......1263......1842

Paul Scholes last 3 seasons from the Telegraph:- http://footballstats.telegraph.co.uk/Playe...pe=career#stats

....................2009/10 2008/09 2007/08

Goals ...............1........... 2.......... 1

Saves ...............0.......... 0........... 0

Penalty saves .....0..........0........... 0

Goal assist ........2.......... 2........... 4

Clean sheet .......4.......... 5.......... 12

Red card ...........1.......... 1.......... 0

Yellow card.........6...........3...........3

Fouls Conceded..20.........27.........31

Fouls won .........12..........7..........17

Tackles lost .......7..........18..........19

Tackles won ......27.........25..........38

Shot on target....4...........8...........5

Total shot .........18..........21.........21

Appearances.......15..........21.........24

Att. created........14..........13.........32

Total Passes.......921.......1117......1592

Acc. Passes........836.......1013......1426

Minutes played...1055......1263......1842

Those stats are wrong Mr Bj, I know for a fact last year against Fulham away he saved one goal with his hand. :)

Great stats site (definitely bookmarked).

It appears i stand corrected, as Scholes ratio does not appear to have dropped off over the past 3 seasons (still around the 90% pass completion).

I have not been able to find a player who has a higher ratio than his current 90.7% this season (although Michael Owen is pretty close at 90.1%)

I wish their stats system would allow you to compare whole teams or the league at once.

Great stats site (definitely bookmarked).

It appears i stand corrected, as Scholes ratio does not appear to have dropped off over the past 3 seasons (still around the 90% pass completion).

I have not been able to find a player who has a higher ratio than his current 90.7% this season (although Michael Owen is pretty close at 90.1%)

I wish their stats system would allow you to compare whole teams or the league at once.

The problem with stats like these (as has been pointed out before) is if you compare Carrick who passes 90% of the time backwards to the back 4 and Scholes who is always going forward it's not a fair comparison.

Now the excitement has died down just a little what do United take out of the 2 legs, for me.

1. Raphael showed a lot of maturity for one so young to bounce back from the first leg and keep Bellamy in check. The kids got a big heart and a load of talent and no where near his peak. Full marks to Ferguson for playing him ,he could have easily played Neville or Brown. I rate Bellamy far more dangerous than Tevez despite the goals.

2. Has the old Nani exited from his body to be replaced by a cloned version ? hardly put a foot wrong,has stopped rolling around looking for free kicks and spraying the ball anywhere and has provided some flair that we miss from Ronaldo 9/10 if he can only play like that on the left,and improv ehis corners, we have 2 wingers not one.

3. Fletcher has matured into a superman .Was all over the shop last night harassing , in the box ,and tracking back and to think he nearly moved on 2 years ago.

4 Scholes and Giggs. How many comments do we hear even on this forum ,too old ,past it ,put out to pasture . Amazingly they played 90 minutes in a pretty frenetic game and were still full of running at the end. Scholes was like a man on a mission ,perhaps riled in his own quiet way by all the criticism he has attracted of late.

5 .Cant close with out mentioning Van de Sar ,knocking on 40 and still magnificent and for his actions settling the Bellamy incident we should give him full marks. Rooney is not going anywhere, will be a United legend, if he isnt already,fitting he scored the winning goal . Onto Arsenal with renewed hope.

Chris Smalling the Fullham youngster joining United player is now confirmed but not before a last minute bidding war with Asrsenal. The final price is reported to be 12 million quid. As the young fellow was purchased by Fullham from Maidstone 2 years ago for 10,000 quid it shows how ridiculous the transfer market is. Ferguson must really rate him and it seems to me he is bringing in cover for Vidic and possibly Ferdinand should they go. With only a couple of EPL games under his belt lets hope he justifies Fergies faith in him. Jonnie Evans seems from the other night to have the maturity to be a centre back regular I thought he had a good game.

On the subject of Nani and his woeful corners, couldn't understand why Giggs wasn't taking them last night, if not from the get-go, at least after Nani had taken the first handful that didn't even get passed the first man.

Yes strange one that .Raphael is another option as his lack of height height makes him reduntant in the box and his crosses from the flanks have been excellent. With the new light balls getting the ball up and over the first defender should be relatively simple at this level.

On the subject of Nani and his woeful corners, couldn't understand why Giggs wasn't taking them last night, if not from the get-go, at least after Nani had taken the first handful that didn't even get passed the first man.

Yes strange one that .Raphael is another option as his lack of height height makes him reduntant in the box and his crosses from the flanks have been excellent. With the new light balls getting the ball up and over the first defender should be relatively simple at this level.

The problem is both Nani and Valencia are used to putting low crosses in the box within reach of those vertically challenged strikers such a WR and MO. :) Old habits die hard.

The problem is both Nani and Valencia are used to putting low crosses in the box within reach of those vertically challenged strikers such a WR and MO.

Vertically challenged?

LOL

Spoken like a true short-arse. :)

For the record I am taller than Nani, Rooney, Scholes, Owen, Anderson, Giggs, Tosic (who isnt?) and most of the Man City team. :D

The problem is both Nani and Valencia are used to putting low crosses in the box within reach of those vertically challenged strikers such a WR and MO.

Vertically challenged?

LOL

Spoken like a true short-arse. :)

For the record I am taller than Nani, Rooney, Scholes, Owen, Anderson, Giggs, Tosic (who isnt?) and most of the Man City team. :D

Who could possibly doubt you, If you stand up straight and include your "head" :D your taller than all of us mortals.

BT :D

Vertically challenged?

LOL

Spoken like a true short-arse. :D

Who could possibly doubt you, If you stand up straight and include your "head" :D your taller than all of us mortals.

Fat is different than tall BT, put your glasses on and your weeee dram down mate :)

Fat is different than tall BT, put your glasses on and your weeee dram down mate :)

Was it a fat joke? Funny that. I read it as an early-man, planet of the apes type of joke. Either way, i'm sure it was insulting. :D

Back to UTD, I see Rio got 4 matches for taking a swing a Fagan. I don't anyone on here wishes he knocked him out - would have been worth it.

As expected . Ferdinand behaved like a goose and why should the club not withold his wages for that period,not that its going to happen. With games aginst Arsenal and Everton coming up all hans are neede ,at least Vidic will be available.

Ferdinand behaved like a goose and why should the club not withold his wages for that period,not that its going to happen.

Good point about his wages. I vote no pay plus an extra week's wages deducted for every goal we ship during his absence - hopefully that's none of course!

Lloris is quality and i would definitely happy to have him coming in as VDS future replacement. Foster in my opinion has proven his crapness and surely should be shown the door. Kuszacz has proven he is good, but i'm just not sure he's "#1 keeper at the best club in the world" good.

I'm not sure shipping Anderson off is the best idea. He's a good squad player to have as a backup, even if he's not getting into the first team. But if he's constantly complaining that he's not in the first team then i guess it's the only option.

Lloris is quality and i would definitely happy to have him coming in as VDS future replacement. Foster in my opinion has proven his crapness and surely should be shown the door. Kuszacz has proven he is good, but i'm just not sure he's "#1 keeper at the best club in the world" good.

I'm not sure shipping Anderson off is the best idea. He's a good squad player to have as a backup, even if he's not getting into the first team. But if he's constantly complaining that he's not in the first team then i guess it's the only option.

Agree, his experient at UTD has done nothing but show how poor the Portuget league is if he was a regular scorer there.

You hear how bad things are at Utd financially but i didn't realise they were this bad :

As reported on talksport today.

Ex players (Stepney, Whiteside etc) working at Old trafford on a match day are not given a ticket for the game and have to watch the game on tv in the players lounge, but they are given a packed lunch :) .

Edited by alfieconn

Anderson reportedly slipped home to Brazil without the clubs permission. Constantly complains about being on the bench ,as discussed with AF before,but doesnt seem to understand that he is not as good as Carrick, Fletcher , Scholes. Has scored only one goal the whole time he has been at OT and is overweight. Had his chances ,there were great hopes for him ,cost the club a lot of money and time to maybe move on.

You hear how bad things are at Utd financially but i didn't realise they were this bad :

As reported on talksport today.

Ex players (Stepney, Whiteside etc) working at Old trafford on a match day are not given a ticket for the game and have to watch the game on tv in the players lounge, but they are given a packed lunch :) .

Well they just paid 12 million quid for Chris Smalling (after Arsenal pushed up, the price by conducting a bidding war )from Fullham ,Smalling cost 10,000 quid from Maisdstone as an 18 yr old 2 years ago, so its not all gloom and doom. There are lot of ex players at OT every week ,do they pay ,who knows ? media speculation ?? Dont forget United are a popular whipping boy at present. the media are in a feeding fenzy next week it will be someone else.