Manchester United

redrus

Just reading some news about Poppies on the kits for this weekend and how LP and us are being painted as unpatriotic for not having a popping embrodered on our kits for the upcoming games.

I don't understand the fuss quite frankly. Perhaps some of you old timers can help me on this. Is this a 2009 issue or has it been raised in the past? Isn't it enough now to just have the minute of silence? It seemed to be ok in the past.

Anyways, I suspect both LP and us will be wearing red tops this weekend and even if they embrodered a poppy on there, you wouldn't see it.

P!ss poor excuse IMHO.

West Brom have red shirts and they will wear the poppy.

Remembrance Day is a day to honour our fallen heroes who died fighting so that you and I have our freedom.

As the years pass, and WW2 is forgotten by many, there are many 'old timers' who want to make sure that these brave men are NOT forgotten, hence the wearing of the poppy.

I find it disgraceful that United, Liverpool and Bolton refuse to wear the poppy as a sign of respect

and if the individual players want to honour those who fought and died in the war then that's their choice to do so privately. don't see what benefit forcing the issue on footballers achieves at all. nobody is forcing postmen to wear poppies or priests or lollipop ladies. it's a personal choice thing.

Just reading some news about Poppies on the kits for this weekend and how LP and us are being painted as unpatriotic for not having a popping embrodered on our kits for the upcoming games.

I don't understand the fuss quite frankly. Perhaps some of you old timers can help me on this. Is this a 2009 issue or has it been raised in the past? Isn't it enough now to just have the minute of silence? It seemed to be ok in the past.

Anyways, I suspect both LP and us will be wearing red tops this weekend and even if they embrodered a poppy on there, you wouldn't see it.

P!ss poor excuse IMHO.

West Brom have red shirts and they will wear the poppy.

Remembrance Day is a day to honour our fallen heroes who died fighting so that you and I have our freedom.

As the years pass, and WW2 is forgotten by many, there are many 'old timers' who want to make sure that these brave men are NOT forgotten, hence the wearing of the poppy.

I find it disgraceful that United, Liverpool and Bolton refuse to wear the poppy as a sign of respect

Not unsurprising comment there JD. Thankfully a lot of people dont feel the same as you. Here is a comment from someone debating this on the MEN website...

I'm from a military family and contribute every Remembrance Sunday, thats the time I offer my private thought's on the war-dead. I don't want/or need my club to be frog-marched into wearing poppies on their shirts and cow-towed into submission by the poppy police and then glibly say ''Look at us, WE'RE REMEMBERING''.

Of course, I was expecting an odd City fan or 2, to come on our site and say, 'Look, typical Utd disrespecting our Glorious war-dead' - that is just plain nonsense, sad, unwarranted point-scoring and quite frankly, pathetic. And if the roles were reversed, some idiot Utd fan would probably post a similar comment.

I will wear a poppy and remember my family members who died (2 in the great war, 1 in WWII and 1 in Ireland) and will not bat an eyelid, or scream traitor; should a newsreader, a bus-driver, a footballer, a binman, a politician, or even if my grown-up children not be wearing a poppy on Sunday morning - that, after all is what they helped defend, our democracy and freedom of choice.

:):D

James, your previous post, you asked a question. I answered.

Your next post proves you were just trolling!!

Maybe you dont feel the day is worth remembering and honouring.

I do.

Edited by JacknDanny

Not sure I appreciate this line in here, I think it deserves its own thread to be honest.

People can have their opinions and United have made their position clear. Old Trafford was bombed in that war. We should (of course) appreciate the lives and efforts of of those who fought and, those who fought and died. Maybe a lot of those that will remember in their own way will do at their appropriate time, maybe a lot of those people use football as an excuse to forget too.....!

redrus

BOSS TARGETS BRIDGE IMPROVEMENTS

redview, official site.

Sir Alex Ferguson wants to see a return to the days when he enjoyed trips to Stamford Bridge and United prospered with an excellent record.

The last 10 fixtures against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge bear a stark contrast with the 10 that came before them. In the last 10, United have won only once, drawn four and lost five. Before it, the stats read: won five, drew three, lost two. Those figures are undoubtedly skewed by Chelsea’s rise to prominence as title contenders, but still, the boss naturally prefers the earlier statistics.

“We would like to improve our record there,” said Sir Alex. “It’s not been that great in the last few years. We’ve had a couple of draws but nothing more than that. We hope to improve on that. It’s strange, we used to have a terrific record at Stamford Bridge, but in the last few years we’ve let it slip. We have to get our act together. But the players realise it’s a big game and their performance is going to be important.”

Even at this early stage, the game will be discussed as potentially decisive in the title race. Sir Alex doesn’t think it’s as cut and dried as that, but there is a marked difference between going top or being five points behind Chelsea on Sunday night.

“It doesn’t come into my thinking that it's a league decider,” said Sir Alex. “But it could be an important game. Towards the end of the season, you might think, ’I’m glad we got a result at Chelsea’. But it’s difficult to pinpoint the importance of Sunday in relation to where we’ll be in May.”

redrus

On the Black 'V' it would show up :)

Have one from me then:-

post-3770-1257593888_thumb.png

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

Yours truly,

Always the peace maker me ol mate.... :D

redrus

Yours truly,

Always the peace maker me ol mate.... :D

redrus

ONE YEAR AGO

Yesterday, on Remembrance Sunday, The nation acknowledged the ultimate sacrifice made by Britain s war dead at the annual Remembrance Sunday ceremony. The Monarch joined senior royals, Prime Minister Gordon Brown and other political leaders in laying wreaths at the Cenotaph Memorial in Whitehall , central London . The solemn gesture took place in front of thousands of veterans who also gathered to pay their respects at this years events, which will culminate in the 90th anniversary of the end of the First World War on November 11th. A parade of serviceman and veterans followed (pictured above).

It should also be reported that at sporting events across the UK throughout the weekend, respectful and dignified minutes silences were observed to honour our service personnel. In every sporting arena save one. To their eternal shame, the officials of Glasgow Celtic Football Club bowed to a small minority of bigotted followers of extreme Irish republicanism within the ranks of their supporters and held a minutes applause instead of a minutes silence before their home Scottish Premier League soccer match against Motherwell at Celtic Park , Glasgow on Saturday. The rationale behind this craven surrender to mindless bigotry was reportedly that a minutes applause would drown out the noise of any dissent from deluded individuals who apparently perceive showing respect for the dead of 2 world wars and current conflicts as anti-Roman Catholic and/or anti-IRA. That Celtic Football Club, who have lost many players and countless supporters in the service of the British armed forces over the years, should give in to such bigoted nonsense is an indelible stain on the clubs good name and a disgraceful insult to the whole of Scotland . And the next time these same blinkered morons, so quick to portray themselves as victims and targets for sectarianism, call for a minutes silence at a Celtic football match for a dead Pope, they will have no cause for complaint if many in the crowd decide instead to show their respect by applauding the demise of a former German anti-aircraft gunner.

2009FURY ERUPTS AS FALKIRK FANS DEMAND SILENCE

Thursday October 15,2009

By Andy McInnes

A FURIOUS row is brewing over how Falkirk and Celtic fans will be asked to show their respects at the Remembrance Day fixture on Sunday November 8.

Angry Bairns fans last night aired their fears on sports websites that a two minute applause rather than silence will be ordered by either the club or SPL officials before the game which will be shown live by ESPN kicks off.

One supporter posted a message saying he was " totally disgusted " at the thought of applauding and warned that such a move would make a farce of the day and would bring " bad publicity" for Scottish football as the match was being screened throughout the country.

While another called himself Bairn4life said " we should not give in to them ( Celtic) as it is supposed to be a time of reflection not joy " Another opposition fan declared : " It would be ridiculous if my club was to change things to suit a minority"

But last night Falkirk's Operations manager Keith Hogg insisted no decison had yet been taken on the issue and that they would be seeking guidance from the SPL .

" We haven't started our planning for the Celtic match yet." he added " In the past we have had applause to commemorate an individual as after the death of former player Paul McGrillen and we've also held a period of silence on other occasions when we felt that was the most appropriate action.

" We will be speaking to the SPL and seeking their guidance over the next couple of days before any decision is taken "

Last night SPL spokesman Greg Mailer revealed the issue would be raised today at a Board Meeting.

" As last year was the 90th anniversary of Armistace Day we teamed up with Poppy Scotland and asked clubs to do something special. But before that we did not dictate what anyone should do allowing individual clubs the choice between silence and applause.

1. Celtic FC is the only senior club in British football that refuses to fly the Union flag over their stadium!

2. Celtic FC does NOT allow British service personnel to wear their uniforms within their stadium!

3. Last night you had the managers of Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea & Hearts (None of whom come from these shores!) all wearing poppies to remember the dead and injured.and what about the ENGLISH manager of Celtic???? To HIS shame he DID NOT show the same respect!!!

4. We talk about this privately and yet you read and hear very little in the national press or media. This is because if you speak out you are branded a bigot, who REALLY are the bigots?

5. They have a much more active PR machine than we do, if we sing a word out of place then UEFA, the Irish Government, the BBC and the rest of the media are involvedmaking it front page headlines!

6. It is time that Celtic FC are named and shamed we need action..lets hear you voices. Please, spread the word.

Ooooh well boys never mind, a 5 point lead isn't really that much! haha :)

Chelsea 1 - 0 Manchester United

A John Terry header proved the difference as Chelsea beat Manchester United to move clear at the top of the Premier League.

United set out with a gameplan to frustrate Chelsea's midfield diamond and exploit the space in wide areas, and for much of a game which contained few clear-cut chances, it worked.

Antonio Valencia had a shout for a penalty after a tussle with John Terry turned down, while Nicolas Anelka's curling shot at the opposite end forced a smart one-handed stop out of Edwin van der Sar.

The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Chelsea keeper Petr Cech seriously tested for the first time in the 68th minute when Wayne Rooney's arcing effort from 25 yards was pushed away for a corner.

But Chelsea made the breakthrough 14 minutes from time when Frank Lampard fired in a disputed free-kick and Terry rose well to guide his header inside the far post, with United appealing for an infringement by Didier Drogba, who flicked a foot out towards the ball, but the goal stood.

The Blues held on to make it a club record of 11 straight home wins and move five points ahead of the Red Devils and Arsenal at the top, but Arsene Wenger's side have a game in hand.

It was the home side who created the first goal attempt when Branislav Ivanovic burst down the right flank and let fly with a left-foot shot which Van der Sar did well to hold at the near post.

United, though, were far more comfortable on the ball with the home side given little time to build from the back.

But a long cross from Michael Ballack in the 18th minute found the lurking Drogba on the edge of the six-yard box but the Ivory Coast striker failed to direct his header on to the target.

United, despite their dominance, had not created a clear cut chance.

In the 23rd minute, Chelsea won a free-kick but Lampard wasted the chance to test the United defence when he sent his curling effort beyond the far post.

Drogba was fouled by Wes Brown in the 27th minute in a central position 25 yards from goal.

It was another chance for the home side but again Lampard's free-kick was poor as he sent his effort straight into United's defensive wall.

Moments later Nicolas Anelka tried to beat Van der Sar from 35 yards but the United keeper dealt with it most comfortably.

Van der Sar was tested again when he made a one-handed save to keep out a curling shot from Anelka in the 32nd minute.

A quick counter attack from Chelsea saw Anelka put Deco free on the right flank but his cross eluded Ballack before arriving at the feet of Drogba.

The Ivory Coast striker was unable to control the ball and it ran harmlessly into the arms of Van der Sar.

Drogba then broke into the penalty from the right flank but his angled drive ended in the upper tier of the stand as referee Martin Atkinson brought proceedings to a finish for the opening period.

In the 50th minute, Drogba got the better of United's John O'Shea but his 25-yard shot went wide of the target.

Ivanovic was booked for a foul on Giggs in the 57th minute as the game began to open-up.

Ricardo Carvalho managed to get his body in the way of a fierce shot from Darren Fletcher moments later in a fine piece of defending by the Chelsea man.

A cross from Anelka then fell kindly to Lampard on the edge of the penalty area but the England midfielder's shot was easily saved by Van der Sar.

As the game wore on it meant Chelsea had gone over 14 hours since they last conceded a goal at Stamford Bridge.

It was time for the home side to make a change and Carlo Ancelotti opted to remove Deco in favour of Joe Cole, who was celebrating his 28th birthday.

Rooney should have punished Chelsea in the 66th minute when he took a return pass from Valencia on the edge of the penalty area but the England striker sent his shot a foot wide of the far post.

Seconds later Rooney brought a fine save from Petr Cech with a 20-yard curler which was destined for the top corner until the Czech international intervened.

There was a worrying moment for Chelsea in the 71st minute when Drogba was kicked in the chest by Jonny Evans but it was the Ivorian who was then booked by Atkinson.

But the Blues were in front in the 76th minute when Ashley Cole was fouled by Fletcher on the left flank.

Captain Terry rose to glance Lampard's free-kick into the corner of the net but United were furious that Drogba appeared to be in an offside position as the ball bounced beyond Van der Sar and into the net.

Rooney was booked afterwards and then Atkinson booked O'Shea and Carvalho in the 82nd minute as tempers flared.

Valencia was lucky remain on the pitch with a two-footed challenge on Lampard but Atkinson handed him a yellow card as the Blues held on to claim a vital victory.

Good game to watch, but we aren't taking our chances. Thought we played very well overall.

Officiating both ways was depressing - again. Rooney off-side in the first 10 mins, don't think so. Allowing Chelsea to play on with Terry holding his balls on the ground, then blowing it when we take possession, what can you say. Drogba's yellow card? Fletcher's mystery foul on Cole - to even it up, no call as Sir Didier trips Brown in the box, hand-ball by Lampard from O'Shea's cross towards the box in extra time - if it was Scholes, would have been a yellow or red.

I thought a nil all draw would have been a fair result after closely fought game, it was always going to to whoever snuck the first goal in.

Lots of positives to take out of the game, Anderson, Fletcher and Rooney all worked their socks off to good effect, Valencia too is shaping up to become a valued member with he squad. and Obertan shows real promise. Just wish we had the pairing of Vidic & Ferdinand from last season. :) .

I thought United were going to be outclassed by Chelsea and could see them going down 2 or 3 nil. As it happened united played very well and i wasn't that impressed with Chelsea. They had their full team on display and United were missing some key players. The game could have gone either way.

Chelsea will f*@k up and drop points at some point.

United need to get Vidic, Ferdinad and Berbatov back and on form. There's still a long way to go before the end of the season and United traditionaly finish well..............

evans' karate kick on drogba?

Yep, should have been a card (red) but must admit when I saw it live I didn't see the kick, just Evans and Drogs going up to head the ball and then the kick afterward.

drogba's reaction was ace. like he was being fuc_king electrocuted. the massive jessie.

Yep, should have been a card (red) but must admit when I saw it live I didn't see the kick, just Evans and Drogs going up to head the ball and then the kick afterward.

drogba's reaction was ace. like he was being fuc_king electrocuted. the massive jessie.

yep, he had me fooled, thought Evan's broke a rib or two. 30 seconds later he is in the box tripping brown.

Yeah,he even had an old cynic like me worried! I can see him going the same way as Cantona when he hangs up his boots.Mind you,that was a whack he took from Grasshopper Evans.

I thought a nil all draw would have been a fair result after closely fought game, it was always going to to whoever snuck the first goal in.

Lots of positives to take out of the game, Anderson, Fletcher and Rooney all worked their socks off to good effect, Valencia too is shaping up to become a valued member with he squad. and Obertan shows real promise. Just wish we had the pairing of Vidic & Ferdinand from last season. :) .

Why did not Evans and Brown not do a good job last night ? I thought they controlled the much hyped pre match Drogba with ease reducing him to a bit player in the overall scheme of things . I will give Drogba a 9/10 for his twitching display though, master class, although running around like a 2 yr old a few minutes later sort of reduced it to a 5/10

I see Obertan too as being a big future plus for United .Despite his weird appearance he is quick and has a football brain unlike Nani whose days now must be numbered. Having 2 speedy wingers in Valancia (improving all the time) will be like the good old days and now all we need is a midfielder or 2 that can hit the target more often than not.

It shouldn't be seen as a major setback, of course it would have been great to get points, but it wasn't to be. I am pretty certain that we will bounce back and there is still so much of the season left. On to the next game.

Just wish we had the pairing of Vidic & Ferdinand from last season. :) .

Why did not Evans and Brown not do a good job last night ?

Yes i agree. I don't think Evans or Brown did too much wrong, and i don't necessarily think the result would have been different had Vidic and Ferdinand been playing.

I see Obertan too as being a big future plus for United .Despite his weird appearance he is quick and has a football brain

Talking of his football brain, that is a weird shaped noggin if ever i saw one!

In terms of his football though, he looks good!

You guy's want a little Nostalgia

A little there for the Blue half and for Liverpool too,

A great article I thought

Hi Moss, Thanks for the great link, fascinating reading.

Probably working down the mines at 14 y.o., and killed in the mud, muck and horror that was WWI..........Oh how things have changed.

Loved the bit about going to the game on the costerman's cart, and taking your front door-bell with you to the game.

Eh by heck, where's me flat hat & rattle............... :)

As a staunch Chelsea fan, I wouldn't have given the goal. Drogs was clearly off side and interfering with play. On the other side I thought Chelsea played the prettier football ( unusual against United) and United as ever took the hard man approach. Yes 0-0 would have been a fair reflection. What really irks me, is that in the papers this morning, Fergie ranting and raving about he shouldn't be allowed to referee. the free kick, was digraceful........................................Er, sorry lads, but wasn't this the same ref that played 8 minutes of extra time to allow Unites to score against City. I agree he should be taken off the Refs list, but for that, not Sundays (mistake?) And Johnny Evans is a true Man U man. He hacked and slashed his way through Chelsea for most of the match before he was booked. When I saw the team sheets, I thought a Chelsea walk over, but vyou lot have got a hard lot of youngsters even though they can't play football. And, it was the best I have seen United play all season.

Just watched Football Focus on which, when discussing Man United's weaknesses, Jamie Reeves stated that Rooney was many things but not a great finisher. What utter <deleted>.... in my humble opinion.

What do you guys think about his finishing?

Just watched Football Focus on which, when discussing Man United's weaknesses, Jamie Reeves stated that Rooney was many things but not a great finisher. What utter <deleted>.... in my humble opinion.

He is and he isnt.Now I know that sounds like having a bit both ways but there are times when he seems to rush things and not steady himself before he fires off a shot then again his enthusiasm and desire to get to the ball gives him opportunities other players wouldnt get. I think Rooneys goal to opportunities ratio will improve with maturity. I thought he was magnificent against Chelsea, easily the best on the park. We must remember too without Ronaldo's goals Roo sees it as his responsiblity to score. I just wish the midfielders would chip in with a few more.and take the presure of Rooney I hope Darron Gibson, now recovered from an injury, is given a run in the lesser games .He has a thunderbolt of a shot. The only plus with FF tonight was Mc Mahons absence

He is and he isnt.

Got to disagree with you mate. When Rooney has a chance on goal, he's one of the few players that you just know will score. The trouble of late has been that his chances have been half chances at best - and most of those half chances he has made himself.

I think Rooner is an excellent finisher & probably the best English finisher there is, closely followed by Owen & Defoe, in that order..

Agreed.

I'm a big fan of Defoe as well. He has that rare ability to know where the goal is without even looking up. Always hoped he might come our way...

I don't know,he just had a baby boy, seems the lad can finish.