Manchester United

redrus

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well.. stuck far away, working; I'm very happy with the result.. and thanks Red for all the news, I don't have too much access here. :D

Never a chore fella, never a chore.

At times like this, a bloody pleasure....! :o

redrus

07/02/2007 10:28, Report by Steve Bartram on the Official Site.

May: Vidic better than Terry

Nemanja Vidic has become a better defender than England and Chelsea captain John Terry, according to former United centre back David May.

The Serbian has been a revelation this season with his no-nonsense tackling and knack for powering home headers from set-pieces, and May is among his biggest fans.

"As an all-round player I think Vidic is better than Terry," May told MUTV. "Nemanja is faster and I think now if he was out of United's side than he'd leave a similar hole, if not bigger.

"If it were not for the fabulous form of Ronaldo and Paul Scholes this season then I think Nemanja Vidic would be United's player of the year."

Vida powered home his fourth goal of the season in last Sunday's thumping win at Tottenham, and May expects plenty more goals from the towering Serbian.

"Nemanja has had some bad luck in front of goal with efforts hitting the post, bar, being hacked off the line," said May. "He could be in double figures by now, he has been knocking on the door so many times.

"He is certainly capable of getting double figures regularly for United in seasons to come."

May, like many others, sees stylistic similarities between Vidic and former United captain Steve Bruce, himself famed for being a fearless header of the ball in either penalty area.

"Like Brucey he is not afraid to put his head in where it hurts," he said. "He's very aggressive attacking balls in the air, as well as on the ground.

"He's got a fantastic leap on him and a determination to get his head on to something no matter what's happening around him. He is focused solely on going for that ball.

"In terms of bravery he is top of the list for me. As a defender it is great for United because that kind of player is a bit of a throwback and strikers don't fancy going up against such courage.

"In attacking terms defenders aren't that used to his kind in the box these days. Even they might have a few second thoughts when Vidic is around and a ball is coming into the box. I think some are scared of him possibly.

"United haven't had that kind of threat for years since Brucey left. There have been some good defenders like Jaap Stam and Rio Ferdinand but they didn't provide that danger at set-pieces in the opposition penalty area."

Agreed, all those who do too, say eye....! :o

redrus

I concur Red ... I wasn't fully sure at first but I sure as sure am now .... :D

I always knew........... :D

Anyway, today's Ronaldo news....! :D

This one will run and run.

From the Sun:

Ronaldo has cast doubt over his future by refusing to pledge himself to Manchester United.

Ronaldo, a £40million target for Real Madrid and Barcelona, said:

“I don’t know where I will be in the space of the next six months. For the moment, I’m only thinking about training well every day. The only thing I am sure about is I want to continue at the level I’ve reached and aim to improve even more.”

Barca’s director of football Txiki Begiristain watched Ronaldo play for Portugal against Brazil in a friendly at Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium last night.

The winger also hailed Barca ace Deco:

“He is one of the best players I’ve ever shared a team with.”

Brilliant.......... :o

And....

This time he’s up in court.

From the Mirror:

Cristiano Ronaldo was fined £500 for speeding yesterday and blasted by a judge for manipulating the legal system.

The Manchester United winger was driving a Porsche Cayenne in the city in 2005 when he was caught by a speed camera.

In February 2006, he denied doing 60mph in a 40mph zone. But in a letter to the court yesterday, the Portuguese player changed his plea to guilty. District judge Wendy Lloyd, sitting at Manchester magistrates court, said:

“There can be no credit for a guilty plea. The system has been manipulated in this case up until the last minute. The case now due to proceed is very old.”

He was given six points on his driving licence and ordered to pay £500 costs.

redrus

From a Geordie perspective, NewcastleUnitedMad.com.

Boot On Other Foot For Man Utd

By Nu Mad

Thursday 8th February 2007

When Manchester United cannot hang onto their best players ... where does that put the rest of us?

You don't need me to tell you Newcastle have suffered more than most in the past, as the "bigger clubs" came raiding. Peter Beardsley to Liverpool; Chris Waddle and Gazza to Spurs; and even Andy Cole to Manchester United.

But today, as rumours suggest Cristiano Ronaldo is heading to Spain in the summer, Bryan Robson says Manchester United must do whatever it takes to keep him at Old Trafford.

The Portuguese winger is a £35million summer transfer target for Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid.

And speculation that he could leave for the Nou Camp increased when Barcelona director of football Txiki Begiristain was photographed with Jorge Mendes, the 22-year-old's representative, watching Portugal's match with Brazil at the Emirates Stadium on Tuesday night.

Robson: "It is vital to keep him - he is crucial to United. I don't see any reason why they would let him go. He is contracted to United and has been a massive player for them this season.

"I think the boo boys at away games may be unsettling him at the moment is that he loves it at United but fans everywhere he goes are booing him."

redrus

Glazer set to outshine Liverpool owners.

TalkingSoccer.blogspot.com

Manchester United owner Malcolm Glazer is set to splash out during the summer in a bid to remain top dog following Liverpools takeover by fellow American George Gillett and Tom Hicks.

Gillet and Hicks have taken control of Liverpool and have promised manager Rafa Benitez an open cheque book to make Liverpool top dogs in the Premiership. It is expected Liverpool will shell out up to £150 million during the summer with a host of top players set to make the move to Anfield.

Glazer however will not just stand by and watch the Reds snap up all the best players and will try to sign some big names of his own at Old Trafford in a bid to remain the number 1 club in the Premiership.

In the words of a famous Scouser, "My Arse", I doubt very much, either promise will come to fruition....!

redrus

Glazer however will not just stand by and watch the Reds snap up all the best players and will try to sign some big names of his own at Old Trafford in a bid to remain the number 1 club in the Premiership.[/i]

redrus

many have asked me why I support a team that was at best unknown to most thais....names in the know were ManU, Liverpool. at some point Chelsea was the other mentioned name

the above is exactly why :D any club with enough money can spend to buy whoever is the current hot star of the day. could this be why Chelsea, despite all their stars, arent doing as well as they should? team spirit not developed?

anyway...Ill take the rest back to my blog :o

sorry redrus :D

CARRA: WE CAN MATCH UNITED NOW.

Sporting Life.

England defender Jamie Carragher says the American takeover at Anfield will put Liverpool on a financial par with Manchester United.

Local hero Carragher says talks with new owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks left him convinced the club is in the right hands for the future. :D

Carragher met both men the night before they were officially unveiled as the club's new co-chairmen, and he believes the Reds are now well placed to move to the next level.

"All the players have been talking to each other for the last few days and we're all excited this is going to move the club forward," he told the club's official website.

"We're hoping it's going to help us get to the level of Manchester United. It would be nice to think we'll have as much money as Chelsea, but I think that's unrealistic. (you only wish :D )

"Being able to compete in the transfer market with United would be good enough, and being able to sign players of the calibre they've managed in the last 10 years would make a big difference.

"I look at it as a supporter as much as a player, and the main thing is to have a great team competing for honours every year in a brilliant new stadium. That's a legacy which will serve the club for the next 100 years and our children and grandchildren will enjoy. (:D :D :bah: while not queuing)

"We only spoke for 10 to 15 (words) on Monday night. They just told me and Stevie the same things as were mentioned in the press conference, telling us they had the interests of the club at heart and want to bring success to the club. That's all you want to hear."

That's that then Carra, its all done and dusted, plain sailing from now on in, eh la.....! :o

Does he honestly expect us to believe that either could understand what the <deleted>*k the other was on about....! :o:bah:

redrus

Van der Sar boosts United

Thursday Feb 08 2007 12:42 Football.co.uk

Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin Van der Sar looks set to be fit for the resumption of the Champions League later this month, despite suffering a broken nose in last weekend's 4-0 victory over Tottenham Hotspur.

The veteran keeper suffered a facial injury towards the end of the clash at White Hart Lane and pulled out of Holland's midweek friendly with Russia.

However, Van der Sar expects to resume light training towards the end of the week and should be fit for United's last 16 European tie with Lille on February 20.

"I will start doing some physical work again soon, maybe on Thursday or Friday," he told his personal website.

"I'll probably start with the bike and get exercising again to see how I am. A couple of weeks and that will be it, I'll be fit again.

"I don't know when I will be back in the team yet. I'm going to see how it goes when I do my first physical training session, I want to make sure I'm 100 per cent.

"I think we are going to wait until I train again early next week and take it from there. It all depends what the doctors have to say, of course."

Meanwhile, the former Fulham, Juventus and Ajax keeper isn't tempted to wear protective headgear like Chelsea counterpart Peter Cech despite suffering a head injury.

He added: "There have been lots of injuries to goalkeepers this season but it is a complete coincidence.

"It is a physical game and as long as everything is done in a sporting manner then it's fine.

"I don't feel tempted to wear the same headgear that Chelsea's Petr Cech is wearing at the moment.

"I understand why he wears it, but in my case it wouldn't have prevented my broken nose, so why would I need to?"

redrus

FootyMAD's Charlton Athletic match preview

By Footymad

Friday 9th February 2007

FootyMad attempt to assist you with their form guide as Manchester United take on Charlton Athletic in a Premiership match on Saturday 10th February 2007 at 15:00.

Footymad preview

History of the Manchester United v Charlton Athletic fixture

Man Utd. prepare to entertain Charlton Athletic at Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon, with high hopes of improving on their excellent record against the opposition, having chalked up an impressive 22 wins out of 30 previous matches.

The most recent encounter between these two sides at Old Trafford was less than a year ago, in May 2006, as they swept to an impressive 4-0 win in a Premiership match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, Click Here.

Recent encounters between the teams:

2006/2007 Wed 23 Aug Charlton Ath. 0 - 3 Man Utd. PREM

2005/2006 Sun 07 May Man Utd. 4-0 Charlton Ath. PREM

2005/2006 Sat 19 Nov Charlton Ath. 1 - 3 Man Utd. PREM

2004/2005 Sun 01 May Charlton Ath. 0 - 4 Man Utd. PREM

2004/2005 Sat 20 Nov Man Utd. 2 - 0 Charlton Ath. PREM

2003/2004 Tue 20 Apr Man Utd. 2 - 0 Charlton Ath. PREM

2003/2004 Sat 13 Sep Charlton Ath. 0 - 2 Man Utd. PREM

Recent respective form guides

Manchester United could not have a more impressive recent home form, having won each of the last six games. In this time, Red Devils have rattled up an impressive 17 goals, and conceded 6.

In complete contrast to Man Utd., Charlton Ath. are having a torrid time on their travels, accumulating just 1 victory and 1 draw from their last six played. Addicks have conceded 14 goals in these games, and only hit 3 in reply.

Man Utd. are currently sitting proudly at the top of the entire league, having collected 63 points from the 26 games played. Charlton Ath. are stuck down in the relegation zone of Barclays Premiership with a return of just 20 points from their 26 games thus far.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, Click Here.

Current form guides: P W D L F A P

Man Utd. 6 5 0 1 16 5 15

Charlton Ath. 6 1 1 4 3 11 4

FootyMad's prediction ...

Its good news for Man Utd. fans, because, with them being in such great nick at home, I just cannot see any further than an emphatic home win for the Red Devils. Home win

Sequence statistics:

Man Utd. Won 9 successive home games.

10 games since last home draw.

Won their latest 3 matches.

Not drawn a match in their last 6 .

Charlton Ath. No win in the 2 most recent games.

redrus

Skip this people, :o Ronaldo News.... :D

Costinha: Ronaldo won´t leave Man Utd

2007-02-09 CET 13:26

Atletico Madrid midfielder Costinha does not believe Portugal teammate Cristiano Ronaldo will leave Manchester United.

He said at a press conference: "I am not his agent. But he is a great player.

"It seems to me that he is very happy in Manchester.

"I do not believe that he has any desire to leave there.

"You cannot choose between Barcelona and Real Madrid as they are two great world-class teams. If he went, it's safe to say he would go to a great team but I see it as being very complicated."

Copyright © OnTheMinute.com & AsianHandicap.com

redrus

Liverpool signing Mascherano makes Man Utd slip

tribalfooball.com - February 08, 2007

Prospective Liverpool signing Javier Mascherano has made a slip - referring to himself as a "Red Devil"!

The Argentine midfielder is still seeking clearance to make his Anfield debut, having ended his nightmare stay at West Ham on deadline day last week.

But while Mascherano is kicking his heels, perhaps he should swot up on his new club - as he referred to the Kop kings as the Red Devils, the nickname of bitter rivals Manchester United.

He said: "I have disconnected myself from West Ham and signed a contract with Liverpool.

"I can consider myself a Red Devil. It's now just up to the Premier League to authorise me to play, something I believe should happen because it was they who made the appeal to FIFA to allow me to move clubs. I hope the situation is resolved as soon as possible."

The 22-year-old midfielder is desperate to get going in England after a disastrous spell at Upton Park.

And he reckons chatting with Reds boss Rafa Benitez - a fellow Spanish-speaker more than did the trick.

He added: "I spoke to Benitez in Spanish and I must admit it was helpful speaking the same language.

"Benitez asked me if I wanted to stay in England or if I'd prefer to go elsewhere. When I told him I wanted to play this football and prove that I can adapt to it, he fought to sign me."

Divvy......... :o:D :D

redrus

but....

Vs. Charlton.

The Times says:

Wayne Rooney faces a race to be fit for the match against Charlton tomorrow. The forward was expected to be fit after pulling out of the England squad for the midweek friendly defeat by Spain with a back problem.

Rooney is suspended for United’s FA Cup fifth-round tie at home to Reading a week tomorrow, having picked up his fifth yellow card of the season.

Ferguson has toyed with the idea of giving the forward time off before Lille on February 20, but the final decision is likely to rest with Rooney.

Tomasz Kuszczak will deputise against Charlton and Reading after Edwin van der Sar revealed that he is only ready to resume light training after breaking his nose.

“A couple of weeks and I’ll be fit. I don’t know when I will be back in the team. I’m going to see how it goes when I do my first physical training session — I want to make sure I’m 100 per cent.”

redrus

Team should be about the same, barring a couple, although those couple are major players, we won't know for def until the team sheets released at around 11am to midday GMT.

MATCH PREVIEW : Manchester United v Charlton

Absolutely United.

A home match against Charlton, second bottom of the Premiership and heading south is a no brainer.

United have hit a purple patch, scoring 10 goals in their last three outings with only one in reply. The strikers and midfield have revelled in the attacking might and one-touch interplay that has brought misery to Premiership middleweights like Portsmouth and Spurs. United carved poor Watford like a Sunday roast. What will they do to Charlton just one place above the division’s weakest unit?

If only football played out on the turf as easily as it does on paper. Then again, United showed appropriate disdain for the eternal pessimists who see them sliding onto a banana skin in every match. United oozed class against Spurs in a powerful second half display last Sunday. There is no reason for them to take the foot of the pedal against Charlton this afternoon.

Certainly, Sir Alex is aware of the danger of foregone conclusions. "Everyone expects us to beat Charlton," the manager said. "Fans come expecting miracles and dreaming about what can be achieved in a couple of months' time. But as professionals, we have to recognise all these games are difficult - and we have to approach them in that manner. If we keep our feet on the ground and keep playing the way we have been, we have a good chance."

Today might be the best time to play the Londoners, who are in the midst of an injury crisis. The potent Bent is out and Hreidarsson wont play either. Alas, the recently arrived thug Ben Thatcher is available for duty and as an ex-City man, will enjoy a warm relationship with the home fans.

Whisper it softly but Charlton don’t really expect to get anything at Old Trafford and understand that forthcoming games against West Ham, Watford, Wigan and Newcastle will have a far greater bearing on the club's perilous hold on Premiership status.

With February a decisive month in United’s quest for glory, fringe players are again likely to see action today. Definitely starting is the Polish stopper Tomasz Kuszczak and Sir Alex may risk run outs for Park, Richardson and Fletcher. The Scot impressed against Charlton in the away match last autumn but has had few chances since to show his worth.

Also in need of match practice is Louis Saha. Once described in these pages as ‘Mr Indispensable,’ the Frenchman has found his importance to United’s team pattern growing less obvious with every Henrik Larsson demonstration of technique and pedigree.

However, the run and pass Saha engineered to release Giggs for his goal against Spurs last weekend, showed the Frenchman has lost none of his touch after an injury break. Saha must hope to come back into the first team soon and will want to show he remains United’s foremost striker.

This match has to be a stone wall home banker. United should win at a canter.

redrus

but....

Vs. Charlton.

The Times says:

Wayne Rooney faces a race to be fit for the match against Charlton tomorrow. The forward was expected to be fit after pulling out of the England squad for the midweek friendly defeat by Spain with a back problem.

Rooney is suspended for United’s FA Cup fifth-round tie at home to Reading a week tomorrow, having picked up his fifth yellow card of the season.

Ferguson has toyed with the idea of giving the forward time off before Lille on February 20, but the final decision is likely to rest with Rooney.

Tomasz Kuszczak will deputise against Charlton and Reading after Edwin van der Sar revealed that he is only ready to resume light training after breaking his nose.

“A couple of weeks and I’ll be fit. I don’t know when I will be back in the team. I’m going to see how it goes when I do my first physical training session — I want to make sure I’m 100 per cent.”

redrus

Christ Red ... that's really put the cat amongst my pidgeons ... Who do I pick as my captain in the fantasy league ?

Rooney or Ronaldo ?

I'll take the 2-0 happily. We certainly weren't at our best and Charlton made a game of it but the result is everything, unlike last season (a 0-0 draw with an already relegated Sunderland springs to mind) we're winning when not playing well... excellent. :o

Reading back over some of the previous posts I agree.. Vidic has been fantastic this season.. Evra too, and he's the one I didn't expect to deliver..I'm well happy to be wrong though..

Manchester United 2 Charlton Athletic 0

by Footymad

Match report of this afternoon's home win in the clash against Charlton Athletic

Whether or not this was a workmanlike performance efficiently executed by Manchester United or a damage limitation exercise by struggling Charlton, this was one of the most predictable results of the season.

The Premiership leaders have now beaten second from bottom Charlton in their last nine league meetings.

Charlton's last win at Old Trafford was over 20 years ago and, although they had their moments, they were as likely to improve on that statistic as a snow-ball is to survive in hel_l.

Once Ji-Sung Park had headed United into a 24th minute lead, Charlton were always up against it and Darren Fletcher's header eight minutes from time gave the scoreline a more realistic look.

Yet Charlton manager Alan Pardew will not be too down-hearted about the result as he surveys his side's chances of Premiership survival.

Defeats by Chelsea and United in the last two games are no surprise for most Premiership teams and at least Charlton now have a more solid look about them.

United were more the artisans than the aristocrats in their latest victory.

They missed the fleet-footed Cristiano Ronaldo, out with a heavy cold, and of United's big guns in attack, only Wayne Rooney showed anything like his normal form.

United had two good early chances - the first coming when Park surged through the middle to hit a ferocious 25-yard drive which was well-tipped over by Charlton goalkeeper Scott Carson.

Louis Saha, out for the last six games through injury, directed a weak header at Carson from Ryan Giggs' fine right-wing cross seconds later.

Charlton's best chance of the game came in the 12th minute.

Osei Sankofa's cross to the near post from the right was met by Darren Ambrose, whose header from six yards out was brilliantly tipped behind one-handed by United goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak at full-stretch.

Ambrose tested Kuszczak again with a snap 20-yard shot after 23 minutes, but United were ahead within a minute.

Patrice Evra beat Sankofa as he raced down the left to produce a pin-point cross into the centre of the box which was headed home by Park six yards out.

Rooney produced a sublime piece of skill in the 38th minute. Giggs found the England man on the edge of the Charlton penalty area.

Rooney, surrounded by Souleymane Diawara and Ben Thatcher took both of them out of the game as he flicked the ball up and then took it down, before firing his shot narrowly wide from eight yards.

United lapsed into a spell of complacency at the start of the second half.

Giggs shot wide when well placed and Saha toe-poked a shot from the edge of the box which was taken at full stretch by Carson.

Charlton were a whisker away from a 76th minute equaliser when Dennis Rommedahl's powerful 30-yard free-kick fizzed inches wide off the head of United defender Gary Neville.

Saha shot straight at Carson, but any outside hopes of a Charlton recovery died six minutes later.

Fletcher found Rooney on the left side of the Charlton box and, although Carson blocked his shot with his legs, Rooney was quickest to react.

Looking up, he calmly scooped his cross to the far post where Fletcher scored with a diving header from six yards.

Fletcher was denied by Carson in the last minute, but 3-0 would have been grossly unfair to Charlton.

redrus

VIEWS FROM THE BROADSHEETS

Sunday 11th February 2007

The Scottish player gets some plaudits.

THE INDIE

There is no finer reader of a Premiership run-in than Sir Alex Ferguson, so perhaps we should not have been surprised at his prescience yesterday. Man-chester United, he warned in the match programme, could not depend on blitzing opponents every week and, not for the first time, he was right.

They defeated Charlton Athletic, but it was the sort of grinding performance that wins championships rather than the fantasy football that attracts admirers. Faced by a team whose endeavour and spirit belied their position near the foot of the table, United got the three points their title hopes demanded, but you would have got long odds on the scorers, particularly if you had predicted both goals would come from headers.

Park Ji-Sung scored his fourth goal as a United player while Darren Fletcher got his seventh eight minutes from time, and while both have their merits as midfield players, no one would describe them as budding Tommy Taylors. Championships are won frequently by teams who keep their heads; in United's case, those heads were on surprising shoulders.

"It was a difficult game," Ferguson said, applauding Charlton as much as his own players. "It was a surprising performance because teams at the bottom of the table don't always have the confidence to play. They came out and acquitted themselves well.

"One-nil means nothing, you can concede a goal in a moment, so our second was very important. For the first time this season the pitch looked dry and bouncy, and maybe that's why we weren't as fluid as we can be."

The pitch was mitigating circumstance one, but head and shoulders higher were Charlton, who have now lost their past 10 Premiership matches against United but who were anything but cowed yesterday. On paper, top versus second bottom looked a formality; in reality it was a hard game, the theme set by the opening 20 minutes. United began with a flourish, Park and Louis Saha provoking diving saves from Scott Carson within six minutes, but Charlton could have taken the lead twice minutes later. First Dennis Rommedhal found the side-netting after Marcus Bent had sliced through midfield, then Darren Ambrose caused palpitations in the home defence with a header that Tomasz Kuszczak tipped round the post.

United's great virtue this season is that their goals have come from a multitude of sources and, after 24 minutes, they found another: Park's head. The South Korean has a habit of abandoning his judgement when he gets near the goal, so it was a surprise when he reacted quicker than anyone else as Patrice Evra's cross from the left deviated off Madjid Bougherra's attempted tackle and looped in the air. Park, who had moved off his wing, spotted the opportunity and rose above Ben Thatcher to force the ball into the corner.

United played much of the second half in such a subdued manner you could have been forgiven for thinking this was a meaningless end-of-season fixture. Charlton, sensing they might be catching the League leaders dozing, pressed forward.

THE OBSERVER

The news that Manchester United had slipped from second to fourth in the world's richest clubs list might have given a Glazer brother or two the odd sleepless night last week. The club were after all top of the pile for eight consecutive years until being deposed by Real Madrid 12 months ago. Yet your average fan is unlikely to give a tinker's cuss about who owns the most pennies so long as the wins keep coming and this latest three points had a tremendous air of inevitability about it.

Charlton came to Old Trafford with the best away record of the sides in the bottom three, which sounded vaguely encouraging until you considered the abysmal form of the other two. Away defeat number 11 from 14 attempts came about thanks to a goal in each half from Park Ji-sung and Darren Fletcher. But this was a strangely off-colour performance by United.

On another day, Charlton could even have come away from the north-west with something. The fact that arguably the biggest cheer of the afternoon welcomed the announcement of Liverpool's demise at Newcastle says it all.

Sir Alex Ferguson's assertion in the match programme that 'I don't think you can say any one match is harder than the other' was put to the test during the opening exchanges as United set about testing Scott Carson's goal at will.

In the sixth minute Park powered into the visitors' penalty area and fired in a right-foot drive that the Charlton goalkeeper did well to push over the bar. From the resulting corner Ryan Giggs turned Ben Thatcher before delivering a right-foot cross that Louis Saha met smartly, Carson again blocking low to his left.

A United goal seemed imminent, so it came as something of a surprise even to Charlton's fans when the visitors proceeded to create two decent chances of their own. First Marcus Bent played in Dennis Rommedahl, who should have done better than find the side netting with a shot from 15 yards. Two minutes later Osei Sankofa delivered a hanging cross from the left that was met by Darren Ambrose. This time it was Tomasz Kuszczak's turn to excel in goal, diving full length to his left to concede a corner.

It was, however, too good to last. In the 24th minute Saha found just enough space on the left flank to put in a cross, the ball taking a massive deflection off Sankofa before falling to Park, whose header from five yards out gave Carson no chance.

Now normal service was resumed as United, bereft of the cold-ridden Cristiano Ronaldo, took control of the remainder of the first half. Wayne Rooney, absent from England duty here in midweek, went close to scoring a beauty even by his recent standards in collecting a chipped pass from Giggs, wrong-footing Souleymane Diawara and stabbing a right-foot shot just wide of Carson's right post.

With large sections of Old Trafford making for their prawn sandwiches, Saha found the side netting from close range, admittedly when faced by a tight angle, after Gary Neville's cross fell at his feet via a rebound off Madjid Bougherra.

THE SUNDAY TIMES

Christmas is long gone, but the fixture list for Manchester United has taken on the aspect of an advent calendar. Tick off the days, keep opening doors and a miracle will come into view.

Not many expected Sir Alex Fergu-son’s side to be leading Chelsea at this stage of the season, but this was another date on the calendar checked off without mishap. With goal difference in their favour, United will be champions with nine more wins. There was nothing exciting behind the doors at Old Trafford yesterday but supporters are keen enough for the league trophy to accept a routine performance.

Not until Darren Fletcher nodded into an empty goal eight minutes from time was the result secured, with United missing the passing of Michael Carrick and Cristiano Ronaldo’s X-factor against a negative yet dogged Charlton Athletic. They also suffered without Henrik Larsson, but once he arrived as a substitute, the game’s best player, Wayne Rooney, had an accomplice and the pair fashioned the decisive moment for Fletcher.

Rooney found Larsson 25 yards out and the Swede calmly held the ball in close quarters before squeezing in a clever return ball. From there, Rooney displayed the footballing brain that, more than anything, makes him unique. He drove into the box and shot against Scott Carson and, when the rebound arrived at his feet, did the unexpected by leaning back and deliberately slicing the ball into the air to his right. Fletcher and Larsson stood in space and the Scot claimed the glory.

The pitch, suffering the effects of bad weather and Wednesday’s England game, was buttery. Charlton are plainly in a jam. The transfer window came and went without any signings to improve the squad in terms of quality and, although the new manager has improved motivation, there is no disguising the tactical and technical deficiencies in Alan Pardew’s team.

They arrived with one seeming hope, that United would have a very off, off day and that the physical presence of Marcus Bent and the loan signing Alexandre Song would make them competitive. For spells in the first half, this happened, but in other patches, they could only watch their opponents from the wrong end of a wide footballing gulf.

THE SUNDAY TELEGRAPH

It was a satisfactory afternoon for Manchester United, who took another firm step towards the restoration of their erstwhile status - six points and 18 goals ahead with just 11 matches left, they should be champions now - and not a wholly discouraging one for Charlton either.

While neither Alan Pardew nor his team enjoyed losing, they would be the first to acknowledge that their prospects of staying in the Premiership were always less likely to be affected by this match than their next. And nobody even remotely connected with Charlton will need any reminding that is two weeks hence, at home to the West Ham of Alan Curbishley, who expertly guided the club's fortunes for so many years, becoming almost a sort of mid-table Sir Alex Ferguson, before taking a rest from management at the end of last season.

Pardew, into whose job he stepped after the Norwegian take-over at Upton Park, saw his Charlton go down with a degree of honour here, limiting the number of United openings and trailing by but a single goal until the closing stages, when Darren Fletcher nodded his third of the season. Some of the credit had to go to Wayne Rooney, who, not for the first time on his return, displayed lovely control before trying a shot that Scott Carson parried but could not prevent from reaching Fletcher on the rebound.

To no one's great surprise, Rooney had recovered from the hip injury that caused him to miss England's friendly against Spain on this ground: an occasion best remembered for Andres Iniesta's smart goal and the storm of booing with which it concluded, prompting Gary Neville to berate the crowd for not being as tolerant and supportive as United's. Perhaps it would have been different had the customers been delivered a half-decent performance; this was certainly the best by a home side at Old Trafford since United beat Watford 11 days ago.

With United bent on the title and back in form after what Ferguson chose to regard as a wake-up call at Arsenal - less partial observers might have mistaken it for a thrilling vindication of the persistent passing football in which United, too, believe - the chances of Charlton interrupting their progress had seemed slim all along. Especially as they fielded two debutants. Yet Alexandre Song, a midfielder from Arsenal, and Madjid Bougherra, a defender late of Sheffield Wednesday, played their full parts in making United work and wait for a ninth consecutive home victory in the Premiership.

Man of the Match: Darren Fletcher gets more than his fair share of disparagement, but he is a good player. He made sure the injured Michael Carrick was not too greatly missed - as well as finishing Charlton off with the second goal.

Moment of the Match: Wayne Rooney's piece of magic towards the end of the first half, when he teased the Charlton defence before narrowly missing the target; with some players (above all Pele), you remember even their misses.

Rating: 6/10

redrus

THE TWINS TELL RONALDO TO STAY PUT.

Djemba-Djemba says he should stay whilst an international colleague tells him to go.

"Every time I see him I tell him to stay where he is."

"And I think he understands that. He has told me he wants to stay at United.

"The manager at United likes him, the players like him and the fans like him. So why should he go?

"Everything is going well for him now, but who knows what might happen if he changed clubs and went abroad?

"He can wait to move to a club like Barcelona or Real Madrid, because he is still only 22."

And about Fergie:

"I think United need to win it and Ferguson needs it," he said. "Four years is a long time for a club like United to go without winning the Premiership.

"And I think Ferguson will retire when he has won the title again. That's what's driving him on."

More pressure from Portugal. This time Hugo Viana, a complete failure in Barcodeland intimates that Ronaldo is too good for the Premiership. From The Sun:

Viana said: "At this moment he is one of the world's top three, along with Ronaldinho and Deco.

"He has worked really hard to get to this point and it won't be long before he moves to a more important club such as Barcelona or Real Madrid. :o:D :D

"It is difficult for a team like Manchester United to keep him.

"If Barcelona or Real Madrid really want him they will sign him.

"He has not got much left at United. Furthermore, Spain is the perfect league for him."

Viana added that he had spoken to Ronaldo last week but he refused to talk about any rumours.

Viana said: "He is a very private person."

So, DD still speaks to Ronaldo but he won't tell HV anything about it. I question the motives of some people who comment on others careers.

Especially ones who's careers are not exactly shining.

redrus

Hello All, two away games against Fulham and stanley park stealers to come ,without chelski kickin a ball, what do you reckon ? Me I`ll take 6 PTS. This is a great chance for us to put the title to bed...LUHG :D

Agreed mate, welcome too to the fray....! :o

Chelsea need to take a reality check. Even if the worst should happen and, we lose 2 games, bindippers and rent boys. We'll still be level on points and a country mile ahead on goal difference....! :D

It does not look like they're upping their game either, as tends to happen in the run in....!

redrus

HOWARD'S END

Most of todays red tops.

Thursday 15th February 2007

He makes permanent move to Everton.

Everton have signed Tim Howard on a five-year contract for a fee believed to be in the region of £3million.

Howard told evertonTV: "The club share my ambition, that is for sure, the manager does and so do the fans.

"I was drawn to the club for a number of reasons and the players in the dressing room are one of them."

David Moyes said: "We are delighted to have signed Tim on a permanent basis. He has come in this season and proved he is a good keeper and we are pleased to have secured him."

redrus

BRING BACK THE SPECIAL

Thursday 15th February 2007

BTP wants fans off passenger trains.

From the Guardian.

A senior policeman has called for the return of football-special trains to carry fans around the country, after warning that match day travellers are disrupting services.

Specially chartered trains were a fixture of the 1970s and 1980s when football-related violence was at its peak and the British Rail network was a conduit for pitched battles between hooligans - earning one notorious set of West Ham fans the nickname of the Inter City Firm. However, scheduling is now at the behest of privately-owned train operators who will not run unprofitable services or do not have spare carriages to run special trains.

The deputy head of the British Transport Police warned yesterday that his resources were being stretched by the pressure of herding growing numbers of fans around the country on match days. Even when services to match day hotspots such as London, Manchester and Liverpool pass off without arrests, non-football going passengers can be frightened or irritated by fans' behaviour, said Andy Trotter, deputy chief constable.

Although "an awful lot" of fans behave impeccably on the way to matches and during games, some of the antics on the rail network and London Underground were unacceptable. "There is an argument for the football specials, the trains that take fans backwards and forwards, but that's a matter for the train operators."

Mr Trotter said he would like to see fans taken off trains: "I would much prefer if there is something done not to have them coming on the system at all."

The arrival of the Premier League and the Sky Sports broadcasting schedule has created a three-day footballing weekend which has added to the strain on the BTP's 2,700 officers, he added: "This is not only on a Saturday, it's on a Sunday and it's on a Monday. Sky TV dictates certain times and it's a real challenge."

Mr Trotter was speaking at a transport security conference in London yesterday, where he was asked by a local authority official if the BTP could herd match day "animals" into special trains.

Manchester United head the transport disruption league, according to BTP figures. Its fans have been involved in 16 incidents on trains and tubes since August, followed by Coventry with 12. Last season the most disruptive club was Chelsea, whose fans notched up 19 incidents. A spokesman for Virgin Trains, whose west coast route serves around 16 clubs, said reviving specially charted trains was hampered by lack of spare carriages, unlike in the British Rail days when redundant stock was wheeled out for many football services. GNER, which carries thousands of fans between London, Leeds and Newcastle every weekend, takes stewards from Middlesbrough football club on match day services to help quell any unrest. However, a spokesman for the train operator said timetables were specified by the government and did not allow for specially charted trains.

The chair of the Football Supporters' Federation, Malcolm Clarke, said bringing back football specials was the right idea for the wrong reason. "If there was enough demand for a football special and it could be run at a certain time I think a lot of people would be happy with that. But we don't accept that a lot of football fans who go on trains are hooligans."

Incidents attended by British Transport Police on the rail and London Underground networks this season:

1 Manchester United (16 incidents)

2 Coventry (12)

3 Aston Villa (9)

4 Chelsea (9)

5 Liverpool (9)

6 Cardiff (8)

7 Leeds (8)

8 Millwall (7)

9 Birmingham (6)

10 West Ham (5)

Source: BTP

redrus