Manchester United

redrus

sheesh at membership....honest info now...i once won a ManU tshirt :o:D:bah::D:D:bah: a beckham one at that :-S ive been thinking what to do with it...cant be seen with it..cant be seen giving it away....but out of respect I havent destroyed it :D so there...from now on you fellas be nice ;)

anyway rus...i thought Id stroll in since u were getting all lonely...perhaps hence why the talking to yourself? :o i can identify with that so you have my sympathy :D

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o

More on the Ronaldo to Madrid speculation

Oliver Kay in the Times

Guilty of a few untimely indiscretions during the summer, Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed that he has been forbidden from talking about Real Madrid by Sir Alex Ferguson and so, with the Spanish club to confirm their interest in the Manchester United winger publicly this evening, there appears to be a recognition within Old Trafford that retaining his services may prove easier said than done.

Predrag Mijatovic, the Real sporting director, has admitted his interest in Ronaldo in an interview that is due to be broadcast tonight and, while both Ferguson and David Gill, the United chief executive, have declared that the 21-year-old will not be sold, the manager’s words behind closed doors — somewhat misguidedly revealed by the player to, of all things, a Madrid-based sports newspaper — betray more than a little unease at the speculation emanating from the Spanish capital.

Real’s courting technique is tried and tested and, after the initial leaks to their chosen media outlets, Mijatovic has confirmed in an interview with Sky Sports’ Revista de La Liga show this evening that Ronaldo is a target. “Cristiano Ronaldo is a fantastic player and any team would love to have him in their squad,” Mijatovic said.

“The fact that he is already at such an important club as Man U, with the contract he has, shows what an important player he is. It is very early on to be talking about this.”

Whether it is based on intelligence or mere arrogance, Real are confident that they will get their man. Ronaldo announced on a number of occasions last summer that he wished to join them, particularly after being vilified for his role in England’s elimination from the World Cup finals, and even reached a verbal agreement whereby he pledged to sign for them if Juan Miguel Villar Mir won the presidential election — which, perhaps to United’s relief, he did not.

On Sunday afternoon, Spanish journalists camped outside Ronaldo’s Cheshire home and, when he emerged, they were told more than they might have bargained for. “I know of the interest in me from Real Madrid, but I can’t say anything about it,” the player said. “I had two conversations on Saturday, with Carlos Queiroz [the assistant manager] and Alex Ferguson, and they banned me from talking about Real Madrid. I had to understand them, as I don’t want to have any problems at United.”

redrus

Wednesday 31st January 2007

Quotes, squads, weather etc.

Fergie:

"I'm echoing what I said after the Arsenal game - there are no more warnings now The only way we're going to do it is by saying 'this game is going to be won and then we can move the next one'. It won't be easy against Watford because they'll work hard and we need to keep our foot on the pedal.

"We’ll give someone a hiding at some stage, I think everyone’s been saying that for quite a bit. We’ll score a lot of goals in one or two games. The players certainly look as though they’re enjoying it at the moment. Their training sessions are great and they’re playing well. They’re getting about the game with great gusto, great determination and team spirit.

"The important things are: one, we keep our consistency going because we are playing well; two: we don’t take anything for granted because it can come back and bite you; and three: we make sure we enjoy it."

Talking about Watford manager Aidy Boothroyd:

"His team mirrors the way he works. It won’t be easy because they’ll work hard and they’ll fight. We have to make sure we keep the level of our game up. We need to keep our foot on the pedal, go for it, and see if we can get the three points."

Watford Assistant Manager, Keith Burkinshaw:

"I've won at Old Trafford before, in the FA Cup as well. It is terrific when you do it. I was at Newcastle as first-team coach and everyone remembers that game against Hereford that we lost.

"The following week though we went to Manchester and beat them, with all their top guys. I believe it was the last time Newcastle won at Old Trafford.

"It is a great, great thrill if you can do that. They are a big club and it's a massive audience and you are up against all that but top clubs do it on the odd occasion and it is a great feeling."

More:

"Rooney is an exceptional talent and that goal he scored reminded me of the one Glenn scored at Watford.

"The thing about a goal like that is that you have got to see it early enough and he was the only one in the arena that saw it early. The goalkeeper was 6ft 5ins - unbelievable.

"You prepare the players as best you can against players like that. You have to defend as well as you can but the fact of the matter is that if you have a genius in there they can do things that get you a goal."

Remembering the meeting earlier this year:

"Darius Henderson had a great chance to put us 2-1 up and about 60 seconds later they got a goal through Giggs. The one thing about lot is that they never give below their absolute maximum.

"Arsenal, when they came here, didn't over-run us either. We had chances and they were delighted when they got a late goal to win it.

"The confidence is there and I believe we can do something up there. The word relegation is never talked about here."

Jordan Stewart (Watford player):

"It will be a great moment for me and my family also. I can't speak for anybody else but I don't fear any team. Everyone knows they are a great team and it is going to be hard but we are going to try to impose ourselves on them, get in their faces and make it a battle. Great teams still have weaknesses so we will try to work on those."

PA:

Louis Saha will miss Manchester United's Premiership encounter with Watford after failing to recover from a knee injury.

Sir Alex Ferguson had hoped the French striker would be available to face the rock bottom Hornets - but Saha will only return to training in the morning and has an outside chance of making Sunday's trip to Tottenham.

Wayne Rooney was due to be among the substitutes but may start after his two-goal salvo against Portsmouth at the weekend, while Cristiano Ronaldo returns to the squad after a brief break in Dubai.

Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster is ineligible for the trip to face his parent club.

Richard Lee is set to step in as the Premiership's bottom side take on the leaders at Old Trafford. Striker Darius Henderson missed training sessions with an ankle problem but should feature and defender Malky Mackay is expected to shrug off a calf niggle.

Centre-back Danny Shittu (ankle) remains a doubt and midfielder Gavin Mahon is still being troubled by a calf problem so may remain sidelined.

BBC:

Manchester United striker Louis Saha misses out with a knee injury so Wayne Rooney, who was due to be among the substitutes, may start.

Cristiano Ronaldo returns to the squad after a brief break in Dubai.

Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster - on loan from United - is ineligible so Richard Lee is set to step in.

Darius Henderson (ankle) and Malky Mackay (calf) are expected to be fit but Danny Shittu (ankle) and Gavin Mahon (calf) are doubts.

Man Utd squad: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre, O'Shea, Evra, Heinze, Park, Fletcher, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Richardson, Ronaldo, Rooney, Larsson, Solskjaer.

Watford squad: Lee, Chamberlain, Mariappa, Mackay, DeMerit, Stewart, Smith, Francis, Bangura, McNamee, Bouazza, Henderson, Powell, Doyley, Kabba, Ashikodi, Shittu, Mahon, Priskin.

BBC Weather:

Should be dry, at round 10°C at kick off time.

redrus

BITS AND BOBS

redissue

Wednesday 31st January 2007

Bale, Hargreaves, Paolucci, Shringham, Youth team.

The Guardian report that Gareth Bale is likely to stay with Southampton:

'Bale visited Tottenham this month and is understood to have been impressed but has resolved to continue his development at Southampton for the next four months. He may have a larger range of teams to choose from over the summer. Arsenal's manager, Arsène Wenger, is an admirer but said last week he did not need a left-back at this stage and saw him as too expensive.

United were unwilling to match Spurs' offer, £10m with £6m up front and the rest as add-ons. But Bale is thought to prefer United and hopes they will renew interest once the season ends. The Wales international will have a year left on his contract this summer and has rejected the offer of an extension for a further season.'

* The Daily Mail report that Spurs have enquired about signing Teddy Sheringham. This could depend on a potential move for Mido to the Divs.

* Owen Hargreaves has been named Nationwide England player of the year

* Sky Sports claim that United are tracking Juve's Michele Paolucci:

'Paolucci has a deal at the Stadio Delle Alpi until 2009, but could be released early should United come calling

"My future? I have a contract with Juve until 2009," Paolucci told Corriere dello Sport.

But asked about rumours linking him with a possible move to Old Trafford, Paolucci said: "I knew something. There would be a possibility to free myself early.

"I wait on Juve, but should Manchester call I wouldn't have to think for more than a minute."

* The Youth team are through to the FA Youth Cup sixth round after beating Crystal Palace 2-0 at Ewen Fields.

redrus

Whats the point in swapping one for another. When you can have both, thats what we should ........... :D:o

Xavi aware of United interest

By Mark Kendall - Created on 31 Jan 2007

Barcelona schemer Xavi has confirmed Manchester United's interest in him and has even acknowledged the possibility of a potential swap deal between the two clubs involving Cristiano Ronaldo.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is a firm admirer of the Barca playmaker who is one of the most gifted and consistent midfielders in Spanish football.

Ferguson has made little secret of his desire to strengthen his midfield stable with Owen Hargreaves recognised as his primary target.

However, with Bayern Munich doing everything in their powers to complicate a deal for Hargreaves, United appear to have explored other avenues.

Xavi, who turned 27 this week, insists the Premiership giants have made tentative enquiries to his agent, but claims there have not been any official talks between the two clubs.

"It's certain that they (Manchester United) have contacted my agent Ivan Corretja, but I have a contract with Barcelona and if United want something to happen they would have to get in contact with my club," he told Barca TV.

"In England there are rumours about a possible swap involving Ronaldo and me, but I don't know what has been said between the clubs."

Barca, along with arch rivals Real Madrid, are known to be monitoring the progress of Ronaldo and Camp Nou supremo Frank Rijkaard publicly confirmed his liking for the Portuguese international on Wednesday.

Although Ferguson has made it clear he has no intention of entertaining offers for his skilful young winger, the possibility of securing Xavi in part exchange could prove tempting if his hand is forced by Ronaldo and his agent in the future.

redrus

This from an Aston Villa site....!

Alan Smith at Bodymoor for fitness test?

Wednesday, 31 January 2007

It's all rumours right now but according to more than one website Manchester United player Alan Smith is at Bodymoor Heath for a fitness test.

Apparently he was also seen at Villa Park earlier in the day so the numbers add up, but how true this is we may never know.

Aston Villa had a bid for Smith accepted when he was at Leeds but the player turned it down. At the time I suggested it was because he had played for the previous incumbent before and wasn't stupid enough to do it again. Maybe I was right!

Well, we're still waiting for confirmation on the Shaun Maloney rumour and someone has said that the Freddy Adu rumour we mentioned earlier might not be as ridiculous as I had thought.

As and when I hear you'll hear. that's if I'm not walking to the fridge to get a beer.

I'd not be happy about this. Alan is a good player who really needs a run out. He'll play anywhere and run all day for you.

He is far far better than John O'pie....!

redrus

saw the Ronaldo interview on MUTV (yeh it manage to creep into my cable TV!!)...anyhow he admitted Arsenal is a team to be feared.... :o

says impossible to be sure who can win the EPL :D ......some confidence :D

saw the Ronaldo interview on MUTV (yeh it manage to creep into my cable TV!!)...anyhow he admitted Arsenal is a team to be feared.... :D

says impossible to be sure who can win the EPL :D ......some confidence :D

If there was ever anyone that oozed confidence, its Ronny....!

Must have been edited.... :o

redrus

saw the Ronaldo interview on MUTV (yeh it manage to creep into my cable TV!!)...anyhow he admitted Arsenal is a team to be feared.... :D

says impossible to be sure who can win the EPL :D ......some confidence :bah:

redrus

edited?? hahaha by the ManU TV to make themselves look less confident?? or do you mean it has already been edited to sound more optimistic :D

will give the boy credit for recognising talent and admitting it when he sees it :D

says impossible to be sure who can win the EPL :D ......some confidence :bah:

redrus

edited?? hahaha by the ManU TV to make themselves look less confident?? or do you mean it has already been edited to sound more optimistic :D

will give the boy credit for recognising talent and admitting it when he sees it :bah:

LOL, watch out Mig, I'm startin to think you're funny....! :D

redrus

LOL, watch out Mig, I'm startin to think you're funny....! :D

redrus

you watch out too cos im startin to think you might have picked up something from the aussies :D learning to be able to laugh at themselves is a good thing....definitely something we all should pick up from the assies...they do such a good job of it :D

G'day too all the aussies out there :D

cheers mate :bah:

ohhh manU has something like a football rolling around. just to stay on topic :o

<<goes and hides in her Arsenal thread..oops blog>> :bah:

LAST NIGHT’S MATCH REPORTS

redissue

Thursday 1st February 2007

Views from the broadsheets.

The Guardian:

Manchester United have the air of a team in complete control of their own destiny, so a side of Watford's limitations were always going to struggle in a contest their manager Aidy Boothroyd had likened to "Muhammad Ali against Jimmy Krankie".

The Premiership's bottom club have plenty of fight but precious little class and, despite punching so far above their weight for the early part of last night, they were suitably seen off with the ease of someone swatting away a bothersome fly.

The gulf between the sides was accurately reflected by the margin of victory and a perfectionist such as Sir Alex Ferguson was entitled to muse whether his side should have won by a more handsome margin.

The paradox was that for long spells a reconfigured United team were conspicuously short of their exhilarating best. Faced by such limited opposition, they flickered only sporadically for the opening hour.

When they raised a head of steam, however, it was with devastating effect, scoring three times in 10 second-half minutes to transform a stodgy evening into their most resounding victory since winning by the same margin at Bolton in October.

[before that] Ferguson could be seen getting increasingly agitated in the dug-out, all arms and larynx as he chastised Richardson for slashing a shot into the Stretford End. It is an oddity of United's season that Ferguson has so often been frustrated by the frequency with which his players have squandered scoring chances.

At times last night his attackers were guilty of being too elaborate while on other occasions, with Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes among those rested, they were guilty of carelessness with their final ball.

John O'Shea is a diligent worker but it is nights like these when it becomes apparent how crucial Scholes is to United's chances of holding off Chelsea's challenge at the top of the table.

This time last season United were 15 points behind Chelsea and the frustrations of their crowd were dangerously close to intolerable. That seemed but a distant memory last night as Rooney, Ronaldo et al walked off the pitch to a standing ovation.

The Times:

Alex Ferguson had declared beforehand that his Manchester United team were “going to give someone a hammering” and so, ultimately, it proved.

Maybe it was not quite as one-sided as Adrian Boothroyd, his Watford counterpart, had predicted when he likened it to a boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Jimmy Krankie, but it was a cruel mismatch all the same.

It took three goals in 11 second-half minutes to turn an uncomfortable evening into a rout for United, but that brief purple patch underlined where each of these teams is headed this season.

If there was something tragi-comic about the first two goals, a penalty converted by Cristiano Ronaldo and an own goal by Lloyd Doyley, the third and fourth, from Henrik Larsson and Wayne Rooney, showed both the attacking flair that has kept United six points clear of Chelsea.

United’s outstanding players, Ronaldo and Rooney, were born to play at the very highest level and it was the sight of those two arresting talents in full flow that led Boothroyd afterwards to suggest that Watford had been beaten by a team that “might possibly be the best in the world at the moment”.

Such an assessment sounded rather excessive — particularly based on last night’s line-up, which included John O’Shea, Kieran Richardson and an out-of-sorts Ole Gunnar Solskjaer — but this was United’s nineteenth victory in 25 Premiership matches this season, a record that stands up to any kind of scrutiny and leaves them margin for error as they head for a series of awkward away assignments that start against Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Sunday afternoon.

Independent:

Alex Ferguson may soon forget the frustration of attempting to improve his squad with Owen Hargreaves and Gareth Bale this month if Rooney, instrumental in all four goals as United eventually stamped style and superiority on basement club Watford, maintains the form and exuberance that has coursed through his veins since breaking his barren spell at the Emirates Stadium 10 days ago.

There was another delicate chip into the Stretford End goal last night for the England striker, another mesmerising display from Cristiano Ronaldo, but it was the ease with which United restored confidence and winning ways following the late collapse at Arsenal in their last League outing that strengthened Ferguson's conviction in the championship credentials of his existing squad.

Prior to the arrival of Aidy Boothroyd's spirited but limited team the United manager ordered 12 wins from the 14 remaining Premiership fixtures to claim a first title in four seasons - now they seek 11. The only downside is they will not all be as simple as this.

The United manager maintained his policy of rotating, granting Gabriel Heinze, John O'Shea and Kieran Richardson first starts of 2007 and resting Henrik Larsson on the bench for the first time since his loan move from Helsingborg, and though Watford's priority was clearly to contain the League leaders their task proved a thankless one.

Telegraph:

Alex Ferguson and Aidy Boothroyd can agree on one thing; they both require 11 victories to achieve their respective goals of winning the championship and avoiding the Championship.

It is a tribute to Watford's resilience and appetite for work that they have yet to be completely humiliated this season. Last night's result matched their worst of the campaign, a 4-0 reverse in the equally unforgiving surroundings of Stamford Bridge.

Afterwards, Ferguson, who has a great liking for Boothroyd, sounded almost pleased that Watford had not been completely humbled. It might have been an attempt at kindness or to build the game up into something it was not but the match programme described Watford as "buoyant".

Even after a couple of recent victories, they came to Old Trafford with the kind of buoyancy experienced by the Titanic an hour after the iceberg struck while the sale of Ashley Young tended to suggest Boothroyd was preparing the lifeboats.

As he proved for Aston Villa at St James' Park last night, Young did at least have the potential to score. The closest Watford came was a cross from Chris Powell – who at the age of 37 found himself pressed into service as a midfielder – that landed on Tomasz Kuszczak's post.

Boothroyd likened this contest to San Marino going to war with the United States but it took a while for them to capitulate. Until Lloyd Doyley headed into his own net, when the game was an hour old, Watford had conceded only one and that was to an unnecessary penalty. Then came the deluge.

United (4-4-2):

Kuszczak; Neville, Ferdinand, Vidic (Silvestre 76), Heinze; Ronaldo, O'Shea, Carrick (Brown 75), Richardson; Rooney, Solskjaer (Larsson 65).

Subs: Van der Sar (g), Park.

Booked: Vidic, Heinze.

Watford (4-5-1):

Lee; Mariappa, Doyley, DeMerit, Stewart; Smith (Williamson 73), Francis, Bangura, Powell (Hoskins 61), Bouazza; Henderson (Kabba 77).

Subs: Chamberlain (g), McNamee.

Booked: DeMerit, Henderson.

redrus

LARSSON'S CHUFFED

redissue

Friday 2nd February 2007

He's 'loving every minute'

Larsson on his loan spell so far.

'At my age, I didn't think I would get the chance to play with players of this calibre again,' he said.

'I moved back home to Sweden last summer and more or less decided I did not want to go anywhere else, so when United came in for me it was a bit surprising and very flattering.

'I have been watching these guys on TV for quite a while and I just could not say no.

'Now I am here, I am enjoying it immensely. There is a great team spirit, which is so important, and I am loving every minute I get on the pitch.'

He's also enjoying the experience of playing with Ronaldo and Rooney. On his goal on Wednesday he said: 'It was a great ball,' said Larsson.

'I thought Wayne was going to hit it - but at the last second, he slid the ball through. I got a good first touch and I just managed to push it past the goalkeeper.'

'I have always said it is easy to play with great players - and they are great players,' he said.

'It's frightening to think they can only get better, because both are already up at such a high level.'It is up to them how good they want to be - there is no limit.'

redrus

SQUAD DEPTH TO BE TESTED

redissue

Friday 2nd February 2007

Every player will have his chance

Ferguson has said to expect more starts from Richardson, Fletcher and O'Pie as the season draws to a close.

"The idea is to make sure all the squad have some football behind them," he said. "We did it over the Christmas period, and the lads are starting to get some miles on the clock - which is important. When it comes to the busy period in March and April these players will play their part for us, no question about that."

What fookin depth......!!!!!!

redrus

RONALDO WARY OF DIPPERS

redissue

Friday 2nd February 2007

But not for the obvious reasons

Cristiano Ronaldo still thinks that Liverpool can mount a serious title challenge this season.

He said: "If we had won against Arsenal, then the race for the title would have been between us and Chelsea.

"But Liverpool are coming strong and Arsenal are coming on as well — it is going to be a very difficult race."

redrus

Rise, Red Devils!

Sir Alex Ferguson admitted for the first time in 2007 that we have harder away games left than Chelsea. That should not be a worry.

United are yet to face Tottenham (this weekend), Liverpool, Manchester City and most notably, Chelsea who have a lot easier schedule. Our away form hasn't been good in recent weeks so that must be a concern but Ferguson issued a rallying call to his players.

'We have got to be ready for the difficult tasks because challenges are what winning a championship are all about. We go into it knowing we have to perform to the highest level and if we can continue as we are the moment it improves our chances.

'In my experience we have never been handed titles, we have had to go and win them, and we have to do that again. Analysing all the games is pointless really. We have got a tough game on Sunday and if we get through that it is one more up the road.'

I fear we might rue those late goals against Arsenal... if we do not defeat Tottenham, it will be 'squeaky bum-time', to quote an immortal.

redrus

Bring a Bazooka says Evra....!

Afp, Paris

A bazooka would be needed to start transfer talks for Cristiano Ronaldo, the Portuguese star's Manchester United teammate Patrice Evra jokingly told a French radio station on Thursday.

Ronaldo's agent Sergio Alves was quoted by Wednesday's The Sun newspaper as saying offers for next season might be looked into if they came from a big club like Real Madrid or Barcelona.

However, Evra said that if Alves wanted to start discussions, he would do well to bring a bazooka with him.

"Any agent asking for a transfer request for Cristiano Ronaldo would have to come with a bazooka," Evra said.

"Sir Alex Ferguson would know exactly how to welcome him. Protective equipment would be needed before going into the manager's office."

redrus

SPURS v MANCHESTER UNITED - SAHA RETURNS FOR UNITED

From come on Boro.com.... :o:D

Louis Saha is pushing for a return to the Manchester United starting line-up for Sunday's Barclays Premiership trip to Tottenham after recovering from a knee injury.

The Frenchman missed the Wednesday night stroll against Watford but is now set to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the forward line alongside Wayne Rooney.

Boss Sir Alex Ferguson reported no fresh injury concerns and will take his full complement of players to White Hart Lane seeking to keep his side's lead intact.

Tottenham skipper Ledley King has been ruled out for another six to eight weeks with his bruised foot and will miss Sunday's Barclays Premiership clash.

Aaron Lennon was ruled out of the midweek defeat to Arsenal through illness but is fit, and Dimitar Berbatov could return following a groin injury.

Jermaine Jenas has picked up a knock to his ankle but it expected to be fit, while Teemu Tainio (throat infection) is still ruled out and Mido is suspended.

redrus

spurs game should be a cracker, i head out to get a flight too thailand so should be watching this game in a bar with my tilak.

i hope ronaldo does not leave but with debt we have the glazer muppets might bloody sell.

we have a very hard run in for the title all home games should be won, a win against spurs it will be down to 12 games 36 points with a 6 point lead.

all we can do is take each game has it comes like 99 year,and see what happens exciting times ahead.

what worries me is it is a super sunday game and we have lost 3 times on super sunday game.

FootyMAD's Tottenham Hotspur match preview

By Footymad

Saturday 3rd February 2007

FootyMad attempt to assist you with their form guide as Tottenham Hotspur take on Manchester United in a Premiership match on Sunday 4th February 2007 at 16:00.

Footymad preview

History of the Tottenham Hotspur v Manchester United fixture

Man Utd. face a trip to Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on Sunday afternoon, hoping to improve upon an average previous return from this fixture. Of the 78 games played, Red Devils have recorded 22 wins, and Tottenham H. have come away with 30 victories.

The most recent encounter between these two sides was less than a year ago, in April 2006, with Man Utd. inflicting a narrow 1 - 2 defeat upon the Spurs in a Premiership match.

For a detailed analysis of the head-to-head between the two sides, Click Here.

Recent encounters between the teams:

2006/2007 Sat 09 Sep Man Utd. 1 - 0 Tottenham H. PREM

2005/2006 Mon 17 Apr Tottenham H. 1 - 2 Man Utd. PREM

2005/2006 Sat 22 Oct Man Utd. 1 - 1 Tottenham H. PREM

2004/2005 Tue 04 Jan Man Utd. 0 - 0 Tottenham H. PREM

2004/2005 Sat 25 Sep Tottenham H. 0 - 1 Man Utd. PREM

2003/2004 Sat 20 Mar Man Utd. 3 - 0 Tottenham H. PREM

2003/2004 Sun 21 Dec Tottenham H. 1 - 2 Man Utd. PREM

Recent respective form guides

Tottenham Hotspur have only performed averagely at home, winning 3 and losing 2 of their last six. A total of 13 goals have been scored by the Spurs in those games, with 8 conceded.

Man Utd. have an average recent record on the road, picking up two good wins, but losing three, from the last six. The Red Devils's have a narrow positive goal difference over these games, with 8 goals for and 7 against.

Tottenham H.'s 33 points from 24 games sees them lie inside the top half of the table, in 10th position. Man Utd. are currently sitting proudly at the top of the entire league, having collected 60 points from the 25 games played.

For a detailed analysis of team form guides throughout the leagues, Click Here.

Current form guides: P W D L F A P

Tottenham H. 6 2 2 2 13 10 8

Man Utd. 6 4 1 1 14 7 13

FootyMad's prediction ...

The away form of the Red Devils has not been the best, though the Footymad panel sees them pulling off a narrow win on their visit to Tottenham H.. Away win

Sequence statistics:

Tottenham H. Unbeaten in the last 3 home games.

Man Utd. Not won in previous 2 away matches.

Last drawn game 6 outings ago.

redrus

Quotes, team news and weather.

FERGIE:

"I am glad he (Saha) is back. He is a fantastic striker. If we improve our goal threat we improve our chances and I think Louis does that.

"We probably have harder away games than Chelsea and we have to acquit ourselves properly in these matches. We should expect every game we play to be a hard one now.

"We have got to be ready for the difficult tasks because challenges are what winning a championship are all about. We go into it knowing we have to perform to the highest level and if we can continue as we are at the moment it improves our chances.

"In my experience we have never been handed titles, we have had to go and win them, and we have to do that again. Analysing all the games is pointless really. We have got a tough game on Sunday and if we get through that it is one more up the road."

About Jol:

"Martin is a talented coach. You only need to talk to Michael Carrick, who enjoyed playing for him at Spurs. It can't be easy for Tottenham with Arsenal above them. If they keep consistency of management it will give them a better chance. Martin has ambitions to make them better. You can't just do it in a year. You need four or five years to implement your vision of the club.''

On Ferdinand:

"I don't think there is any doubt he has always had a fantastic talent with balance and use of the ball, and his technique for a centre-back is probably the best in the game. The area in which he has improved in is his concentration," Ferguson said.

"He and Vidic have formed a good partnership and it will get better because they are young.

"I think I rested him for one game and I don't think the number of games will affect him. He is a strong athlete and I have been delighted with him."

Rooney:

"I think he has taken encouragement from getting a rest. We left him out for the Pompey game and I think that was worth doing from his perspective because it gave him the opportunity to realise how important it is for us.

"Even just an hour's rest seemed to galvanise him. He came on as a fresh player almost, and I think that was important for us. These odd goals he is scoring give me great encouragement that he is coming into his best form now.

"If he can get to that one goal per game thing then the odd goals and deciding goals make all the difference to our season. We haven't had that off him but if it comes it definitely gives us a massive chance.

"He is not a goalscorer who is going to stay in the penalty box. He wants to link the play and be in the box at the same time and because he is 21 he has not got the knowledge to do both things.

"The part we want to see the development in is where he starts getting these odd goals. It will make a hel_l of a difference to him as a goalscorer because he is a finisher, there is no doubt about that."

JOL:

"Chelsea have invested hundreds of millions on players but have a problem when Terry isn't there.

"They may have bought Khalid Boulahrouz, Mikel John Obi, Salomon Kalou and Andriy Shevchenko but that doesn't solve the problem.

"They are all good players but don't have the qualities of Terry. He never wants to lose and he is so important to them.

"We've realised we miss Michael Carrick. His biggest quality was to move play from defence to attack and win the ball. Because of him, other players played better.

"Tom Huddlestone has that quality but he has just turned 20 and he still has to make the next stage in his development."

A comparison for Lennon and Ronaldo:

"He's [Lennon] younger, he has less experience. Ronaldo, he's scored 12, 13 goals already. Lennon didn't. So, let's be honest. Look at the production: Ronaldo is probably the best in England on the wing. With assists, he's probably been involved in 20 goals. Lennon has probably been involved in five or six. But you have to see how many chances Lennon already has created. He's on his way to being, possibly, like Ronaldo."

O'SHEA:

"We are just looking at ourselves and we know it is going to be a tough game on Sunday and we have got tough games to come. But with the form we are in we are feeling very positive at the moment.

"You know what games are coming up and how difficult they are but we keep thinking after each game that that is another game down. Last time we won the league we went to these places and won these games, and that is what we have to do now."

About Larsson:

"You can see from the impact he has had and the goals he has scored already that he is a top-class player and it is a privilege to train and play with him.

"He gave the squad a little boost at a good time when difficult games were coming up, and it will be sad to see him go if he does go."

Tottenham new noy Ricardo Rocha talks about Ronaldo:

"He's unpredictable and can do amazing things. It's very difficult to stop him.

"I have to put pressure on him, not let him take the ball because, if he does, he's difficult to stop. You always have to have your eye on him.

About the summer shenanighans with Rooney;

"It was difficult for him but he showed he deserved to stay here and show his game.

"I'm not surprised how well he is playing. I know he is a great player and. even with all the pressure on his back. he is proving his value at all levels.

"We have many great players in the national team but Ronaldo is the icon of Portugal."

THE OBSERVER

If Aaron Lennon starts for England against Spain at Old Trafford on Wednesday and reproduces the form he has shown for Spurs recently, Martin Jol will, finally, let the merest smile cross his normally immoveable features. More immediately, the Tottenham head coach would like him to tear Manchester United to shreds at White Hart Lane this afternoon. He is not, though, one to get carried away about the flying winger.

It is not that the Dutchman does not rate Lennon - on Friday he spoke about him as being in the same class as Cristiano Ronaldo - it is just that, when quizzed about anything to do with his team, his inclination is to leaven his response with negative, downbeat mutterings. He is the Doctor No of football. He does not want to leave the impression of celebrating a Spurs revival prematurely.

Is Lennon as good as Ronaldo, someone wondered? Long, long pause. 'No. He's younger, he has less experience. Ronaldo, he's scored 12, 13 goals already. Lennon didn't. So, let's be honest. Look at the production: Ronaldo is probably the best in England on the wing. With assists, he's probably been involved in 20 goals. Lennon has probably been involved in five or six. But you have to see how many chances Lennon already has created. He's on his way to being, possibly, like Ronaldo.'

Elsewhere on the realism front, Jol knows Tottenham are seriously weakened by the continued absence of King, their captain, and, as good a job as Robbie Keane is doing in his place, they miss the calm control the England defender provides from the heart of the defence. Michael Dawson did splendidly against Arsenal and Ricardo Rocha, the new Portuguese signing, despite his slip to allow a goal on Wednesday night, is a solid replacement. But Jol wants dominance and strength as well as expansion. He needs a sound midfield voice and, contrary to what some think, the physically imposing Tom Huddlestone is not that man.

THE TELEGRAPH RECALL THE 5-3 COMEBACK OF 2001:

It's always rewarding to ramble through the memories with Sir Alex Ferguson and today's visit to White Hart Lane with white-hot Wayne Rooney and company threw up one of the richest. As he said at the time: "It might not have been good for the blood pressure, but I will be able to look back upon this day and remember it vividly for the rest of my life. Not many managers could say that."

The sense of experiencing something special has not diminished from that day, Sept 29, 2001, when United emerged from the dressing room at half-time 3-0 down, but rode home winners 5-3 with goals from Andy Cole, Laurent Blanc, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Juan Sebastian Veron and David Beckham. "I was almost threatening to get back on the bus at half-time," he said as the sunlight shafted in through the windows of the United Youth Academy at the Carrington training ground on Friday. "As we came out for the second half, Teddy Sheringham was leaving their dressing room when I heard someone say, 'Now don't let them score in the first five minutes.' We scored in the first."

He laughed at the memory, but today is about keeping United flowing towards the Premiership title, holding off Chelsea and taking three points. Someone has to score the goals and Rooney has struck such spell-binding form there could be diamonds on the soles of his boots. Sir Alex was a striker himself and when he talks about Rooney the words become a rhapsody.

"He's got wonderful feet, a great touch on the ball,'' he said. "He has always had bursts of scoring. The goalscorers are the ones who get one almost every two games. I said to him some weeks ago that if he could get into that scoring one goal a game thing - odd goals, deciding goals - it would make a hel_l of a difference to our season. It would give us a massive chance."

United gave him a rest recently. He was on the bench for an hour before Ferguson brought him on against Portsmouth, who were threatening to stifle their FA Cup tie. His two goals were sublime. He followed them with another against Arsenal and one more in Watford's submission.

"It was only an hour's rest, but it seemed to galvanise him," said Ferguson. "Those goals gave him encouragement and hopefully he is going into his best form now. He's not a goalscorer who wants to stay in the penalty area, because he wants to link the play and be in the box at the same time. When he drops into these positions and surprises a defender, you know it is a great contribution."

The final piece in the United jigsaw? "I thought he was a while ago. He's come up against obstacles in matches and he is overcoming all that. His goalscoring will make the difference. Everyone matures. He is a young lad [21] and he has fantastic enthusiasm. It's good to see young lads. They want to train all the time. It becomes a discipline they enjoy. It's great to see Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and the young players enjoying the discipline."

MORE FROM THE TELEGRAPH:

Robbie Keane became so accustomed to the consummate service provided by Michael Carrick in Tottenham colours that when the pair and their partners went out for dinner a couple of weeks ago, he would not have been surprised if his former team-mate had draped a napkin over his arm before handing round the bread, fetching the food from the kitchen and pouring the wine.

That is why it will be strange for Keane at White Hart Lane today, where Carrick returns for the first time as a Manchester United player, to see his old friend now at the elbow of Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Louis Saha.

Yet though his departure has forced Keane to adjust to several different kinds of deliveries from midfield, he is satisfied that the silver service to the top end of the pitch will continue now that young Tom Huddlestone has stepped into Carrick's butlering boots. Or as some besotted Spurs supporters call him, Tom Hoddlestone.

Keane says: "You could say he is a younger version of Michael, a young man who's got tremendous maturity for someone who's just 20. Like Michael, he is one of those midfield men who can pick a pass that maybe other players wouldn't see and, when you've got someone like that, it makes your job as a striker that bit easier. Tom can see a pass and deliver it with both feet and he's making that position his own at Tottenham. If he keeps progressing, keeps working, then I believe he will have a big future for Spurs and England."

For all his shrewd interceptions, killer passes and slide-rule mind, Carrick was not always appreciated by Spurs fans, partly because he does his best work so deep behind his own lines, cleaning up and keeping the play moving in a manner deliberately designed not to be eye-catching. United punters also initially asked what all the fuss was about, as supporters used to with Martin Peters.

Keane says: "When Michael first went there, people didn't realise that he is one of those players who breaks up a lot of things that normal punters wouldn't recognise or see but the manager would, which is why Alex Ferguson praises him so much. He gets the ball and moves it forward quickly, that is his game and people are finally starting to realise how good he is at doing that and how important a player he is for United."

BBC:

Tottenham's Ledley King has been ruled out for up to eight more weeks so he misses out along with the ill Teemu Tainio and the suspended Mido.

Aaron Lennon has recovered from illness and Dimitar Berbatov and Jermaine Jenas have shrugged off injuries.

Louis Saha is pushing for a return to the Manchester United starting line-up after recovering from a knee injury.

He missed the win against Watford but will replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer up front alongside Wayne Rooney.

Tottenham (from): Robinson, Cerny, Alnwick, Chimbonda, Lee, Assou-Ekotto, Dawson, Gardner, Rocha, Lennon, Ghaly, Malbranque, Huddlestone, Zokora, Jenas, Keane, Berbatov, Defoe, Murphy.

Man Utd (from): Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Neville, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Silvestre, O'Shea, Evra, Heinze, Park, Fletcher, Scholes, Carrick, Giggs, Richardson, Ronaldo, Rooney, Saha, Larsson, Solskjaer.

BBC WEATHER:

Dry and 9°C at kick off time.

redrus

BITS AND BOBS

redissue

Sunday 4th February 2007

Heinze, Ronaldo, Derbyshire.

* NOTW:

'Juventus coach Didier Deschamps is set to land Manchester United defender Gaby Heinze in a £5 million deal at the end of this season.

A pal told the News of the World: "Gabriel knows Deschamps is interested and he's a great desire to play at Juve.

"It's unfortunate the way things have gone at United but a move there will be a good solution."

* The Daily Star says that Jose Mourinho has agreed to join Real Madrid if they sign Ronaldo

* The Sun reports that Blackburn forward Matt Derbyshire says he turned down United to play for Blackburn.

* The NOTW report that Barca are trying to unsettle Ronaldo - a story we published on Wednesday.

redrus

Ronaldo wants new United deal - agent

20070204 12:34

Clubcall.com

Cristiano Ronaldo's agent insists the player wants a new deal at Manchester United despite interest from Real Madrid and Barcelona.

The Portuguese international has been in inspirational form for United so far this season, which has fired the club to the top of the Premiership.

His mesmerising performances have also been backed up with goals, 14 so far this term to top the United scoring charts, and the Spanish giants have both been linked with a summer move for the player.

Real tried to land the 21-year-old last summer and continue to monitor the player, while their arch-rivals Barca have been linked with a swap deal involving midfield playmaker Xavi.

However, Ronaldo's agent Jorge Mendes insists his charge is not interested in the rumours and that he wants to put pen to paper on an extension at Old Trafford.

redrus

Spurs 0 V United 4.

What a game, with a first half that really didn't live up to the build up/hype, the second half made up for it every respect.

The first half was marred by dodgy refereeing decisions for both teams. A foul on Larsson, a definite penalty turned down. A foul by Neville, a definite penalty again turned down. Then a foul Ronaldo, definitely not a penalty, given. Ronaldo dually stepped up and although Robinson was well off his line and, went the right way, the shot was far too powerful.

The second half was a different story, right from the off, United were into Spurs. Not like the first half when both teams were at the same pace. There was only one team in the second half.

Though, the boos for Ronaldo were even louder when the action resumed - the penalty incident had unwisely been shown on the stadium’s big screen. But undeterred as ever, the Portuguese winger raced forward and triggered a passage of play that brought United their deserved second goal.

The whole team played a great part of total team play today, to keep a clean sheet for first time since Villa a few months ago now, I think.

John O'Shea kept goal for the last ten minutes as ten man United kept a clean sheet after "VDS" had gone off with a broken nose.

Anyway, I'm rubbish at remembering all the facts so, I'll leave it to the pro's when they start coming through....! :o:D

Ronaldo (45, pen), Vidic (48), Scholes (54), Giggs (77)

redrus

United stroll at Spurs

By Alex Dunn -Sky, Created on 4 Feb 2007

Manchester United put on a scintillating second half display to put Tottenham to the sword 4-0 and in the process tighten their grip on a Premiership title that looks ever increasingly likely to return north after a two-year sojourn in West London.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men now sit atop the Premiership to the tune of six points courtesy of a trip to the capital that was very much a tale of two halves. The first was disjointed and at times ill-tempered, the second a masterclass in how to dominate the opposition into submission.

Had United not taken a lead just two minutes before the break when Cristinao Ronaldo dispatched a controversially awarded penalty, then the game could have panned out all so differently, but thereafter and there was only ever going to be one winner.

Whatever Ferguson said in the dressing room at half-time certainly had an inspirational effect as United found themselves three goals up inside eight minutes when Nemanja Vidic, with a thunderous header, Paul Scholes from close range and then with the piece de resistance, Ryan Giggs with a cool finish sunk Chelsea hearts.

United finished the game with John O'Shea in goal after Edwin van der Sar went off with a suspected broken nose and the Irishman even had the impudence to deny international team-mate Robbie Keane when through on goal.

Prior to Ronaldo's opener and the first 45 minutes had all the tension expected from a game of such magnitude but perhaps a dearth of the quality normally associated with champions elect.

At its epicentre was the man in black rather than those in red or white as Mark Clattenburg had to oversee a spiky contest characterised by penalty appeals and a bundle of bookings rather than free-flowing football.

Tellingly the first genuine opportunity arrived with over 20 minutes on the clock when after Paul Robinson had saved sharply at his near post to deny former team-mate Michael Carrick, Ronaldo reacted quickest but could only blaze over with the goal gaping.

Clattenburg's first major decision came when Henrik Larsson got on the wrong side of a cumbersome Anthony Gardner, only to find his pleas for a penalty fall on deaf ears. Later in the half and it was Pascal Chimbonda's turn to look incredulous after he was clearly held in the area by Gary Neville.

In between these moments of contentious officiating there was little between the two sides as Dimitar Berbatov's angled drive nearly squirmed past a leaden van der Sar and Wayne Rooney epitomised United's frustrations in threatening to combust in flattening Lee Young-pyo with a challenge than earned him a caution.

With the half set to fizzle out with a whimper, Ronaldo awoke it from a potential slumber when after cutting inside a flat footed Lee, he wasted little time in going down under a challenge from Steed Malbranque that was far from robust.

Dusting himself down and in the process pocketing a £400 bet from his manager, having now scored 15 league goals, Ronaldo confidently dispatched from the penalty spot.

After the break and United were mesmerising in their movement and finishing but Spurs were disappointing in the extreme, in being outclassed so comprehensively.

An overworked Robinson had already denied United twice in repelling efforts from Vidic and Carrick, when from the latter's corner the former delivered a fine near post header to settle any lingering nerves.

United needed just another six minutes, in the 54th, to grab a third when after Ronaldo had roasted Lee down the right his driven cross evaded Robinson but not Scholes - who poked home from close range.

Rooney then went close to scoring a beautifully curled effort after a fine move before his replacement, Louis Saha produced a sublime pass to play in Giggs, who paused, before slotting past Robinson in some style.

Tottenham will feel they deserved a goal of their own when Berbatov was twice denied by van der Sar's excellence in the visitors' goal but only the partisan would claim United were not full value for the margin of their victory.

United's afternoon was tempered somewhat by the injury sustained to their goalkeeper but one suspects it will be a happy dressing room that returns to Manchester, safe in the knowledge that the title is one game closer.

Tottenham Hotspur Team Statistics Manchester United

0 Goals 4

0 1st Half Goals 1

4 Shots on Target 8

6 Shots off Target 6

1 Blocked Shots 2

4 Corners 7

9 Fouls 17

2 Offsides 0

2 Yellow Cards 3

0 Red Cards 0

72 Passing Success 76.8

32 Tackles 24

62.5 Tackles Success 58.3

46.3 Possession 53.7

52.5 Territorial Advantage 47.5

redrus

Tottenham Hotspur 0 Manchester United 4

by Footymad

Match report from the afternoon away win versus Tottenham Hotspur

Cristiano Ronaldo was at the centre of another cheat storm as his first-half dive won Manchester United the penalty which began a 4-0 rout of Tottenham.

The game had been relatively even for nearly the whole of the first half when the controversial Portugal international broke into the box and went down under Steed Malbranque's challenge.

Replays showed there was no contact, but referee Mark Clattenburg gave the penalty and the goal knocked the stuffing out of Spurs.

They had got off to a bright start and seemed more than willing to attack the Premiership leaders early on.

But it was United that seemed more likely to score whenever they moved forward, and they should have done so on 24 minutes.

A Ryan Giggs corner was met by Nemanja Vidic and Michael Carrick forced a save out of Paul Robinson. The ball then fell to Ronaldo, of all people, just six yards out, but he blasted well over the bar.

Sir Alex Ferguson's men continued to press and should have had a penalty earlier than they eventually did on 29 minutes.

Henrik Larsson was brought down by Anthony Gardner in the box, but Clattenburg was unmoved. It seemed to be a much better penalty shout than the one which was eventually given.

However, Spurs had their best chance four minutes later when Dimitar Berbatov, returning from a groin injury, got across Rio Ferdinand and forced a finger-tip save out of Edwin Van der Sar.

But the home fans' optimism was to be short-lived as Ronaldo won his penalty and converted it superbly on the stroke of half-time.

White Hart Lane's big screens revealed to home fans that the winger had dived, and he was to receive a torrent of abuse throughout the second half.

But this only served to spur him on to produce a majestic display, as he began to show the form which makes him hot favourite to win the Player of the Year award.

However, it was Serbian defender Vidic who was arguably United's best performer on the day, and he was rewarded with a goal on 48 minutes.

He had forced a fingertip save from Robinson with a shot from the edge of the box moments before and, after Carrick forced another corner, Vidic was on hand to send a bullet header home.

Then came the moment of the match from Ronaldo that killed the game off once and for all.

His trademark quick feet were all it took for him to beat Young-Pyo Lee and race to the by-line where he picked out Paul Scholes inches out for a tap-in and the three points.

Ronaldo was replaced by Ji-Sung Park on 68 minutes to a chorus of boos - but he had done his job once again.

Berbatov had another great chance to reduce to the deficit after being played through by Tom Huddlestone, but he fired straight at Van der Sar.

The Bulgarian also tried to win a penalty of his own under a challenge from Ferdinand, but his dive was even more cynical than Ronaldo's.

With a quarter-of-an-hour left, Berbatov forced another fine save from Van der Sar with a header, but Giggs made it 4-0 moments later after latching on to a Louis Saha pass, making it a humiliating scoreline for Spurs.

redrus

Archived