Manchester United

redrus

Mig, you know you want us to win everything really... :o As an Arsenal supporter surely you're a champion of beautiful football..

This from the Independent..

Enforcer Gattuso awestruck by United's youthful verve

Milan have never lost to Manchester United but there was no suggestion of a superiority complex yesterday as they looked ahead to their Champions League semi-final meeting. On Wednesday, history appeared to count for something in the Allianz Arena. Milan's customary supremacy over Bayern Munich seemed to affect both teams once the Italians went ahead in the quarter-final. But, regarding United, Milan were thinking only of the very recent past.

Gennaro Gattuso sounded almost awestruck when he said: "United have some very big players, and they play well together. To score seven against Roma is unbelievable. Roma are second in Italy, so they are not a second-rate team."

The tie revives one of the oldest European rivalries. Milan eliminated Manchester United in the semi-final stage of the 1957-58 tournament when United were still reeling from the Munich tragedy. Eleven years later they ended United's defence of the title, again in the semi-final. And, two years ago, they beat United in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Milan won home and away then and made United look naïve, but two years can be a long time in football. "We are not as strong as the team was then and that is our problem," said Adriano Galliani, the club's managing director.

He was not bluffing. Milan may have five World Cup-winners including Alessandro Nesta, Gattuso and Andea Pirlo at their heart, but they are ageing and less potent in attack. In 2005 Andrei Shevchenko, then at his peak, and Hernan Crespo led the forward line. Now it is the 33-year-old Filippo Inzaghi, or the misfiring Alberto Gilardino. Ronaldo, Milan's form striker in Serie A, is cup-tied.

United are also older, but in their case it is a question of young men such as Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo being more experienced. Nemanja Vidic will be out of both legs through injury, and the big Serb will be missed, but Gary Neville, Patrice Evra and Louis Saha should all be back.

"In terms of the English teams left in the competition, United is the one that plays the better football," added Galliani. "As the sole non-English club left, we have a big responsibility, but it will not be an easy job."

If Milan are to defy United, Gattuso and Pirlo will be crucial. The pair have been in partnership for their country since they played for the Under-18s 11 years ago, and for Milan since 2001. With club they have won the Champions League, the European Supercup, Serie A, the Italian Cup and the Italian Super Cup. With country they have lifted the 2006 World Cup and 2000 European Under-21 championship.

The pair complement each other, Pirlo the passer, Gattuso the enforcer. "He has a lot of vision. He is creative," Gattuso said. "Me, I'm an aggressive player. Me and Andrea, we are the complete couple."

This is Milan's fourth semi-final in five years but Gattuso credited the team's spirit this season to pre-season adversity. They were initially barred from entering following the Moggipoli match-fixing scandal and, even after being reprieved on appeal, still had to enter the qualifying round. "We all stay together because it was very hard for us at the start of the season. We played Red Star Belgrade for a place in the Champions League without any preparation."

Galliani added, with an air of injustice not everyone would sympathise with: "It's a bad story, but we feel we deserve to be in the competition because we didn't do anything wrong. We're still wounded and we are trying to recover, but we are doing it the right way."

I presume you boys will be happy about this news. The diving, step over Portugese.................. :o:D

Ronaldo signs new United deal

Cristiano Ronaldo has pledged his future to Manchester United by signing a new five-year contract.

The Portuguese winger's form has been nothing short of sensational this season and he has been instrumental in keeping United in the hunt for honours both domestically and in Europe.

His form has impressed clubs on the continent, with Real Madrid and Barcelona charmed by his efforts for The Red Devils.

United were aware of the speculation, but were always confident Ronaldo would commit his future to Old Trafford.

The speedy winger signed on the dotted line on Friday and it is a remarkable turnaround after he became public enemy number one for many English fans following his antics at last summer's World Cup finals.

He brushed off the controversy following Wayne Rooney's dismissal during the game between England and Portugal to shine for United and manager Sir Alex Ferguson has expressed delight at the 22-year-old's decision to ink a five-year commitment.

"It is fantastic news," the Scot told the club's website. "It emphasises the point that Cristiano is happy here and that he is at the right club.

"He has a great relationship with the team, staff and the fans and he will go on to be one of Manchester United's great players."

Ronaldo added: "I am delighted. I spoke with Sir Alex and David Gill about my future and everyone knew that I wanted to stay.

"I am very happy at the club and I want to win trophies and hopefully we will do that this season."

I've been on an early Songkran with my son and hadn't heard this excellent news.. thanks Mr B.. :o In truth I was getting worried that Mourinho would go to Madrid and take his fellow countryman with him.. phew.. that's a relief..

The Ronaldo story in The Guardian:

Ronaldo can be the new Pele, says Ferguson

Portuguese signs new five-year deal worth £30m

Everything is perfect at Old Trafford, says winger

Real Madrid have refused to give up on Cristiano Ronaldo, despite him signing a new five-year deal with Manchester United. The Madrid press has long insisted Ronaldo will be joining Real next season and the club have made no secret of the fact that he is their No1 target.

Although there was surprise in the Spanish capital yesterday, sources in Madrid say Ronaldo's new deal at Old Trafford changes little - it is, rather, merely a strategy for Manchester United to increase his value in the summer. The winger's bank balance will be swelled by £30m over the next five years but nobody at Manchester United will surely begrudge him a penny if he can live up to Sir Alex Ferguson's billing as a footballer who will be bracketed with Pele and Diego Maradona.

"That is in front of him," said Ferguson after announcing a deal that makes Ronaldo the highest-paid player in United's history. "He is 22 and he has the same skill factor as Pele and Maradona, obviously. Pele played in a World Cup final at 17, which is extraordinary, and Maradona played in two World Cup finals and was the player of his era. But Cristiano is definitely getting to the stage where he is the best player in the world."

United's joy is Madrid's anguish after a concerted campaign from the Bernabéu to persuade Ronaldo that he could become the focal point of their team. So strong was Madrid's belief Ronaldo had set his heart on moving to La Liga that even Ferguson admitted last night to misgivings about the player's future because "they keep talking in Spain the way they do and unsettling clubs like ourselves". Ronaldo, however, says he never gave Madrid any promises. "Everything is perfect for me in Manchester," he said, showing off his new £120,000-a-week contract at the club's training ground. "I am at the right club and that is why I have signed. I have learned a lot here and I am very happy."

The response from Madrid was typically defiant, informing the Spanish media in private briefings that they can still persuade Ronaldo to break his contract. Franco Baldini, assistant to the sporting director, Predrag Mijatovic, was philosophical yesterday. "That just means he would cost us more," he said.

But United are now in a position to laugh that off. "I don't think Madrid have a care for Manchester United or anyone else," said Ferguson. "They put their net out for the best players in the world and when it [the speculation] goes on and on and on, you start worrying about the substance and the source of it. But you know that's the game they play because it seems to happen time and time again."

Bayern Munich may consider that a bit rich after Ferguson's pursuit of Owen Hargreaves but United feel so strongly about Madrid's scheming they briefly considered complaining to Uefa. "There is no point," said Ferguson. "I don't think it would do any good. I don't think it would matter to them if Uefa fined them."

Far more satisfying for United's manager is the knowledge that Ronaldo is tied to Old Trafford until 2012. "He is happy here and his family is happy here," said Ferguson. "He is at the right club. He plays in front of 76,000 people every week and the English league is the strongest in the world. The Spanish teams may have dominated in the early 2000s but the English clubs have gradually got above them and the form of Real Madrid and Barcelona hasn't been that good this season.

"Essentially there was no reason for him to think about leaving, other than that thing about people perceiving Real Madrid as galácticos or whatever the hel_l it is they call themselves. They have a pre-conceived notion of themselves at Madrid. Barcelona are a fantastic club but you can't say either of them are ahead of Manchester United. We never discussed these clubs in the negotiations. It was only about two things: does the boy want to stay and how much is it going to cost us?"

Ferguson thanked the club's chief executive, David Gill, for "coming into his own" but it is a major triumph for the manager, too, given that Ronaldo stated unequivocally at the end of the World Cup that he wanted to leave for Spain rather than return to England as a hate figure.

"David and I took him to dinner in Portugal and we stressed to him that this happened to David Beckham [after the World Cup in 1998] and that it would be a seven-day wonder," Ferguson said. "They were only booing him and, crikey me we get booed in most places anyway."

Very good news I must say... :o

Entertaining take on the Ronaldo story in "The Fiver":

THRILL-SEEKING SUITS TIE RONALDO DOWN

Before former US fuhrer Ronald Reagan began "ma$t**bating with a flag and a bible", as the Dead Kennedys famously yelped, he was an actor. Not just any old actor, either, but a really bad one who was the favourite thespian of one Jose Dinis Aveiro. What's more, Aveiro was so impressed by Reagan's roles in bonkers flicks such as Hellcats of the Navy and Bedtime for Bonzo that he named his son after him. And that, ladies and gentleman, is the true tale of how Cristiano Ronaldo got his name.

The good news for MU Rowdies fans is that the winger, who some claim is an actor of equal ability, today put that name to a new five-year contract that will keep him at the Trafford Devilbowl until [Fiver calls colleague from Big Paper for urgent assistance] 2012 [Fiver thanks colleague]. "I am delighted," hurrayed Ronaldo, not, curiously, before boosting his Oscar credentials by breaking down in tears and bawling "oh my gaawwwd, thank you all sooooo much ... Gawd Bless America". Instead, he merely added: "I spoke with Lord Ferg and [suit] David Gill about my future and everyone knew I wanted to stay. I'm very happy at the club and I want to win trophies and hopefully we'll do that this season".

And so the dazzling 22-year-old who's hit 20 goals in 50 club games this season on the back of an excellent World Cup with his country is unlikely to fall into the clutches of Real Madrid in the foreseeable future. Hardly a surprise, really, as despite all the rumours and promises being peddled by various Spanish interests, Ronaldo was always likely to listen to those, such as Carlos Queiroz and David Beckham, who told him from their own sorry experiences that leaving the Devilbowl for the Bernabeu is in fact a downward move. And we all know how much Ronaldo hates falling down.

The Fiver again on the Semi's this weekend .. :o

STORY ABOUT THE FA CUP SEMI-FINALS THAT WE CAN'T THINK OF A DECENT HEADLINE FOR

In 24 hours or so, Watford's players will emerge from the cupboard they've been hiding in since watching the MU Rowdies terrifying destruction of Roma and take to the Villa Park pitch for their FA Cup semi-final. Victory would mean emulating the result at the same venue at the same stage 23 years ago, which carried them into their only previous final. However, that was against a Plymouth team that was even more rubbish than it is now and still nearly won. For some reason, many pundits rate the rock-bottom Premiership strugglers as outsiders against the league-leading champions-elect.

"If we go out there and play one of those fairytale games," the Watford stand-in goalkeeper Richard Lee said, "then you never know." Sadly for Lee, the likely upshot of their producing a fairy-tale performance would be Aidy Boothroyd turning into a pumpkin, the team being served Daddy Bear's porridge as a half-time snack and Tamas Priskin playing in a perfectly-fitted pair of glass slippers. And they'd still lose.

"The most dangerous moment for us is now," said Patrice Evra, presumably of the imminent journey to Birmingham, fraught as it is with possible peril on the nation's overloaded road network, rather than the match itself. "After beating Roma a lot of people are saying we'll win everything now," he continued, "but we haven't finished yet. We must keep winning. Exterminate! Exterminate!" Actually, we added the last two words. Lord Ferg suggested yesterday that Watford have his "respect". "They have an honest bunch of players," he said, which is the second most obvious way in sport of saying that a team is really awful, the first being actually saying that they're really awful. Aidy Boothroyd, whose team have already lost twice to United this season, summed up their league encounters: "We've tried defending deep against them and we have tried pressing them and neither worked." Our suggestion: try staying at home and hiding under the duvet.

In Sunday's second semi, Blackeye Rovers will lose to Chelsea. "It's a one-off game and we will try and win it," roared Mark Hughes with as much conviction as he could muster. Chelsea full-back Paulo Ferreira has set his sights on the final. "The fact it's at Wembley is very exciting," he gushed. "It's something very big to aim for." Very big? It seats 90,000 people and has a circumference of 0.62 miles - it's ruddy enormous.

for the first time in months Im watching a ManU game :D

and guess what :D

watford have just scored :o

PS. alright alright...I spoke (typed) a min too soon :D now ManU just got another goal

Edited by MiG16

next 4 games will define our season, win against roma then watford will see us in fa cup final, and semi;s champions league, win against sheff utd and boro at homer in the league, mean's at the least we would be 3 points clear and 4 games to go..

or it all could go tits up,, i love this time of the season even if we dont win nought still love the reds,been there when we where crap and i have see the high's.

2-0 against roma tonight.

well 2 games down in the fa cup final, in the semi of the champions league.

now hope we can secure wins in the 2 home games. :o

our defence looked a bit shakey at times after rio went off hope can get gary nev,and vidic back for the crucial games comming up.

rooney top class yesterday.

And 11 goals scored, the perfect answer to the defeat at Portsmouth. I thought Watford made a game of it but there's no answer to our fire power at the moment. The only real downside is the injury to Rio.. if he's out for any length of time then our defence is in even more trouble.

Still, a good win, Wembley here we come..! :o

Haven't seen Red around this week, I hope all is well.. probably still celebrating Tuesday's stunning win :o

A couple of match reports:

The Independent:

Watford 1 Manchester United 4: Peerless Rooney's cup runneth over

Manchester United striker produces masterclass as two-goal blast ends Watford's dream

Manchester United do not lose FA Cup semi-finals these days, nor do they ever leave Villa Park a beaten side. So they will be at Wembley on 19 May, setting a record by appearing in their 18th final, which was reached in typically cavalier fashion.

Early on, a repeat of last Tuesday's 7-1 demolition of Roma appeared possible, but after Wayne Rooney scored in the seventh minute, potentially dangerous set pieces kept a spirited Watford in the game. The impressive Algerian Hameur Bouazza even brought the underdogs parity briefly and in the second half United's four attacking players tended to leave their midfield outnumbered.

Rooney's second goal relieved much of the pressure on a defence that lost Rio Ferdinand, who will have a scan on a groin strain today. Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic, Mikaël Silvestre and John O'Shea were all missing and further injuries would seriously hamper prospects of winning anything, let alone repeating the Treble of 1999.

If there is one statistic to encourage Chelsea and others, it is that United have kept only one clean sheet in seven games, a fact attributable to constant changing of personnel and the recently uncertain form of Edwin van der Sar in goal, as well as the club's traditional belief that the best form of defence is keeping the ball at the other end of the pitch. That generosity of spirit allowed Watford the equivalent of a puncher's chance, namely the possibility of exploiting the set pieces that would inevitably come their way.

"I asked them to come off the pitch knowing Manchester United had been in a game," Watford's manager, Adrian Boothroyd, said, "and after a slow start we did that. We had them rattled at 2-1, but they were too strong for us and we didn't take our chances in the second half." Overall, however, it was certainly not the humiliation that might have been expected for a team doomed to relegation and facing a side at the top of their game. Sir Alex Ferguson acknowledged the qualities of the opposition saying: "They've got good players who ask questions of you, their delivery into the box is very good but we passed that test. It's been a great week for us."

Watford's outstanding player all season has been the goalkeeper Ben Foster, on loan from United, so it was particularly unfortunate that he was ineligible. Richard Lee, the young deputy and a boyhood United fan, was kept predictably busy, though he must have been as astonished as everyone else in the stadium that there was a Watford goal to celebrate in between the favourites' first-half pair.

Rooney opened the scoring, thunderously, by taking Michael Carrick's pass out on the left and stepping inside the full-back Adrian Mariappa to hit a fierce shot past Lee, who did not seem to have time to set himself. Boothroyd, sitting in the stand, was immediately on the mobile to his coaches in the dug-out, though it was difficult to see what suggestions he could be offering other than a relevant prayer. But midway through the half, Van der Sar hurt his nose in a high challenge, opted to kick clear instead of catching and conceded a throw on the left. It fell for Tommy Smith, whose cross was met by the Bouazza with an inspired overhead kick that flew high into the net.

Alas, only two minutes later defensive fallibility ruined that good work as Rooney, switching to the right, found all the space he needed to take Smith's pass and lay it square for Cristiano Ronaldo to tap in his 21st goal of the season.

For a long period at the start of the second half, Watford gave better than they got. Bouazza was particularly prominent, jabbing wide after a long throw, forcing Van der Sar to touch his cross on to the bar and then racing away from Gabriel Heinze to win a corner. It was therefore against the run of play when United claimed their third goal, Rooney tapping in a cross by Smith after Clarke Carlisle had initially denied him. Harshly for Watford, there was even a fourth before the finish, the substitute Kieran Richardson driving in Smith's pass to conclude Ferguson's eighth successful FA Cup semi-final and the club's 13th in a row since 1970.

The Observer:

Rooney strikes down Watford in another show of firepower

Aidy Boothroyd's line about victory here equalling the shock of the moon landing might have needed a tweak involving Man setting up house on Mars if Watford, the Premiership's bottom club, had actually managed to knock out the Premiership leaders. Instead, the team whose warm-up for this tie was the midweek demolition of Roma in the Champions League reached the first FA Cup final at the revamped

United's eighteenth appearance in the showpiece event came thanks to a scintillating Wayne Rooney display that included two goals and allows United's fans to keep dreaming that the 1999 Treble can be emulated. It also means the neutral might hope that when Chelsea meet Blackburn this afternoon in the second semi-final, Jose Mourinho's men will prevail. That would set up the middle one of three possible meetings between the clubs that could decide the FA Cup, Premiership and Champions League - an unprecedented finish to a season that already should linger in the memory.

So pleased was Sir Alex Ferguson that he actually attended the post-match press conference. 'I'm very happy. You should feel the atmosphere in the dressing room right now. We've told Cristiano Ronaldo and Gabriel Heinze they'll see just how special it is at Wembley with all the fans outside waiting for them.'

The Portuguese winger began on the right in the same fluid 4-2-3-1 formation as Tuesday, with Paul Scholes in for Darren Fletcher and Patrice Evra instead of John O'Shea. That had Wayne Rooney on the left behind Alan Smith, a decision that had the best endorsement when the former scored after six minutes.

'I thought he was just out of this world today. Full of aggression and running everywhere,' added Ferguson. The opener came when Rooney turned Adrian Mariappa and let fly from the left angle of the area to beat Richard Lee on the near side, a result that should disappoint the keeper, who was standing in for the ineligible Ben Foster.

This presaged a sticky period in which United harried, were allowed too much space inside their opponents' half and forced Lee to miskick clearances. But, with their first moment of real pressure, Watford picked up some hope.

Hameur Bouazza, Watford's best player, hassled Wes Brown to win a free-kick. A corner resulted, from which Edwin van der Sar offered the first of various weak punches. The Dutchman was then involved in a mix-up with Rio Ferdinand that led to Watford's equaliser. Last week at Portsmouth a similar breakdown had yielded an own goal from the United No 5. Here, they got in a tangle that also involved Watford's central defender, Clarke Carlisle. This injured the United keeper. From the restart, Tommy Smith eventually received the ball inside the area and found Bouazza. The French striker's left-foot volley was impressive, but took a telling deflection off Gabriel Heinze.

That was in the 26th minute and parity lasted around 120 seconds. Rooney exchanged passes with Alan Smith down the right, then advanced and advanced on Lee. His pass, always meant for Ronaldo, bobbled off the keeper. United's darling was hardly going to miss from two yards.

This frantic start was evidence of the game's openness, which was great for the fans, but until Ferdinand's removal through injury five minutes before the break hardly the best for Watford's chances of defeating a side who just love to attack. Rooney, in particular, took advantage, offering a reminder of the buccaneering talent that has been evident only in flashes this season - a remarkable 50-yard diagonal pass around the half...#8209;hour that took out Watford's defence was particularly memorable.

Now came the restart and Watford's best chance. United at first struggled to adjust to the midfielder Darren Fletcher slotting in at right-back and Van der Sar still appeared to be troubled from the effects of Carlisle's challenge. Bouazza had a shot, was nearly played in by Gavin Mahon and then had a searing run down the left that frightened the rejigged rearguard.

It was Rooney, though, in what was his best performance this season, who confirmed the win with a finish just a little farther out than Ronaldo's. There was even time for Kieran Richardson to chip sweetly beyond Lee. Both had been put in by the excellent Smith.

'I'm disappointed because I thought we had a bit of a chance and I am a dreamer, but it wasn't to be,' was Boothroyd's verdict. If he felt his side might have closed down United a little better then he was not saying. Roma were also guilty of not pressing enough.

Chelsea, of course - still on for the Quadruple - will not allow any kind of freedom. Should they make it to Wembley, then the last two clubs to win the Cup at the old Wembley will compete in the first final at the new one. But they could well have other glories in mind.

The Telegraph:

Ferdinand injured as United march into final

Sir Alex Ferguson faces an anxious 24-hour wait to discover the extent of Rio Ferdinand's groin injury, after Manchester United secured a place in the FA Cup final with a 4-1 demolition of Watford at Villa Park.

Wayne Rooney (2), Cristiano Ronaldo and Kieran Richardson scored for United to ensure their presence in the first final at the new Wembley Stadium.

And their dream of a repeat of 1999 - when Ferguson's men won the Premiership, the FA Cup and the Champions League - is still alive.

Ferguson claimed the victory was as impressive as the midweek hammering of Roma in the Champions League quarter-final second leg.

"It was a fantastic performance; it was as good as Tuesday in terms of the endurance of the team, and the courage. The only disappointment was with Ferdinand being injured when we had to change the team," he said.

advertisement

Ferdinand had to be replaced by Darren Fletcher after 40 minutes because of a groin strain and Ferguson said: "Hopefully it's not too serious. He'll have a scan in the morning and we'll get the results in the afternoon."

Ferguson, though, was thrilled with his attacking trio of Ronaldo, Rooney and Alan Smith.

Ferguson said of Ronaldo: "It was his 21st goal today and he could go on to score 25, the form he is in.

"Wayne Rooney had his best game of the season today, he was absolutely fantastic. And Alan Smith has brought a breath of fresh life to the team. He is doing fantastically for us."

Edited by muckypups

thanks mr bo,, had heard that on red issue.

great news.

I've been on an early Songkran with my son and hadn't heard this excellent news.. thanks Mr B..

No worries chaps.

But now United fans (not pointing fingers at any of you) cannot say that Chelsea are guilty of buying the title and cups etc. Ronaldo's, Rooney's and Ferdinand's wages alone, are probably more than City's total wage bill. So if Chelsea are guilty of buying success, i would argue so are United. :o

I'm only jealous cos we haven't got that sort of dosh :D

build a 76,000 stadium fill it every week and generate enough income to be able to buy players.

sadly united have a huge debt to repay due to the glasiers,we do not have to much money to splash around.

great credit to fergie putting together a great squad that can compete with chelsea's wealth.

most of our squad is built around home grown talent.

Edited by nev

Ronaldo best in world, says Terry

John Terry has hailed Cristiano Ronaldo as the best player in the world after his Professional Footballers' Association double award nomination.

Terry has backed Ronaldo - up for both young player and player of the year - even though his Chelsea club-mate Didier Drogba has also been nominated.

"I could watch United just to watch him. He does things no-one else in the world is doing at the minute," he said.

"He's the best in the world. At his best, not many people can stop him."

As well as his skill, Terry said he admired the Portuguese's personality for the way he handled the backlash against him after his team put England out of the World Cup last summer.

"It was understandable after knocking us out of the World Cup, but he has done all his talking on the pitch," said Terry.

Ronaldo's team-mates Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes are also nominated for the main award, as is Terry's colleague Drogba, along with Liverpool's Steven Gerrard and Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas.

Wayne Rooney, Ronaldo and Fabregas are also up for the young player award, along with Tottenham's Aaron Lennon, Kevin Doyle of Reading and Manchester City's Micah Richards.

The voting, which takes place among the country's players, has already been completed, with the results to be announced on 22 April.

Striker Drogba has scored 30 goals this season and has helped Chelsea maintain their challenge for a historic Quadruple.

He has already helped Chelsea win the Carling Cup and they are still in the hunt for the Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League.

"Didier has, arguably, been Chelsea's best and most consistent performer this season - no mean achievement when he is playing alongside so many top-class players at Stamford Bridge," said PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor.

He echoed Terry's opinion on Ronaldo, 22, who has scored 21 goals for Manchester United this season.

"Cristiano is the most exciting player in the country at the moment - the quickness of his feet and the skills he possesses make you think, at times, that he is from another planet," added Taylor.

Manchester United are chasing another Treble and are vying for the league title and FA Cup with Chelsea, while the clubs could also meet in the Champions League final.

Midfielders Scholes, 32, and Giggs, 33, have also been influential players for United during the current campaign.

Arsenal have struggled this season but Fabregas, 19, has continued to improve.

Gerrard won the award in 2006 and has had another influential season for Liverpool as he tries to lead the Anfield side to another Champions League success.

Thanks for the post Seapok, my guess is that he will win the award.. maybe both.. a feat emulated by none other than Andy "You don't save those" Gray oddly enough! (Obviously a good few years ago :o )

Here's an article from the Guardian which I suspect has more to do with filling column inches than any real substance..but then again, you never know..:

Ferguson would accept the Chelsea manager as his successor

When Lord Ferg brings his Man Utd reign to a close Jose Mourinho would be a rightful successor.

Old Trafford suited Jose Mourinho on Sunday. During the FA Cup semi-final win over Blackburn he seldom budged from his seat in the dugout and perhaps he could get entirely comfortable there. Amid all the eddying rumours over his future it is rarely recognised that he might be the one who breaks the relationship with Chelsea. His desertion for the wealthiest rival in the land is unthinkable now, but Mourinho is the type who could brave the uproar and make a spectacular manager of Manchester United.

That vacancy might arise in a couple of years although Sir Alex Ferguson, 65, has learned his lesson and will not be stipulating a retirement date. The post could appeal to a Portuguese who has become attached to the culture of English football. The tradition just about survives in this country of letting the manager get on with his work and that must hold a special charm for Mourinho, whose embrace with the Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich on Sunday cannot have crushed every disagreement.

The assumption is that Mourinho will grow claustrophobic if he stays at Stamford Bridge, as other people muscle into the space that should properly be his alone. Frank Arnesen is already there to influence Chelsea's recruitment and Avram Grant is supposedly to be installed as director of football. While Mourinho was familiar with that sort of structure in his own country and during his fledgling days on the Barcelona staff, he is not enamoured of it.

This is a manager whose unusually astute judgment ought to have free rein. Just where in Europe might he eventually find a major club ready to tolerate that? Whatever else is laid at the door of the Glazers, they are no meddlers in sporting affairs. Manchester United's owners will be too busy servicing the debt to throw themselves into the scouting of players.

Though United actually made a profit in the transfer market last summer, thanks to the sale of Ruud van Nistelrooy and compensation in the Mikel John Obi dispute, the Glazers realise that there has to be investment in the squad if they are to protect the value of the club. The pursuit of Owen Hargreaves has shown that money will be made available.

Old Trafford can offer the correct environment and Ferguson, when he finally brings his reign to a close, would most likely accept Mourinho as the right successor. They are closer than might be expected. Following the triumphs of their clubs in the Champions League last Tuesday the Chelsea manager texted his congratulations to Ferguson for their 7-1 drubbing of Roma and the Scot replied in kind over the fightback in Valencia.

There is an affinity. "I like Jose, we get on fine," United's manager said. According to Ferguson, their occasional squabbling via the media is trivia that does not linger in the mind of either. He surely sees in Mourinho a version of his younger self. Ferguson was 41 when Aberdeen knocked Bayern Munich out of the Cup Winners' Cup and went on to beat Real Madrid in the final of 1983. At the age of 40 Mourinho brought Porto the 2003 Uefa Cup. He did better still the following year by taking the Champions League after eliminating United, but Porto were a club of greater means and standing than Aberdeen.

Ferguson recreated United, where several predecessors had failed, and Mourinho raised Chelsea to a level of sustained success they had never experienced before. Each has a restless intelligence and they also sought in management the fulfilment that evaded them on the field, even if Ferguson, who was deemed worthy of Rangers during Scottish football's period of rich talent in the 60s, was a vastly superior player to Mourinho.

Their motivation comes from a similar source and this season's rivalry is the struggle of an august figure aiming to keep his counterpart in the next generation at bay. Perhaps they are not so different in philosophy. United can dazzle and Ferguson, in that respect, keeps faith with Sir Matt Busby's era, but his line-up has also been very tough over the years and it used to be renowned for its unruliness. The Aberdeen side, including Doug Rougvie, Neil Simpson and Neale Cooper, was also equipped for a fight if need be.

That did not preclude a cooler concern with the science of football and Ferguson, with his interest in coaching, was part of a trend that leads to the sophisticated approach of the Chelsea manager and others of his generation. Mourinho, as an unknown, actually attended an SFA course at Largs.

Whenever he does walk away from Chelsea there will be opportunities for him in many countries, but a seamless transition from Ferguson to Mourinho is the most tantalising possibility of all.

:D Thanks for that Seapok..

Middlesborough tonight at Old Trafford, 17-15 BST/23-15 Thailand Kick-Off.

From The Guardian, Fergie expressing a view that I imagine most United supporters agree with:

Clinching the Premiership title alone would satisfy Ferguson

Having conceded it will take an "immense amount of luck" to pull off a repeat treble, Sir Alex Ferguson will be satisfied with his season's haul if his Manchester United side wrest the Premiership trophy from Chelsea and deliver the title to Old Trafford for the first time in four years.

With the Champions League taking a back seat for 72 hours and the FA Cup final a month away, Ferguson's side can look to securing the manager's ninth championship by opening up a six-point advantage over the London club if they beat Middlesbrough at Old Trafford this evening.

Victory might increase a little the pressure on Jose Mourinho and his players, who play at Newcastle United tomorrow. Having been reduced to a supporting role in the last three title races, Ferguson has emphasised where his priorities lie. "You start the season hoping you are going to win a major trophy and there is a possibility we can win none of them," he said. "With an immense amount of luck we could win three. But if we win the league, I'll be happy with that.

"I think Chelsea maybe expected us to be on their tails this season. I think they expected us to be the main challengers; Jose said that early on. So we have turned that around and they are chasing us, so I couldn't ask for a better position, to be honest."

Ferguson's belief has been bolstered by the easing of the defensive injury crisis that cast a question over United's ability to last the course. Rio Ferdinand and John O'Shea will return tonight while Gary Neville and Nemanja Vidic are close to full recoveries, prompting the Scot to suggest that fortune had shifted back United's way. "Any time we have done well we have always had a bit of luck," he added. " I know Jose was praying we got injuries and we got them, so we did him a favour that way but hopefully there's no more."

The player Ferguson can least afford to lose is Cristiano Ronaldo but the manager expressed concern that the winger's feud with Middlesbrough could end in injury to his star turn. Ronaldo has been at the centre of controversy on the three occasions the sides have met so far and the dismissal of James Morrison in the FA Cup replay for a wild lunge at him triggered an outburst from the Middlesbrough captain, George Boateng, who claimed the Portuguese will be targeted if he continues to embarrass opponents with his skill. "I'm fearing the worst myself about what could happen because we've got important games coming up and I don't think they'll be messing about," Ferguson said. "I think they will be aggressive towards him."

Real Madrid's director of sport, Predrag Mijatovic, says the club has not given up hope of signing Ronaldo despite the 22-year-old recently extending his contract at Old Trafford until 2012. Mijatovic admitted the new contract complicated matters but he would not rule out a big-money bid. "We never said he would come here but I must say we like players like him," he said. "It all depends on the club allowing him to leave and on the player's desire to join the team."

Team News from The Sun:

Manchester Utd: Rio Ferdinand, John O'Shea and Patrice Evra are all fit after minor knocks. Park Ji-Sung (knee) is still out, along with Louis Saha (hamstring) and Nemanja Vidic (collar bone), although the Serbian is expected to return to training on Monday.

Squad: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Brown, Heinze, Evra, Fletcher, Ronaldo, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs, Richardson, Rooney, Smith, Solskjaer, Cathcart.

Middlesbrough: Julio Arca has been ruled out with a groin tear and Abel Xavier (back) is rated doubtful. Robert Huth is available for selection and Mark Viduka has recovered from a stomach upset.

Squad: Schwarzer, Davies, Taylor, Woodgate, Pogatetz, Boateng, Rochemback, Cattermole, Downing, Viduka, Yakubu, Morrison, Jones, Parnaby, Riggott, Huth, Lee, Johnson, Christie.

Very good news if Vidic is getting set for a return.... :o

Edited by muckypups

The Independent:

Ferguson 'fears for Ronaldo safety' ahead of Boro clash

Middlesbrough have not regressed into brutes under the leadership of Gareth Southgate but there was illustration of their recent ability to rile Sir Alex Ferguson yesterday when the Manchester United manager claimed to be "fearing the worst" for Cristiano Ronaldo at Old Trafford tonight.

The United manager insisted he had not given a second thought to Ronaldo's prospects of claiming the PFA Player of the Year Award tomorrow, only the Portuguese winger's condition when he arrives in London following a running feud with Boro that has brought the 22-year-old vilification at The Riverside and left Ferguson concerned for the player's safety at a critical stage of his treble-chasing campaign.

Ronaldo has converted three penalties in three acrimonious games against Boro this season - in the league meeting on Teesside and two FA Cup quarter-final ties - with his involvement in the award of two attracting accusations of cheating from Southgate and his coaching staff. Their last encounter, last month's FA Cup replay at Old Trafford, ended with the dismissal of James Morrison for a wild lunge on Ronaldo and the insinuation from the visiting captain, George Boateng, that the United player had it coming for teasing opponents with his array of party tricks.

"That was very provocative and I'm surprised the FA didn't write to Boateng about it," said Ferguson. "It has set this game up for a difficult tone, that's the problem, and I am fearing the worst to be honest. There is a paranoia about the boy with Middlesbrough and they'll be aggressive at Old Trafford, but we had a taste of that the other night with Sheffield United - they showed their aggression and tried to intimidate us but we held up to it and played our own game."

United require four wins from five league games to secure a Premiership title that Ferguson claims would satisfy his lust for honours this season - "With an immense amount of luck we could win all three major trophies but if we go on to win the league I would be quite happy at that," he insisted - but despite the Champions League semi-final with Milan on Tuesday, he has no intention of removing Ronaldo from harm's way this evening.

Ferguson, whose warnings will have been issued for the benefit of Chris Foy, the referee tonight and when Mark Schwarzer was adjudged to have tripped Ronaldo in December, added: "I have not thought about leaving Cristiano out, because we want to win the league and we need our best players on the pitch."

A third victory of the season over Boro will restore United's lead over Chelsea to six points ahead of the champions' trip to Newcastle, and Ferguson has been further encouraged by the reduction of an ominous injury list. Rio Ferdinand, John O'Shea and Patrice Evra are all available for selection at Old Trafford, while influential defender Nemanja Vidic is due to return to training on Monday, just three weeks after fracturing his collarbone. On the downside, Mikael Silvestre has been confirmed as an absentee for the rest of the season, Park Ji-Sung is awaiting a specialist's report on his knee injury and Ferguson gave credence to suggestions that he has lost patience with Louis Saha's fitness record when he revealed the striker's problems reside in his mind as much as his body.

"We feel Louis is back but in his own mind he has to be 100 per cent fit," the United manager explained. "He felt his hamstring after the Roma game over there and now there is a cautious approach while he regains the confidence that he feels right."

Oh dear, if we get a win a tomorrow and I'm sure will, it will be down to just the ONE point. You shouldn't of got a point at all today, blatant penalty in the last minutes, but what ref will give a pen in the last minutes and face the wrath of Fergie? :o

Man Utd 1-1 Middlesbrough

Premiership leaders Manchester United dropped two potentially costly points in the race for the title with Chelsea.

United took an early lead when Kieran Richardson slotted home after Wayne Rooney had collected Paul Scholes' pass and rounded Boro keeper Mark Schwarzer.

But in first-half stoppage time Boro deservedly equalised as Mark Viduka's diving header beat Edwin van der Sar.

United struggled to break Boro down after the break and were indebted to Van der Sar's save to thwart Viduka.

If United had had any nerves about their absorbing title duel with Chelsea they should have been dispelled thanks to Richardson's third-minute goal.

Scholes' raking pass took Jonathan Woodgate out of the game to release Rooney, who wasted no time in taking the ball round Schwarzer.

Rooney's final touch on the ball was a little too strong, but it made no matter as Richardson stepped in to sidefoot home.

The Old Trafford crowd could have been forgiven for expecting an avalanche of goals at this point, but Boro failed to play the role of willing lambs to the slaughter.

Belying their mid-table position, Boro were impressive following their uncertain start and dominated for long periods due to their midfield control.

Woodgate was superb for Boro, with his reading of the game at times quite imperious.

As Boro regrouped United were indebted to some brave defensive play from Wes Brown, who first tackled Yakubu and then came across to block Stewart Downing's attempted cross.

Viduka castigated Downing for not delivering his cross more quickly, but when the England international picked up on the ball on the left at the end of the first half he had clearly learned his lesson.

Downing whipped in a cross to the near post and Viduka stole in between Rio Ferdinand and Brown to send a diving header past Van der Sar.

With United due to face AC Milan in their Champions League semi-final on Tuesday, Ryan Giggs had started the game on the bench, but Viduka's goal saw the Welshman stripped and ready to go for the start of the second half.

But it was Boro who initially threatened in the second period when Viduka bamboozled Brown allowing the Australian a clear sight of goal.

This time Van der Sar got the better of Viduka, spreading himself to make a good save.

United brought on Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, but it was Boro who next threatened as Lee Cattermole went agonisingly close with a powerful shot.

Solskjaer did get the ball in the net, but all he earned was a booking for unsporting behaviour towards Schwarzer.

And late on United might have concede a penalty when Dong-Gook Lee went down following a John O'Shea tackle.

"The injuries to Rio Ferdinand and Kieran Richardson killed us in the first half.

"But that was just the bad breaks you get in football, there is nothing you can do about it."

Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate:

"We wanted to have a go and our front boys were a real handful.

"They were some outstanding defensive performances as well.

"We showed real character after the worst possible start.

"We might even have pinched all three points and the longer it went on you could sense the crowd getting edgy."

Man Utd: Van der Sar, O'Shea, Ferdinand (Fletcher 46), Brown, Heinze, Ronaldo, Scholes, Carrick, Richardson (Giggs 46), Smith (Solskjaer 67), Rooney.

Subs Not Used: Kuszczak, Eagles.

Booked: Scholes, Solskjaer.

Goals: Richardson 3.

Middlesbrough: Schwarzer, Davies, Woodgate, Pogatetz, Taylor, Cattermole, Rochemback, Boateng, Downing, Yakubu (Lee 81), Viduka.

Subs Not Used: Jones, Huth, Morrison, Johnson.

Booked: Boateng, Rochemback, Yakubu, Cattermole, Pogatetz.

Goals: Viduka 45.

Att: 75,967.

Ref: P Walton (Northamptonshire).

well done boro, fair result, think it was stiff them not getting a penalty but i think the ref was unsighted and from the angle he was looking from looked like oshea touched the ball first from the side 100% penalty.

bring on milan.

not over yet points to be dropped by both teams.

ferdinand injury a worry hope vidic gets back soon.

have faith guys we can go chelsea and get a result.

I agree Nev, I think we're looking tired in the league and the injuries are seriously affecting us.. in the end, though hoping for a miracle late goal, I was almost happy with the point.. that was a stone cold penalty by O'Shea.

So, we have to hope that Chelsea slip up.. though some how I doubt it, they're on a roll in the league, and apart from Arsenal.. (and hopefully ourselves), I don't see them dropping points elsewhere.

We, meanwhile, are away to both Everton and Man. City.. (and Chelsea of course) hardly easy games at the best of times and now we're looking really stretched.

Let's hope a strong performance in Europe this week gets us back on track..

I'm sorry but what the hel_l is going on at the FA? 8 Man U players nominated!! Neville, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra, Van der Sar, Giggs and Scholes? what have they done that is better than their Chelsea counterparts? The answer is nothing! Can you honestly say Van der Sar is better than Cech? can you honestly say Evra is better than Carvalho? Can you honestly say Vidic is better than Essien (even as a defender?) Can you honestly say Scholes is better than Lampard (who has scored 20+ goals this season?) the answer NO!!!. Utter travesty.

Ronaldo secures PFA awards double

Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo has been named the Player of the Year and Young Player of the Year by the Professional Footballers' Association.

The 22-year-old winger is the first player to win both awards in the same season since Andy Gray in 1977.

The Portuguese has recovered from the controversy of last year's World Cup to help United battle for three trophies.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was second and Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes third in the senior award.

Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs, last year's winner Steven Gerrard of Liverpool and 19-year-old Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas also made ths shortlist.

Ronaldo was booed at the start of the season for his part in Wayne Rooney's sending off in the quarter-final match between England and Portugal in Germany.

But he has bounced back superbly and has so far scored 16 Premiership goals this season to fire United to the top of the table.

The winger said it was a big honour to be singled out by his peers.

He said: "It is a special night. It is amazing and a big honour for me to win trophies like this in the English Premier League. I am very proud.

I think he is the best player in the world and his season has been incredible

Sir Alex Ferguson

"My colleagues have voted for me and that is fantastic because the players know the qualities of players.

"I want to keep working hard and getting better because these trophies have now given me more motivation.

"This great team has helped me because when the team wins it is easier for us all to play with more confidence."

Fabregas was second and Tottenham's Aaron Lennon, 20, third in the voting for the young player award.

Ronaldo's team-mate Wayne Rooney (21) was also shortlisted, as were Reading striker Kevin Doyle, 23, and 18-year-old defender Micah Richards of Manchester City.

Eight Manchester United players made it into the team of the year while manager Sir Alex Ferguson was honoured with the PFA Special Merit Award.

Ferguson paid tribute to Ronaldo, who joined United from Sporting Lisbon in a £12.2m deal in August 2003.

"At this moment in time, I think he is the best player in the world and his season has been incredible," he said.

PFA Premier League Team of the Year:

Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand, Patrice Evra (all Man Utd); Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo (all Man Utd) and Steven Gerrard (Liverpool); Didier Drogba (Chelsea) and Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham)

Championship Team of the Year:

Matt Murray (Wolves), Graham Alexander (Preston), Gareth Bale (Southampton), Darren Moore (Derby), Curtis Davies (West Brom), Jason Koumas (West Brom), Carlos Edwards (Sunderland), Dean Whitehead (Sunderland), Diomansy Kamara (West Brom), Michael Chopra (Cardiff), Gary McSheffrey (Birmingham)

As far as I understand these awards Seapok they are voted for by the players, (no player being allowed to vote for a team mate) its not an arbitrary FA decision.. in addition the ballots are cast in January!! Which would explain why Cech was overlooked following his horrific injury and yes I agree, he is better than VDS. I think Evra and Neville are generous admissions but Vidic has enjoyed an outstanding season.. Scholes v Lampard; an even choice in my book but perhaps Scholes shaded the performances in the early part of the season.

Meanwhile, congratulations to Ronaldo.. a great season and a great achievement to win both awards... :o

This pretty much says it all... from the Guardian:

'Manchester United are still in pole position to prevent Jose Mourinho from making it a hat-trick of Premiership titles but they have picked a lousy time to begin to lose their way. Five points have been dropped in the past three games and the sense of foreboding at Old Trafford was so acute on Saturday that it was as if the club had surrendered any advantage.

Had Chelsea managed a goal at Newcastle yesterday the lead at the top would have been slashed from 12 points to one since John O'Shea's late winner at Liverpool on March 3. Happily for those supporters who watched United's least authoritative display of the season through their fingers, the scoreless draw at St James' Park meant that Middlesbrough's businesslike performance caused only superficial damage.

United's goal difference is so superior that they can afford even to lose at Stamford Bridge on May 9 provided they win their other three games. They have so many injuries, however, that nothing can be taken for granted other than that Milan should now be regarded as favourites to reach the Champions League final.

In total Sir Alex Ferguson has nine players, including his entire first-choice defence, on the injury list, plus a further dozen out on loan, at least three of whom - Jonny Evans and Danny Simpson at Sunderland and Phil Bardsley at Aston Villa - could have saved the United manager from the position where he may have to deploy a midfielder, Darren Fletcher, as an emergency right-back against the Rossoneri.

So much emphasis is given to the title race that it would be easy to overlook the impressive contribution of a Middlesbrough side who rose above Ferguson's strategic pre-match exhortations that Ronaldo would be kicked black and blue - "The referee was put under a lot of pressure," observed Gareth Southgate - and had the courage to take on United with an orthodox 4-4-2 line-up rather than packing their defence and hoping for the best.

Southgate was labelled "naive" by Ferguson earlier this season and, though nobody could use the same adjective to describe United's manager, there was a certain irony that this was a match in which the Premiership's oldest representative made two serious errors of judgment.

When, just before half-time, Rio Ferdinand indicated to the bench that he had suffered a recurrence of a groin strain, the logical step would have been to bring him off as quickly as possible. Instead Ferguson raised a clenched fist as if to say "grit your teeth until half-time" and within moments Ferdinand, reduced to a pedestrian, watched as Mark Viduka headed in Boro's equaliser. Closer analysis revealed that Wes Brown, who had a torrid afternoon, should have averted the danger but it was perverse for Ferguson to ask a player to try to run off a pulled muscle.

Equally bizarre was the decision to play the entire second half with Rooney on the right wing and Ronaldo switching to centre-forward when the Premiership's outstanding player would surely have been better examining the defensive attributes of Middlesbrough's young left-back, Andrew Taylor.

The last United side aiming for the treble were famed for their late goals but the present one created only two decent chances in the second half. Instead Middlesbrough seemed the more likely to score, denied only by some unforgivably gutless refereeing when John O'Shea brought down Dong Gook Lee inside the penalty area. When Ferguson scrutinises the league table today he will reflect that the leaders got off lightly indeed.'

As far as I understand these awards Seapok they are voted for by the players, (no player being allowed to vote for a team mate) its not an arbitrary FA decision.. in addition the ballots are cast in January!! Which would explain why Cech was overlooked following his horrific injury and yes I agree, he is better than VDS. I think Evra and Neville are generous admissions but Vidic has enjoyed an outstanding season.. Scholes v Lampard; an even choice in my book but perhaps Scholes shaded the performances in the early part of the season.

Meanwhile, congratulations to Ronaldo.. a great season and a great achievement to win both awards... :D

Yeah point taken Muckypups, I was out all day down the pub, so I was having a drunken rant! haha :o

Aaah, a day in the boozer back in blighty.. there are some things you miss out here I must say.. :o

Milan tonight.. United are 5/6 on to win.. which if you consider our serious injury problems seems over confident to me..

This from The Guardian..

Thin red line must protect United pride

There is something in Manchester United's DNA that means they never do things the easy way, and tonight's Champions League semi-final against Milan promises to test their powers of endurance to the limit. Never before has Sir Alex Ferguson's team gone into such a big match so handicapped by the loss of key players, with confirmation last night that the Premiership leaders will be missing their entire first-choice defence.

Ferguson's admission that Patrice Evra will be fit enough only to be a substitute, at best, means that United will go into their first semi-final for five years with a completely reconfigured defence already missing Gary Neville, Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand. Uefa's statistics show Milan have had more shots on goal in this season's competition than any other side, and Old Trafford will be filled with apprehension to learn a fringe midfielder, Darren Fletcher, will play at right-back.

"Thanks for reminding me," Ferguson observed ruefully when asked whether he was concerned that Wes Brown, so outplayed by Middlesbrough's Mark Viduka on Saturday, was the only recognised centre-half available. Ferguson has no time for self-pity and he stubbornly insisted he was "happy with the squad". Yet United, in his own words, are "down to the bare bones" and in the midst of "an injury crisis of major proportions".

John O'Shea, now regarded at Old Trafford as a midfielder, shared Brown's discomfort in the centre of defence against Middlesbrough, and a visit to United's training ground yesterday inspired only foreboding given that there were only 10 senior outfield players going through the drills. Evra was restricted to light jogging alongside Vidic, Kieran Richardson and Louis Saha. Mikaël Silvestre and the back-up defender Craig Cathcart are out for the season. Ferdinand and Park Ji-Sung await specialist reports and Neville, out since March 17, was not even kitted out.

The first question for Ferguson at his press conference was whether he had enough players to name a complete squad. "Of course we have," he responded testily. Later, however, he admitted it would be a struggle to name "an adequate bench". While Milan's substitutes will include the likes of Cafu, Alessandro Costacurta and Filippo Inzhagi, United's back-up options incorporate Dong Fangzhou, Chris Eagles, Kieran Lee and David Gray.

If United get past this richly experienced Milan side over two legs it will be a feat to rank alongside any of Ferguson's achievements, not least the 7-1 humiliation of Roma in the last round. Milan, are in their fourth semi-final in five years and have eight players who have at least one Champions League winner's medal and, in Clarence Seedorf's case, three.

Much of the build-up has concentrated on whether Milan's defence - derided as "dinosaurs" on the sports pages of La Repubblica - can cope with the pace and penetration of Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney. It is an overly simplistic theory, however, and Ferguson does not believe the average age of Carlo Ancelotti's back four (32.2 years) to be a major disadvantage to a club that prides itself on parsimonious defending. United's manager recalled Paolo Maldini's man-of-the-match display in Milan's 2-0 win at Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals. "He played the entire 90 minutes without making a tackle," he enthused about a 38-year-old he regards as the most intelligent defender in world football. "It's an art."

Ferguson's defensive resources are so sparse he was not in any position to start picking out possible Milan weaknesses, but he was as upbeat as he possibly could be. "I don't have any fears about it," he said. "I see the mood in the camp and it pleases me. I'm always looking for signs at this time of the year about nerves. But I see none. Yes, we have concerns about one or two injuries and you do miss players such as Ferdinand and Neville and Saha. But we also have important players playing. On Saturday we saw some anxiety and some bad decision-making in the last third. But no one was hiding. Everyone wanted the ball, which is a good sign."

He reflected that Fletcher and O'Shea - two players frequently maligned by United's fans - were outstanding against Roma, although he quickly pointed out that was a "once-in-a-lifetime" result. Nothing so spectacular can be expected tonight when, despite United's natural tendency to attack, the trick will be not to concede an away goal before the return at San Siro a week tomorrow.