Manchester United

redrus

Welcome back Mr red are you still in khonkaen mate?.

On the friclkin moon by the sounds of it. biggrin.png

Red will be around just long enough to see United plummet off their low perch like a poisoned parrot.biggrin.png

Derby Day thumbsup.gif

A very good interview with Van Gaal from the Indie

Louis-van-Gaal.jpgManchester United manager Louis van Gaal Jon Super

Louis van Gaal smiles an awful lot when the television cameras are switched off. He likes a joke too, but then the public face of the Manchester United manager is very different to the one he projects behind the scenes at the club’s Carrington training base.

This season has not been short on images of Van Gaal in confrontation mode in post-match interviews and press conferences – he admits he is “provocative” when entering the media bear pit – so it was a slightly awkward moment when a supporter event at Carrington to honour Barclays Spirit of the Game hero Jack Fitzsimmons this week was abruptly halted by the Dutchman noting my presence in the room as he spoke of his wariness of the media.

“I must keep an eye on him,” Van Gaal declared to his audience, before leaving the top table, pulling up a chair beside me and giving me a theatrical bear hug to prove that, really, he is not so fearsome after all.

According to those who work with Van Gaal on a daily basis, the jocular side of his character is rarely far from the surface, from the ground staff who talk of his politeness to the jokes with Mike Donnelly, the club chef, who will regularly inform the manager precisely what he and the rest of the United supporters think about results and upcoming opponents.

“I hope that all the people who work with me remember me as a human being,” Van Gaal says when we chat after the fans have left for home, delighted to have had an hour in the manager’s presence. “It is special here at Carrington, but I think it was the same for me in Munich and Barcelona. Whether it is like that, I don’t know, but I like people.

“When you give your fellow employees attention for what they are doing for us, it makes a difference. I am empathetic to the job and I want to be a human being where I work.

“Sometimes players are very fed up with my communication, but that’s what I do and they know how I think. But they know I am very transparent.”

Man-United.jpg
Wayne Rooney and van Gaal in action during a first team training session at Aon Training Complex (Getty)

Van Gaal is speaking the day after Diego Costa’s stoppage-time goal for Chelsea denied United a potentially crucial victory at Stamford Bridge and, while his mood post-match was highlighted by a spiky press conference, the 64-year-old is in good spirits as he participates in the Q&A session with supporters.

But in our exclusive interview, he is also prepared to discuss the issues which have stalked him in recent weeks – his future, criticism from supporters and former players such as Paul Scholes, and the question of whether the United hierarchy ispreparing to replace him this summer with Jose Mourinho, his one-time protégé from his time as Barcelona coach.

“I have not said that we have spoken, but he [Mourinho] is my friend, so there you go,” Van Gaal says. “But I don’t know if Manchester United have spoken with Mourinho or not.

“I can only say that I have spoken with [united’s executive vice-chairman] Ed Woodward and I cannot imagine that they have spoken with each other. I think that if they speak with another manager, they would tell me because our relationship is like that. But I think that, if they want to change, they have to prepare themselves. That is also a professional attitude, in my opinion.”

Having been a top-level coach for more than two decades, Van Gaal is pragmatic about the nature of his business, but he insists he is comfortable with the trust he has built up with Woodward and United’s owners, the Glazer family.

“If they are thinking that they want to replace me, they have to prepare and they have to enquire, that is what I think,” Van Gaal says. “But if it is like that, they have to say it to me. And I believe they will tell me if it is like that. I not only have a strong relationship with Ed, but also with the Glazers. I have a good feeling with the Glazers also.

“And that is why I am annoyed with all the publicity. I have been ‘sacked’ three times and now it is about negotiations starting with Jose Mourinho. The next time, it will be another [manager].”

glazers.jpg
Two of the Glazer brothers, Avram and Bryan, at a Manchester United game (PA)

When December came and went without victory and included Champions League elimination, Van Gaal’s position was the subject of intense scrutiny and the former Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach spoke of the anxiety experienced by his friends and family.

Van Gaal’s response since has been to go on the front foot, fight his corner and reject the notion of having offered his resignation, but although he insists he is untroubled by the prospect of having to do so, he admits he does not enjoy the “battle”.

“I am used to a lot of criticism,” he says. “My performances in the media are also provocative, but I have had to cope with the criticism from the first time I was a coach. For me, it is not any more stress or bother to have to deal with it.

“That is because, with the way I speak, my players are always protected. It is always against Louis van Gaal, it is never against my players, so that is a benefit of how I talk in the media.

“But do I enjoy it? No, because I am annoyed. I am very annoyed and there are a lot of people who know me who know that I am an honest guy and I will defend the good things and attack the wrong things. Of course, the Glazers are disappointed. Ed Woodward is disappointed and I am also disappointed because we are now further away from the top.

GettyImages-508930704.jpg
Louis van Gaal watches on as Chelsea deny United a potentially crucial victory at Stamford Bridge (PA)

“But you have to analyse what is happening this year. It is not normal that Luke Shaw is out of the game for a year, that [Antonio] Valencia, [bastian] Schweinsteiger and [Marcos] Rojo are also out with contact injuries. Last year, we had a lot of muscle injuries, but now we don’t because we adapted the intensity of the training sessions and added more recovery days to our programme.

“Contact injuries happen in any country, but we have been very unlucky this year. It is not normal that it is like that.”

The injuries experienced by his squad this season have been a pivotal factor in United’s inability to mount a serious challenge for the Premier League title, according to Van Gaal, with the club now beginning to lose touch with the top four and the prospect of Champions League qualification. But the flip side to the personnel problems has been the emergence of home-grown youngsters such as Jesse Lingard and Cameron Borthwick-Jackson and the eye-catching progress of Anthony Martial, the September arrival from Monaco.

Having given youth its head at Ajax, Barcelona and Bayern, Van Gaal insists he will always take the risk of trusting young players to grasp their opportunity. “It is always good that you educate your own players, in the culture of Manchester United and also the playing style of Manchester United,” Van Gaal says. “It is very important, but I have taken a risk in minimising my squad to accommodate young players because when you have a lot of injuries, you have problems. But now I have given the chance to Lingard, Borthwick-Jackson also, while Martial and Memphis [Depay] are also very young.

“You have seen Xavi and Iniesta, for example, I gave them their debuts at Barcelona. Also Thiago Motta, but they [young players] have to do it themselves.

“But when I leave, I cannot help them any more, they do it by themselves, and that is also very good because I am only a means to an end for them. They do it by themselves, but maybe I can be a very good means for my players.”

Having insisted he will retire from coaching at the end of his United contract in June 2017 – “I have promised my wife because she has helped me for 20 years now” – Van Gaal accepts that his successor, whoever that is and whenever he arrives, will reap the dividends of his readiness to turn to youth. But he also admits that United’s choice as the club’s next manager will have implications for the emerging youngsters.

“I hope people will look back in the future and talk of the young players as my legacy, but you can never tell,” Van Gaal says. “The next manager would also have to show the confidence in the younger players. So I cannot judge. If United, after I retire, hire a manager who does not give the benefit of the doubt to youngsters, it shall be very difficult.

“It is also very important for the board of Manchester United to look at the profile of the new manager. If they ask [for a recommendation as manager], I shall give my opinion and after that, they can do what they wish. But I never reign beyond my grave and, when I am gone, I cannot influence or contribute.

“It is up to the young players to take their opportunities, though, and the main factor in that is the player himself. “It’s here [he points to his head], but also his attitude, how he deals with negative things, because it is not always sunshine and hallelujah.

“You have to deal with a lot of things when you are a professional football player and that is not so easy. The talent is about technique and tactics and physics, but you also have to cope with a lot of other aspects and it is not easy.”

Now he is at the halfway stage of his three-year contract, the

future remains uncertain, with Van Gaal admitting he cannot claim that progress towards achieving his stated aim of winning the league is on track. “It is not a straight line in football,” Van Gaal says. “It is always up and down, also with other clubs. It is possible, but it’s a process that has ups and downs.”

The Dutchman’s belief remains intact, however, that he can improve the team’s fortunes and prove his detractors wrong, particularly those who once played for the club. “In Barcelona, the fans were more critical than everywhere. In Ajax, too,” Van Gaal says. “In my first year at Ajax, it was not a happy year for me. At the end, we won the Uefa Cup, but it was not a happy season.

Louis-van-Gaal.jpg
Louis van Gaal was believed to have been considering his future as Manchester United manager (Getty)

“I took over from Leo Beenhakker and we lost the first three matches, so what do you think the fans were yelling? ‘Cruyff,’ for a whole year.

“I have always coped with that kind of thing. Barcelona is a very critical environment, because the result and the performance is very important. In England, it is more the result than performance, only when Paul Scholes started he influenced a certain amount of fans.”

Scholes’ comments about United’s “boring” football, which coincided with the team’s worst run of form, hit a nerve in the stands and within the club, but despite the former Old Trafford midfielder’s close friendship with the club’s assistant manager, Ryan Giggs, Van Gaal insists he has no reason to ask his No 2 to step in as a peacemaker.

“No, I don’t think that I have to give Ryan stress in his friendship with Scholes,” he says. “I have managed all of my career, so it would not be good or honest of me to ask Ryan to say something.

“What Scholes is thinking, he has to think it. Every human being can give his opinion. I don’t bother about that, I think it is good. But my problem is when you create an atmosphere, a very negative atmosphere for somebody, so maybe he should be more positive.”

Until United reclaim their position as English football’s leading power, however, the criticism and scrutiny will rain down on every occupant of the Old Trafford manager’s seat.

67-Scholes-Getty.jpg
Paul Scholes' comments about United’s “boring” football coincided with the team’s worst run of form (Getty)

One defeat in nine games suggests a corner has been turned, with the performance at Chelsea also a reason for optimism, but as the name of Mourinho continues to swirl around the club, Van Gaal is focused on the football, admitting his players have one crucial lesson to learn if they are to achieve anything this season.

“We have to finish games off,” he says. “We have to develop and improve further because we played very good at Chelsea, but did not finish the game off. Already this year, we lost goals in the last minute against Newcastle, Southampton and Chelsea. It has cost us five points, so we must learn how to finish games.”

If United learn that, gain points and climb the table this softer, more light-hearted Van Gaal, who is convinced the sun is ready to shine on Old Trafford again, might just appear more often in front of the cameras as well as behind.

PAUL MCGUINNESS LEAVES MANCHESTER UNITED ACADEMY

Paul McGuinness has announced he is leaving his post as youth-team coach at Manchester United to pursue other ambitions in football.

The son of former United player and manager Wilf McGuinness, Paul has guided the careers of scores of successful young players since joining the Academy staff in 1992 and was in charge of United's victorious FA Youth Cup side of 2011.

In announcing his decision, Paul said: "It has been an honour and a privilege to follow in my father Wilf's footsteps and to serve Manchester United in a variety of roles for a total of 28 years.

"I have dedicated my life to each job, from player to education and welfare officer, to Centre of Excellence director and scout, assistant academy director for under-9s to under-16s and later under-17s to under-21s, head coach for the professional development phase and finally youth-team coach.

“I will be forever grateful to Sir Alex Ferguson for making my dreams come true and inviting me to represent Manchester United as a player and for the last 23 years as a proud member of staff.

"I have learned a great deal by working with Sir Alex and so many special Manchester United people over the years, especially my mentors Eric Harrison, Jim Ryan and Tony Whelan.

“I have so many incredible memories, particularly the FA Youth Cup win in 2011 and being asked to be part of the Munich memorial service in 2008, but I have especially enjoyed working behind the scenes with devoted colleagues, nurturing and coaching young players to reach their potential.

“To have seen 86 Academy players develop to make their debut for the first team and 23 to become full internationals has been thoroughly rewarding.

"I now have other ambitions I would like to fulfil in football that I can only experience outside the club.

“I am extremely grateful to all the staff at Carrington and Old Trafford for their friendship and professionalism over the years. Many thanks also to all the United supporters from all over the world - especially the incredibly dedicated followers of the Under-18 and youth teams.

"Finally, I would like to wish good luck for the future to Louis van Gaal, Ryan Giggs, the first team and all the players and staff at the Academy.”

United's executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward said: “Paul has been a great servant to the club and everyone here wishes him the best in fulfilling his ambitions in the game.

"The board is grateful to him for everything he has given to the role over many years of service. His successor will have very big shoes to fill."

^ This could have something to do with it!thumbsup.gif

1 Man City U18 20 13 5 2 50 22 28 44

2 Everton U18 20 13 3 4 51 31 20 42

3 Liverpool U18 21 12 4 5 40 28 12 40

4 Blackburn U18 19 10 4 5 39 25 14 34

5 Sunderland U18 18 10 2 6 40 31 9 32

6 Wolves U18 21 8 4 9 42 38 4 28

7 Middlesbrough U18 19 8 3 8 36 33 3 27

8 West Brom U18 20 7 4 9 28 39 -11 25

9 Newcastle U18 20 6 2 12 27 56 -29 20

10 Derby U18 19 3 7 9 36 45 -9 16

11 Stoke U18 20 3 4 13 20 41 -21 13

12 Man Utd U18 19 3 2 14 23 43 -20 11

Why not post the u21's table too maybe doing that does not fit your agenda hey, we have a lot of u18's playing in the u21's due to lack of depth in the first team squad many u21's are up in the first team due to our many injuries.

By posting the u18's just shows the small picture not the big picture.

• Like 1

Why not post the u21's table too maybe doing that does not fit your agenda hey, we have a lot of u18's playing in the u21's due to lack of depth in the first team squad many u21's are up in the first team due to our many injuries.

I'm afraid Wils doesn't know why academies are there sad.png

• Like 2

Well the majority if reds I know wanted lvg gone, he must be on borrowed time.

He is a likeable bloke but he has just not been good enough, you cannot just blame him the players have to take part of the blame.

Now to sit back and watch the vultures in the press do their work.

Post I was responding to related solely to Paul McGuinness who has (jumped) got the push. Had SFA to do with <21s, who, as you should know, are coached by Warren Joyce. Posting the <21s table would therefore have been irrelevant. Hope that has explained things simply enough for youwink.png

there is something very wrong, tactics - attacking - it's like they are out on a traing session, players up front stopping not knowing where to pass the ball, the modern game of football is team work and I saw no evidence of it tonight, I saw the same thing in the most boring world cup final in history - who was in charge ??????

The whole strategy is wrong and other teams are taking the piss because they see right through it, pass it to the wing oooops wait the wingers are marked by 3-4 defenders, well lets drive it down the middle .....nope too long we gave them time to regroup while we had a training session mid match, other teams are laughing, poor passing and poor corner taking amounts to a team that does not deserve to be where they are, VG brought some players in that are not fit for purpose, it's a shame but if other teams in the EPL had worked out the weaknesses earlier Manu should be in the bottom 4 right now, that is the truth, they are being outsmarted out managed and outplayed - something that I am not used to seeing with such a revered side

It is time for Manu to attack, force errors and penalties put the opposing team under some pressure, stop with the "we are manu" ballocks and start putting pressure on, at no time tonight did I think manu were palying a team in the bottom 3..................it's (deleted) nonesense ..........................oh yeh 1-0 against Chelsea lets relax.........you need a 2 goal margin in the EPL at all times, just another 3 points thrown away because VG thought he was winning

(deleted) rant over ............sack him now

• Like 1

He is a likeable bloke but he has just not been good enough, you cannot just blame him the players have to take part of the blame.

Sir Alex Ferguson interim manager till he turns 80 looks the best bet,nev !

• Like 1

Sir Alex Ferguson interim manager till he turns 80 looks the best bet,nev !

Rednose coming back eh, shades of Busby (in 1970 was it).

One of the factors behind me starting the highly amusing ang long running 'ManU in decline' topic, was how were Utd going to cope with the retirement of Fergie knowing how the retirement of Busby ended (in relegation in 1974); I was there). Now I'm not saying similar will happen again - ManU are no where near where they were in 70-74, but you've got to get this manager situation sorted. LvG will steady the ship, but it seems the fans are revolting (sorry, couldn't resist it), and you need to find that young manager who can run a club as big as ManU. Mourinho I reckon would kick start and move you forward but he won't stick around. Can't see Giggs doing it. Hughes seems to be learning. Tough decision for ManU to make, stick or twist...get it wrong and it could be a downward spiral or years of frustration trying to achieve the glory days again...as per Liverpool.

I for the life of me can't remember a more spineless performance from a United team.I think after last night the players can take 95% of the blame

which Rooney admitted post match, he looked devestated as well he should.

Our regular full backs are dropping like flies.Scheinderlin, who was so strong for Southhampton, last year was over run as was Carrick.

No intensity from the start.The media will have a field day with LVG. He might be wishing he retired earler,winning mentality and record intact.