Manchester United

redrus

Sir Alex Ferguson needs to learn when to shut up,

By Stan Collymore 26/01/2009

Sir Alex Ferguson is deluded that being manager of Manchester United entitles him to dictate to the FA about the running of the game.

His latest musings about using an obscure rule scrapping FA Cup replays when both teams agree and his pontifications on the merits of a winter break have really annoyed me.

It sparked memories of Rafa Benitez's recent strong criticisms of Ferguson, which captured a lot of attention.

The Liverpool boss famously claimed Fergie was above the law and had referees in his pocket, in a memorable outburst. But despite reprimanding Ferguson, Benitez's rant cannot have bothered the Scot much because just two weeks later he has put his head above the parapet again.

This time he is advocating a monthlong break in January and trying to activate a little-known clause which was meant for non-League clubs to prevent them traipsing up and down the country on a budget for endless Cup replays.

Yet United are the wealthiest club in the world - or at least were before Man City's takeover - so trying to use FA rules designed for tiny clubs is ridiculous.

Ferguson is a wonderful football manager but he is not and should not attempt to be a football administrator. When is Fergie going to realise that winning trophies and being at the helm of Manchester United football club doesn't buy you currency in the administration stakes?

Ferguson deserves a lot of respect for his distinguished reign at Old Trafford since 1986.

But he is one of the 92 managers like everyone else and should stop being a 'big-time Charlie', having a go at the FA and arguing for bizarre statutes.

Fergie is a wonderful manager but he is not and should not attempt to be a football administrator

I'm sure I don't need to explain That Sir Alex has already refuted these claims as a "disgrace", I'd like to also add that Stan not the man, is so far off the mark here, I'm bemused as to how he gets paid.

His big time Charlie comment must be the most rediculous thing I've heard in a while, well about a month anyway. I mean, I ask you, Stan Collymore accusing Sir Alex Ferguson of being a big time Charlie..........! Nuff said.

redrus

Sir Alex Ferguson is deluded that being manager of Manchester United entitles him to dictate to the FA about the running of the game.

I wont even bother quoting Collymore, who is possibly one of the most discredited professionals of all time - woman beater, dogger, striker,etc, etc

Collymore could have, and probably should have, been one of the best stikers in the Premier League, in the end he is a total joke. Any informed football fan would take what he has said with a few mountains of salt.

I wont even bother quoting Collymore, who is possibly one of the most discredited professionals of all time - woman beater, dogger, striker,etc, etc

Collymore could have, and probably should have, been one of the best stikers in the Premier League, in the end he is a total joke. Any informed football fan would take what he has said with a few mountains of salt.

Sadly, too true MrToad. Collymore was a hero when at Forest. Nowdays though lost the plot..just abit.

It'll be a great occasion once we've seen off the sheep in the FA replay then put the other half of Manchester out the cup as well in the next round :o

Choice picks for tonight and tomorrow night.... my locks are bolded :o another late night tonight, oh well.

Portsmouth 1 v Aston Villa 1,

Sunderland 0 v Fulham 1,

Tottenham 2 v Stoke 1,

West Brom 0 v Man Utd 2,

Blackburn 1 v Bolton 0,

Chelsea 3 v Middlesbrough 0,

Everton 1 v Arsenal 1,

Man City 2 v Newcastle 1,

West Ham 2 v Hull 1,

Wigan 1 v Liverpool 1

I post this in "our" forum because I don't want to upset the LP fans... :o

Premiership - Current Injuries

Manchester United

D Welbeck Ankle/Foot Injury no date

Fabio Calf Muscle Strain no date

Rafael Hamstring Injury 4 Weeks

P Ji-Sung Hamstring Injury 1 week

Nani Groin Strain 1 week

Anderson Ankle/Foot Injury 4 Weeks

J Evans Ankle/Foot Injury 4 Weeks

W Rooney Hamstring Injury 1 week

P Evra Ankle/Foot Injury 1 week

R Ferdinand Back Injury 1 week

W Brown Sprained Ankle 1 week

O Hargreaves Jumpers Knee 4 Months

Newcastle United 9

T Kadar Broken Leg 5 Months

D Guthrie Hamstring Injury no date

Cacapa Knee Injury 1 week

S Ameobi Sprained Ankle 2 Days

M Viduka Groin Strain 1 week

H Beye Knee Injury no date

O Martins Gilmores Groin 1 week

I Gonzalez Achilles Tendinopathy 7 Weeks

A Smith Achilles Tendinopathy 2 Days

West Bromwich Albion 9

J Greening MCL Knee Ligament Injury no date

R Donk Groin Strain no date

L Moore Hamstring Injury no date

L Barnett Hamstring Injury 2 Weeks

J Olsson Knee Injury 2 Weeks

J Morrison Hamstring Injury 1 day

A Meite Hamstring Injury 2 Weeks

I Miller MCL Knee Ligament Injury 5 Months

N Clement Knee Injury 5 Months

Bolton Wanderers 6

J Elmander Hamstring Injury 5 Days

N Hunt Thigh Muscle Strain 2 Days

G McCann Ankle/Foot Injury no date

T Cohen Hamstring Injury 2 Days

J O'Brien Thigh Muscle Strain 2 Days

R Vaz Te Knee Injury 5 Months

Everton 6

M Arteta Rib Injury no date

J Yobo Hamstring Injury 2 Days

A Yakubu Calf/Shin Injury 5 Months

L Saha Hamstring Injury 1 week

J Vaughan Knee Injury 7 Weeks

N Valente Knee Injury 2 Days

Tottenham Hotspur 6

M Dawson Calf/Shin Injury 1 day

J Woodgate Back Injury 1 day

J O'Hara Groin Strain no date

Gomes Thigh Muscle Strain 1 day

L King Hamstring Injury no date

A Hutton Metatarsal Fracture 3 Months

Manchester City 5

D Hamann Ankle/Foot Injury 2 Months

B Mwaruwari Groin Strain 2 Days

M Petrov Knee Injury 4 Weeks

M Johnson Groin Strain no date

V Bojinov Calf/Shin Injury 3 Weeks

Arsenal 4

M Silvestre Thigh Muscle Strain 5 Days

C Fabregas MCL Knee Ligament Injury 3 Months

T Walcott Dislocated Shoulder 4 Weeks

T Rosicky Hamstring Injury 6 Weeks

Chelsea 4

R Carvalho Hamstring Injury no date

A Deco Calf Muscle Strain no date

J Cole ACL Knee Injury 6 Months

M Essien ACL Knee Injury 7 Weeks

Sunderland 4

N Nosworthy Hamstring Injury 5 Weeks

G McCartney Ankle/Foot Injury 4 Weeks

C Gordon Ankle/Foot Injury 4 Weeks

D Ward Back Injury no date

Middlesbrough 3

J Walker Ankle/Foot Injury 5 Weeks

J Aliadiere Ankle/Foot Injury 5 Weeks

J Hoyte Knee Injury 2 Days

Portsmouth 3

J Thomas Back Injury no date

R Hughes Groin Strain no date

P Bouba Diop PCL Tear 2 Months

Stoke City 3

D Higginbotham Calf Muscle Strain no date

L Cort Groin Strain 1 day

M Sidibe Knee Injury 1 day

Aston Villa 2

M Laursen Knee Injury 8 Weeks

W Bouma Ankle/Foot Injury 5 Days

Blackburn Rovers 2

C Samba Eye Injury no date

S Reid Knee Injury 5 Months

Liverpool 2

D Agger Calf Muscle Strain no date

P Degen Metatarsal Fracture no date

West Ham United 2

D Ashton Os Trigonum Syndrome no date

D Gabbidon Groin/Pelvis Injury no date

Fulham 1

D Kamara Knee Injury 3 Weeks

Hull City 1

G Boateng MCL Knee Ligament Injury 3 Months

Wigan Athletic 0

Manchester City

M Petrov Knee Injury 4 Weeks

V Bojinov Calf/Shin Injury 3 Weeks

Don't know how much i would rely on those stats. Petrov has been out for 4 months already and Bojinov has been out for about a year and a half.

i left out the header that said anticipated lenght (from day).

27/01/2009 08:15, Report by Ben Hibbs

Berbatov wary of West Brom

After a week of domestic cup duties Dimitar Berbatov is eager to get back to the Premier League trophy trail. And the Bulgarian says United must show the same fighting spirit displayed to beat Bolton Wanderers when the Reds travel to West Bromwich Albion tonight.

The Reds moved top of the league ten days ago after the 1-0 win over Gary Megson’s men, with Berbatov grabbing the crucial late winner at the Reebok Stadium.

The 27-year-old is in fine goalscoring form after hitting double figures with another winner in the 2-1 FA Cup victory over his former club Tottenham on Saturday, and now he has his sights set on West Brom.

“The league is the most important thing for us,” he told ManUtd.com. “But there are no weak teams. Every game from my opinion is hard, and when you play for Manchester United you always want to give 100 per cent, and more.

“Against West Brom we expect it to be very difficult, but the quality we have and the way we have prepared makes me confident that, if we concentrate and focus for the full 90 minutes, we will take all three points.”

Sir Alex Ferguson noted last week that he wants to see an improvement in United’s away form. The Reds have taken 28 points from 30 available at Old Trafford this term, but have let 14 points slip on the road, four out of 11 matches ending in draws. Berbatov insists winning at Bolton was a valuable lesson, and a possible turning point.

“Away from home we’ve had plenty of chances and played well, but we must concentrate and fight to the last minute, like we did against Bolton.”

27/01/2009 08:00, Report by Steve Bartram

Brunt readies Baggies

West Brom winger Chris Brunt has warned his team-mates that they must be fired up for Tuesday's visit of United.

Northern Ireland international Brunt insists that he and his colleagues will have to graft to extend their impressive run of home form against the champions, especially having been on the wrong end of a 4-0 stroll at Old Trafford already this term.

"To compete with United, you have to match their work ethic," he told the Sunday Mercury. "They are probably going to have more of the ball then you are but if you work as hard as they do without the ball, then you can make it difficult for them.

"We didn’t create too many scoring chances at Old Trafford but we had the chances to create chances, if you see what I mean.

"Taking them on at home, where we have done well and will have the fans behind us, might just give us an extra boost to kick on and do better than we did at Old Trafford."

Tony Mowbray's side are unbeaten at home since November's 3-0 defeat to Chelsea. Although they remain bottom of the Premier League, the Baggies' record at the Hawthorns has kept them within three points of mid-table security, and Brunt admits confidence is high.

"If we are winning games, as we have done recently at home, it instills some confidence in everyone," he said. "That is no different for me. I think every player is a confidence player on some level and if the team is doing well, it gives you that extra bit of confidence."

Match Pack: West Brom

United's rock-bottom hosts will be scrapping for their lives on Tuesday night...

Form guide: No side has managed even to score against United in the league since Arsenal won 2-1 at the Emirates in November - 10 games ago. West Brom are propping up the rest of the Premier League but are only six points behind ninth-placed Hull and will be targeting a fourth win in six league games to haul themselves out of the drop zone. The Baggies are unbeaten at home since November 15 and frustrated United for nearly an hour at Old Trafford earlier this season before succumbing to a 4-0 defeat. But they will have their work cut out on Tuesday against the Reds, who have not lost a league game at The Hawthorns for a quarter of a century.

Ins and outs: Danny Welbeck (ankle) and debutant Fabio (calf) joined United's lengthy injury list after Saturday's FA Cup win over Spurs, meaning Sir Alex Ferguson is likely to be without 12 first-teamers for the game. Cristiano Ronaldo should be fully recovered from the bug that restricted him at the weekend, while the trip will probably come too soon for Nani (groin). James Morrison could return from a hamstring injury for West Brom, but captain Jonathan Greening will be denied the chance to face his former club after picking up a knee injury at the weekend against Burnley, a game which also sidelined defender Ryan Donk.

Star man: Scott Carson. While not immune to the odd howler, Carson is a top-class shot-stopper on his day and his heroics kept United at bay for large periods in October. The Baggies' top scorer is giant striker Roman Bednar (six goals).

What are the odds? West Brom 17/2, Draw 7/2, United 4/11 (www.manutd.com/bet).

Rivals watch: Portsmouth v Aston Villa (Tue); Chelsea v Middlesbrough, Everton v Arsenal, Wigan v Liverpool (Wed).

redrus

Five star United go clear

Stuart Mathieson

27/ 1/2009

UNITED'S lean, mean defensive machine showed zero tolerance to West Brom last night as they moved three points clear at the top of the Premier League table.

Keeper Edwin van der Sar surpassed Chelsea's Petr Cech's 2004-2005 record of 925 minutes without conceding a goal as the Reds also set a new record of 11 successive clean sheets, breaking the Londoners' record of four years ago.

Dimitar Berbatov, Carlos Tevez, Nemanja Vidic and Cristiano Ronaldo (2) were the scorers as they notched their sixth straight win.

Delighted boss Sir Alex Ferguson said: "We saw a ruthless streak that has maybe not been there this season.

"We hoped it was going to come. We expected it to come because of the standard of forwards we have.

"Tonight was the first indication that it was there.

"For the first ten minutes West Brom did very well and gave us a bit of defending to do and we were quite resolute at that stage of the game.

"But once we got the ball in their half of the field, we always looked dangerous.

"It was a fantastic defensive performance and it is down to the experience we have gathered together in the back four and even though we've had to make changes in the last few weeks they have applied themselves very well.

"Edwin Van der Sar, who has achieved everything in the game, is as delighted as when he saved that penalty kick in Moscow.

"He is over the moon and that tells you his desire. he has still got that ambitious streak and wants to win all the time.

Player Ratings;

Van der sar: Hardly had anything to do to complete his record breaking task 6

Neville: Only the opening minutes caused him any great concern. Two games in three days is no problem when United are in this form 6

Ferdinand: Once he settled into the scheme of things again he was back to his old self 7

Vidic: Strong as an ox at the back and powerful as a bull when he attacked ball for his goal 8

O'Shea: No problems whatsoever for the Irishman at left back 6

Ronaldo: Dancing feet mesmerised Albion in first half and clinical finishing in second 7

Carrick: Started the rout with another of his sublime passes to Berbatov 7

Giggs: Just as he destroyed Chelsea from central midfield this month he rolled back the years again 9

Park: Not at his Chelsea level but the South Korean did enough to have Albion pulling their hair out 6

Tevez: Was hard to repeat his non-stop performance against Spurs but still managed to score 7

Berbatov: Five goals in his last seven matches the Bulgarian is beginning to fire 7

Subs:

Brown: (sub Ferdinand 70) Easy return 5

Eckersley: (sub Neville 70) No problems 5

Tosic: (sub Berbatov 77) Not much to do 5

Not used: Fletcher, Scholes, Gibson, Kuszczak

West brom: Carson, Hoefkens, Robinson, Koren, Brunt, Pele, Zuiverloon (Morrison 64), Valero, Simpson (Bednar 64), Donk, Fortune (Brunt 45)

Battle of the bosses: Battle was arguably won in the medical rooms as Fergie had enough firepower to tear apart Tony Mowbray's usual adventurous plans

Referee: Rob Styles - Won't be welcomed back in West Bromwich for a long time. 5

Attendance: 26,105

"

Fergie happy with ruthless Utd

United boss pleased with his side's emphatic victory

Sir Alex Ferguson was pleased Manchester United showed their ruthlessness as his side thumped West Brom 5-0 at The Hawthorns to go three points clear at the top of the Premier League.

Dimitar Berbatov opened the scoring in the 22nd minute, before West Brom skipper Paul Robinson was then controversially sent-off for a challenge on Park Ji-Sung.

Carlos Tevez doubled the advantage a minute before half-time after Scott Carson had dropped a free-kick and United wrapped up the victory in the second period via goals from Nemanja Vidic (60) and a Cristiano Ronaldo brace (65, 73).

Asked what pleased him most about the victory, Ferguson told Sky Sports: "The scoreline was very important for us I think.

Ruthless streak

"We showed a ruthless streak about us tonight for the first time this season and it was a long time coming. I think we need to have it - I think goal difference could play a part and over the years we've always held that advantage over our opponents, so it was a satisfying result in that respect."

He thought the goal before half-time killed it for his side and - despite West Brom having a spell after the interval - the third goal then put the game to rest.

Asked about Robinson's red card, he said: "From where I was sitting I thought it was a reckless challenge but they tell me that from the opposite side it wasn't as reckless as I thought at the time and I can understand why the referee has given the red card.

"I think it was a needless challenge more than anything, I think with Ji-Sung sliding in and being there first and he's followed in, and I think it was just a reckless challenge."

He was not sure if his side would have gone on to win the game if Robinson had not been sent off.

Difficult

"It is always difficult for a team with ten men when you're one-nil down, it would have been difficult for West Brom, but you're never sure in football," he said, although he thought at that stage his side were playing well enough to win.

He added he was proud of his team for getting the record of 11 clean sheets in the Premier League and while his side are now three points clear in the title race, he still thought March and April would be the crucial months.

"I think we have started to overcome the problem of going to Japan, we were playing catch-up and now we have got our noses in front there hopefully we can stay there - it is not an easy league as you know, it's a difficult league but I think the form of the team is starting to get better," he said, adding what helps is getting his injured players back.

Sky Sports

United Break The Record And Turn On The Style

Vital Football

We've been waiting for this a long time. Keeping clean sheets and picking up results is a nice thing but this is United we are talking about and most of us expected a real, blows-everyone-away performance from the Red Machine.

Well it looks like things are starting to fall very well indeed. Manchester United beat Chelsea's record of 10 clean sheets in a row today - and finally it's no hard-fought, sweaty 1-0 but a stylish massacre.

Fergie surprisingly included Rio Ferdinand and Ji-sung Park in the line-up and though traffic congestion delayed the kickoff, the visiting fans were in full voice and full of optimism. Justifiably so: despite a horrible injury crisis United put out a very strong team, with the Giggs-Carrick midfield which looked set to damage West Brom with incisive passing.

And my god they did. Berbatov, Carrick and Giggs combined sometimes sublimely and an otherwise lively West Brom simply could not cope with them and an energetic, hyperactive Carlos Tevez who clearly wanted to prove that his excellent displays in the last two games were no flukes.

The first goal was brilliant: intricate passing by Giggs and Berbatov on the edge of the box then the Bulgarian played a lovely one-two with Carrick and finished with ease and composure. West Brom were rattled by the goal and could have gone two down in minutes had referee Rob Styles realised that Brunt (I think) actually fouled Gary Neville in the box - but he waved play on.

Then Styles found himself in the middle of attention again just when I was beginning to worry that missed chances - Ronaldo spurned an absolute golden one - would come back to haunt us. But with five minutes left to play everything changed: Robinson and Park were going for a fifty-fifty ball. The Korean got there first but Robinson, studs off the ground, still went in with both feet and was shown a straight red card. Rightly so, in United fans' opinion but the home supporters obviously disagreed...

Minutes later it was game over: Scott Carson pathetically tried to argue that he was fouled but there was no contact whatsoever from any United player as the keeper simply dropped Giggs' cross. Tevez, lurking there, tapped the ball into the empty net, easy finish, 2-0.

The second half started with West Brom showing some intent and they soon hit the post after some great one-touch football. Phew, record almost gone there.

But it woke United up, we seized control again and never relinquished it afterwards. Our forwards and midfielders were enjoying space afforded to them but it was Nemanja Vidic who applied the finishing touch: from Giggs' corner he powered a header to the underside of the net.

3-0 and now United players really began to enjoy themselves. Giggs, Tevez, Berbatov and Carrick: West Brom had no answer to the passing and the movement of these four who were all equally brilliant and all shared a common aim: they wanted Ronaldo to score a league goal again. And the Portuguese obliged, running on to Giggs' sweet pass and firing it past Carson after brilliant build-up play by Carrick and Tevez.

4-0 but it still wasn't enough for United - and for Ronaldo who clearly drew energy from the injustice of having been flagged offside when he has actually timed his run perfectly not long before the fourth goal. And it was him who got the fifth: Tevez released Berbatov on the right who turned back, driften in then sent a perfect pass into the path of Ronaldo who fired it in low to complete the rout.

There was only one thing left now: to break Chelsea's record. West Brom caused some uncomfortable moments, Jay Simpson was a handful all evening but in the end our defence proved impenetrable again - Edwin must be forgetting what it feels like picking the ball out of his net!

Great performance, great result. We've reached the 50 point mark, Park, Rio and even Wes Brown played without any problems and we can now cheer on Wigan and Boro in the comfortable knowledge that United did what they had to do. It's our rivals who have reasons to worry right now.

Get in....!

redrus

:o

All those doubters, about Uniteds ability to score goals, Ronaldo being not interested, Liverpool being the side to beat......well, United are now clear of the top, and I don't think there is any doubt that this side has the potential to emulate last season as well.

:o

All those doubters, about Uniteds ability to score goals, Ronaldo being not interested, Liverpool being the side to beat......well, United are now clear of the top, and I don't think there is any doubt that this side has the potential to emulate last season as well.

Its all coming together and I wonder is Rafa still thinking Man U are scared.I dont think so. The Berabatov knockers may also be eating humble pie.The passing of himself and Carrick last night was suberb.Its not just the direction its the weight they put on the ball. Ronaldo is starting to recapture his old form and Rooney still to come back. I see Giggs was BBC Player Rater man of the match. Dont agree with that but he was inspirational. No wonder Fergie wants him to sign for another yr.

I'd like to thank Rafa, I'm pretty sure his recent rantings have inspired United even more. :D

Whilst we're thanking people... a big shout out to True Visions for publishing in the magazine that the Man U game was going to be on True Sport 3. When i woke up this morning i really enjoyed watching the Spurs Stoke game that i had diligently recorded. :o

I'd like to thank Rafa, I'm pretty sure his recent rantings have inspired United even more. :D

Whilst we're thanking people... a big shout out to True Visions for publishing in the magazine that the Man U game was going to be on True Sport 3. When i woke up this morning i really enjoyed watching the Spurs Stoke game that i had diligently recorded. :o

Gutted.... It wasn't on here either mate....! :D

redrus

Gutted.... It wasn't on here either mate....! :D

The game and TV coverage was delayed by traffic congestion on the motorways etc. Caught me out as I woke up turned it on and read true visions banner

"beyond our control etc" Went to www. BBC live text to get what really had happened.

redrus

Man Utd ponder offer for want-away Roma defender Panucci

28.01.09 | tribalfootball.com

Manchester United are considering a move for Roma defender Christian Panucci.

The Italian veteran has declared he wants to leave Roma this week after throwing a strop over being named on the bench for Sunday's victory against Napoli.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has concerns over his defence, which has been hit hard by injury and knows Panucci can play anywhere across the back four.

England boss Fabio Capello is a huge fan of Panucci's and is convinced even at the 35 he can fit seamlessly into the pace of the Premiership.

The stumbling block will be former Real Madrid and AC Milan defender Panucci's personal demands, with United unlikely to commit to a deal for longer than six months.

A good move if we were to get him, I think. Class defender could be especially good for the league as, I believe he is cup tied for The Champions League.

redrus

United's record-breakers analysed

by Nick Bentley- Setanta , 28 January 2009

By keeping West Brom at bay on Tuesday night, Manchester United broke the Premier League record of consecutive clean sheets.

It has now been 11 matches since the Reds let in a goal and with that sort of form it is no surprise Sir Alex Ferguson’s men have reasserted themselves at the top of the league.

During that run, goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar and defender Nemanja Vidic have been ever-present, but Sir Alex has also been able to call upon the full depth of his squad to stop teams from scoring.

Eight different players have been employed at the back in that run, including the impressive Jonny Evans, who has stepped in to cover for injured players with remarkable ease.

Man Utd PL Clean Sheet Run - Defensive Players

Player Minutes Played

Van Der Sar 990

Vidic 990

O'Shea 719

Evans 540

Ferdinand 430

Evra 426

Rafael 423

Neville 368

Brown 20

post-16343-1233153429_thumb.jpg

Van Der Sar shouts his instructions.

Although van der Sar has been picked out as the hero, it is the men in front of him who deserve most of the credit. The former Dutch shot-stopper has only been required to make 17 saves in this run, ten less than any other keeper.

Nov 15-present; Shots On Conceded

Manchester United 17

Everton 27

Chelsea 31

Wigan Athletic 32

Blackburn Rovers 33

Over the entire season, United have conceded the fewest shots on target (60) meaning the 38-year-old goalkeeper has had to make on average 2.7 shots per game.

Now United seem to have found their shooting boots, the defence of their Premier League title is looking more and more inevitable.

On sobering note............

Scholes Admits End Not Too Far Off

redissue

Tuesday, 27th January 2009

Paul Scholes admits that he realises that the end of his United playing days are not too far away.

However, the 34-year-old midfielder is just as hungry for success now as he was when he joined the club as a schoolboy.

"If you are just happy to go along and not earn medals there is no point in you being here," he has said.

"We are almost at the end of January now and in a great position to be successful this season. Hopefully we can see it through.

"As you get older, you don't play as often which is the manager's way of looking after you and getting the best out of you.

"I don't go forward or score goals like I used to or would like to. We probably saw the end of those bursts into the penalty area about two years ago.

"It is just one of those things and something you have to accept.

"I know the end is not too far away for me but as long as I am here I will just try my best to help the team in whatever way I can."

redrus

The Italian veteran has declared he wants to leave Roma this week after throwing a strop over being named on the bench for Sunday's victory against Napoli.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has concerns over his defence, which has been hit hard by injury and knows Panucci can play anywhere across the back four.

England boss Fabio Capello is a huge fan of Panucci's and is convinced even at the 35 he can fit seamlessly into the pace of the Premiership.

The stumbling block will be former Real Madrid and AC Milan defender Panucci's personal demands, with United unlikely to commit to a deal for longer than six months.

A good move if we were to get him, I think. Class defender could be especially good for the league as, I believe he is cup tied for The Champions League.

redrus

Why would United need another defender when the present group of players have kept so many clean sheets ?

Neville , Brown , Ferdinand, Vidic, O Shea , Evra, Evans , the 2 da Silva boys , Eckersley How many do you need ???? Plus Fletcher who played at right back and did a great job for one match. Thats 11 and only 4 can play .Plus there is no more seats on the bus.

Self explanatory really............. The Larry White situation comes to mind first. Larry came in to a lot of peoples dismay, why we were signing him at that age.? It soon came out that the experience and knowledge he gave to the younger players was and still is, invaluable in everyway....!

Pannuci can play accross the back four as explained.

Rio's back is questionable and, is by no means sorted in any way. Patrice Evra still isn't fit. Wes Brown despite being one of mine and every one elses favourites has never been totally reliable (fitness wise). Our new Da Silva boys, Richard Eckersley and Johnny Evans are young lads, they need to be played as SAF knows how, certainly not in every game, yet....! John O'pie is good but truely isn't as good as he should have been and, is good for midfield when we're winning and we can take one of the more prominent players off. Fletcher is midfield and, in my eyes should only ever be there. I've said for a long time that Fletcher will come good and, I've been proved right. Gary Neville will be in team if he is fit but, is cracking on in age too so, the benefit Pannuci and Gary will have on the young lads along with working alongside the rock and the hard place (Vidic & Rio) will be the best schooling any defenders will ever have, for playing the best defensive football but going forward with a clear love for the ball and, playing footaball with it.... :o

For these reasons and, IF we sign Pannuci, it will be good for the TEAM....!

redrus

Self explanatory really............. The Larry White situation comes to mind first. Larry came in to a lot of peoples dismay, why we were signing him at that age.? It soon came out that the experience and knowledge he gave to the younger players was and still is, invaluable in everyway....!

Rio's back is questionable and, is by no means sorted in any way. Patrice Evra still isn't fit. Wes Brown despite being one of mine and every one elses favourites has never been totally reliable (fitness wise). Our new Da Silva boys, Richard Eckersley and Johnny Evans are young lads, they need to be played as SAF knows how, certainly not in every game, yet....! John O'pie is good but truely isn't as good as he should have been and, is good for midfield when we're winning and we can take one of the more prominent players off. Fletcher is midfield and, in my eyes should only ever be there. I've said for a long time that Fletcher will come good and, I've been proved right. Gary Neville will be in team if he is fit but, is cracking on in age too so, the benefit Pannuci and Gary will have on the young lads along with working alongside the rock and the hard place (Vidic & Rio) will be the best schooling any defenders will ever have, for playing the best defensive football but going forward with a clear love for the ball and, playing footaball with it.... :o

redrus

I agree, someone like Panucci is an ideal person to bring in for the short term, just like Larry White and Henry Larson in the past. Sometimes a bit of experience is ideal, there's no point in United signing someone on a huge contract that is not going to play that many games in the future, esp considering what is coming through - Evans, Da Silva x2, Eckersley etc, etc . IMO Panucci would be a great addition for the run in.

Manchester United 'v' West Brom FA Hearing Due Tomorrow

Bleacher Report.

West Brom lodged an appeal within two hours with the Football Association over the red card Paul Robinson received in Tuesday night's 5-0 defeat against Manchester United.

Robinson was dismissed late in the first half of the defeat at the Hawthorns by referee Rob Styles for a challenge on Park Ji-Sung, but WBA believe the incident did not warrant a dismissal.

An FA spokesman confirmed that a disciplinary hearing will take place on Thursday at 1 PM to decide whether Robinson's three-match ban should be overturned.

The reaction of Robinson said it all for me, he was absolutely shell shocked when he saw the red card. The Manchester United players also showed signs of non-belief with Ryan Giggs putting his arm around Robinson as he left the field.

Not one word of complaint about Robinson has come from Sir Alex or the victim of the challenge Park Ji-Sung which says to me they are happy for an appeal to take place and if Robinson is vindicated from his actions, they wont be annoyed.

West Brom had a mountain to climb as soon as the whistle went last night in all honesty and they would have been 2-0 down at half time anyway, but to be 2-0 down AND reduced to ten men just wrote them out of the equation, it was a foregone conclusion United would win this one.

I am a fierce supporter of all things United including The Winker Ronaldo. As fans we must stick up for our team, for our guys but on this occasion I do feel a misjustice has happened and I wish Paul Robinson getting this red card revoked tomorrow...

redrus

Liverpool & Mr benitez starting to feel the pressure drew again last night, just shows never get into a war of words with our man Sir Alex

Also made up for Wigan as that's my Birth Town & happy that they are starting to look safe for yet another year in the Premiership

Always made up when the scousers are shown the way to do it. :o

Choice picks for tonight and tomorrow night.... my locks are bolded :o another late night tonight, oh well.

Let's review - not bad overall, especially my "locks" :D

Portsmouth 1 v Aston Villa 1, wrong

Sunderland 0 v Fulham 1, wrong

Tottenham 2 v Stoke 1, Very Close

West Brom 0 v Man Utd 2, Close

Blackburn 1 v Bolton 0, wrong

Chelsea 3 v Middlesbrough 0, Very Close

Everton 1 v Arsenal 1, SPOT ON

Man City 2 v Newcastle 1, SPOT ON

West Ham 2 v Hull 1, Very Close

Wigan 1 v Liverpool 1 SPOT ON

I know what you are saying but for example why is Jonny Evans playing so well ? because he got games at Sunderland on a regular basis and was thrown in at the deep end for United and had a good run until injury. Every young guy who has been promoted has exceeded expectations(look at the player ratings on BBC) Sitting in the stands does not improve your game and their only outlet is the sporadic reserve fixtures or going out on loan. Evra is the best left back in the EPL and Vidic is the best central defender, they will always be first choice for the big games along with Rio. You have to be positive. If you go into games thinking you will get injuries , you will.

redrus

I agree, someone like Panucci is an ideal person to bring in for the short term, just like Larry White and Henry Larson in the past. Sometimes a bit of experience is ideal, there's no point in United signing someone on a huge contract that is not going to play that many games in the future, esp considering what is coming through - Evans, Da Silva x2, Eckersley etc, etc . IMO Panucci would be a great addition for the run in.

....!

I know what you are saying but for example why is Jonny Evans playing so well ? because he got games at Sunderland on a regular basis and was thrown in at the deep end for United and had a good run until injury. Every young guy who has been promoted has exceeded expectations(look at the player ratings on BBC) Sitting in the stands does not improve your game and their only outlet is the sporadic reserve fixtures or going out on loan. Evra is the best left back in the EPL and Vidic is the best central defender, they will always be first choice for the big games along with Rio. You have to be positive. If you go into games thinking you will get injuries , you will.

redrus

Why would United need another defender when the present group of players have kept so many clean sheets ?

Neville , Brown , Ferdinand, Vidic, O Shea , Evra, Evans , the 2 da Silva boys , Eckersley How many do you need ???? Plus Fletcher who played at right back and did a great job for one match. Thats 11 and only 4 can play .Plus there is no more seats on the bus.

He came to Chelsea in the 2000-2001 season on loan and was abyssmal the time he was there.I don't think the Premier League suits him.

What Larry White did for the young lads, was mainly done on the training ground....!

redrus

He came to Chelsea in the 2000-2001 season on loan and was abyssmal the time he was there.I don't think the Premier League suits him.

I'm not sure that changes my opinion too much, we are very different clubs. Even Veron, although not living up to expectations either United or Chelsea, played far better for us than you, many match going reds to this day hold Veron in high regard....!

redrus

Top Story

Manchester United and Inter Milan set for STUNNING striker exchange?

01:00 PM 29 January, 2009 Fans FC.com

Manchester United Football Club could be prepared to lose Carlos Tevez in the summer, yet they could find a replacement at the Argentine international’s proposed new employers.

The Reds have first option to sign Tevez on a permanent basis in the summer, when the striker will have completed his two-year loan deal at the home of the European champions.

However, it looks increasingly likely that Sir Alex Ferguson will decide against the former West Ham United star, who has often lost his place in the side to Dimitar Berbatov since the Bulgarian’s arrival in September.

It is widely believed that the next destination for the 24-year-old could be Inter Milan, where Jose Mourinho is said to have made the player one of his top targets for the summer transfer window.

And in a twist to the potential deal, United could raid the San Siro for their replacement, with Italian Under-21 international Mario Balotelli a reported target for Ferguson at around £12million.

The 18-year-old has been linked with a move away from the Nerazzurri for much of the season, and whilst he could not be guaranteed a regular place at Old Trafford, a move to the Premier League could appeal.

I think I speak for a lot of reds and maybe a lot of general football fans too when I say that, losing Tevez will not only be a great loss to United but, a great loss to the Premiership....! :o

redrus

I think I speak for a lot of reds and maybe a lot of general football fans too when I say that, losing Tevez will not only be a great loss to United but, a great loss to the Premiership....! :D

Me and Tevez last April (ish) filming for the Nike advert, i've blacked my face out so i don't make Tevez look too ugly :o Ronaldo and Rooney were there also, at the Newton Health ground.

post-19542-1233239147_thumb.jpg