Manchester United

redrus

Still favourites to win the title - anyone bet against them at 7/4 ?

No way i would be against them winning the League, i'll be looking at CL odds too.. :)

singhy you arespot on mate all those getting giddy about us loosing our best player it is a false dawn and united will be a stronger more compact and better team now without the ronaldo road show.

i wish the lad good luck at madrid he is going living his dream hope it does not turn in to a nightmare :D

RONALDO REPLACEMENT

Wigan confirm Man United interest in Valencia

By Soccernet staff

June 12, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has confirmed that Manchester United have made a series of bids for Ecuador winger Antonio Valencia and he expects another cash offer to arrive shortly.

Empics

Valencia: Caught the eye at the JJB.

United, who accepted a world-record £80m bid from Real Madrid for Cristiano Ronaldo on Thursday, are in the market for a replacement for the Bernabeu-bound World Player of the Year and Valencia is one of the names on their hit-list.

"They (United) have been in touch with us and we will be starting negotiations very shortly, I would imagine," Whelan told Sky Sports News.

"I think they were waiting to see if Ronaldo actually went to Real, which has happened. Things will develop over the next seven to 14 days.

"United have been in touch with us over Antonio for the last two or three months, expressing an interest and actually putting cash offers on the table."

A figure of around £15m is expected to be enough to secure the services of the 23-year-old winger, but Whelan added that his club are not resigned to losing Valencia just yet.

The Wigan chief said: "We are not desperate to sell Antonio, I'm telling you. If I can keep that lad, I'm going to keep him. He is one brilliant player."

Didn't see much of Wigan last season.

Anyone see Valencia play in enough games to give an opinion on the lad?

Edit: Just looked at some stats. 7 goals in 83 isn't a great return is it? Would he score more in a better team?

Edited by rixalex

Didn't see much of Wigan last season.

Anyone see Valencia play in enough games to give an opinion on the lad?

Edit: Just looked at some stats. 7 goals in 83 isn't a great return is it? Would he score more in a better team?

I rate him & would love him at our place..

However, our place & your place are two different thing but he IS a good Player, 2 good Feet, good enough Headerer of the Ball, isn't afraid of a Tackle, good Delivery, quick & he can bang a Ball aswell..

..and a nice little finish to the season too.

Looks like the brown paper lunch bag I saw S.A.F. with, did some good.... :D

lol

City, Spurs, Sunderland, Stoke................... Who needs Ronaldo.... :)

redrus

Officially announced that Tevez is on the move - like we didn't know that already...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/t...utd/8110740.stm

Anyway, whilst i thank him for what he did at the club, i'm happy the business is settled and we can move on towards building next season's squad.

Although very different circumstances, the conversation currently going on in the Man City thread concerning not allowing players to hold clubs to ransom because of player/agent greed, also stands true in this case. I'm very happy we didn't cave in and pay over the odds. It's not like we hadn't had plenty of oppurtunity to see what the player could offer and whilst he certainly did have an impact, it wasn't in my opinion a 25m up sort of an impact.

Looking foward over the next couple of weeks to seeing some new exciting arrivals - as well as some departures - on yer bike Nani!

I'm very happy we didn't cave in and pay over the odds.

I might be wrong Rix and it will no doubt all come out in the wash. But I thought United offrered the sum being asked (albeit in installments) and offered him a huge salary, making him one of the highest paid players. But it looks like he's (or his owners) :) has just got a cob on with United.

I'm very happy we didn't cave in and pay over the odds.

But I thought United offrered the sum being asked (albeit in installments) and offered him a huge salary, making him one of the highest paid players. But it looks like he's (or his owners) :) has just got a cob on with United.

Yeah fair comment Boj - i think you are right in that Tevez felt a little undervalued at ManU. He was never treated as a No1 striker which he had obviously become accustomed to. But it's not like he hadn't been given oppurtunites to climb up the pecking order - he had and on most of those occasions he spurned too many chances.

So it's not only financial greed that we were dealing with but also ego. Hate saying that cos the guy seemed like a good egg - on balance i still think he is and i'm sure he'll be great wherever he goes, esp if it's a "smaller" club. Just perhaps he got his priorities mixed up.

tevez scored 5 league goals for us last year he runs around alot and when starting a game tends to tire more of a impact player comming on as a sub like fergie was using him.he was demanding a starting position which fergie would not accomodate.

he is a 12 to 15 mill player tops and at 25 mill well over priced.

i loved his effort 100% when he plays but maybe better off at city he will get regular games.

tevez scored 5 league goals for us last year he runs around alot and when starting a game tends to tire more of a impact player comming on as a sub like fergie was using him.he was demanding a starting position which fergie would not accomodate.

i loved his effort 100% when he plays but maybe better off at city he will get regular games.

I think you are spot on with your comments. If Tevez thinks he can go to a big club , Liverpool ,Chelsea etc and get more starts than he did at United he is kidding himself. His best performances at United were always as a sub. Many times when he started he was ineffective and his steaming around like a headless chook left him sadly out of position when they got the ball back. Would be a useful players at someone like Sunderland where he would get a lot of starts but his Agent has obviously overrated his ability.He may well go to City but who knows who else they might buy that will compete for his position.

I think you are spot on with your comments. If Tevez thinks he can go to a big club , Liverpool ,Chelsea etc and get more starts than he did at United he is kidding himself. His best performances at United were always as a sub. Many times when he started he was ineffective and his steaming around like a headless chook left him sadly out of position when they got the ball back. Would be a useful players at someone like Sunderland where he would get a lot of starts but his Agent has obviously overrated his ability.He may well go to City but who knows who else they might buy that will compete for his position.

Spot on both.... :)

Good lad he is n that but, lets just move on....

redrus

Spot on both.... :)

Good lad he is n that but, lets just move on....

redrus

Yes time to move on and I trust Fergie is on the phone 24 hours day.Lots of things to be resolved and players to buy.

Question marks on the future fitness of Hargreaves,Brown and Neville ,are they up to a full season ?

The captaincy worries me .Giggsy never for me a captain too nice a bloke , ok when everything is going to plan but as against Barcelona unable to get up a few guys and get them going. Alternatives Ferdinand not for me either .That leaves maybe Rooney and Vidic as 2 hard heads who have enough of the Keane mongrel to be effective. However Rooney is too far up the pitch for me and Vidic tends to lose it occasionally.

To players, would love to see a couple of speedy flank men Valencia, Ribery and an attacking midfielder who can score goals ,Uniteds goals from mid field almost non existent. There is talk of a young Brazilian Under 20 boy Douglas Costa coming.He is natural left side,midfoeld player who can get forward and score . I am prepared to give Nani another go now he no longer has the shadow of Ronaldo over him. He has shown the occasional flashes of briliance but few and far between and needs to stop rolling around when tackled. I expect Berbatov to show more and hopefully Rooney will be in his proper position in behind the main striker. To win the Premiership again is big ask and with Chelsea and Liverpool self destructing last season,and probably not this season, its going to be harder

I agree with all you say mate as per but.................,

However Rooney is too far up the pitch for me and Vidic tends to lose it occasionally.

.................., and you're trying to tell me Rooney and Keane never lost it.......... :)

You'll never get away with that mate....

redrus