Ghanaian Arrested With 1 Kg Of 'Ice' At Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Ghanaian arrested with 1 kg of 'ice' at airport

image_20120605152143BBBC3969-9FC7-F4E3-774E6591227AA33B.JPGimage_20120605152159BBBC746C-A392-775B-0C88E8A3D6E307C6.jpg

SAMUT PRAKAN, June 5- A Ghanaian was detained for attempting to smuggle one kilogramme of crystal methamphetamine, also known as 'ice,' with an estimated street value of Bt3.5 million (more than US$116,600) at Thailand’s main international airport, according to a senior customs officer.

Kwabena Dwamena, 35, was apprehended Monday afternoon on arrival at Suvarnabhumi Airport with 60 packages of crystal meth, weighing one kilogramme, in his stomach, Rakob Srisupa-at, director of the Investigation and Suppression Bureau, told a news briefing on Tuesday.

Mr Dwamena flew Ethiopian Airlines from Ghana to Thailand.

As the man behaved suspiciously after disembarking, customs officers asked him for a body X-ray scan inspection when unidentified objects were detected in his stomach.

After the defecation, 60 packages of crystal meth were found.

The suspect said he swallowed the packages before leaving the Ghanaian capital of Accra for Thailand, adding that he was hired for Bt45,000 (around $1,500) to carry the drugs.

Initially, he was transferred to the police Narcotics Suppression Bureau for further investigation and legal proceedings.

Meanwhile in Pathum Thani province, Soontorn Sawangwong, 36, was arrested with 180,000 methamphetamine pills, worth Bt40 million (more than $1.33 million), at a department store in Thanyaburi district while waiting to deliver the drug to his agent.

The pills were hidden in the car's loudspeaker enclosure, Pol Maj-Gen Piya Sorntrakul, deputy commissioner of Provincial Police Region 1, and Pol Maj-Gen Smith Mukdasanit, Pathum Thani police chief, told a news briefing on Tuesday.

Mr Soontorn said that he was asked to deliver drugs to customers in Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan and nearby provinces six times. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-05

180,000 !,..........how many thais are taking this cr*p ? , IMO its to blame for most of the violence and theft in thailand nowadays , 10 years ago i felt safe anywhere in thailand, but not anymore , there seems to be loud and excitable young men and girls too popping pills and drinking on the streets ,..... the hospitalty and politness is fast dissapearing from what was a gentle and laidback people , such a pity , and i cant see an end to this epedemic , ..........15 yrs ago i only ever came across a bit of weed/wacky-baccy which , IMO never did as much harm as a bottle of loakao, ...............now this meth/ speed pill is everywhere and its such a dangerous drug , not only for the addicts but the victims of the crimes that finance the habit.......... sad.

• Like 1

I must admit that I have been among the first to condemn the carriers whenever they get apprehended at the airport. In some ways, I feel sort of sorry for this guy and some of the others who are used by major cartels to carry for them. He probably comes from a dirt poor family where the sound of "One thousand Five Hundred dollars" is jaw droppingly tempting. It would probably lift his family out of debt or his family may even be in danger, who knows.

But, then again, some people get greedy and then there's just plain stupid.

Until the Thai police start getting serious and follow these mules up through the 'food chain', they will always catch the small fish and never the sharks.I am sure they must use different methods in the western world, like detective work, follow-up, tracking, investigation and major arrests.

Maybe someone on this board has knowledge of procedures in U.S.A., U.K., Australia etc and can comment.

Thai NSB work very closely with the Aussies, Dutch etc...........and don't forget the D.E A......every U.S. Embassy has a team that are very eager to catch the sharks.
  • Like 1

I must admit that I have been among the first to condemn the carriers whenever they get apprehended at the airport. In some ways, I feel sort of sorry for this guy and some of the others who are used by major cartels to carry for them. He probably comes from a dirt poor family where the sound of "One thousand Five Hundred dollars" is jaw droppingly tempting. It would probably lift his family out of debt or his family may even be in danger, who knows.

Until the Thai police start getting serious and follow these mules up through the 'food chain', they will always catch the small fish and never the sharks.I am sure they must use different methods in the western world, like detective work, follow-up, tracking, investigation and major arrests.

Maybe someone on this board has knowledge of procedures in U.S.A., U.K., Australia etc and can comment.

These mules are the bottom of the chain. The problems authorities have is that there would most likely be an overseer on board the flight who the mule would not know. The syndicate may had more then one mule on the flight. One gets caught and the others walk. The overseer would see the mule being led away. An Xray would take time. The syndicate would have time limits for mules to exit. They would have wiped their hands of him if he was to try and do a controlled delivery. The mule would not talk because he would have family back home who would most likely be threatened if he did talk.

That is my theory why the police do not have a lot of success with further arrests.

• Like 1

...an estimated street value of Bt3.5 million (more than US$116,600) at Thailand’s main international airport...

The suspect said he swallowed the packages before leaving the Ghanaian capital of Accra for Thailand, adding that he was hired for Bt45,000 (around $1,500) to carry the drugs.

Initially, he was transferred to the police Narcotics Suppression Bureau for further investigation and legal proceedings.

Meanwhile in Pathum Thani province, Soontorn Sawangwong, 36, was arrested with 180,000 methamphetamine pills, worth Bt40 million (more than $1.33 million), at a department store in Thanyaburi district while waiting to deliver the drug to his agent.

USD value of 116k for the Ghanaian and USD value 1.33 million for the local. Compared to the caught local, the Ghanaian is just a small potato.

Thai NSB work very closely with the Aussies, Dutch etc...........and don't forget the D.E A......every U.S. Embassy has a team that are very eager to catch the sharks.

The Sharks some are powerful Thais citizens

There's a simple word for these continous si dam persons trying to carry off these continual attempts of bringing frozen water into the country.

twits.... :@ 555+

Give it a new name, and it will take Thai officials at least 5 years to recognise it! cheesy.gif

Hot lager would be a good start... giggle.gif

-mel.

Not racist and not trying to be, but these Africans stand out, just plain and simple. It is unfortunate for the good people from Africa that do travel to Thailand for legitimate reasons. But these drug mules would seem to me to be under extra scrutiny as compared to other travelers to Thailand.

It seems more appropriate, based on magnitude, that the Thai found with 40 million THB worth is more noteworthy. In addition, he was waiting for "his agent." Well, why didn't they wait for his agent and run that one up to the next level and on up again? Thais seem more interested in publicizing the busts of small time African runners rather than Thai nationals that can lead to more important "trade network" and Mr. Bigs. This story illustrates very clearly that their priorities are out of whack or they are putting an intentional bias on protecting local Mr. Bigs.

Another one bites the dust.

I really would not like the job of having to be first in for the evidence after the suspect has defecated. bah.gif

It's a shitty job but someone has to do it.

This reminds me of the film Training Day when Denzel Washington shoved the pen down Snoop Dog's throat until he puked the crack he had swallowed. Then Denzel told Ethan Hawk to "gather up the evidence."

Customs officials nab Ghanaian drug smuggler

The Nation

30183581-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- A Ghana national was arrested in Suvarnabhumi Airport on Monday for allegedly trying to smuggle in a kilogram of "ice" flakes worth around Bt3.5 million on the street. The man had allegedly swallowed 60 small bags containing the drug.

Acting on tip-offs coupled with closer inspection, customs officials stopped Kwabena Dwamena, 35, after he disembarked the Ethiopian Airlines flight from the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa. Officials searched his body and luggage before insisting that he undergo an x-ray, which revealed 60 small bags of the drug in his stomach.

Kwabena has been charged with trying to smuggle in illegal drugs with the intent to sell and is currently in custody of the police Narcotics Suppression Bureau.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-06

Beatles spring to mind: "Bye bye life, bye bye history, bye bye memory la lalalala lalala la lala" In other words, he's f.cked! They give him at least 20 years for that. When will they finally learn that Thailand, or Singapore and Malaysia for that matter, isn't the place to smuggle drugs to or from!!!

Edited by pacovl46

It does reinforce the growing sterotype of west african men all being drug smugglers or scam email artists.

If you think of it as a marketting problem then, considering that Thailand has it's home grown drug producers, I don't see the point of bringing drugs here. The local manaufacturers should be able to undercut the importers on pricing. A smart local producer may even have a Quality Assurance team to make sure he only sends out good product. cheesy.gif

Now there's an idea. A drug pedder with ISO9000 certification w00t.gif

Customs officials nab Ghanaian drug smuggler

The Nation

30183581-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- A Ghana national was arrested in Suvarnabhumi Airport on Monday for allegedly trying to smuggle in a kilogram of "ice" flakes worth around Bt3.5 million on the street. The man had allegedly swallowed 60 small bags containing the drug.

Acting on tip-offs coupled with closer inspection, customs officials stopped Kwabena Dwamena, 35, after he disembarked the Ethiopian Airlines flight from the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa. Officials searched his body and luggage before insisting that he undergo an x-ray, which revealed 60 small bags of the drug in his stomach.

Kwabena has been charged with trying to smuggle in illegal drugs with the intent to sell and is currently in custody of the police Narcotics Suppression Bureau.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-06

Is see the Chap 2nd from right is doing that finger and thumb gesture beloved of Thai Teens thumbsup.gif