Flowers In Thailand

crudy21

Just a bit of research really, i own a flower shop here in UK and was thinking of possibly branching out into the Thai market.

Is there much interest in flowers in Thailand, does anyone sent them regularly to their loved ones back home in Farangland or indeed does anyone in Farangland regurarly send them to their tilacs in LOS (or do they just prefer Baht?)

What about funerals and weddings, are floral tributes a big thing over there?

I am aware of the Bangkok flower market and heve indeed visited it, also i have seen several florists shops dotted around but i believe with the right marketing there is a bit of a gap, i might be wrong??

Thanks for any input.

they are very cheap here so you wpn't be getting the huge markup that is available to you in the uk.

People when getting married here tend to make their own bouquets from the many flowers that grow all around.

Thai buddhist funerals use plastic flowers as there is no need for real ones as there is no plot for the body, it is just burned.

most early morning markets have 10 - 20 florists in one place.

if you were to use thailand as a base and export them to the uk by the plane load then theres money to be made, otherwise I think no. but i could be wrong.

good luck.

I never send flowers back to the UK as there is no-one to send them to.

Here?

I have had occasion to give flowers to certain ladies on special occasions.

With regards to funerals and weddings, floral tributes are a big thing. yet many of the floral tributes I have been involved with are hired and not real flowers. Real flower tributes are expensive for many Thai people. In saying that they do also use real flowers too.

Thanks for the interesting replies, i have beeen down that importing flowers from LOS road before but it didn't really work out to well. The Dutch seem to have that market pretty much tied up.

I wasn't aware of the plastic flowers at funerals, makes sence i suppose since there is no permanent plot or memorial, thanks again.

I don't think the plastic flowers in funerals have anything to do with there not being a permanent plot/memorial. If anything, the plastic flowers are a lot more permanent than the natural ones. I would think it is more because the plastic ones, supplied by the funeral organizers, can be used in several funerals.

Buddhist funerals don't always burn the body ..... their are plenty of burial plots in Thailand. Their are also plenty of flower wreaths at funerals sent by loved ones employers ect. Why on earth do you think their are no burial plots in Thailand ? lol ........... Their were probabbly 10 or more real flower wreaths at the last one I went to , and he was burried in a plot ! With a wating plot for his wife when she dies someday , in an area with thousands upon thousands of other plots and dead people. ....... And yes it started in a Bhuddhist temple and ended with praying monks at the site.

While you might think being poor means no plot or creamation, in Thailand the tradition is for people to give money to help with the cost so a poor cousin in Thailand is likely to get the same kind as everyone else in the Faimily and cremation in not the first choice for most familys not withstanding the incorrect assertions about that or the exaguration about plastic flowers being more common than real ones.

Creamation is common and so are plots , and real flowers. They just don't put Cemetarys on the sides of the roads like they do in the west. They are a little harder to notice if you are just driving around but they are there trust me.

Edited by MrRealDeal

The Chinese Thais bury their dead as do many Christians (not mutually exclusive groups).

I know the owners of the local flower shops in my neighborhood, and 20K profits is a very good month for them.

Some farang-oriented shops along Convent, I'm sure do much better, but doubt they would support a farang lifestyle.

On the plus side you're probably not going to get murdered for being successful in that type of business.

Asked my Lassie about bring some 402.gif402.gif402.gif as a gift for her Mum.

She ... cheesy.gif

Why you give her something dead?

We can't eat it?

Why waste your money!

Go down and buy 3 litres of cooking oil ... she will appreciate that more ... and last longer ... smile.png

But MissFarmGirl .. is a practicial type of Lassie ... licklips.gif

I never send flowers back to the UK as there is no-one to send them to.

Here?

I have had occasion to give flowers to certain ladies on special occasions.

With regards to funerals and weddings, floral tributes are a big thing. yet many of the floral tributes I have been involved with are hired and not real flowers. Real flower tributes are expensive for many Thai people. In saying that they do also use real flowers too.

I remember back to around 2004 or 5 one Feburary 14th Valentines day night when out with freinds and ladys of the night on soi 8 Pattay, all the girls were dressed in red and I asked a certain girl if she would like me to buy her some red roses, her reply to me was,

"You can"t eat flower darling".

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1