Rugby:- Australia Vs. Scotland - Will It Really Be A Test For The Aussies?

Rugby:- AUSTRALIA vs. SCOTLAND - will it really be a Test for the Aussies?

The Wallabies' first appearance for 2012 will see them take on Scotland at Newcastle Stadium. This will be Newcastle's first ever rugby union Test match with the 33,000-seater stadium expected to be at capacity to witness the Wallabies' midweek performance.

post-104736-0-06039900-1338776274_thumb. vs post-104736-0-44100900-1338776277_thumb.

Source

Scotland have made six changes and named three debutants for their one-off Test against the Wallabies in Newcastle on this Tuesday night (Australian time).

Source

So you reckon they've got a chance of reversing the result from last time they met, and recovering the hopetoun trophy? I suppose, with home advantage and all, they've got to be in with a shout.

Last time they met, in Goodfellas in Dubai, if memory serves me well, Matt Giteau had a woeful afternoon with the boot, and the Scots won a miserable and depressing game. Obviously, we'll be hoping for more of the same in Newcastle. Though historically, Scotland have not fared well down South.

I'll be running home from school as fast as my little legs will carry me when we get released at 6 o clock, and hopefully catch three-quarters of the game.

SC

Edit: I think its a setanta broadcast on Astro Supersports 2, so it might be on True as well...

Edited by StreetCowboy

SC ... liking your enthusiasm for the game "I'll be running home from school as fast as my little legs will carry me when we get released at 6 o clock, and hopefully catch three-quarters of the game."

Well, this time Matt Giteau is a distant memory and Quade Cooper is being rested as not fit for a test match even though he has played for the Reds after returning from injury.

post-104736-0-15891800-1338785712_thumb.

Australia's Quade Cooper tackles Scotland's Graeme Morrison at Murrayfield

Team Sheets for the game are here.

post-104736-0-60961200-1338785680_thumb.

Promotional Poster.

We've got no chance, without Quade Cooper...

When is he going to change codes?

SC

EDIT: I'm more optimistic against the islanders, especially with Tim Visser and Max Evans in the backs.

We were sat behind three islanders on Saturday, and I have never seen such big muscly chaps... They were built like cartoon villains

Edited by StreetCowboy

Well ... StreetCowboy might be tempted with some live commentary here?

Could well end up looking like this ...

post-104736-0-46234800-1338795216_thumb.

... though somehow I doubt it.

It's the home ground of the Newcastle Knights thay are playing at ...

post-104736-0-90076400-1338795274_thumb.

Ausgrid Stadium

I think the Scots have bought the weather with them for Sydney.

Forget the sunny Photon at the Stadium you see above!

Sydney weather

post-104736-0-93428500-1338879509.png

Heavy Showers, Rain

Wind: S at 71 km/h

Just like a fresh Spring evening for you Scots ...

Edited by David48

I think the Scots have bought the weather with them for Sydney.

Forget the sunny Photon at the Stadium you see above!

Sydney weather

post-104736-0-93428500-1338879509.png

Heavy Showers, Rain

Wind: S at 71 km/h

Just like a fresh Spring evening for you Scots ...

Same as last time they played

SC

EDIT: I see we'll even have the bitter wind wheezing and moaning about us, just like at Murrayield

Edited by StreetCowboy

So you rate yourself as a chance?

If we can't win in a howling gail when its pissing down sideways with rain, when do we stand a chance?

None of this sunny summer rugby for us - save that sort of talk for your six-tackle and kick boys.

The last game I really enjoyed seeing us win was at Pittoddrie in November 2010 (on Astro - its too cold for me up there...) with snow on the shed roofs against Samoa; which is surprising since we've beaten Ireland and South Africa since then; maybe I missed those matches...

Anyway, we'll see what happens. The Scots have been talking up their chances, so that doesn't bode well

SC

• Like 1

From another thread...

Well gentleman (and Lassie if she makes a return), I bid you adieu for the evening.

Tuesday Nights are squash nights and then I have to undo all that good work and hit the pub because the Union Game is not on the Free to Air TV ... <deleted> ... ermm.gif

I hadn't realised that you were thinking of relying solely on my commentary; If I'd have known that, I'd have planned an outrageous wind-up.

My apologies. Ask at the bar if they have any irn bru

SC

Actually I logged back on after I read this information ...

I was going to have a wee wager on the game since I had to watch it at the Pub thinking maybe the Aussies were $1.50 ... $1.40 for the win at the least.

Australia $1.18

Scotland $5.60

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ....

So that's about a 20% spread between the odds, if my calcs and understanding is correct. How much of that is tax?

So the actual odds (neglecting tax and margin) are presumably about 1.2 and 6 (no spread) i.e. 5 - 1.

That would seem resonably complimentary to Scotland

SC

Well, I got home just as they were coming off for half time, so you've got the pleasure of my company for the whole second half; or you can look back wistfully to the peace of the first half...

I caught the first twenty minutes on the BBC Tet, and it sounded like Scotland should be disappointed to be only 6-3 ahead at the oranges. Let's hope that the wind dies down now...

SC

Australia score a penalty in the first minutes of the second half, and continue to apply pressure; all played in the Scotland half this time, and another penalty to Australi, right on the half-way line... off the upright and Scotland bring it back

and straight away another penalty; kicks to the corner

Goal line defence from the Scots, over the line, and the referee passes it to the man upstairs - nah - no chance!

Its tipping down stairrods again, by the way

Edited by StreetCowboy

The pressure's all coming from Australia, camped in the Scottish half, but again, a penalty lets Scotland clear...

Ross Ford is having trouble throwing straight in the wind, though

The Australians aren't finding any way through, and an attempt at a drop goal drifts wide in the wind;

Scotland drop out and the Australians bring it back from half way

Seven minutes to go, and Scotland give away a penalty for the first time in ten or fifteen minutes...

"This for the lead... and its a shocka!"

Scotland four and half minutes to go... the kick out gets returned high in the air for a mark; and Scotland clear again... and they're into the Australian half, a clearance is carried too long past the dead ball line.

Three and a half minutes to go, Scotland scrum in the Australian half...

A good Scottish scrum - Barclay picks up, over the gain line. THis is the first Scottish visit to the Australian half since half time

Phase after phase of 'pick and go'. Two minutes.

"Its not pretty, but at the moment its effective for Scotland"

"Scotland! Scotland!" chant the crowd and a sudden break takes them up to the 22.

Sorry for th typos, I can't take my eyes off the screen

Its Scotland, inside the final minute.

This is the time for a drop goal, but its a big call, against this wind...

Scrum to Scotland after the hooter...

Laidlaw back in the pocket... terrtific scrum from the Scottish, but it wheels and they reset

one and a half minutes after the hooter...

Penalty to Scotland against the Wallaby scrum

'Spare a thought for Greg Laidlaw 2 out of 3 so far tonight'

'Its right in front of the posts, mate'

Some good-humoured boos from the crowd by way of friendly encouragement

Enormous defence and discipline from the Scots and they just did not crack as the Wallabies camped on that 20 metre line hoping that penalties would come, and they did not come...

The turning point was the kick from the wallabies that went long

Back to back wins by Scotland against Australia, with a win in Australia, the first time since 1982, if my recollection of the prematch hype is to be relied upon, Australia 6 - 9 Scotland

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Awesome SC

Stoic Scotland. 9 – 6 over the Wallibies.

The Wallabies were given a lesson in how to play in conditions which could only be described a Scottish Home game.

13C, driving rain and a 60kph wind.

All credit to Scotland who were stoic in defence, patient, played the percentages and after the full-time whistle had been blown, Scotland kick a penalty goal wins it for Scotland.

Can Australia regroup for the first of three games against Wales at Lang Park this Saturday night.

Well done the Boys in Blue ... we salute you ... wai.gif

Awesome SC

Stoic Scotland. 9 – 6 over the Wallibies.

The Wallabies were given a lesson in how to play in conditions which could only be described a Scottish Home game.

13C, driving rain and a 60kph wind.

All credit to Scotland who were stoic in defence, patient, played the percentages and after the full-time whistle had been blown, Scotland kick a penalty goal wins it for Scotland.

Can Australia regroup for the first of three games against Wales at Lang Park this Saturday night.

Well done the Boys in Blue ... we salute you ... wai.gif

I'll be off down to Sid's to share my joy with the Imam

"Greatgameinthestairrods, bytheway. Didyeseethonwind? Ahtoughtyezweregaun'taegethumped inthesecondhalf, actually"

"Faith and determination, Imam. It'll always pull you through. Shouldn't you be drinking up for the call to prayers?"

"Hae a look at this cowboy. Ah've got this grandnewapponmaphone. 'AaaaaAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' "

"AaaaaAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa guinness for table one"

'That's cracking, Imam, that sounds just like you're down at the mosque, but you'll need to work on the background noise'

But before I go, I've got another replay (well, the same one as lunchtime) of the Bradford Castleford game; not surprisingly, Bradford are doing well again... My prediction is a final score in the region of 46 - 32 in favour of Bradford

SC

Edit: In answer to the original question: Apparently yes

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

I predict a narrow win for Scotland

Aye, now the fairweather fans come out... Where were you when it was tipping down stairrods?

I trust you were at home in front of the TV drinking irn bru...

SC