Cashew Tree Wood For Sale

I have 5 rai of land with cashews on it, I will be removing the trees to plant a new type of crop.

Looking for info on what I can do with the trees?

Price they would fetch???

What can be built with them???

What they are good for?

Trees are huge around 30yrs of age. Most about 20" to 30" across the stump. Not around.

Any ideas would be great.

Don't know of much of a market for cashew tree lumber, not around here at least. If you are in a rubber area someone may pay a bit for the fire wood or will cut them down for free. Best of luck and tell us how you go as we have a fair number of trees around here. Jim

I'd certainly save the logs. Googling says they can be used for furniture. They are sometimes called white mahogany. Most wood here in Thailand is expensive.

I'd certainly save the logs. Googling says they can be used for furniture. They are sometimes called white mahogany. Most wood here in Thailand is expensive.

have no idea of lumber values, but I get what I call scrub trees for free. Someone wants to clear some land. Just bought some big coconut trees for 100 baht each and paid the lumber man 200 Baht to fell then and make boards, Don't think you would get many good boards from a cashew nut tree, In saying that if you can make furiture the value may go up. Jim
  • Like 1

have no idea of lumber values, but I get what I call scrub trees for free. Someone wants to clear some land. Just bought some big coconut trees for 100 baht each and paid the lumber man 200 Baht to fell then and make boards, Don't think you would get many good boards from a cashew nut tree, In saying that if you can make furiture the value may go up. Jim

I'm just curious. If the trunks are 20 to 30 inches in diameter, why would you get very few good boards?

Trees are at the end of their production cycle they are 38+ years of age.

I am not into picking up nuts anymore or trying to find people to do it.

It's time for a change of crop.

I am in Srisaket province.

What part of Thailand are you in?

Emerald triangle. Jim

That's pretty far from me. I'm in the golden triangle.

Transport alone would make it not worthwile

---

You can't take the lumber out of the area without a permit. We use the crap wood for the rubber smokers, any good lumber is used to make trappers huts etc. Local use only, if you were caught with a truck load at a road bloke and did not have all the correct paper work, it would be off to jail for a fair length of time, Jim

How hard are those permits to get? People used to tell me that you could move pigs unless...... but the reality was the paperwork was easy to get and cheap. Same thing happened with the yearly excise tax approvals which we were told were so expense (40 baht for 3).

Has anyone tried to get the lumber movement approval?

How hard are those permits to get? People used to tell me that you could move pigs unless...... but the reality was the paperwork was easy to get and cheap. Same thing happened with the yearly excise tax approvals which we were told were so expense (40 baht for 3).

Very hard to impossible. We are a national parks area and any hardwoods, teak etc have to be certifide plantation grown. Paper work starts when you plant the trees. Other trees like in a rice paddy you are supposed to get a forestry guy to see the tree before it;s cut down. If there is no paper work you go to jail. We have to pay a fee to transport the smoker wood to the factory. Locals make charcoal, but that is technically illegal and that can't be sold out side the 3 villages. Government turns a bit of a blind eye to the locals as this is how they have lived for a long time, but if anyone be it lumber or hunting trys to sell for profit you will go to jail. This year anyone found inside the national park on a motorbike and does not live local will lose the bike on the spot. Rangers and border soldiers are out and about at all times. Jim

Very hard to impossible. We are a national parks area and any hardwoods, teak etc have to be certifide plantation grown. Paper work starts when you plant the trees. Other trees like in a rice paddy you are supposed to get a forestry guy to see the tree before it;s cut down. If there is no paper work you go to jail. We have to pay a fee to transport the smoker wood to the factory. Locals make charcoal, but that is technically illegal and that can't be sold out side the 3 villages. Government turns a bit of a blind eye to the locals as this is how they have lived for a long time, but if anyone be it lumber or hunting trys to sell for profit you will go to jail. This year anyone found inside the national park on a motorbike and does not live local will lose the bike on the spot. Rangers and border soldiers are out and about at all times. Jim

Learn something new every day. Thanks, I cleared 12 rai years ago of maybe a hundred trees and always wondered why the "lumber" guy dragged them all off into the scrub to cut them up. TIT. Today you can buy a chainsaw not not one with a decent bar on it, that you have to buy separately. Same place, same day but different Bin!

Easier here to get a hand gun permit than a license for a chainsaw. Think last year I posted about a tapper of mine decided to go in the logging industry. 4000 Baht a day. a few days later the national news had camaras set up and there were soldiers on road blocks all over the area, every thing was searhed and a few none locals [ truck drivers] ended up with some serious time. The going rate for felling a hard wood tree on your land without a permit is 30,000 Baht per trees. . Jim

PS how does a night at the vikings place on the 23rd Sat sound.