Any Idea Where To Get Cheap Aircons?

mucacho

I made the mistake of ordering a reputable brand air con through a chain store once as their price was the best at that time, One year later the aircon needed gas because the installer had used aluminum pipes and fittings instead of recommended copper pipe and fittings and they had cracked allowing the gas to escape. All the pipes had to be replaced with copper as it should have been in the first place.

I bought my Aircon unit from Numchai approx 6 weeks ago, all was great until it died after a month, so they came out to look, they said it was not there problem, they had to get LG out to look at it, i might have to wait a few days.

The LG man came and said the problem was not LG's and it was Numchai's problem with the installation.

If the first guy had of looked properly he might have seen this the first day, but no, he didn't even give it a chance, so for 5 days i was left without Air in my bedroom, it got fixed eventually.

I recently saw the same unit in another electrical shop at the same price that I paid, so i think the prices may be the same at most places.

There is a Mitsubishi store on Suhkimvit. Don't know if they have the BEST prices, but they are a quality unit. I have had mine for 5 years with no problems... You might also check with Irish Aircon.. they do installation and I have also used them for 5 years to service my unit with annual cleaning etc.

There is a shop on Chaiyapruek 2, opposite the market, corner shop on the block with the 2 ATM's, they are quite good with their prices, they also often have some very good second hand units cheap.

• Like 2

There is a shop on Chaiyapruek 2, opposite the market, corner shop on the block with the 2 ATM's, they are quite good with their prices, they also often have some very good second hand units cheap.

I used that shop for two new Daikin's and they are inexpensive and do a professional installation job

Go to the manufacturer's website for detailed info. When you have found what you want, check the price for the model(s) here:

http://www.topcoolair.com/

* NOTE:

These are dealer prices (aka MSRP). For those who may not understand how dealer pricing works, it means a fair dealer profit margin is already included. "All" dealers will buy from the factory at the listed dealer price. The factory (or distributor) will offer a margin to the dealer based upon how much product the dealer sells. So, for example, a new dealer might be offered a 25% margin. This means that dealer can buy the unit from the factory at 25% less than the listed dealer price. An established dealer which sells lots of units might be offered a 35% margin. This means that dealer can buy the unit from the factory at 35% less than the listed dealer price. On top of these margins, the factory may also offer rebates (sell x units or $x of product and get a refund at the end of the quarter/year) and other incentives which the dealer keeps.

IMHO, any dealer selling above the dealer price is a rip-off (unless the product is in very high demand). So, when negotiating the price you will pay for the air conditioner, know that the dealer price should be your upper limit and that the dealer has some wiggle room.

• Like 1

I saw in Power Buy both at Tukcom and Central Festival they were selling off new Samsung AS13ug models for 13900. I nearly bought one myself.

If you check the link above 13,900 is the MSRP for that model

There are many Air Conditioning suppliers who install as well. It is what they do to survive in business. I think it is better to get with one of these guys.

Big C, Tescos et al supply many products from food to TVs, but selling air con units can only account for a tiny percentage of their turnover, hence the interest and knowledge when you talk to them.

Numchai also have a good name, but again, only a fraction of their total sales. I have bought many TVs and other equipment from them, but did not consider them when buying air cons. Not their core business.

One other thing. There are many "name" brands sold here, all made here in Thailand. There are also many "unknown": brands which these small shops can advise on. These are made in the same factories. I installed one of these in a Classic Villa house, same spec as the name brand factory it was made in. I think I saved 25% on supply and fit.

List of questions you need to ask. Try Big C / Tesco /Numchai and then try a small ac shop. See where you get the comprehensive answers from.

1. What size do I need for my room, based on sq metres?

2. What about circuit breakers and electricity supply?

3. Are your installers "in house" or just contracted in for each installation?

4. Who fixes it under the guaranteed maintenance period?

• Like 1

I saw in Power Buy both at Tukcom and Central Festival they were selling off new Samsung AS13ug models for 13900. I nearly bought one myself.

I bought this model from Powerbuy today. The MSRP (according to that site) is 13,900 if you pay cash and that doesn't include the 2000thb installation making it 15,900thb if paid in cash all said and done (again according to that site).

Well I used my scb credit card and received 3% discount from the cash price which brought it to 13,483 thb installed for the 13,000btu model. Also, I only get charged 3,370thb per billing cycle on my SCB card for 4 months. So even though I pay the full 13,483thb it is spread out over 4 monthly billing cycles (more than 5 months). This makes it much easier on the budget for us. They will be here tomorrow to install it.

I did stop by the place mentioned on Chaiyapruek 2 to inquire and they sold the same unit for 18,900 and after showing him the ad he agreed to sell it for 14k with free installation. Of course this was the cash price and no discount or extended payment plan for using the SCB card.

I'm sure you could find a 9000btu unit even cheaper if that is all you need.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

I bought this model from Powerbuy today. The MSRP (according to that site) is 13,900 if you pay cash and that doesn't include the 2000thb installation making it 15,900thb if paid in cash all said and done (again according to that site).

Well I used my scb credit card and received 3% discount from the cash price which brought it to 13,483 thb installed for the 13,000btu model. Also, I only get charged 3,370thb per billing cycle on my SCB card for 4 months. So even though I pay the full 13,483thb it is spread out over 4 monthly billing cycles (more than 5 months). This makes it much easier on the budget for us. They will be here tomorrow to install it.

I did stop by the place mentioned on Chaiyapruek 2 to inquire and they sold the same unit for 18,900 and after showing him the ad he agreed to sell it for 14k with free installation. Of course this was the cash price and no discount or extended payment plan for using the SCB card.

Are you happy with this model so far. I'm still thinking of getting one.

Are you happy with this model so far. I'm still thinking of getting one.

It's being installed as we speak... I did however purchase a similar samsung from Lotus about 8 months ago for my home office and it works just fine. That is one reason I went with Samsung again..