O-A Extension When Out Of Country

I know there was a thread on this a while back but can not find it. If one is out of Thailand when the yearly O-A extension date comes due, what have folks done? Is it possible to get the extension when you get back, or is it best to just get a new visa from a Thai consulate such as the ones in LA or Portland?

The visa has expired and you need to get a new one. Portland is an Honorary Consulate and will not issue O/A visas, only LA, NY, DC and Chicago.

Believe you are talking about a one year extension of stay for retirement obtained from Immigration inside Thailand. This is not called O-A (which is only obtained from a Consulate in your country of residence with police check and medical). If you can not obtain the extension prior to leaving and your stay ends while abroad getting a single entry non immigrant O visa from any Thai Consulate is your best option and then 60 days after return extend again.

Believe you are talking about a one year extension of stay for retirement obtained from Immigration inside Thailand. This is not called O-A (which is only obtained from a Consulate in your country of residence with police check and medical). If you can not obtain the extension prior to leaving and your stay ends while abroad getting a single entry non immigrant O visa from any Thai Consulate is your best option and then 60 days after return extend again.

Lopburi3, always appreciate your inputs. It is an O-A issued in the states. The timing does not work out for an early extension so hence the question. If I follow you, there is no way to extend my current visa but rather I need to get a new visa itself? Is that correct?

Is the visa multi entry (believe they all are from US) and still valid for entry? You could make a border run today if so and get a new permission to stay until June 2013 and then obtain a re-entry permit for your travel.