Hardliner Put In Place To Flex His Muscles At Protesters: Bangkok

webfact

The very nub of the problem is that the courts can't remove the appearance of chasing an agenda, and that issue goes way back beyond Yingluck and trying to push through a bill. We all know what Yingluck/Thaksin's agenda is, and many court decisions for many years have been shown apparently to go this way or that depending on circumstance and necessity.

I agree with your post entirely, and I realise and agree that the problem has been here a lot longer than Yingluck or Thaksin. My main point was that the country has enjoyed over a year of relative peace and quiet, PTP could easily have played the game completely differently and used their elected platform to administer sweeping infrastructure changes that help the poor, learned from their mismanagement of the floods, improved road safety and water management and so many other things. If they had done those things, or even started doing those things, while avoiding opening old societal wounds, there would be no mobs or security forces on the streets and no problems, and we would all still be enjoying the peace and quiet that has existed in this country for the last year or so.

But PTP have not pursued this reformist modernising agenda to help the poor, they have simply tried to tinker with LM and also to absolve the massive crimes of some very guilty people indeed.

And the manner they did this - to try to rush bills through blindly, almost anonymously, has kicked over the proverbial hornet's nest, and I agree with you that the hornet's nest has been here for a long time before PTP arrived. I just have a hard time blaming the hornet's nest when some fool kicks it over.

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 2

"Matters in the political ring are heating up as Thaksin and the ruling Pheu Thai Party are raring to push through"

You know why don't you?

Cos he's got no ruddy money left! 555 + 555++

-mel

The very nub of the problem is that the courts can't remove the appearance of chasing an agenda, and that issue goes way back beyond Yingluck and trying to push through a bill. We all know what Yingluck/Thaksin's agenda is, and many court decisions for many years have been shown apparently to go this way or that depending on circumstance and necessity.

I agree with your post entirely, and I realise and agree that the problem has been here a lot longer than Yingluck or Thaksin. My main point was that the country has enjoyed over a year of relative peace and quiet, PTP could easily have played the game completely differently and used their elected platform to administer sweeping infrastructure changes that help the poor, learned from their mismanagement of the floods, improved road safety and water management and so many other things. If they had done those things, or even started doing those things, while avoiding opening old societal wounds, there would be no mobs or security forces on the streets and no problems, and we would all still be enjoying the peace and quiet that has existed in this country for the last year or so.

But PTP have not pursued this reformist modernising agenda to help the poor, they have simply tried to tinker with LM and also to absolve the massive crimes of some very guilty people indeed.

And the manner they did this - to try to rush bills through blindly, almost anonymously, has kicked over the proverbial hornet's nest, and I agree with you that the hornet's nest has been here for a long time before PTP arrived. I just have a hard time blaming the hornet's nest when some fool kicks it over.

I don't disagree, but all that the coup, all the mucking around, yellows, reds, army, protests, shooting and all the rest managed to do is to postpone the inevitable until maybe today. And people believing that postponing it now, will mean that in some way, the problem goes away are wrong too.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else, but this is maybe going to come to a head in the next two weeks, and all we as farangs can do is watch this space. There are so many things wrong with the political system here, I don't know where to start, but coups don't work anymore, street protests by reds and yellows can't be allowed to work anymore. It is such a mess, and it is the judicial system that put us here today, all because of downright expediency deciding that nominees didn't extend to maids.

Where it should end and where it will end, are so far apart that it is barely worth thinking about. They are really going to write a law to expunge wrongdoings by so many on so many sides, with one massive beneficiary of course, to supposedly right a wrong. But then of course, courts are above criticism, free debate gets squashed by nationalism, and Thailand appears to keep on chugging more or less.

This time however, I believe they will pass their law, legal history will be re-written in Thailand, and in a month or two, there will be a sitting government maybe with TS at the top or not. This is the likely reality we have to deal with, or will the army step in, so we will have some chaos either way. The only constant is change, so look lively out there. Could be a good few months.

Police to follow international standard in protest response

image_20120607170741C669F259-E575-8F80-CA4959248D57198B.jpg

BANGKOK, June 7 -- Deputy National Police Chief Adul Saengsingkaew on Thursday urged the police to oversee the ongoing political rallies in the capital in line with international security standards.

Pol Gen Adul visited officers providing security and maintaining law and order at the protest venues in front of Parliament and at the Royal Plaza.

He instructed the police to handle the situation in line with international security standards and that their performance must be accepted by the public.

Currently, the pro-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), the Red Shirts, are gathering near Parliament on U-Thong Nai Road to seek the impeachment of seven Constitution Court judges who issued an injunction for the House of Representatives to suspend voting on the third reading of the charter amendment bill. Meanwhile, the Peoples’ Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the yellow shirts, and the Santi Asoke Buddhist sect are rallying against the debate and vote on the proposed reconciliation bills at the nearby Royal Plaza.

Three companies of police have been deployed at the protest sites, and the connecting roadway, the deputy national police chief explained, saying that about 10 companies of police are on standby as reinforcements within three hours of being requested.

Although the rallies have been running smoothly and peacefully, Gen Adul explained that the authorities must assess the overall situation frequently.

In addition, Gen Adul said that Pol Maj-Gen Kamronwit Thoopkrachang, acting city police chief, has full authority to manage and control the overall situation with stringent anti-riot measures under the so-called Korakot 52 Operation Plan.

He believed that Gen Kamronwit will be able to deal with the situation and was not worried about the confrontation between the red shirt supporters and the Santi Asoke movement. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-06-07

Any bets on if he is significantly MORE hardline against Yellows than Reds?

hope so - I was heartened that they have got a stricter person to stop yellows disrupting a democratically elected parliament. The election was held and the people spoke (not TV armchair experts) but Thai people and they should be allowed to continue without hindrance from the yellow mob

hope so - I was heartened that they have got a stricter person to stop yellows disrupting a democratically elected parliament. The election was held and the people spoke (not TV armchair experts) but Thai people and they should be allowed to continue without hindrance from the yellow mob

Providing they adhere to the normal checks & balances that a democratically elected government should do, stay within the letter and spirit of the law, and not abuse the power the people have granted them...

For some reason, quote function won't work:

"It is believed that Winai himself did not want to be in charge when things got tough"

It seemst there are two types of leaders in this country; those described above and those who, at the slightest provocation will go balistic ape sh#t and just beat and/or kill everybody.

Yes, I remember some chap who was known as Sae Daeng; he was of the belief that being a hardliner would ensure that everyone stayed in line. Can't exactly remember what happened to him.....

Edited by GeorgeO

Surely there is another Shin clan member somewhere who can take over the role of Chief of Police when the current one retires? It's not like they need to the best qualified for the job or anything.

Oak? aka Panthonthae.

Hardliner put in place to flex his muscles at protesters

Any bets that he will not be flexing any muscle against the red shirts.

It looks like they will take some serious action against any red shirts breaking the law.

post-6428-0-03641200-1339074629_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Surely there is another Shin clan member somewhere who can take over the role of Chief of Police when the current one retires? It's not like they need to the best qualified for the job or anything.

Oak? aka Panthonthae.

Not really. He looks like he'd faint at the sound of a gun.

This writer misses the mean between the extremes. In recent US protests, police arrested some 700 demonstrators. It is possible to be tough in enforcing the law without resorting to the violent suppression of two years ago.

It is one thing to lodge a peaceful protest to voice your opinion and quite another to disrupt the business of parliment. A hardliner is what they need to prevent the yellows from disrupting the business of the country again. Nobody seemed to be up in arms when the red shirt protesters were being gunned down. At least having a police hardliner in place will not be likely to result in the mass murder of peaceful protesters.

hope so - I was heartened that they have got a stricter person to stop yellows disrupting a democratically elected parliament.

I think the Red Shirt mob refer to the above as "Double Standards".

:rolleyes:

hope so - I was heartened that they have got a stricter person to stop yellows disrupting a democratically elected parliament.

Yeah, the yellow shirt mob refers to it as "justice."

It is one thing to lodge a peaceful protest to voice your opinion and quite another to disrupt the business of parliment. A hardliner is what they need to prevent the yellows from disrupting the business of the country again. Nobody seemed to be up in arms when the red shirt protesters were being gunned down. At least having a police hardliner in place will not be likely to result in the mass murder of peaceful protesters.

Nobody seemed to be up in arms when the red shirt protesters disrupted the business of the country 2 years ago.

"Mass murder of peaceful protesters" Give your head a shake!

Yeah, the yellow shirt mob refers to it as "justice."

The yellow shirts would call it justice if they are treated harsher than red shirts?

:wacko:

if you say so

Were all the red shirts that were shot burning down building and lobbing grenades? can you see my point? maybe the yellows that died were not involved in the violence, but the same can be said of many of the reds that died, and lets not even start comparing numbers as you will be on a loser right away, not even all those that died were red shirts, there were medical staff, reporters etc etc etc........

There is an old saying that, IMO, applies; "Lie down with dogs, wake up with fleas" Even if you are not a dog!

Reality is that, if you are at any type of gathering or crowd of people and you see people making barricades, sharpening bamboo sticks, clubs, slingshots, etc, etc, then that is the time for any intelligent and sane person to rapidly remove themselves from that area. Because in that situation, sooner or later, the shit will hit the fan and you have a chance of some of it splattering on you. And all the excuses or good intentions will not matter. Whether you were throwing grenades or not will not matter. That is reality!

• Like 2

Not alone, but they will appear to act and feign ineffectuality against them. It's a charade of course.

Or don't you think Thai Police follow the money as much or more than all others?

this article is getting exactly the reactions it was hoping for ie if there's trouble at the pad rallies it's because of that 'muscly' bad policeman and his police especially picking on the pad over anyone else etc etc yadda yadda yadda.

suggesting this will scare people away from rallying is just laughable, unless of course you think a staunch pad supporter will say "well actually i don't think i'll go now cos mr muscle is in charge"

absolute balls.

i'll believe it if i see it, until then it's nothing but hyperbole.

Providing they adhere to the normal checks & balances that a democratically elected government should do, stay within the letter and spirit of the law, and not abuse the power the people have granted them...

let's hear what the Attorney Generals Office had to say:

State prosecutors have decided against submitting petitions against the government's charter amendment bill to the Constitution Court.

Nobody seemed to be up in arms when the red shirt protesters disrupted the business of the country 2 years ago.

"Mass murder of peaceful protesters" Give your head a shake!

ahhh I remember that - you mean the same as the yellows did at the airports? is there a pattern emerging? go think about it