What You Like Doing Best On Your Farm,{Keep It Clean Ish}

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow david,,

what a view, make sure its only coffee with a drop like that we wouldnt want to loose you,,lol

jake

Thanks Jake..yes I have replaced the rope with bamboo now..one of the step daughters actually did drop the 3m off the end of the veranda...not a scratch but would not talk to me for an hour or so ..like it was my fault for her running and slipping!

Tend to stay seated while under the influence...biggrin.png

Waking up and drinking coffee...smile.png

Meh, you mountain people with your glorious views.....

Us valley folk laugh at the number of stairs you need to climb and your silly windy roads.

Not in Thailand just now, but when I am, love to get down on the farm with the step daughter and her hubby.

Mainly watching as, things are done differently than what I learnt, growing up on the farm.

Always good fun, and I miss it, when back in Aus.

Edited by kevjohn

Waking up and drinking coffee...smile.png

Meh, you mountain people with your glorious views.....

Us valley folk laugh at the number of stairs you need to climb and your silly windy roads.

fricking expensive winding roads too!bah.gif

post-36430-0-82833800-1339116615_thumb.j

post-36430-0-82887800-1339116671_thumb.j

post-36430-0-99282700-1339116732_thumb.j

funny you say you stay seated under the infuence,

ive known chairs move and tip me out of them when im under the influence,,lol

I had a chair in my apartment in Dhaka attack me a few years ago.

It bruised me badly, threw my clothes all over the room and hid my glasses under the bed and it took me 20 minutes the next morning to find them.

It seemed to have a friend called Stroh 80 proof rum who lowered my defenses enough for the cowardly chair to savage me.

What do I like doing best? That is an extremely difficult question to answer for me. I have sat here with my morning coffee staring at it for an hour, and I still havent got a clue!

IsaanAussie ... you've got me thinking ... considering the Time Differences ... did you brew your coffee at 4.30 this morning (Thai Time) ... or was your comment a metaphor for the relaxing Farming style that you enjoy now ... rolleyes.gif

Edited by David48

lol,, like it, it funny how the furniture can attack,

We have a coupe of roadside vendor wicker loungers...had mate stay a couple of years back...sat down too far back.with his Archer....lounger tipped.....did a perfect back somersault ..ended up sitting on the floor still holding the bottle..think the wife wet herselfbiggrin.png

What do I like doing best? That is an extremely difficult question to answer for me. I have sat here with my morning coffee staring at it for an hour, and I still havent got a clue!

IsaanAussie ... you've got me thinking ... considering the Time Differences ... did you brew your coffee at 4.30 this morning (Thai Time) ... or was your comment a metaphor for the relaxing Farming style that you enjoy now ... rolleyes.gif

come on everybody knows farmers ...early to bed early to rise etc....and absolutely no guilt about a beer before the sun is over the yard armcoffee1.gif

Learned my lesson years ago, helping out the workers just slows and confuses all. FIL showed me the error of my ways and bought me a hammock to hang beside his. Better to swing and watch then to sweat. Now the only difference between him and me is I take a 6 pack to keep hydrated. Jim

• Like 1

I've described what I like to do at the Lassie's Farm here

Couple of photos etc ... to big to re-post here ... but thanks pigeonjake for the inspiration.

OH ... while I have you good Farming Folk's attention, I have a small thread running about Funny, Wacky and Amusing signs that you see in your day to day travels in Thailand.

If you see one when when you are out and about or have a few which made you chuckle stored on your computer then pop over to my thread here and post them if you like.

Today we had the press descend on us again, both local print and TV. Not to do with the farm but with us as a couple. After a day or so of thinking about it it isnt about the routine stuff that has to happen it is about what motivates you to get out of bed and start selling what you make, grow and add value to. (By the way that is usually around 4:30 and I wish it was brewed not instant coffee.)

I am motivated by my wife and have been for over ten years. She is why I am here. I enjoy the pigs and watching everything we get done reduce the workload. Oldest S I like my few quiet hours every day on the pitchfork turning compost.

What do I like best? Got to be the whole 9 yards...

To be honest, I'm not talking about farming here. I have only been growing veggies on a couple of small plots the last 5 years. What I really love , and it really is an obsession, is seeing my red clay concrete turning to a really nice soil.

I've introduced a lot of cow manure into my compost heaps and really showing results.

This morning, I went to a neighbours place to collect a few bags of kee wooa. They hadn't taken their 3 cows out yet and so I got in the stall with them and procceded to shovel the stuff into bags. The smallest cow, no longer a calf, but still very inquisitive kept getting in the way. I'd give it a scratch above its nose and tell it to move back a bit. Then everytime I'd bend down, the cow would give me a nudge.

Anyway the cow sh*t was very wet, hopefully with plenty of urine, so very heavy. I had to hoist the bag up and over the bamboo rails to the cart. The bag split! It seemed as lot more sloppy than when I put it in.

I'm sure that the cow was laughing at me :D I was covered in it!

Maybe not my best day, but writing this now is making me grin. Even the bad time are good :)

• Like 2

To be honest, I'm not talking about farming here. I have only been growing veggies on a couple of small plots the last 5 years. What I really love , and it really is an obsession, is seeing my red clay concrete turning to a really nice soil.

I've introduced a lot of cow manure into my compost heaps and really showing results.

This morning, I went to a neighbours place to collect a few bags of kee wooa. They hadn't taken their 3 cows out yet and so I got in the stall with them and procceded to shovel the stuff into bags. The smallest cow, no longer a calf, but still very inquisitive kept getting in the way. I'd give it a scratch above its nose and tell it to move back a bit. Then everytime I'd bend down, the cow would give me a nudge.

Anyway the cow sh*t was very wet, hopefully with plenty of urine, so very heavy. I had to hoist the bag up and over the bamboo rails to the cart. The bag split! It seemed as lot more sloppy than when I put it in.

I'm sure that the cow was laughing at me biggrin.png I was covered in it!

Maybe not my best day, but writing this now is making me grin. Even the bad time are good smile.png

Good for you, the simple things seem the best. JIm

Today we had the press descend on us again, both local print and TV. Not to do with the farm but with us as a couple. After a day or so of thinking about it it isnt about the routine stuff that has to happen it is about what motivates you to get out of bed and start selling what you make, grow and add value to. (By the way that is usually around 4:30 and I wish it was brewed not instant coffee.)

I am motivated by my wife and have been for over ten years. She is why I am here. I enjoy the pigs and watching everything we get done reduce the workload. Oldest S I like my few quiet hours every day on the pitchfork turning compost.

What do I like best? Got to be the whole 9 yards...

What channel and when. Jim

hi loong,

great story that make me laugh,,

makes me think about the time im cleaning the pigs out, half grown, and i fell over laid in the bloody stuff, and all the pigs round me nudging me, and im sure i could here them laughing, i know the wife did when i got to the house coverd in s--t, lol,,

jake

When I retired, my friends told me that I would be bored to tears. They were wrong. I enjoy being lazy and although I have many things I could be doing, I prefer to just relax. We have a small weekend house (very small) built overlooking our pond. I like to sit on the front porch and watch the sun go down over the mountains. I'd enjoy staying there overnight once in a while but there is no electricity available. The generator interrupts the peace and quiet.

For me having a balance has been the key to long lasting joy on the farm. I enjoy weeding, pulling up the 'mai arab' prickly weeds and rampant 'lucy' grass so that our fruit trees can flourish, adding some pig manure for faster growth.

After that it's time for a break, read the paper in the hammock next to the pond, play the guitar,learn some new tunes from youtube or even watch a documentary.

Then back to work, but maybe something different, swimming in the pond, collecting the cherry shells that are determined to eat the 'pakboong', cutting the grass with the strimmer, check out the rubber plantation to make sure excess rainwater is draining off okay, or conversely, check the rice fields to make sure there's enough water.

Growing things in the tropics is fun, things happen so fast, but not too fast you don't have time to control the situation!

Finally, the first Leo of the day at sunset in the hammock, earned after a hard day's work. It takes two to have any noticeable effect, but the pleasure of the first cool glass is immeasurable!

• Like 1

graet stuff gary,

there wasnt electric were we live i had to get thepoles put in andwire to the house it cost me 25,000,

you keep enjoying mate

We bought that property (10 rai) about four or five years ago. It is only about 500 meters from our small village. We were assured that the wide dirt road would be paved and that electricity and power poles would be put in the next year. The seller didn't tell us that. A contractor told us that he had the contract for the road. It DIDN'T happen but that was no great surprise at least to me. The small house is about 100 meters from the road. It would be a great place to build a house.