Bangkok Call 'Center Scam' Gang Drove British Soldier To Commit Suicide

webfact

BKK Call 'Center Scam' Gang Drove British Soldier To Commit Suicide

1184171.jpg

Bangkok police arrested a 'call center' scam gang operating from a rented house on Sukhumvit road. The gangs modus operandi: entice the victims to reveal their personal information and transfer their money to the scammers' bank account. One of the victims an ex-British soldier lost his saving and killed himself.

BANGKOK – June 6, 2012 [PDN]; Pol. Maj. Gen. Pisit Pisutsak, Deputy Commissioner, Pol. Col. Piyawat Boonyeunanon, Superintendent and Pol. Col. Naphunvuth Thonglor police station arrested ten foreigners members of an international ‘ call center’ gang operating from a rented house at 138/9 Soi Sukhumvit 39, Bangkok.

Pol. Maj. Gen. Pisit said that the police had been informed by the British embassy that a group of foreigners had cheated money from a retired British soldier who later committed suicide in desperation over his lost life savings.

The ‘call center’ gang of foreigners had entered into Thailand as tourists. At the Sukhumvit Soi 39 house their day-to-day work was split into three groups: the first group made random phone calls to the victims; the second group persuaded the victims to invest money into the scam and the third group was responsible for the transfer of money into their bank account.

Full story: http://www.pattayada...commit-suicide/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2012-06-08

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could a retired British soldier be duped into surrendering his life savings by a guy in that picture with the #2 tattooed on his arm? What was the con? And then he committed suicide? The embassy reported that he comiited suicide as the result of losing his money to this scam? How is all this possible?

• Like 2

Complete and utter scum, scum, scum. These scumbags are standing in bars throughout Thailand boasting about their antics. I met two in CM recently, and I gave them both barrels, they weren't expecting that.

Ostracise these people, if they walk into your bar then walk out, they spend their days picking the pockets of pensioners and others.

There is no middle ground, don't let this scum think they are welcome anywhere near you. They are a disgrace to the human race.

I don't wish to quibble, but I think you are far too kind. You claim they are a disgrace to the human race. Are you sure they are human?

Good on you for telling them off.

Well, GK - I am for once in full and enthusiastic agreement with you. Great stuff!

• Like 1

Complete and utter scum, scum, scum. These scumbags are standing in bars throughout Thailand boasting about their antics. I met two in CM recently, and I gave them both barrels, they weren't expecting that.

Ostracise these people, if they walk into your bar then walk out, they spend their days picking the pockets of pensioners and others.

There is no middle ground, don't let this scum think they are welcome anywhere near you. They are a disgrace to the human race.

Well it is bad....but there are a lot much worse things than cheating some money out of pensioners who think to make an unreasonable profit.

• Like 1

Well it is bad....but there are a lot much worse things than cheating some money out of pensioners who think to make an unreasonable profit.

what is the cut of point between a reasonable and an unreasonable profit?

• Like 1

Sir,

You are either

Talking through a hole in your ass as you truly don't know what you are talking about or....

You sincerely believe that systematically targeting elderly and vulnerable people is fair game or....

You are trolling.

Let's give you another option, in that you have made a genuine mistake and would like to withdraw that remark.

Over to you Sir, and up to you.

I have to agree with Blether here, also there is no mention of an unreasonable profit, an offer of an unreasonable profit would raise flags with most people but these people offer reasonable returns, this is an easier way to get people to part with their money for investment.

I don't wish to quibble, but I think you are far too kind. You claim they are a disgrace to the human race. Are you sure they are human?

Good on you for telling them off.

Well, GK - I am for once in full and enthusiastic agreement with you. Great stuff!

Ya he does occasionally come up with some rock solid info.

I was wondering if this is just not the tip of the iceberg. Their are many such centers around the world. I am reasonably sure that there are far more suicides as a result of their actions.

I lived in a town of 100,000 population in B. C. Canada and they broke two pf those operations in that little town.

I do not disagree with the above comments as to how low these individuals are on the evolutionary scale, but come on!!! People get into these scams because they want to make easy money NOW. They let their own greed dupe them into believing the scammer. It is a shame that someone had to lose his life as a result of this scam, but sooner or later one has to believe what we have always been told: "If it sounds too good to be true, it is".

True for some, not for all. Please don't be offended however your attitude is part of the problem, you are not recognizing the scale and sophistication of this scourge.

Anyone that's interested, google SAS Fire and Security Services, this company was exposed in Scotland, convicted in England. They took £18 million in 3 years using the techniques that the boiler room scum use.

£18 million in 3 years.

They bullied, lied, intimidated, harassed and used up to 29 techniques that are banned by the Office of Fair Trading.

The boiler room boys are in Thailand because of it's lax attitude to this type of scam. Go on youtube and search for boiler room calls. Your blood will run cold the next time you see this scum when you really understand what they do for a living.

The victims truly are victims, don't give this scum the time of day.

Or try to justify there doings.

Most people who try to justify it with sayings are clueless as to how different minds can work. They have absolutely no idea how smooth these scammers can be and how gullible and mentally challenged others can be and no idea that they are just being indifferent and could care less.

Agree with several earlier posters that the elderly are easy target not only because of age-related dementia, but because of some prescription drugs completely numb the person's brain and make them very trusting and docile.

Also I am interested in why this story misses many details, the addition of the 'soldier' part is obvious journalism it is an 'emotive' and makes people angry when a possible war-hero has been conned. I'm more surprised they haven't given out more details on the con itself or the culprits.

• Like 1

Yes they're worse than your average drug dealer.

At least with those you get what you pay for.

Ripoffs do occur with sub-standard product but not nearly as much as you might think because that's bad for business.

what is the cut of point between a reasonable and an unreasonable profit?

So what you are saying when you cheat some one out of money there is allowed a reasonable profit.

Sounds like a used car salesman to me.

Great to see HMG taking some action.

By way of context for income generated by way of scams against individual some info: In the Australian state of Queensland (population 4 million) people who go online in search of love are being fleeced of $1.4 million a month by online scammers, often left shattered and financially destitute. This is a police report go to: http://www.courierma...f-1226353807999

So extending financial scams to a gobal level it will be in the billions of dollars a year.

Edited by simple1

These con artists are the sort you wouldn't waste good urine on if they were on fire, they really are a lower form of life, can't be bothered getting a real job, form a syndacate and go scamming.

By way of context for income generated by way of scams against individual some info: In the Australian state of Queensland (population 4 million) people who go online in search of love are being fleeced of $1.4 million a month by online scammers, often left shattered and financially destitute. This is a police report go to: http://www.courierma...f-1226353807999

So extending financial scams to a gobal level it will be in the billions of dollars a year.

I can imagine people from that part of Aussie being gullible and unloveable - or maybe I don't understand Aussie humour. The initial suggestion was made to me by two Aussie friends, one from Perth and the other from Adelaide. wink.png

I do not disagree with the above comments as to how low these individuals are on the evolutionary scale, but come on!!! People get into these scams because they want to make easy money NOW. They let their own greed dupe them into believing the scammer. It is a shame that someone had to lose his life as a result of this scam, but sooner or later one has to believe what we have always been told: "If it sounds too good to be true, it is".

True for some, not for all. Please don't be offended however your attitude is part of the problem, you are not recognizing the scale and sophistication of this scourge.

Anyone that's interested, google SAS Fire and Security Services, this company was exposed in Scotland, convicted in England. They took £18 million in 3 years using the techniques that the boiler room scum use.

£18 million in 3 years.

They bullied, lied, intimidated, harassed and used up to 29 techniques that are banned by the Office of Fair Trading.

The boiler room boys are in Thailand because of it's lax attitude to this type of scam. Go on youtube and search for boiler room calls. Your blood will run cold the next time you see this scum when you really understand what they do for a living.

There is a saying that you can't con an honest man, only a greedy one, but most of these scummers prey on the vulnerable.

I can imagine people from that part of Aussie being gullible and unloveable - or maybe I don't understand Aussie humour. The initial suggestion was made to me by two Aussie friends, one from Perth and the other from Adelaide. wink.png

It's not Australian centrix, it's a global business, I just highlighted a documented example

£18 million in 3 years.

There is a saying that you can't con an honest man, only a greedy one, but most of these scummers prey on the vulnerable.

That's their modus operandi, they churn through thousands of calls every week being rightly told to eff off by we switched on individuals. Then they snare the vulnerable, the defenceless.

Anyone that takes the EASY and IGNORANT attitude that anyone that gets taken in by these scumbags deserves it is making it EASIER FOR THEM TO OPERATE.

Do not be complicit through ignorance, our older TV members will no doubt confirm that old age does not come alone. It is very common for older people to lose their self confidence and to become vulnerable for various reasons.

If this thread does nothing else but have some people reconsider their ill thought out attitude to this issue then it's worth it.

If we cannot help protect the weak then what kind of men are we?

Edited by theblether
  • Like 1

I have two words -- Bernie Madoff

The Ponzi Scheme is as old as coal, and many "sophisticated" investors have lost Billions...with a "B"

http://en.wikipedia..../Bernard_Madoff

Really, the gentlemen who was bilked has much company...sad to say.

I would like to say, that in over 40 years of travel, the only loss I suffered was at the hands of Europeans, not the local population. They stole $8,000 in travelers checks in 1980, which (thankfully) American Express covered. I still keep my "last resort, get me out of here" money in those checks. Nice to know that i always have enough for a flight home if needed.

Edited by RichardinBKK