Woman Gunned Down At Phuket Market

george

UPDATE:

Police this afternoon arrested three men in a pickup matching the description given by witnesses. The men were stopped at the Tah Chat Chai checkpoint, the sole checkpoint for all vehicles heading off-island. The men have been taken to Thung Thong Police Station for questioning.

Source: Phuket Gazette

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

Police this afternoon arrested three men in a pickup matching the description given by witnesses. The men were stopped at the Tah Chat Chai checkpoint, the sole checkpoint for all vehicles heading off-island. The men have been taken to Thung Thong Police Station for questioning.

Source: Phuket Gazette

That's great news, hope they have the right people in custody but if they have and they were in the same pickup then their not very bright are they or maybe they think their the untouchables. Maybe time will tell, after all it is Thailand

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Sorry, but do we know that the lady was killed, I cannot see it in the report.

you are correct it only says she was gunned down not the outcome, I have lived in thailand for only two weeks and am shocked at the number and variety of attacks on people, shootings, stabbings, muggings you name it have read about it.

That has less to do with being in Thailand and more to do with what you read. In your home country you probably didn't read things that concentrated on all the seamy news and those things meant to stir up the unwashed masses.

Perhaps, but there is a reason that Thailand is number 3 on the list of countries world-wide for death by gunshot wound. Justify it any way you want, but them is the facts.

• Like 1

you are correct it only says she was gunned down not the outcome, I have lived in thailand for only two weeks and am shocked at the number and variety of attacks on people, shootings, stabbings, muggings you name it have read about it.

Every state in the USA has news like this everyday. Thailand is safer than the USA any day.

Violence is violence in all parts of the world. Maybe Thailand is to scary for you?

I come from England, where I used to live it was a rural location. It is not that Thailand is a scary place to me, it is the mindless violence that happens, that I think is so sad. The Land of Smiles only if you look in the right places. I must also add that I have only had a good welcome from Thai nationals no obvious bad feeling towards foreigners.

• Like 1

Actually I have lived in Thailand for three years, and have never experienced or seen such, and rarely see anything like his reported outside places such as this. My experience is that Bangkok at least is far safer than the US... I hope the lady will recover.

• Like 1

Why we always read these stories happening in Phuket at a rate of 4-1 compared to Pattaya? It starts to be striking!

On the other hand I continue to say that Phuket is the center of cheating, scams, tuk-tuk mafia and crooks in Thailand. These outlaws are much more under control in Pattaya and the police over there is much more devoted to their job (and not to their extra-income) as in Phuket. I know police officer in Phuket who only know the difference between Thai and Farang but not between what is right or wrong (in the same order).

Edited by LivinginKata
Moderator remark removed
  • Like 1

Every state in the USA has news like this everyday. Thailand is safer than the USA any day.

Violence is violence in all parts of the world. Maybe Thailand is to scary for you?

You're right. There is violence like this all over the world.

But I suspect my chances of being randomly killed just going about my boring, daily life are much higher in Thailand than the USA.

Of course, I'm an upper-middle age (old), suburban domiciled, office worker that doesn't drink, doesn't do drug transactions, and doesn't have a habit of going out looking for trouble.

If you look behind the simple numbers of crime in the USA, those attributes seem to put me at pretty low risk of violence in the USA. I'm not so sure about here in Thailand.

And, of course, it's not just violence- it's traffic, electrocutions, factory accidents, fire fatalities, risks of falling into unmarked sinkholes, getting clotheslined by low hanging wires across the sidewalks and streets, and on and on...

It will be interesting if we ever get the full story behind this shooting, but I suspect we never will.

Mate, I am sorry to hear that you are so unhappy and so afraid. No-one should be that afraid of where they live. If you need any help getting the money together to get back home I am sure that people could get together and help you. You must have some friends that would help you out of the hell hole that you are in. I know, I know, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean that they are not out to get you, but, low hanging cables, electricity and traffic might be kinder and less calculating in your country of birth. Good luck and all the best...

The bottom line will be she has not paid the debts she owes.I lived in Phuket from 1988 to 2001,And the number of people that sort of disappeared from owing money(mostly gambling debts) was quite high. Then Phuket was quite to what it is now. Been back twice the last time last year.Not a nice place now even some of the locals i have known for years are fed up with all the problems happening there gambling and drugs.. Hua Hin is a wonderful place to live the local Thai's are some of the nicest people i have met in Thailand. You get problems every where in the world.But let them sort things out their way.

• Like 2

The Thai News is pretty good at printing crimes for all to read unlike the West where many crimes you never hear about...

Denial maybe. I live in a large beach resort town in US and we had I think 3 murders all of last year. How many in Phuket last year?

It's hard to see why the "foreign 'boyfriend'" bit has any business in an article about the vicious murder of a local seamstress.

Simple Thais are obsessed with farangs, brainwashed from birth about how glorious and superior they are, I live near a temple and as they ride past on their bikes all I hear all day is Farang this Farang that as they drive past their nosey beaks and necks screwed right round looking at the monkey farang that I am.

• Like 1

It's hard to see why the "foreign 'boyfriend'" bit has any business in an article about the vicious murder of a local seamstress.

Simple Thais are obsessed with farangs, brainwashed from birth about how glorious and superior they are, I live near a temple and as they ride past on their bikes all I hear all day is Farang this Farang that as they drive past their nosey beaks and necks screwed right round looking at the monkey farang that I am.

That's right, dance monkey boy, dance!

Being she was 55. I cannot believe she never marry or have previous boy friend. Or since her Boyfriend gone (out of Country she not have another) Being here in Thailand, and in Phuket...

Maybe these are leads Police should look into (Knowing how some minds work... and still further how some minds live from day to day) This is Thailand... Who said Crocodile Smile... :)

Will be interesting to see how... if this play's out... how and what "Actually" happened

• Like 1

The Thai News is pretty good at printing crimes for all to read unlike the West where many crimes you never hear about...

You have got it backwards. It's in the West where (in most countries) you have free press/media with history of aggressive investigative journalism. It's here in Thailand that investigative journalism is little to none and cowed by strict libel/slander laws (civil and criminal) and the threat of and use of violence.

• Like 1

I witnessed something similar in Pattaya, about 8 years ago. A female receptionist in the hotel next to mine was shot to death while she was working behind the counter. She, too, had a "foreign boyfriend", as the news report so contemptuously says. Turns out her husband came down from CM, walked into the hotel, and killed her. I then had the afternoon entertainment of seeing the BIB (their station was next to the hotel too, on the other side), blow the guy's head off right in front of my hotel window.

There is always a motive; always. If there two men went into a home to shoot someone, there is a definetly a motive; it certainly could not

been robbery, after all, how much money could a seamstress make.

It will be interesting to find out what the facts are.

Yes, I agree.

This appears to be some sort of premeditated attempted murder or murder of this woman. The facts speak for themselves, no robbery, no dispute or argument before the shooting, just two men in a vehicle waiting for the victim and than the shooting. This is not speculation and no need to be a genius to work this one out.

We do not know with whom or what these people are involved in, but obviously this is not a straightforward opportunist crime.

Why we always read these stories happening in Phuket at a rate of 4-1 compared to Pattaya? It starts to be striking!

On the other hand I continue to say that Phuket is the center of cheating, scams, tuk-tuk mafia and crooks in Thailand. These outlaws are much more under control in Pattaya and the police over there is much more devoted to their job (and not to their extra-income) as in Phuket. I know police officer in Phuket who only know the difference between Thai and Farang but not between what is right or wrong (in the same order).

Pattaya has it's share of scams, shootings, and other crimes. There have been plenty of shootings in Pattaya and the surrounding area. Almost all of it is Thai on Thai and gang/drug related. There are repeat incidents of purse/jewelry snatching by crooks on motorbikes. The tuk-tuk/baht-bus mafia does not seem to be as big a problem. As far as the police in Pattaya; I don't think that they are any less crooked than in Phuket. Why else would the long-running jetski scammers be able to continue their operations day after day even after being exposed on Thai TV??

• Like 1

Yes this type of news is used in place of the page 3 girls that you find in the British press.

Coming from the second most dangerous country in the world, Thailand is rather safe ranked at number 16.

Which ranking are you referring to, sources please?

My thoughts exactly...

The bottom line will be she has not paid the debts she owes.I lived in Phuket from 1988 to 2001,And the number of people that sort of disappeared from owing money(mostly gambling debts) was quite high. Then Phuket was quite to what it is now. Been back twice the last time last year.Not a nice place now even some of the locals i have known for years are fed up with all the problems happening there gambling and drugs.. Hua Hin is a wonderful place to live the local Thai's are some of the nicest people i have met in Thailand. You get problems every where in the world.But let them sort things out their way.

I had a strong suspicion it was money-related. Another scenario: more than a few farang have had death threats (or been murdered) when money was not paid as expected to a Thai builder. Farang can justify withholding payment for shoddy or incomplete work, but the builder sees it differently - sometimes to a fatal degree. Admittedly, just speculation on my part, but not implausible.

Coming from the second most dangerous country in the world, Thailand is rather safe ranked at number 16.

Which ranking are you referring to, sources please?

That truism (2nd most dangerous......) can be filed alongside the myth that the Great Wall of China can be seen from Space (it can't). The numbers are high for the US, because the US justice system is quite effective at catching, convicting and incarcerating criminals. If Thailand had a modicum of such a well oiled system, a significant proportion of its men would be locked up. Plus, in Thailand there are no legal repercussions for being a deadbeat dad - even if a man has abandoned dozens of children (he's sired) and their mothers. Same for date-rape or harboring a criminal - neither of which are considered crimes in Thailand.

Edited by maidu
  • Like 2

You're right. There is violence like this all over the world.

But I suspect my chances of being randomly killed just going about my boring, daily life are much higher in Thailand than the USA.

Of course, I'm an upper-middle age (old), suburban domiciled, office worker that doesn't drink, doesn't do drug transactions, and doesn't have a habit of going out looking for trouble.

If you look behind the simple numbers of crime in the USA, those attributes seem to put me at pretty low risk of violence in the USA. I'm not so sure about here in Thailand.

And, of course, it's not just violence- it's traffic, electrocutions, factory accidents, fire fatalities, risks of falling into unmarked sinkholes, getting clotheslined by low hanging wires across the sidewalks and streets, and on and on...

It will be interesting if we ever get the full story behind this shooting, but I suspect we never will.

I agree and don`t agree.

As regards your chances of being randomly killed just going about your daily life are much higher in Thailand than the USA, than I strongly suggest that you read the international headlines each day.

I feel and have always felt much safer from being a victim of crime in Thailand than I ever did in the UK or in Amerca and in many parts of Europe. I wonder if you actually live in Thailand or are just an occasional tourist that after spending a couple of weeks here believe you are an expert on Thailand? .

I do fully agree with your comment; that there are higher risks in Thailand of accidents from it's traffic, electrocutions, factory accidents, fire fatalities, risks of falling into unmarked sinkholes, getting clotheslined by low hanging wires across the sidewalks and streets, and on and on...

• Like 1

You'll soon learn more :(

According to the wisdom of Wikipedia, which has a comprehensive chart of the firearm-related deaths in over 60 countries, you are about 3 times more likely to be killed by a firearm in Thailand compared to the USA, and about 60 times more likely to end that way in Thailand than in the UK. Thailand ranks 8th behind some notoriously dangerous countries >>>

http://en.wikipedia....ated_death_rate

( Per 100,000 of population in one year.)

That truism (2nd most dangerous......) can be filed alongside the myth that the Great Wall of China can be seen from Space (it can't). The numbers are high for the US, because the US justice system is quite effective at catching, convicting and incarcerating criminals. If Thailand had a modicum of such a well oiled system, a significant proportion of its men would be locked up. Plus, in Thailand there are no legal repercussions for being a deadbeat dad - even if a man has abandoned dozens of children (he's sired) and their mothers. Same for date-rape or harboring a criminal - neither of which are considered crimes in Thailand.

These.

Anybody believing different might want to get off the pink tourist cloud.

Edited by happysanook
  • Like 2

I lived in Thailand between 2002 and 2005. Beheadings down south of Thailand by Muslims were a big thing then, are they still now ? Heard anything about that ? They even went after police. Gunned down the police chief leaving his home.

According to the wisdom of Wikipedia, which has a comprehensive chart of the firearm-related deaths in over 60 countries, you are about 3 times more likely to be killed by a firearm in Thailand compared to the USA, and about 60 times more likely to end that way in Thailand than in the UK. Thailand ranks 8th behind some notoriously dangerous countries >>>

http://en.wikipedia....ated_death_rate

( Per 100,000 of population in one year.)

That's because in America in most states you are allowed to buy your right to bear arms and protect yourself (although you will be put in jail for defending yourself)...criminals think twice about using a gun because the so called victim may have one as well.....fair fight..Of course the American gov. is fighting hard for the rights of criminals and keep trying to ban all guns, so things might change in the future where the only people with guns are the criminals....like Thailand... I am correct in assuming guns are outlawed in Thailand, am I right ?