Qatarair, Refund Excessive

I did an internet business class booking on QatarAir, which I normally like. The booking was done in February for April.

Still in February I had to cancel that April flight and booked an immediate BC in February.

QR web site sucks said someone. It sure did. My refund claim was never responded to. I got QR BKK office involved which was very helpful. Still it need 10 emails until my request was heard. But before refunding the February ticket QR is demanding 4000b in refund fee.

Question= Is it normal to charge a refund fee if the cancelation was done months before the actual flight date?

4000b sounds very hefty.#

For all the trouble ,emails plus no refund for months I as a privilege member had expected a more considered attitude, even some extra miles.

What is your experience?

Qatar I believe have a cancellation policy of Qatar Riyal 500, some airlines depending on the class of ticket you buy have no cancellation refund or no change of ticket dates.

OP I don't feel you have been over charged in this instance if the Qatar policy is still 500 Riyal for cancellation.

Edited by MB1

That means I cannot book as long there is uncertainty about the final flight date? Even if I buy another ticket on the day of cancelation? Is that the same if I buy the ticket in a travel agency?

The best thing you can do in my opinion Thaiphuket is to go to the website of your chosen airline and read very carefully their terms and conditions with regards to ticket cancellation and change of ticket dates and what the costs are.

I never use travel agents/ticket agencies, as in the past I have learnt that they'll tell me anything to secure the sale of a ticket to earn their fee/commission.

HTH.

Edited by MB1

The only way to get a fully refundable ticket is to pay the full fare price, most airlines quote their cheapest prices on their websites and these come with conditions. Buyer Beware

last year I had to buy tickets for a funeral in the UK, so got from a company I know well, then I was told that the funeral would have to be put back due to the body not being released, so I had to change the tickets, the cost 5000baht per ticket, this was however with Etihad, so OP I would gladly pay the 4000baht.

If I remember correctly, you cancelled your booking because there was a new promotion by Qatar Airways for a much cheaper price.

Next time before you book read the ticket conditions for the sub-class of ticket you want to book, i.e. business class has several sub-classes, which all carry different restrictions and/or penalties, and these conditions are readily available on the booking page. Just click on - Fare Rules - in the trip summary on the right hand side of step 3 of the booking process.

BTW 4.000 Baht seems correct to me.

Hope to have helped

Yermaneewai.gif

• Like 1

I have to agree that the 4000 Baht is not excessive for a cancellation. When I once asked Etihad to either cancel or change a flight I was asked for £70 which is only a little less than the OP is being asked for.

That means I cannot book as long there is uncertainty about the final flight date? Even if I buy another ticket on the day of cancellation? Is that the same if I buy the ticket in a travel agency? unquote

Surely if you are unsure of the final flight date then you need to be aware that booking a flight and then cancelling costs the company money, time and effort. Surely they should be compensated for your own uncertainty or simply because you change your mind?

Seems to me that you can either book when you are sure of your dates or take out insurance against loss of travel - but needing to have good reason to make a claim.

No problem with compensation for cancellations, fullstop. But if I buy another flight on the day of cancellation plus all of this is done months before the canceled flight is to take off, I believe that is worth some consideration.

I tend to agree that unless one does a last minute cancellation, some consideration should be given. I still think travel agency is the way to go if one is unsure of their dates or at least keep the booking opened! This is especially true when planning journey to the orient!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

No problem with compensation for cancellations, fullstop. But if I buy another flight on the day of cancellation plus all of this is done months before the canceled flight is to take off, I believe that is worth some consideration.

Read the terms and conditions, you may believe its reasonable but thats not what you agree to when you click the pay button.

• Like 1

I tend to agree that unless one does a last minute cancellation, some consideration should be given. I still think travel agency is the way to go if one is unsure of their dates or at least keep the booking opened! This is especially true when planning journey to the orient!

Sent from my GT-P6200 using Thaivisa Connect App

Most airlines do give consideration by the act of giving information on their websites letting people know what the cancellation fees are if applicable, or letting people know what the fee is to change ticket dates if applicable.

It's all up to the customer to take time and read the information given and decide then whether or not to accept the t&c's and buy the ticket or not.

HTH.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

I do have some sympathy for the OP, one might expect an airline to treat a Business-Class passenger better, than the rest of us down-the-back, perhaps one free change-of-date in this case might have generated positive-feedback, about Qatar Airways ?

I do have some sympathy for the OP, one might expect an airline to treat a Business-Class passenger better, than the rest of us down-the-back, perhaps one free change-of-date in this case might have generated positive-feedback, about Qatar Airways ?

Airlines do treat business-class passengers better than economy passengers.

However in the booking process Qatar gives you 3 different options regarding the price i.e. Business Restricted (cheapest), Business Semi-flexible (more expensive), and BIZFlex (most expensive).

It's up to you to check the difference in conditions BEFORE you choose which option is best for you.

If you choose the cheapest option then you have to be prepared for the eventual consequences of your OWN choice.

But as always it's easier to blame the airlines isn't it?

Just my opinion.

Yermaneewai.gif

• Like 1

There is no industry standard. Each airline is free to make its own rules, set its own fees for flight changes and cancellations.

Indeed, as for example Finnair's business class promotion has a 15.000 Baht fine for changing dates.sick.gif

Yermaneewai.gif