Ever Had Your Car Tire Punctured - 2Nd Road In Front Of Restaurant?

lovetotravel

I parked near the Avenue last night on 2nd road. In front of a restaurant where the guard gave us a real dirty look as we were parking. He didn't say anything, but the look was there. Upon return, the tire had been slashed. Didn't figure it out for a few blocks as it was quite late. Tire is ruined.

Just curious if this has ever happened to anybody else. My neighbors said it happened to them before.

angry.png

Yes It has happened to me, and a long keying on one side of the car.

It is not legal to stop people parking in front of any shop or restaurant but the owners feel that that stretch of the kerb is theirs regardless and get very possessive about it. Only in some rare circumstances, such a privately owned Soi or Cul de Sac, is it possible to lay legal claim to any area beyond the kerb.

I once parked my Honda Phantom in front of a restaurant on a small soi off of Soi 7. As I was parking, a lady ran out from the restaurant and yelled at me, telling me that the parking spaces were reserved for patrons of the restaurant, all but 1 of which (there were 5 as i recall) were empty. I said that it was a public street and that I could park there, and I did. When I returned about 1 and 1/2 hours later, I saw a thin, long nail stuck in my front tire just below the fender. It was pretty visible, and just barely pushed into the rubber of the tire, and removed it with no damage. I took it as a "warning" -- I have never parked there again or eaten in that restaurant. Try parking in the curb side parking spaces seconded by the motorbike taxi drivers for their motorbikes. They will make it clear very quickly that you cannot park there, and if you do that you will not like the condition of your car when you return. TIT.

I would have been happy with a warning! That's happened before by the scooter taxi guys. I kinda understand. Barely. But I knew to move on. This time, no warning.

Well, I know if I got a dirty look from a security guard as I was parking I would find somewhere else to park. Not justifying it but that is kind of a warning.

I also tend to ignore when they chase me away from public property.

I once took a picture of the security guard from the restaurant with my phone and told him in no uncertain terms that he better makes sure that nothing happens to my car. Worked for that time around...

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App

Go back to the same place once you have the dash cam fitted. Take Jingthing with you Go into the restaurant and order food.

Your car might not be safe but we would get a restauarnt review from JT

I know, not what you wantd to hear but the word "restaurant" just ain't the same if JT is not in the same sentence

• Like 2

Everybody who lives in Pattaya/Thailand more than a few weeks, should know there's an "unwritten law", not to park long time in front of a restaurant/shop/taxi stand/whatever!

If you need to park there (maybe just a few mins, to buy something in a seven), ask friendly and you won't have any probs.

My wife has a shop, and sometimes, some idiots people (95% farang) think, they must block five or six mocy parking lots with their car.

I never approve to damage cars or motorcycles, but I can understand, when some shop owners/taxi guys are "annoyed" about people (many times with bad manners) , who care a sh*t about other ones business.

So: som nam na...lesson learnt, hopefully tongue.png

Edited by roban

Most of the time in Pattaya it is so the shop owner will have a place to park his/her private vehicle. It has nothing to do with customers.

This is just wrong, all the shop owners in our shop house, park their cars "somewhere", because they don't want to block their entrances!

Edited by roban

I think that parking a car in a place that clearly impedes customer entrance to a bar, restaurant etc is obviously unacceptable. But parking on a public road where parking is allowed, but doesn't impede customers in any way, is surely up to you. Not for some bar or restaurant owner to dictate where you can or cannot park! It's not just Thais either, i was with a friend on Second Rd when he parked on the street with a pavement between the road and a bar, not impeding anyone, he was popping across the road to an office to pick some papers up, would have been 2 minutes. The Falang bar owner came flying out of his empty bar, all attitude and started screaming,"You can't park there". When it was politely pointed out to him that it was a public road the cheeky sod actually said, "If you park there i'm going to scratch your car"! My friend stared at him and told him,"If you scratch my car i'm going to smash your bar up"! Of course he backed down and slunk back into his bar as these types usually do when fronted up.

Everybody who lives in Pattaya/Thailand more than a few weeks, should know there's an "unwritten law", not to park long time in front of a restaurant/shop/taxi stand/whatever!

If you need to park there (maybe just a few mins, to buy something in a seven), ask friendly and you won't have any probs.

My wife has a shop, and sometimes, some idiots people (95% farang) think, they must block five or six mocy parking lots with their car.

I never approve to damage cars or motorcycles, but I can understand, when some shop owners/taxi guys are "annoyed" about people (many times with bad manners) , who care a sh*t about other ones business.

So: som nam na...lesson learnt, hopefully tongue.png

I agree, everybody is trying to park their cars in the city and I can understand that the restaurants/shop owners guard the parking space in front of their place vigorously, but in OP's case the guard should at last have told OP that parking is not allowed there, instead of just slicing his tire. On Beach road many restaurants have a guard blocking the parking space with a plastic chair or similar so the message is very clear: No eating, no parking.

How do you guys think a dash cam will save the day? I got a dash cam and it don't cover any of the wheels area but only the front of the car, so if the offender comes from the side, you will have nothing worth recorded? You can't cover all 4 wheels with one cam either, you will need min 2 cams.

The root problem in my opinion is the way Patts have evolved from a small fishing village to a tourist resort without any proper planing, but they just added on as they saw/see fit and I don't think that you can blame anybody really, who would have thought about that in the 1960 - 1970 where there was not many cars around.

The traffic here is horrible every weekend/holidays and I am afraid it not gonna get better unless they start using drastic measures; like fees for driving inside the City for non residents but that will never happen

Public roads are public roads. If there is space at the curbside that is not clearly marked with yellow or red stripes as a no parking zone, you can park there.

If you are losing business because your customers cannot park at your restaurant, you're probably in a bad location.

• Like 2

Public roads are public roads. If there is space at the curbside that is not clearly marked with yellow or red stripes as a no parking zone, you can park there.

If you are losing business because your customers cannot park at your restaurant, you're probably in a bad location.

i agree with what you say but in reality this is Thailand and those business owners have different ideas. If you see a very ugly look move your car or else.

I parked my car outside a local mexican restaurant off of Thapraya road while I was eating at the restaurant. The restaurant is in a residential area and there is no parking at all. Of course I made sure I was not blocking any cars or businesses during my time in the restaurant. One of the neighbors came into the restaurant with a pick axe and started screaming at me to move the car. I told him that once I finished eating I would be happy to move it. He proceeded to put the axe through my windshield.

Last time I ever go to that restaurant again.....

No, we did not eat there. Lots of spaces, but right in front of a row of restaurants.

And yes, I am getting that dash cam. Was thinking the same thing. Wouldn't that be great!

Careful. Publication of such videos may result in some serious loss of face and the end result may be bad. You're identifiable by the registration plates. Just sayin' ..

Another thing which I often experience is that shop owners put chairs or other obstacles in the official marked parking spaces in front of their shop to prevent people from parking.

A very bad example of these practices is the road where banglamung post office is.It upsets me a lot as there is already very limited parking space.

I once asked one shopowner overthere, who by the way doesn't join in these practices, if those stupid people don't understand that if the customer can't park nearby the shop they will probably just drive on to the next shop.

Come on guys. 2nd road has hundreds of cars parked on it. The section I parked was on the right just before The Avenue. That whole area back to South Pattaya road has dozens of places to park. There were no red or yellow stripes and cars were in front of me and behind me. The guard was standing there, I looked at him, and he didn't say anything. A look, but you can get that from any guard. I even waited for a response. Nothing. A warning and I would have moved. Even though that would be illegal for them to do. I would have respected that or given him 100B. Easy.

There was no entrance to this restaurant from the street. There's a nice sidewalk and very tall curb there, as you all know.

Parking in Pattaya is a real problem. FYI. On the way back from the restaurant, we did see a nice place to park on Soi 12. 50B all night with an attendant. Or next time, I'll park at the Avenue, I think it's 40B.

Regarding the dash cam, you could put it on the passenger window and point it across the interior of the car. Great shot of anybody who comes up to your car and kneels down.

I've gotten some PMs and it appears this place is well known as being a problem.

Interesting thread. Yeah I've had nails put in my motorbike tyres when I've apparently parked in the wrong place. You can complain all you like about it being public roads and public parking etc but it's you that has to deal with a flat tyre when you return to your car/bike.

Most of the time in Pattaya it is so the shop owner will have a place to park his/her private vehicle. It has nothing to do with customers.

This is just wrong, all the shop owners in our shop house, park their cars "somewhere", because they don't want to block their entrances!

It is not wrong.

Read my post again. I said MOST of the time, not ALL of the time. So your group is the exception.

I am now supposed to forget the past 25 years living in Pattaya and finding parking places blocked with plastic chairs only to see the establishment owner drive up and his staff remove the chairs so he can park there?

Maybe you need to get out more.