Suicide Bomber Kills 4 French Troops In Afghanistan

News_Editor

Suicide bomber kills 4 French troops in Afghanistan < br />

2012-06-10 10:16:56 GMT+7 (ICT)

NIJRAB, AFGHANISTAN (BNO NEWS) -- Four French soldiers were killed on Saturday morning when a suicide bomber dressed in a burqa blew himself up near their patrol in eastern Afghanistan, Afghan and French officials said. Two Afghan interpreters were also killed.

The attack happened at around 9 a.m. local time when French soldiers disembarked from their armored vehicles to make contact with Afghan civilians at a small bazaar north of Nijrab, a village in Kapisa province which borders Pakistan. "That's when an Afghan detonated his explosives while surrounded by a group of French soldiers," a spokesperson for the French Ministry of Defense said.

The ministry said four French soldiers and two of their Afghan interpreters were killed, in addition to the unidentified suicide bomber. Injured were five French soldiers, three of them seriously, and two Afghan civilians who were flown to a military hospital in Kabul. The condition of the Afghan civilians was not immediately known.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack. "A heroic Mujahid (Muslim fighter) of the Islamic Emirate (Taliban), Mutiualllah, coming from Kabul province, took the said group of French invaders off guard and blew up his explosive-filled vest among them," he said.

The Afghan interior ministry said the attacker was disguised as a woman by wearing a burqa.

French President François Hollande condemned the attack and expressed his condolences to the families of the victims. "I wish to express my gratitude and that of the whole nation to our soldiers," he said. "I salute their dedication and courage. I know the strength of character of our troops engaged in Afghanistan."

Hollande said he asked Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian and army chief Edouard Guillaud to visit French troops in Afghanistan on Sunday to support them. "A national tribute will be paid to the victims and the wounded will be repatriated as soon as possible," he said during a news conference. "A plane has already left and will ensure they are back as soon as possible."

The new French president also announced France will begin its troop withdrawal from Afghanistan in July and complete it by the end of the year. It was the first confirmation of when the French pullout will begin, but it was not immediately clear if the July start date had already been chosen or if it was set after Saturday's deadly attack.

"This operation (to withdraw French troops) will begin in July," Hollande said on Saturday. "It will be implemented and completed by the end of the year in 2012. Until then, everything must be done for our troops to meet their obligations but with a high level of security and greater vigilance."

Last month, days after being sworn into office, Hollande made a surprise visit to Afghanistan to meet with French troops, pay his respects to the French soldiers killed during the war, and meet with Afghan President Hamid Karzai. A total of 87 French service members have now died in Afghanistan since the war began in 2001.

Hollande has received criticism for going ahead with his election pledge to pull out French combat troops by the end of 2012, a year earlier than the deadline set by former president Nicolas Sarkozy and two years before the 130,000-strong U.S.-led NATO force is scheduled to withdraw.

"The mission of fighting terrorism and chasing out the Taliban is close to being accomplished," Hollande said during his visit to Afghanistan last month. "This is something we can be very proud of." With about 3,300 soldiers, France is the fifth largest contributor to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF). Hollande wants to withdraw 2,000 of them by the end of the year, leaving only 1,300 non-combat troops.

The new French president has said the withdrawal, which he called a 'sovereign decision', will take place in close consultation with the Afghan government and NATO allies. The remaining 1,300 non-combat troops will oversee the repatriation of equipment, provide support and train Afghan security forces.

U.S. President Barack Obama previously ordered a drawdown of 23,000 U.S. troops by the end of this summer, and foreign combat troops are due to leave Afghanistan by the end of 2014. The ISAF force currently includes some 90,000 U.S. soldiers and more than 9,500 British soldiers.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-10

Hollande has reiterated that this attack neither accelerates or slows down the French programme of withdrawing 2000 of its 3500 strong contingent by end of 2012.

Interesting timing that this attack takes place the weekend of the first round of the French parliamentary elections, or maybe I am just getting too cynical!

• Like 1

Hollande has reiterated that this attack neither accelerates or slows down the French programme of withdrawing 2000 of its 3500 strong contingent by end of 2012.

Interesting timing that this attack takes place the weekend of the first round of the French parliamentary elections, or maybe I am just getting too cynical!

Well spotted!smile.png

And how would this influence the results? Many French would want some sort of retaliation, while others would want a faster withdrawal. If anything, it will harden the resolves of voters on either side of the electoral coin, but won't convince voters to change political support.

And how would this influence the results? Many French would want some sort of retaliation, while others would want a faster withdrawal. If anything, it will harden the resolves of voters on either side of the electoral coin, but won't convince voters to change political support.

It's not a question of affecting the results, don't think the Taliban give a hoot about them. The last major incident involving multiple French deaths was the green-on-blue killing of 4 French soldiers in Jan 2012. The outcry about this catalysed public opinion against the war and soon after Sarkozy pledged to bring combat troops home a year early in 2013.

if there was an ulterior motive to the latest attack perhaps the deaths plus the pressure of elections might get Hollande to further accelerate the withdrawal timetable, obviously an outcome preferred by the Taliban.

• Like 1

It's not a question of affecting the results, don't think the Taliban give a hoot about them. The last major incident involving multiple French deaths was the green-on-blue killing of 4 French soldiers in Jan 2012. The outcry about this catalysed public opinion against the war and soon after Sarkozy pledged to bring combat troops home a year early in 2013.

if there was an ulterior motive to the latest attack perhaps the deaths plus the pressure of elections might get Hollande to further accelerate the withdrawal timetable, obviously an outcome preferred by the Taliban.

The latter part of your post is somewhat speculative , but I for one am convinced it's not far off the marksmile.png

"The Afghan interior ministry said the attacker was disguised as a woman by wearing a burqa." Quote ( A religious requirement)

I can see why it is so important for muslims to insist on their women wearing a burqua everywhere in the world ,what a perfect weapon ! To be allowed to circulate virtually incognito and cause mayhem is quite an advantage .

A real religion of peace !

• Like 2

I don't believe the bombers or their handlers on he ground can tell a French soldier from any other. So these French soldiers were just unlucky.

"The Afghan interior ministry said the attacker was disguised as a woman by wearing a burqa." Quote ( A religious requirement)

I can see why it is so important for muslims to insist on their women wearing a burqua everywhere in the world ,what a perfect weapon ! To be allowed to circulate virtually incognito and cause mayhem is quite an advantage .

A real religion of peace !

Ironically burqas have been part of ISAF SF wardrobes right from the start of the Afghan campaign. They do hide a multitude of things, though the getting the footwear right is more problematic!

I don't believe the bombers or their handlers on he ground can tell a French soldier from any other. So these French soldiers were just unlucky.

There are distinct national areas of operation for ISAF forces, so in Kapisa it is almost entirely French forces. For the more geeky Taliban the French have very distinctive weapons and vehicles, and the easiest form of recognition is on the shoulder of all ISAF troops (see below).

french-soldiers_793165c.jpg