Customs Officials Checking Shipped Goods - Suggestions?

praglen

I have been lucky in the past, receiving a Netbook PC thru the U.S.Postal Service, delivered to my condo. I am having a friend ship my used Notebook PC to me, using the same US. Postal Service via Priority Mail this week. I am also receiving a small shipment of 3 new iPhone clones from China next week.

If neither shipment is labeled Caution: Elecronics or other Warning signs, what is the likelihood either or both of these will be intercepted and I'll be forced to pay the horrendous import tax? Is there a way to label, ship or otherwise have these packages shipped to minimize this possibility?

I ask people to take any products I want out of their original packaging and to repackage them in a complete unrelated box (hard-drive in a food packet, etc). I have them put this in a plastic shopping bag (Tesco is good for me as I am British and customs know this brand to be not so hi-so) and wrap it up. When they package it I have them mark it as a "Gift (2nd hand)" and send it normal postage. To date I have had a number of electrical items sent here with retail values up to £200 in this manner and there have been no problems.

Remember that "signed for" depends on the receiving country running a tight system. Being that everything for our apartment block is "signed for" by the maid there is little to stop somebody in Thailand "signing for" it to say that has been received and pocketing the item. I trust the Royal Thai Post a lot, but there are a number of hand-over stages where these things can be intercepted. Stealth is the answer.

Anything over £200 I tend to ask friends and family to bring them over for me.

I have been lucky in the past, receiving a Netbook PC thru the U.S.Postal Service, delivered to my condo. I am having a friend ship my used Notebook PC to me, using the same US. Postal Service via Priority Mail this week. I am also receiving a small shipment of 3 new iPhone clones from China next week.

If neither shipment is labeled Caution: Elecronics or other Warning signs, what is the likelihood either or both of these will be intercepted and I'll be forced to pay the horrendous import tax? Is there a way to label, ship or otherwise have these packages shipped to minimize this possibility?

Isnt what your doing illegal and isnt discussing illegal acts a breach of forum rules. just a thought.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

Well, we are certainly borderlininig here...

Just to clarify this as a moderator and freight forwarder: anything shipped into Thailand is subject to import clearance and possible duties. If your shipments slips through the system consider yourself lucky.

As this is the only correct answer and we don't really want to discuss how to avoid payments you are legally obliged to, we better close this thread B)

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1